Eaglemoss Star Trek Starship, BSG & other starships Collection

Sandman

Anyone collecting these? I've just started. Hoping there are fans here so I have people to discuss collecting these with. I've picked up the Enterpise-D and Enterprise movie refit. The D was flawless. Unfortunately, the movie refit had misaligned nacelles that are not parallel. One nacelle also sits higher than the other. It really bugs my OCD. I don't know if they are all like that or I just got a bad one? 

Is there bootlegs of these? I did get mine from China missing the book. 

I wouldn't say I collect that line in particular, but I do have the Defiant.  Purchased it at a local convention.  It's pretty decent piece.  If you're going to collect a whole line, definitely a lot more attractive than, say, the Diamond Select line, which is a lot bigger and less diverse.  I have also have a Hot Wheels Enterprise D and a Diamond Select Enterprise E.  The Eaglemoss Defiant appears to be comparable in quality to the Hot Wheels Enterprise E that I own.

I have the Probert Enterprise-C and the USS Aventine. There’s a guy on eBay selling decals for the Avantine’s deflector dish and the missing windows for the Probert model. I’ll put them on when I have a chance. 

Getting the USS Titan next. Apparently Eaglemoss forgot a LOT of printed detail for that, I already got its decals. 

2 hours ago, Sandman said:

Anyone collecting these? I've just started. Hoping there are fans here so I have people to discuss collecting these with. I've picked up the Enterpise-D and Enterprise movie refit. The D was flawless. Unfortunately, the movie refit had misaligned nacelles that are not parallel. One nacelle also sits higher than the other. It really bugs my OCD. I don't know if they are all like that or I just got a bad one? 

Is there bootlegs of these? I did get mine from China missing the book. 

I have a fair number of them but haven’t gone all in becsuse I don’t like every design nor do I have the room.  I don’t want to rain on your parade but you must be prepared for miss-aligned nacelles, bad paint jobs and a fair number of broken models.  Eaglemoss qc is terrible as noted by the images of the USS Curry I received beginning of this month. 

I don’t know if there are bootlegs or not.  I did end up buying my refit Enterprise D from a place in china for $9 because everywhere else was charging $50+.  If it’s a bootleg I want more of them because that was the best aligned/painted model I’ve received of all the Eaglemoss models I own.

00AD620D-3522-4BDC-8BA6-3AF77C7730EB.jpeg

389964C1-7AA4-4F4F-857F-DD062D99CE31.jpeg

Edited by Mommar

Yeah that's what I was afraid of. Looks like it's just a crapshoot. I'll have to try and get another Refit Enterprise and hope I get a decent one. 

I won't be getting all of them either. I'll probably get a lot of the Federation ships and some standouts of the alien ships like the klingon d7 and Romulan bird of prey. That phase 2 Enterprise looks cool too.

They’re seasonally produced.  There’s also the fact that it was originally a subscription service and every several releases there was a bonus release that was more expensive.  The fact people can subscribe at any time means they have to periodically go back and reproduce the ilder models too.  Some get made more than others, you’re guaranteed sll of the Enterprises will be re-released at some point.  All of the regular releases are roughly $22.  The special edition releases are $45-ish.  Thennthere are the XL releases that are more like $70.

Edited by Mommar

I have over 25 of these and as Mommar and others have suggested the QC is hit and miss.  Some are absolutely fantastic and some are not.  Some can be made to look a bit better with some panel lining and after market decals.  I have stayed away from the XL releases as all the reports say they are pretty bad QC wise, with the Enterprise E being the pick of the litter.  My collecting of them has gone way down as I simply don't have the space or money to get more than one or two more if they come out with a ship i just have to have.   I get them from a guy on Ebay who always ships quick, has a fair price and has sent me a free one when I mentioned the Enterprise I received had a broken nacelle out of the box. PM me if you want his Ebay name.

As a fan of futuristic spacecraft, miniatures, and Star Trek in particular, the Eaglemoss series is a dream come true, featuring dozens of ship designs that have never been produced as models or toys before.

However, as a raving scale Nazi, the Eaglemoss series is a nightmare, featuring a total disregard for any semblance of scale consistency.  Almost every ship released is in its own unique scale -- and some have even been produced at two different scales -- without making any attempt to identify (much less publicize) what scale they represent.

Thus, my Eaglemoss collection is split up over five different starship displays, each representing a different scale:

5ae15c38c137c_1850.thumb.jpg.608811a2269e8752e2dfee281d23a315.jpg

about 1:850

5ae15c3695f96_12000.thumb.jpg.e182a81b5d73c0a653e5e464d732a895.jpg

roughly 1:2000

5ae15c3b37a90_11200.thumb.jpg.baf0ab5e94d46b3582db511b8b801fea.jpg

around 1:1200

5ae15c3476036_13000.thumb.jpg.3dc65cbfb23597049004b484104d3085.jpg

about 1:3000

Yeah, they’re what used to be called “box scale.” The model company ordered the cardboard boxes for store shelves, then the shipping cartons could hold X boxes, so the model company told the sculptors to make the kits fit into the boxes. Period. 

3 hours ago, Mommar said:

Some people just want the ship they like and can fit in the space they have.  Having them all be four inches suits just fine for that purpose.

Which is totally fine. And I'll even give Eaglemoss nods for bringing a very large variety of ships to fans at pretty reasonable prices instead of going for the high-end collector's market. I personally need them to be in the same scale, though.

Edited by mikeszekely

Yeah I'm not sure how practical it would be for them to produce the ships at a consistent scale. The ships have widely different sizes. But yeah having the same scale would be nice. That Ent-J in Mommar's pic looks hilariously small compared to the other two ships. LOve the pics guys. Keep them coming. :p

11 hours ago, tekering said:

As a fan of futuristic spacecraft, miniatures, and Star Trek in particular, the Eaglemoss series is a dream come true, featuring dozens of ship designs that have never been produced as models or toys before.

However, as a raving scale Nazi, the Eaglemoss series is a nightmare, featuring a total disregard for any semblance of scale consistency.  Almost every ship released is in its own unique scale -- and some have even been produced at two different scales -- without making any attempt to identify (much less publicize) what scale they represent.

Thus, my Eaglemoss collection is split up over five different starship displays, each representing a different scale:

That is an amazing collection. Thanks for sharing. :)

On 4/26/2018 at 3:02 PM, tekering said:

O... M... G! :shok:

On 4/26/2018 at 7:51 AM, mikeszekely said:

Yeah, I'm a Star Trek fan and I was briefly interested, but ultimately decided that if I had a collection of Star Trek ships they had all be the same scale.

Same here.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 1:01 PM, Sandman said:

Yeah it's disappointing that the movie refit enterprise seems to be one of the worse ones they have released. I'm interested in checking out the mega sized versions as well. 

I've been a subscriber from the very beginning for the regular and special edition releases.  The XL versions look amazing in the promo pics but I haven't been able to commit to subscribing to them due to QC issues.  I think the only one everyone has been ok with so far is the TOS Enterprise.  All the other ships released have major issues with misaligned window painting and the Voyager stand doesn't really hold the ship.  At $75 price tag they're asking it doesn't seem worth it.

The Discovery Collection so far is pretty nice and they just announced a bunch of reveals this weekend from Destination Star Trek in Germany(?).

New additions to the Eaglemoss line-up have arrived!  :D

5aebd73be2f23_forcedperspective.thumb.jpg.e140f93b599bd356860f554854083948.jpg

Oh, if only they scaled so well in real life...  :unsure:

Anyway, check out the glorious paint work on the Phoenix.  The Aztec patterns are subtle, but consistently applied all over the ship, along with all the other painted detail...

phoenix.thumb.jpg.431f020bb43174da2359d05c0bfe1907.jpg

...and the warp nacelles feature clear parts (although the navigational deflector doesn't).  It's 10.5 centimeters in length, making it about 1:4400 scale.

curry.thumb.jpg.2087868b892a4c9967690c97fbbb6f04.jpg

The Curry has even more subtle Aztec detailing, as well as remarkably clear registry markings (considering the size of the model):

5aebdb72c8f3b_miraculouscurry.thumb.jpg.efd178893c8f9b9649eeeed3cbdb0895.jpg

At 12 centimeters in length, the Curry clocks in around 1:3200 scale.

probert.thumb.jpg.a1862ec58d0291f48b55e970192a9233.jpg

The "Phase II" concept Enterprise is a unique but ultimately dull entry, with minimal paint work and no clear parts.  :(

5aebdcebe8dcb_proberticonic.thumb.jpg.c27156c4fc84b2b9c3cd2eec516d24b7.jpg

At 13 centimeters, it's equal in size to Eaglemoss' earlier TOS and refit Enterprise models, which makes it about the same 1:2400 scale.

5aebde5b24f0f_shenzhoufront.thumb.jpg.3ae6db6afee4d38167a41c74fff70c81.jpg

Here's the newest member of the line-up, the Shenzhou from Star Trek: Discovery.

5aebde9f631e5_shenzhourear.thumb.jpg.e3d5d96454cdffef2e386d50280c6afb.jpg

This is a gorgeous ship, and the first time it's been produced as a physical replica.

5aebdee6a77d2_shenzhouunderside.thumb.jpg.fdcc7f9fc485a9830113790cce29bc08.jpg

It's a big and expensive piece -- 20 centimeters in length -- which places it at around the same scale as the Phase II Enterprise... about 1:2200 scale, to be specific.

5aebdf52a21a4_sleekshenzhou.thumb.jpg.ad8572721750807299b30ff1bdf43dfa.jpg

It's a sleek and beautiful design, but doesn't feature any Aztec patterns...

5aebdfa21fba4_shenzhoutampo.thumb.jpg.fb18569bd6a1e48972720a88038a0340.jpg

...but the paint work is really clean and sharp, so it looks great regardless.  :wub:

If we're very lucky, the upcoming Discovery will be similarly-scaled, so the two ships can be displayed side-by-side.  ^_^

• 8 months later...
20 minutes ago, TehPW said:

it's from a calendar, several years old, I think.

Yeah, looks like it's non-ish cannon.  Supposed to be a bridge between the NX and TOS era ship design.  It's interesting, not sure it looks good, but it's a fascinating take.

4 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Anyone have the XL Reliant?  Seems to be the best XL I think, and am tempted.  

(What I REALLY want is an XL Nebula, with non-crooked pylons)

Yes I have the XL Reliant. It is GORGEOUS! it’s just a tiny bit smaller than 1/1000. It’s everything the XL Refit SHOULD have been. Such a shame Eaglemoss screwed up the Refit but the Reliant is damn near perfect. 

As was mentioned already, the Boneventure is from the Calamder a few years ago and became a fan fav. I quite like it. I ordered it...I usually don’t get the standard line and just get the specials, XL, Discovery, and Galactica lines but I made an exception for this one.

Chris

9 hours ago, David Hingtgen said:

Anyone have the XL Reliant?  Seems to be the best XL I think, and am tempted.  

(What I REALLY want is an XL Nebula, with non-crooked pylons)

Yeah, the Nebula is one of my favorites. A kitbash done right.  The standard size ones all seem to have horribly miss-aligned nacelles.

Anyone else think the Discovery 1701 looks too pale/grey/matte?  "Season 1 finale" I thought it looked rather NX-01 ish, in having like a darker, metallic hull.  But the model is pretty much just "dull pale grey", almost primer-colored.  Pretty boring, and disappointing (since I REALLY like the design, and thought we might be getting like a gunmetal-ish 1701 or something).