Request For 3D Parts Scanning

captain america

1 hour ago, UN_MARINE said:

Is scanning a necessary step, or is the goal simply a digital version of the parts?

I've been working on a couple of digitally recreated parts recently, minus the 3D scanning - cause it's hella' fiddly. Maybe I can help?

I require a digital version of the parts. The parts in question have pretty complex geometry, and while I could sculpt these by hand, I'd like to simplify as much of the job as possible. Also, I'd like to be able to simply 3D print the parts needed, because there may be some slight shrinkage during the molding/casting process I'd like to avoid.

Bumper (front & rear) + diffuser from a 1/24 Lamborghini that need to be digitized and upscaled to 1/8.

IMG_0697.thumb.JPG.8a31aca98effb75e6a8e50b63333ab3b.JPG

rear bumper 1_24.jpg

1 hour ago, captain america said:

I require a digital version of the parts. The parts in question have pretty complex geometry, and while I could sculpt these by hand, I'd like to simplify as much of the job as possible. Also, I'd like to be able to simply 3D print the parts needed, because there may be some slight shrinkage during the molding/casting process I'd like to avoid.

Bumper (front & rear) + diffuser from a 1/24 Lamborghini that need to be digitized and upscaled to 1/8.

Wow, I had a feeling it would be a challenge! It could be a little above my skill set, but I can give it a try. I use Solidworks for modeling.

Oddly enough, I have a couple of Aventador models in 1/24 & 1/18 I could take dimensions from. My concern at this point is how far off the accuracy would be between models & mating surfaces.

The Aventador bumper parts shown above are for the LP-750-4 SV. I aim to modify an existing 1/8 LP-700-4 model to SV specs. The challenge resides not only with the fabrication (or enlargement) of the updated SV bodywork, but I would then have to mate them to the existing 1/8 kit parts, which involves grinding metal. I can definitely do this the old fashioned way, but I had hoped (perhaps mistakenly) that digital modeling would be a more efficient path. 

Considering the cost of the digital scanning I was quoted and the time/cost of modifying the digital assets, it'll be faster (and cheaper) for me to do everything by hand.

18 minutes ago, captain america said:

The Aventador bumper parts shown above are for the LP-750-4 SV. I aim to modify an existing 1/8 LP-700-4 model to SV specs. The challenge resides not only with the fabrication (or enlargement) of the updated SV bodywork, but I would then have to mate them to the existing 1/8 kit parts, which involves grinding metal. I can definitely do this the old fashioned way, but I had hoped (perhaps mistakenly) that digital modeling would be a more efficient path. 

Considering the cost of the digital scanning I was quoted and the time/cost of modifying the digital assets, it'll be faster (and cheaper) for me to do everything by hand.

The theory is sound, but the minor discrepancies between the model manufacturers will definitely cause something to mismatch.  It would certainly take a few attempts at modeling and printing to get things right, even with a perfectly scanned part.

Sometimes, the old ways are just better.

• 3 months later...