So... we've hit the absolute bottom of the barrel for plots, haven't we?

I'm calling it now, the next movie we get is a modern day sequel where NOVA Robotics get into the UAV market just to hunt down Johnny 5. You know.. 30 years later. :rolleyes: 

Edited by Chronocidal

2 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

I'm calling it now, the next movie we get is a modern day sequel where NOVA Robotics get into the UAV market just to hunt down Johnny 5. You know.. 30 years later. :rolleyes: 

And they go rogue, try to wipe out humanity, and Johnny 5 teams up with John Conner to take down Skynet?

I was kinda hoping it would be a comedy series, starring two old, out-of-shape dudes living vicariously through their kids' karate careers while drinking beers and busting each other's chops over old times.

Daniel: "Hey Johnny, remember that time I sprayed you with water while you were smoking weed in the bathroom stall?"

Johnny: "Yeah, I do.  But do you remember the time you were spying on Ali at the country club, crashed into the waiter, and collapsed on the floor in a pile of spaghetti?  That was hilarious!!  Especially since you were wearing that all-white outfit for your date with Ali.  What were you thinking?  You looked like one of the club staff!!"

Daniel: "Ha ha... yeah, yeah.  At least I didn't fall for the crane kick.  How could you lose to that technique??  Even Chozen saw that one coming!"

Johnny: "Oh don't go bringing Chozen into this.  You're comparing me to a guy who couldn't figure out that after getting counter-punched in the face twice that he should try something else??  At least Ali didn't drop me for some football player from UCLA!"

Daniel: "No, she didn't.  She dropped you for a skinny Italian kid who got the crap beat out of him every other week."

Johnny: .... "I hate you."

• 3 weeks later...

this is why we can't have nice things...

34 minutes ago, peter said:

I totally forgot about 3.....didn't even know they made the Next Karate Kid until I read the wiki page today.

I only remember two things about it:

1: Wondering how a high school managed to get away with hosting a black ops training club

2: The Miyagi nose-honk

The rest is a blur of 80s music and karate tournaments that could have been from pretty much any martial arts movie from that era.

What they should have done was wait until they were both in their seventies.  Then make it a crime story about two detectives trying to figure out which of the CNA’s at the old folks home has been abusing the patients.  Then in the end we’re hit with the surprise twist that it was Johnny and Daniel at the same home, got into an argument about who got the last of the towels, snuck out back at 3 am and beat the crap out of each other with their canes.  They were just too embarassed to tell their visiting grandkids where the bruises came from so the kids called social services.

Edited by Mommar

13 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

I realize that Ralph Macchio is not an actual martial artist, and that he's in his fifties -- but that spin kick was awful.  They should have just done a close-up on his face before and after, then cut to a wide shot, and have a stunt double do it.

8 minutes ago, SuperSenpai said:

I realize that Ralph Macchio is not an actual martial artist, and that he's in his fifties -- but that spin kick was awful.  They should have just done a close-up on his face before and after, then cut to a wide shot, and have a stunt double do it.

Yeah, that was pretty bad.  I think the other guy actually studied some sort of Korean martial art after the first film.

22 minutes ago, peter said:

Yeah, that was pretty bad.  I think the other guy actually studied some sort of Korean martial art after the first film.

Was any of the karate in the Karate Kid films ever accurate? Though I did copy the leg sweep trips Johnny used on Daniel in this beach scene against a bigger kid messing with me in middle school, twice! He flew a good distance both times and eventually gave up. Thank you, Karate Kid :)

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

Was any of the karate in the Karate Kid films ever accurate? Though I did copy the leg sweep trips Johnny used on Daniel in this beach scene against a bigger kid messing with me in middle school, twice! He flew a good distance both times and eventually gave up. Thank you, Karate Kid :)

Wait. You meant 'Thank you, Cobra Kai', right? The move you did Johnny's. So thank you, Cobra Kai. J/K. ^_^

2 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

The fight choreography in all the Karate Kid films was done by Pat Johnson, who is a legitimate Tang Soo Do stylist.  Strictly speaking, Tang Soo Do is a Korean martial art and was introduced to Americans by Koreans (both Pat Johnson and Chuck Norris earned their Tang Soo Do black belts while stationed in Korea).  However, that conversation gets messy really quick because there's a lot of controversy over how much influence the Japanese occupation had on Korean martial arts.  The TL:DR version is that you have one end of the spectrum that claims Korean martial arts were virtually non-existent, and that all modern Korean martial arts are essentially derived from Japanese arts (Karate --> Tang Soo Do, Taekwondo, etc., Aikido --> Hapkido), and the other end of the spectrum that claims all these styles were native to Korea, and any foreign influence on Korean arts was from China (the "Tang" in "Tang Soo Do" refers to the Tang Dynasty), and a range in between.

The reality is that it's pretty hard to deny that the Japanese had at least some influence on Korean arts, and a lot at the very beginning.  So most of the "Karate" in the Karate Kid is actually Tang Soo Do.  But of the Korean striking arts, Tang Soo Do is probably the most directly linked to Karate because the first generation Tang Soo Do masters were all students of Shotokan Karate.  In fact, Tang Soo Do is often called "Korean Karate", and many of the first wave of Korean TSD instructors who came to the states in the 60s interchangeably referred to their art as "Karate" and/or "Tang Soo Do" (and later "Taekwondo" after that name was codified).

2 hours ago, peter said:

William Zabka studied TSD with Pat Johnson afterwards, so he is legitimately trained.  I think he's just a natural athlete as well, because even in the first movie before he studied TSD seriously, he pulled off most of his fight scenes pretty well.  In TV and movies, the giveaway regarding someone's training is how well they pull of their kicks.  Hand techniques and grappling are easier to fake for a non-martial artist because those movements come more naturally to human beings, whereas kicking techniques are not natural, and most people look awkward doing it unless they are really athletic or have seriously trained.

• 2 weeks later...