Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

48 minutes ago, Mommar said:

You just beat me to it.

Let’s not forget the Nilo Rodis concept 3 too.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/100018

I don't know where they're getting these designs from, but that looks like someone sat on a melted Excelsior.

18 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I don't know where they're getting these designs from, but that looks like someone sat on a melted Excelsior.

That was one of the concepts of the Excelsior one of the guys at ILM came up with prior to shooting Star Trek III.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

Oh my that's pretty.

e6e1c718-6845-404b-a8b0-05018e12bf37.jpg

I've always really appreciated the reference too... kind of a missed opportunity to not call it the Havock-class, like the HMS Thunder Child from The War of the Worlds it's named for.  It would've been surprisingly appropriate, given that the ship's debut was against the Borg, who find chaos (havoc) distressing beyond belief.

3 hours ago, Sildani said:

You beat me to it.

26 minutes ago, Mommar said:

Any of you Battlestar guys get the Raptor?  I’ve always liked that design.

https://shop.eaglemoss.com/usa/battlestar-galactica/raptor-2004

Yup, I got the Raptor. While I’m not the biggest fan of the Raptor, it is a nice little model.

Chris

On 8/25/2019 at 9:58 AM, Sildani said:

Let's hope they spell FEDERATION correctly this time. 

On 8/23/2019 at 9:21 PM, Mommar said:

You just beat me to it.

Let’s not forget the Nilo Rodis concept 3 too.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/100018

Has anyone bothered to make a Starfleet Designer app? You could just randomly mate saucers, hull sections and warp nacelles and come up with the latest ship of the hour.

No disrespect to Nilo Rodis, though, he designed the BoP.

There have probably been multiple "Starship Builder" games over the years, but I think they're all from long ago at this point, and nothing like you would find on a mobile device.

Here's one at least, nice menu music, but that's probably the best part of program.  It's really not much of a game, just something that lets you mess with a bunch of ship configuration and crew options, and then runs automated tests on the ship.

Edit: Apparently, it even had a sequel, which the wiki article mentions did not review well. :lol:  (Judging by the photos, I believe the video might be of the second one.)

Maximum PC magazine listed it as one of its "Lemons of the Year" for 2000, saying that "It's worse than a hangover from drinking too much Romulan ale, or contracting Tribble VD."[8]

Edited by Chronocidal

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched his XL Excelsior, and XL Ent-D reviews, and noted these issues that weren't commented on (which shows a lack of basic research into the ships by Eaglemoss)

1.  The Excelsior is missing the "trench" where the neck and saucer meet.  There's a "gap" there, but nothing like the huge carved-out area of the real thing:

SC_1000_EXCELa_515.jpg

(couldn't find a handy pic of the real thing that shows it clearly) 

2.  The Excelsior has the extended Ent-B style of fins on the rear of the nacelles.  (no, they didn't royally screw up and add the upper ones, but the ones on the side/rear corner, should be shorter for the original Excelsior class---they shouldn't extend beyond the edge of the nacelle--this is quite evident in the review video when he shows the booklet, that has a nice top-down view of the "real" (CG?) Excelsior---you can see the fins on that one are a good bit shorter (and correct).  

3.  Ent D---shuttlebays 2 and 3 look to be the same size, or only SLIGHTLY different.  The stbd one (#3) should be like twice as big:

articl10.jpg

ent-comparison.jpg

It’s thought Eaglemoss took the DS9-era 36” studio model to do the XL-sior with... surprised you didn’t catch the fact the deflector array grid “paneling” was actually off-kilter... the lines should be perfectly fore-aft and port-starboard, on the XL-sior they’re offset, bisecting those cardinal directions. 

Edited by Sildani

One thing I noticed immediately but forgot to mention:  The neck.  Where's the ribbing?  It's like, 1/10 of what it should be. 

I've only seen the Excelsior neck done properly once, and that was a guy who made it from scratch, to replace the Ertl kit's.  It's not actually "ribbed" or "grooved".  It's actually just a stack of layers.  The smaller/inner layer, and the larger/outer layer.  Just alternate the 2 sizes, one on top of the next. 

::edit::  Found it:

Fig.gif

1 hour ago, Sandman said:

Is there any differences between DS9 and Terak Nor?

Maybe they'll follow it up with an Empok Nor, which'll look exactly the same as the other two but with a stand that's canted at a 70 degree angle.

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Is there any differences between DS9 and Terak Nor?

One has Bajoran workers, one has Bajoran officers. 

My Akira-XL just shipped! Woo!!

Ordered the XL Akira class. Probably the best looking non-hero Federation ship. 

The XL Warbird looks tempting though I wish they had scaled it to the XL Enterprise-D just so we could appreciate just how much more massive it is. The scale was never really conveyed that well in the show. 

So this arrived. Heavy guy, it’s mostly metal. Interesting tidbit: it doesn’t explicitly say USS Thunderchild ANYWHERE on the model, although it’s on the box. I’m very pleased, regardless!

Edit: UK based eBayer aheebob has already made waterslide decals saying “USS Thunderchild” available for this model for about $10 shipped to the US. 

F3632646-8949-4733-88CB-F9B82CE143C6.jpeg

Edited by Sildani