Sign in to follow this  
pengbuzz

"I want those Miclones recaptured immediately!!" REdux

Does Britai in this pic need a bigger chin?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Does Britai in this pic need a bigger chin?

• Yes
    • No
    • Needs the Giant Tuna Hikaru found
    • Naw, it needs a Pineapple Salad (Expertly prepared by Claudia!)
    • Other (explain in your post)

Posted (edited)

Okay...after getting away from it for a bit, I began to look at this one again with a set of fresh eyes. And I found what I didn't like:

Britai's chin!!!

Yup, I had failed to take into account that one of Britai's defining features is a chin that could probably take out an ARMD platform! So, I went back and did some work:

Old:

5acaa27b9606b_SDFMEp12BigEscapeScene.thumb.jpg.467db6b0aea4db5f29dd5160a8a45839.jpg

And new:

5acaa27923e3e_SDFMEp12BigEscapeSceneRedux.thumb.jpg.5f30a0d9d25a42a1c1559f9eabf06ceb.jpg

While I didn't go overboard with the chin per se, I wanted to make it more akin to Britai in SDFM. See what you think, and if folks need it even bigger, I'll do it! :D

Edited by pengbuzz

Other:  Britai's right hand looks like it's upside down (could just be the lighting and shading, but the pinky looks like a thumb).

Re: the chin - the new one is an improvement.  However, keep in mind the 70/30 rule: put 70% of your effort on the 30% that people focus on.  In Britai's case, that's his eyepiece and eye (which you got), and in this picture's case, it's the focal points (generally where the bold lines converge - in this case you have basically 3: Britai's eyes, the right hand, and the smashed TV screen).

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, sketchley said:

Other:  Britai's right hand looks like it's upside down (could just be the lighting and shading, but the pinky looks like a thumb).

Re: the chin - the new one is an improvement.  However, keep in mind the 70/30 rule: put 70% of your effort on the 30% that people focus on.  In Britai's case, that's his eyepiece and eye (which you got), and in this picture's case, it's the focal points (generally where the bold lines converge - in this case you have basically 3: Britai's eyes, the right hand, and the smashed TV screen).

Yeah, he's gripping the inside of where it was smashed, so the hand is turned. I see what you mean bout that pinky: it does look like a thumb (I had photographed my own hand posed and worked from that)! So, I think I'm going to reduce that pinky a bit and see what else to do to make that hand look less weird.

You mentioned the focal points of the hand, the smashed screen and the eye; the hand needs work, do you think anything else needs to be done with the screen?

Thanks for the input sketchley; I'm trying to "up my game" here. :)

Edited by pengbuzz

1 hour ago, pengbuzz said:

Yeah, he's gripping the inside of where it was smashed, so the hand is turned. I see what you mean bout that pinky: it does look like a thumb (I had photographed my own hand posed and worked from that)! So, I think I'm going to reduce that pinky a bit and see what else to do to make that hand look less weird.

You mentioned the focal points of the hand, the smashed screen and the eye; the hand needs work, do you think anything else needs to be done with the screen?

Thanks for the input sketchley; I'm trying to "up my game" here. :)

The screen?  Nah.  That's good enough.

If you can't rework the hand, you can always crop it all (or most of it) out of the frame.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, sketchley said:

The screen?  Nah.  That's good enough.

If you can't rework the hand, you can always crop it all (or most of it) out of the frame.

Well, the good news is this was saved in multiple versions and layers, with Britai, Exedol, the hand and the background all as separate elements. So if I cannot rework the hand well enough, a final resort I can go with is to simply remove it entirely without disrupting the picture and them just insert the reworked section into the final (learned that lesson the hard way many moons ago!).

Edited by pengbuzz

Posted (edited)

Okay, here's the rework on the hand; just need to fix the sleeve a little (purple got into the hand a bit), but I wanted to get that pinky fixed foremost.

5acbbedcbe005_SDFMEp12BigEscapeSceneRedux.thumb.jpg.7a1cfa07f4fcbe79825e145a5f50865b.jpg

Edited by pengbuzz