RIP R. Lee Ermey

Semper Fi Gunny!

The guy had a pretty amazing life for a former drill instructor; always entertaining when he appeared on screen, whether he was doing his DI bit, just playing a character, or being himself on his own shows.  He was definitely the standout character in Full Metal Jacket, a role he wasn't intended to play (he was only an advisor), but one he won by determination- the rest is film history, and pretty much every military movie featuring drill instructors have taken their cue from his performance.  Another sad loss; condolences to his family, friends, and fans. Semper Fidelis

7 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

My wife didn't know who R. Lee Ermey was till I told her he voiced Sarge, the green Army man, in Toy Story :) He was typecasted but still acted in a lot of movies that did very well.

I was never under the impression that he regretted being typecast in those roles a single bit.  He wore that role like a badge of honor.

Semper Fi, Gunny, you'll be missed.

Edited by Chronocidal

19 hours ago, Shadow said:

I imagine the Grim Reaper got an ear full when it came for him.

RIP Gunny.

"THAT'S NOT THE WAY YOU HOLD A SCYTHE, BONE BRAIN!!!

IF I EVER CATCH YOU SLACKING OFF ON THE JOB AGAIN, I'LL MAKE YOU WISH THERE WAS SUCH A THING AS 'DEATH AFTER DEATH', FOR I'LL BE STRINGING YOU UP BY YOUR VEIL AND REARRANGE YOUR BONES SO THAT YOUR SKULL IS UP YOUR SACRUM, WHILE YOU'RE CHEWING ON WHAT'S LEFT OF YOUR FEMUR!

NOW, DO I MAKE MY SELF CLEAR?!? THEN LET'S GO! HUT 2, 3, 4, HUT, 2, 3, 4"

Edited by Nightbat