Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

Nice looking model, but the yellow-orange bits look really yellow-orange. I need to see a review first. 

On 5/6/2020 at 12:25 PM, derex3592 said:

Such a missed opportunity with the XL Line, I would happily pay a bit more for more detailing, better layering of panels, better QC etc.... SIGH...Maybe someday someone will do a decent size model kit of the J. :unsure:

But why do all that when you can upscale a small model, fire the QC team, and still sell through your entire run?

Are these eaglemoss ships generally considered “okay” for the price?

i was thinking to pick up a few of the smaller ones as gifts for my gaming group - sabers and novas and a steamrunner (although I know it isn’t really “little”) and the price for individual ones isn’t bad. The Akira looks tempting too but is much bigger.

they're mostly what, maybe 4-5”? I assume not in scale, just all roughly the same size?

Edited by jeniusornome

17 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Are these eaglemoss ships generally considered “okay” for the price?

i was thinking to pick up a few of the smaller ones as gifts for my gaming group - sabers and novas and a steamrunner (although I know it isn’t really “little”) and the price for individual ones isn’t bad. The Akira looks tempting too but is much bigger.

they're mostly what, maybe 4-5”? I assume not in scale, just all roughly the same size?

Some are better than others.  There is a 4 1/2 inch Akira in addition to the Xl version.  They're not in scale with each other either.  I don't own the Saber, Nova or  Steamrunner so I can't comment on those.  The Akira is generally considered one of the best models in either regular or XL scale.  Based on the fact you mentioned the four ships from First Contact I'm assuming your group is a fan of that era?

Edited by Mommar

On 5/7/2020 at 6:15 AM, Sildani said:

Nice looking model, but the yellow-orange bits look really yellow-orange. I need to see a review first. 

I think the color in the episode was some sort of copper metallic, but it looks about the same as the Diamond Select version I have.  That one is more yellow, if anything, but they both use the same shade as the bands behind the bussards.

All things considered, I'll probably stick with that version, since the phaser cannon under the saucer looks much boxier than it should be.  It's a fun "what if" design, but it's hard to nail the look of the tacked-on additions without looking cheaply tacked-on.  Diamond Select didn't do very well either, in fact, but it's a large enough model I can probably patch up the seams and fugly screw covers easier in that scale.

Edited by Chronocidal

@Mommar I do like the less traditional design of the Akira, steamrunner and saber, but we just have done a few tabletop games set in modern Trek as the crew of small ships. I just went with ship classes I knew were smaller.

I've been a fan of Star Trek my whole life but I don’t think I noticed those four classes were all introduced in first contact. It’s been a long while since I watched it.

we had a little fleet of runabouts (and small starships) based out of a larger nebula-class ship that acted as our roaming starbase. 

although looking at the numbers now I see we took some liberties with the size of the nebula class. We’re a bit loose with things like specs if it doesn’t fit the story. :)

anyways thanks for the info. I saw some recent grumbling about the quality control but I’m assuming a painted mini for $25 isn’t going to be a knockout shelf topper in the first place. 

Edited by jeniusornome

3 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

@Mommar I do like the less traditional design of the Akira, steamrunner and saber, but we just have done a few tabletop games set in modern Trek as the crew of small ships. I just went with ship classes I knew were smaller.

I've been a fan of Star Trek my whole life but I don’t think I noticed those four classes were all introduced in first contact. It’s been a long while since I watched it.

we had a little fleet of runabouts (and small starships) based out of a larger nebula-class ship that acted as our roaming starbase. 

although looking at the numbers now I see we took some liberties with the size of the nebula class. We’re a bit loose with things like specs if it doesn’t fit the story. :)

anyways thanks for the info. I saw some recent grumbling about the quality control but I’m assuming a painted mini for $25 isn’t going to be a knockout shelf topper in the first place. 

Depending on the model you're more likely to get some pretty poorly aligned nacelles or something straight broken.

So TNG-ish era, Federation? 

They do have several types of shuttle craft including Runabouts and the Delta Flyer I just don't own any. 

They do have all three variations of the Nebula class.  The one with the AWACS-like sensor (USS Phoenix), the one with the wedge-ish Weapons platform (USS Honshu) and the one with the silly little warp nacelles up top (USS Nebula Prototype.)  They're all pretty good looking but the nacelles probably won't be straight. 

The Intrepid Class is smaller and the Voyager model looks really good. 

The Defiant is also small and looks good though the details are a little bit soft. 

Something more non-traditional looking, there's the USS Curry, a bastardization of Excelsior components hurriedly welded together for the Dominion War (my first two showed up broken.) 

There's other oddities like the Dauntless too. 

And they have three Star Trek online ships now.  The Enterprise F (Odyssey class?) and two others I don't know the names/classes of. 

The Stargazer is semi-TNG and unique looking. 

The USS Titan is unofficial outside of the novels (and maybe STO) but it is TNG-era and unique.  It's a Sovereign\Miranda mash-up. I guess you could liken it as the Nebula to the Galaxy is but with more original components instead of an obvious kitbash.

Edited by Mommar

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/12/2019 at 3:25 PM, Dobber said:

Valkyrie, Blackbird, and MkIII Viper are already confirmed ;)

A7B2DA35-C802-4069-AA8D-28585E382569.jpeg.2312f9dcb2bdc25521000714620c0af7.jpeg

9FA6AE21-AC1A-4562-98B7-71D9808F8DDF.jpeg.0436786705319a5364f3322d9a14ca6c.jpeg

73FBDCAD-6ADD-4858-B00C-2ED361535FCA.jpeg.56231b066975627808ef6aec2c4ea0b7.jpeg
Chris

I realize I am extremely late to the party but what scale is the MK III Viper, same as the Moebius model kits? 

10 minutes ago, Dobber said:

It’s 1/33 basically the same scale as the Moebius kits which are 1/32.

Chris

Awesome, thanks Dobber! 

I saw one of these on eBay for a really good price but was concerned about the scale, might have to pull the trigger on one! 

So Say We All!! While I only build the Moebius model kits for BSG this was the only way to get a VIPER MKIII and it was worth it. The detail & weight to the fighter in very impressive IMO. 

I got this one off of Ebay and not for the gouging price tag either that some are charging, here is the sellers link: https://www.ebay.com/sch/Battlestar-Galactica/37880/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=mrichards2002

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

Awesome! The MK3 is an impressive piece. Curious to see how it looks next to the Moebius MK2. The Eaglemoss MK2 is a bit large next to the MK3 as the 2 is a bit out of scale when compared to the other fighters.

Chris

31 minutes ago, Dobber said:

Awesome! The MK3 is an impressive piece. Curious to see how it looks next to the Moebius MK2. The Eaglemoss MK2 is a bit large next to the MK3 as the 2 is a bit out of scale when compared to the other fighters.

Chris

I'm going to take some pics in a bit, the MK-III is definitely a more hefty looking fighter!! :D

8 hours ago, Sildani said:

Ah, the Vulcan ship from First Contact. Nicely done. 

It'll actually be the Mirror-Universe version from Enterprise, just to mess with us...   (includes little Zefram Cochrane figure with shotgun) 

I forget, is this usually where the Diamond Select ships wind up getting discussed?  Feel like there isn't enough conversation to really start a separate thread, but I discovered something interesting from a new purchase.

Managed to pick up one of the Art Asylum Enterprise-A models, from the 2003 run, which I think was the initial release, before Diamond Select bought out the license and molds.  The quality blows any of the Diamond Select releases completely out of the water, to the point where the DS versions feel like bootlegs.  Paint and tampo are immaculate, and there is zero light bleed.

Anywho, I'm sorely tempted to go grab one of those larger Mk II Vipers.  Really have always loved the updated design.

Edited by Chronocidal

The First 3 Orville collection ships are available to Pre-order now. They are:

Standard size Orville

Union Shuttle

XL size Orville.

Chris

12 hours ago, Dobber said:

The First 3 Orville collection ships are available to Pre-order now. They are:

Standard size Orville

Union Shuttle

XL size Orville.

Yeah, that's only two ships.  <_<

Typical Eaglemoss.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sildani said:

Got my USS Chimera  from Star Trek Online and, in typical Eaglemoss fashion, it arrived ingloriously:

E86246D9-6C27-4AF6-A95F-7CE2E4A9FC11.jpeg

I've gotten ships like that. Looks like it was just poorly glued to the peg. Just put a drop of super glue and pop it back on.

12 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I've gotten ships like that. Looks like it was just poorly glued to the peg. Just put a drop of super glue and pop it back on.

Yup, a simple fix. I received my Battlestar Valkyrie the other day and one of the engines was off. The glue just let go...a dab of gorilla glue and good as new.

Chris

Oh yeah, simple. I must say, although I’m not too impressed with the design, I am impressed with Eaglemoss’ handling of it. Paint is crisp, tampo is aligned and done well, the Bussard collectors are transparent red and the warp grilles are clear blue along with the (huge) main deflector. 

I need to have a custom base made for this one, though, so I can display it with my Star Trek pride and joy. 

5F6924A4-524F-4B54-B018-82CF1E8DFFCC.jpeg

E3893BCD-8AF1-4A5D-B57B-447864B54D11.jpeg

49DCE5ED-FF63-4702-B1E9-47DC629B2320.jpeg

52B674E1-183E-4685-AFCA-8819D5090485.jpeg

D42580C2-F501-4F04-A425-4A8674E61D2B.jpeg