Bandai Spirits -- Bandai Namco Restructuring

slide

According to ANN:

Bandai Namco Holdings announced on Friday that it is restructuring its subsidiary companies.

The company will establish a new fully-owned toy and hobby subsidiary called Bandai Spirits on February 15. On April 1, the new subsidiary will absorb the figure and plastic model business from Bandai and the convenience store goods business from Banpresto. The subsidiary has a capital stock of 100 million yen (about US$923,000) and about 450 employees.

fascinating.

Edited by slide

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/11/2018 at 11:38 PM, big F said:

Shame is I doubt it will do anything to get imports of Macross to the U.S and Europe going officially. 

Not unless they do a deal with Humungie Gawd any how.

That won't happen until HG licenses expire, which is not soon enough.  I can't see them wanting to shell out for a renewal since their RT movie is in perpetual limbo and their product sales of the original series are dwindling.  Then we don't know how the new TPP that Canada has joined will affect their trademarks in that part of North America yet.  I'm sure the deal, if ratified, has provisions for repatriating Japanese IP rights, but we'll see.

Edited by Zinjo

Just now, Zinjo said:

That won't happen until HG licenses expire, which is not soon enough.  I can't see them wanting to shell out for a renewal since their RT movie is in perpetual limbo and their product sales of the original series are dwindling.  Then we don't know how the new TPP that Canada has joined will affect their trademarks in that part of North America yet.  I'm sure the deal, if ratified, has provisions for repatriating Japanese IP rights, but we'll see.

Affecting the actual Trademark status in Canada?

I don't think HG has ever sued anyone in a Canadian jurisdiction in order to specifically establish it, so it's most likely we'd say 'No Comment' and try as hard as we could not to get involved so we didn't piss off either side of it politically. 

If it came to it, I would've said we'd side with the USA because of course we would. but now with the TPP and NAFTA...

Unless the USA decides to leave NAFTA I suspect Canada would side with US Jurisprudence in any sort of trademark issue, since it was signed first. Would be interesting to see though.