Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

Nebula Class XL where?

I do have a issue with Star Trek Federation designs.  Rather than making small variations in ships, the ship designers or people in charge seem happier Frankensteining ships together.  It's one thing if your are cannibalizing parts from ship remains to repair/rebuild ships because you are in the middle of a war, but these "variants" seem way too lazy and unrealistic.  Generally the variations we see the Nebula Class ships, to me, are more realistic.  Maintenance would be a nightmare if not for replicator technology.

28 minutes ago, DewPoint said:

Nebula Class XL where?

I do have a issue with Star Trek Federation designs.  Rather than making small variations in ships, the ship designers or people in charge seem happier Frankensteining ships together.  It's one thing if your are cannibalizing parts from ship remains to repair/rebuild ships because you are in the middle of a war, but these "variants" seem way too lazy and unrealistic.  Generally the variations we see the Nebula Class ships, to me, are more realistic.  Maintenance would be a nightmare if not for replicator technology.

What you really have is an issue with budgetary and time constraints on production of television/films...

What's a funnier discussion to have is how many Star Trek model kits get used in Star Trek shows.  I'm pretty sure the USS Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" was made from the original AMT kit released at the time. :lol:

The same thing happened in Return of the Jedi, if I recall.. a lot of the ships used in the Endor sequence were the MPC kits.  These even got re-used in Star Tours, and if you look really closely on the ride, you can actually see the mounting pins those old kits used to hold the wings together.

4 hours ago, Mommar said:

What you really have is an issue with budgetary and time constraints on production of television/films...

I believe that's part of it.  Back in WWII days it was the norm to have about 4 ships in a particular class before building the next improved design based on the performance of the proceeding class.  Post WWII we see anywhere from 10 to 30 of any of the more successful(?) destroyer designs as well as 1 to 5 of a myriad cruiser designs.  So, yeah, nothing wrong with making new ship designs, but they really don't need to.  I guess it's the Director's or Producer's choice?

14 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I believe that's part of it.  Back in WWII days it was the norm to have about 4 ships in a particular class before building the next improved design based on the performance of the proceeding class.  Post WWII we see anywhere from 10 to 30 of any of the more successful(?) destroyer designs as well as 1 to 5 of a myriad cruiser designs.  So, yeah, nothing wrong with making new ship designs, but they really don't need to.  I guess it's the Director's or Producer's choice?

Those changes might be near unrecognizable from the look of the ship though.  Usually having to do with more AA guns and more reliable engines or internals or a slightly elongated hull.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 7:28 PM, Chronocidal said:

What's a funnier discussion to have is how many Star Trek model kits get used in Star Trek shows.  I'm pretty sure the USS Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" was made from the original AMT kit released at the time. :lol:

It's bugged me to this day, that they rearranged the decals to make "NCC-1017" instead of "NCC-1710", which screwed up the whole registry number system, when there was a super-easy blatantly obvious alternative staring them in the face... 

(or, if the budget allowed---buy TWO kits, then you could make 1707, 1711, 1717, etc)    

14 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

(or, if the budget allowed---buy TWO kits, then you could make 1707, 1711, 1717, etc)     

Pretty sure the budget didn't allow two off-the-shelf model kits.  Star Trek was perpetually cash-strapped.

But 1710 was definitely a better choice.

Side conversation --- sorry for the OT question, well kinda OT -- Anyone here built up the Round 2 AMT 1/2500 Enterprises? I was thinking of pickup up the D or maybe the whole 7 pack to have all 7 E's in the same scale. Just wondering about the quality of the kits. I've built two of the older bigger Enterprise D kits back in the 90's. 

So I had to go look up a review of the 7-pack you mentioned, because I wasn't aware it existed, but it (sadly) turns out just what I expected: a re-boxing that combines some very old AMT molds with some slightly-less-old AMT molds, along with what might be a relatively new mold of the NX-01.  I'll spoiler the details so as not to derail too much.

Spoiler

Having built all of these kits except the NX-01 in the past, I don't know if I would really recommend all of them.  The quality of the oldest set (the three pack of TV, Refit, and TNG versions), is bare-bones, very slim on any sort of detail at all, and just very plain.  Very old molding technology, and I don't recall the fit being great.  The TV and Refit ships are also really only a couple inches long.

The pack with the B, C, and E was much better, having come out probably a decade after the previous one, and was originally a snap-fit set.  The molding and detail is a quantum leap over the previous set, and I recall the fit being pretty decent.

Now.. what is something to consider with this new box set is that they include... well, I have a hard time calling them "decals."  It looks like they flat out printed an entire skin-wrap for every ship, enough to cover every bit of blank plastic on them.  I can't say how well that will work for the B, C, and E, since they had much more molded detail, but it does have the potential of making the TV, Refit, and D into something very presentable.

Anyhow, I'm actually intrigued by this set now, and if I see it for a good price, I might pick it up.  I did find a pretty lengthy review of them, so might be worth a watch.  The preview of them looks pretty fantastic, which I have to attribute to the decal wraps, because none of those kits has remotely that much molded detail.  I think the bottom line will really come down to how much you like applying decals. :lol: 

Yup, decal decal decal.  Panel lines are sparse, and deep. Fit's not too bad, *by AMT standards*.   (this is going by the previous 3-packs, not the newer 7-pack).  They'd probably actually look better with the panel lines etc puttied in.   Just dunk the whole ship in Mr Surfacer, sand smooth, spray light grey (some more bluish, some more greenish), then decal away.    

Having watched that review, it looks like they performed minor retools of the older three pack to make it snap-fit.  Otherwise, the kits look identical in part breakdown.  And in hindsight, with the trouble certain decals gave him, you might be better off masking and painting some of those kits.  For all the trouble the C and E seemed to give him, the decals look like mostly solid colors, with the major details being molded in.  The E especially looks like the decals were really underwhelmingly plain.

Funny enough, the older three ships seemed to come out better overall, with the lack of molded features being a better surface for the decals.  I'd probably just get the D kit by itself.

Anyhow, course correcting back on-topic, are there any more details about the XL Akira?  Depending on the paintjob, that's one ship I'd seriously consider getting, just due to the lack of any other kit or toy of it being available.

Thanks guys!  I actually found ModelChili's review earlier at work and watched it!  I've followed his builds before.  I might end up just doing the D, but I do like the idea of having them all in scale. @Chronocidal, Starship Modeler has the set of 7 for $65.95 plus shipping. 3 in stock. It's a legit place, John the guy who runs it is a good guy. 

Anywhoo..B.O.T..The XL Runabout is up on the Eaglemoss website, but it looks as though they just took the pics from the smaller one..LOL. No sale until I see the real thing EM! 

3 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

So I had to go look up a review of the 7-pack you mentioned, because I wasn't aware it existed, but it (sadly) turns out just what I expected: a re-boxing that combines some very old AMT molds with some slightly-less-old AMT molds, along with what might be a relatively new mold of the NX-01.  I'll spoiler the details so as not to derail too much.

Reveal hidden contents

Having built all of these kits except the NX-01 in the past, I don't know if I would really recommend all of them.  The quality of the oldest set (the three pack of TV, Refit, and TNG versions), is bare-bones, very slim on any sort of detail at all, and just very plain.  Very old molding technology, and I don't recall the fit being great.  The TV and Refit ships are also really only a couple inches long.

The pack with the B, C, and E was much better, having come out probably a decade after the previous one, and was originally a snap-fit set.  The molding and detail is a quantum leap over the previous set, and I recall the fit being pretty decent.

Now.. what is something to consider with this new box set is that they include... well, I have a hard time calling them "decals."  It looks like they flat out printed an entire skin-wrap for every ship, enough to cover every bit of blank plastic on them.  I can't say how well that will work for the B, C, and E, since they had much more molded detail, but it does have the potential of making the TV, Refit, and D into something very presentable.

Anyhow, I'm actually intrigued by this set now, and if I see it for a good price, I might pick it up.  I did find a pretty lengthy review of them, so might be worth a watch.  The preview of them looks pretty fantastic, which I have to attribute to the decal wraps, because none of those kits has remotely that much molded detail.  I think the bottom line will really come down to how much you like applying decals. :lol: 

I'd have rather the set had come with a second Constitution refit for the original and A versions, rather than the NX-01.  Remember, Enterprise did what even Voyager couldn't: it killed the franchise. :p

17 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I'd have rather the set had come with a second Constitution refit for the original and A versions, rather than the NX-01.  Remember, Enterprise did what even Voyager couldn't: it killed the franchise. :p

The lack of the 1701-A is actually kind of a bizarre choice there, considering the older kits used that one.  It wouldn't be too hard to replace the registry with another set of decals, but since the entire saucer is one giant decal, you'd have to clip it out and touch up the paint by hand. :huh: 

9 hours ago, Graham said:

Gonna have to look into ordering an Eaglemoss Voyager online. Finally after all these years decided to give Voyager a second chance as it's on Netflix and actually quite enjoying it.

I haven’t retried Voyager yet, but that’s what I did with Enterprise and ended up really liking it. I think it was just a product of it’s time and fans were tired of the BB style of Trek. Now after nearly 20 years of grim/gritty sci-fi the show seemed like a breath of fresh air. The finale is still crap, but the overall show was very enjoyable to me.

Chris

Voyager got better as it went on, Just like TNG and DS9. then the finale just like straight up Sopranos style ENDED.  :blink:  I felt like Enterprise never really found it's footing.  Although I liked Season 4 slightly more than the other 3. 

1 hour ago, derex3592 said:

Voyager got better as it went on, Just like TNG and DS9. then the finale just like straight up Sopranos style ENDED.  :blink:  I felt like Enterprise never really found it's footing.  Although I liked Season 4 slightly more than the other 3. 

I disgree, DS9 started far more strong than the other Trek series.  It already knew what it wanted to be (Babylon 5, ha!), but seriously, they were already picking up steam leading into season two.  TNG didn't really find its footing until bits of Season 3 and Season 4, Voyager and Enterprise too.

I felt that DS9 took the longest of all the series to get on track. Once the Dominion came into full focus and Worf joined the show, that's when it hit it's stride. The first 3 seasons of DS9 were rough to get through again on my last rewatch a year or so ago. A lot of naps were had, I'll say that.   That being said, I feel it ended up being the strongest of the Star Trek series overall.  TNG is still my overall favorite, but DS9 gets overlooked to often IMHO as to just how good it was in the end. 

Yeah DS9 started fairly strong thanks to Avery Brooks but then faltered a little for a period. When the Dominion is finally introduced and the Odyssey is destroyed then it just got sooo good. From that point we get the Klingon War then the Dominion War.  On the other hand, I feel the series wrapped up a little too quickly and the Federation took far too many losses to be believable from both the Klingon and Dominion War. You just keep hearing about ship after ship, Task Force after Task Force, even system after system being lost. Seems kind of like Game of Thrones....one episode you see the Dothraki being decimated by the dead and then suddenly there are more....because...

Chris

For me DS9 was my least favorite Star Trek series.  The story concept was very limiting since they were stuck on a space station.  Runabouts can only get you so far, everything else had to come to them.  I felt that the writers finally gave up when they started the war and gave them the Defiant.

I liked Voyager. It improved quickly when they dumped that Maquis nonsense.  My only issue with it was that any series following their return to earth would be difficult.  The technology that the Voyager crew returned with was way way unbalancing.  Slip-Stream Warp!

Edited by DewPoint

15 hours ago, Dobber said:

I haven’t retried Voyager yet, but that’s what I did with Enterprise and ended up really liking it. I think it was just a product of it’s time and fans were tired of the BB style of Trek. Now after nearly 20 years of grim/gritty sci-fi the show seemed like a breath of fresh air. The finale is still crap, but the overall show was very enjoyable to me.

Chris

I recently watched all of Enterprise and ended up really enjoying it, to the point it's now one of my favorite Trek shows.

Which is strange as when it first came out I absolutely hated it, found it really boring and couldn't even make it all the way through a single episode.  I think I tried watching 3 episodes when it first came out and ended up switching channels after about 10-15 mins.

2 hours ago, Lolicon said:

DS9 was and still is the best Trek series ever, hands down.

Voyager and Enterprise are what I use to relieve my insomnia.

I've still yet to watch all of DS9. Back when it originally aired, it wasn't shown in my country, so I only was able to see a few random out of order episodes a few years later on rented VHS from Blockbuster, back in the day........LOL

I have recently started watching DS9 on Netflix. Currently on season 2, but to be honest it's also kinda an insomnia for me cure at the moment, I do find many episodes send me to sleep. Probably doesn't help that I watch it on my bedroom TV. Hopefully it will pick up once I eventually reach the Dominion War episodes.

On 6/26/2019 at 9:37 PM, derex3592 said:

..B.O.T..The XL Runabout is up on the Eaglemoss website, but it looks as though they just took the pics from the smaller one..LOL. No sale until I see the real thing EM! 

I think it looks pretty sharp, but I’m no Runabout expert, so I’m curious what you think. 

Chris

20 hours ago, Graham said:

I have recently started watching DS9 on Netflix. Currently on season 2, but to be honest it's also kinda an insomnia for me cure at the moment, I do find many episodes send me to sleep. Probably doesn't help that I watch it on my bedroom TV. Hopefully it will pick up once I eventually reach the Dominion War episodes.

It'll become "the best Trek of all" by the end.  Keep watching, if at all possible. 

On 6/22/2019 at 7:28 AM, Dynaman said:

That thing is as bad as the FASA designs for STtRPG.

excelsiorstudy4n2-photo.jpg

I was about to firmly place my foot in my mouth before I checked ex-astris-Scientia. Are they about done with what is cannon?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2019 at 10:23 PM, TehPW said:

excelsiorstudy4n2-photo.jpg

I was about to firmly place my foot in my mouth before I checked ex-astris-Scientia. Are they about done with what is cannon?

But it is technically cannon.  It was floating in the background as scrap in an actual episode therefore it's cannon.  Just not as the Excelsior.