Netflix Altered Carbon

Just finished it. I liked it overall and it was nice to see a nice cyber punk TV show that's dark and bladerunner-esque. They prolly coulda toned down the T&A a bit for a wider audience but I wasn't turned off by it too much.

Looking forward to Season 2, though based off the books you're going to see pretty much an entirely new cast, including the main char in a different sleeve since he returned ryker's at the end of book 1

• 3 weeks later...

Up to ep 5 and am really liking it so far.  Yes, lots of gratuitous content, which goes double for the violence and gore, but it seems to work and doesn't end up feeling distracting as far as I'm concerned.  I certainly felt the Blade Runner vibe from the scenery alone.  The concept feels fresh, but also very familiar.

On 2/7/2018 at 4:40 PM, Duymon said:

Just finished it. I liked it overall and it was nice to see a nice cyber punk TV show that's dark and bladerunner-esque. They prolly coulda toned down the T&A a bit for a wider audience but I wasn't turned off by it too much.

Reveal hidden contents

Looking forward to Season 2, though based off the books you're going to see pretty much an entirely new cast, including the main char in a different sleeve since he returned ryker's at the end of book 1

Hadn't watched it yet but now that I know there is T&A in it I may watch it soon :p

Edited by TangledThorns

On 06/02/2018 at 6:33 PM, Thom said:

Half way through and I'm liking it. Even when it wanders from the main plot it's still interesting.

I just wish there was a lot less nudity and sex.

Nudity and sex you say.....well, now I'll have to give it a chance.

Edited by peter

• 1 year later...

Season two coming. February 27th. I'm really curious if they're going to continue (mostly) to follow the books. If so, this season would take place on the planet Sanction IV.  Takeshi Kovacs would be sleeved in a new body ,(years after Earth) as an officer in an elite unit fighting for the planets government to put down a revolution. Of course that's just the first few pages, hehe..

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.denofgeek.com/us/tv/altered-carbon/270932/altered-carbon-season-2-release-date-trailer

Just now, Big s said:

I didn’t know there were books, but I love the show and can’t wait for the new season or cartoon

Ya, loved the books . Re read them a few times. I was initially pretty nit picky about the major changes they had made , concerning the Envoys and Quellcrist Falconer. And Takeshi's sister, to name a few.. but such things are inevitable when trying to adapt novels to tv. So i got over it and enjoyed it for what it was.

On 2/4/2020 at 11:43 PM, Bolt said:

Season two coming. February 27th. I'm really curious if they're going to continue (mostly) to follow the books. If so, this season would take place on the planet Sanction IV.  Takeshi Kovacs would be sleeved in a new body ,(years after Earth) as an officer in an elite unit fighting for the planets government to put down a revolution. Of course that's just the first few pages, hehe..

That's awesome news. Love the show.

It's been so long since the first season I forgot what happened and how it ended. Oh well, guess I'll have to watch it again. I knew there were books, but I haven't checked them out, all I read was that the author is a bit of an assclown. Anthony Mackie for season 2? I'm in. Poor Takeshi, when will he get his original body back? 

I don't know anything about Richard K. Morgan, himself. But I've read just about everything he's written and thoroughly enjoyed it. One of his  latest book was Thin Air and takes place on Mars. I enjoyed. I also believe it's a set in the same world as Altered Carbon , but hundreds of years before.

17 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

It's been so long since the first season I forgot what happened and how it ended. Oh well, guess I'll have to watch it again.

Could spoil it, but ya, you should re watch it;)

Hmm. Ok, the second trailer tells me they've skipped the second book (Broken Angels) and went straight to the third (Woken Furies) he's on Harlan's world. Sigh.. they're still making it about his quest to find Quelcrist. And they brought back Poe (aka The Raven hotel).  Now I understand the need for continuity in a series ( especially when the main character keeps changing faces) . And each book could just about be read on their own, so.. i see why they're doing this.  But as a big fan of the books , this is annoying. As you read each novel , it's obvious Tak has done MANY things and been all over the place. Three more novels could have been written between the original three. I liked that each novel was a noteworthy chapter, a slice of life, in his travels. It really gave gravity to the displacement of where and when are we now? Grumble,grumble, ramble..

And they're really giving away a lot here by showing us Takeshi double sleeved (again).  I'm still gonna watch it ( can't wait) and I'll probably still enjoy it. I'm at least hoping they've cherry picked some content from the second book here. (His military sleeve/body w magnetic plates in his palms being one of those cherries..). I'm still not sure who the bad guy lady is yet.. and they haven't even touched on the big stuff yet..

Counting down the days..:p

Edited by Bolt

• 3 weeks later...

I finished my second full season 1 binge last night, pretty damn fantastic first season like I said when it first came out, very solid effects, there must've been a pretty solid budget for the first season. I'm now officially more hyped to start season 2 tonight! I took a vacation day tomorrow so I can enjoy some figures that came in and chill and watch season 2, I also hit my butcher up and grabbed a few monster tomahawk ribeyes, gonna have a very chill and relaxed Friday. 

Finished the first 4 episodes. I'm very entertained. Enjoying it so far. I could throw in the spoiler tag and go off, but I'm just gonna say they've really mashed up the 2nd and 3rd books into something wholly different. That's ok though. Expected this since the trailers. 

5 hours ago, Bolt said:

Finished the first 4 episodes. I'm very entertained. Enjoying it so far. I could throw in the spoiler tag and go off, but I'm just gonna say they've really mashed up the 2nd and 3rd books into something wholly different. That's ok though. Expected this since the trailers. 

You're liking it a lot?

I did the first 4 episodes last night too. I'm not thrilled with it. The show has a completely different feel to it (at least to me). And I'm sorry, but bird dude from the Avengers is not doing it for me AT ALL. There is zero "surly" in him. I'm not "seeing" Kovacs in there one little bit. Also, the fight choreography doesn't seem up to spec to me. Too many jump cuts to cover bad choreography/actors lack of skill.

I'm going to keep watching. I don't think it's bad. It's just not doing it for me like season 1 at all.  

Oh boy..I do like it so far . But there's some blasphemy going on here,

Spoiler

With regards to the character of Jack Sol Brasil in episode 5. OMFG! Lame! This character is the very antitheses of who he is in the 3rd novel . Here we have the representative of the religious sect of reality drop outs, who've renounced "reality" . They've plucked the name of a great character  and given him this bit part as this digital manager of the renouncers..oy vey..The true character of Jack sol Brasil is a roguishly handsome ,tall man who spends his days surfing the big waves off one of the southern islands of Harlan's world. He's also, actually, one of the leaders of a legendary ex special forces group known as "The little blue bugs" . He's a bad ass who spends most of his time half dressed and barefoot. He's the ultimate surfer dude. plays a sax (not so good) and has deep philosophical beliefs about living in the now and ,most importantly, living in the REAL WORLD! He would never renounce reality or inhabit that out of shape sleeve..This is f''d up!

Richard K. Morgan better be cryin all the way to the bank:angry:

Actually, i know he sold the rights to Altered Carbon years ago..

Edited by Bolt

I like Mackie as Kovacs. But as I'm watching the show, i keep thinking the writing isn't nailing his character. And , honestly, Takeshi was NEVER obsessed with Quel and madly in love with her, so they're side railed his main focus and given him more "heart" . Also Harlan's world is a relatively "young" world. There's far fewer land mass , than ocean. And it's not nearly so densely populated as Earth. Erath is more like Curosant , Blade Runner style.

Finished season 2. Phew.. I'm satisfied with the wrap up. They could explore a season 3. But it could easily be the end of that. It certainly jumped the rails right away and the ending was no different. All in all a good show IMO. 

4 hours ago, Bolt said:

Finished season 2. Phew.. I'm satisfied with the wrap up. They could explore a season 3. But it could easily be the end of that. It certainly jumped the rails right away and the ending was no different. All in all a good show IMO. 

I finished it last night. The only word I can come up with is "cheap". On the scale of Altered Carbon season 1 to Supernatural I put AC season 2 a long way toward the Supernatural end of the scale. But Supernatural is supposed to be campy so it get a pass.

I blame the director. The story was good. The execution was crap. Not the level of crap the last two seasons of GOT was, but pretty crappy. How the director had Kovacs play his part was all wrong. I agree he needed a little more emotion and to give a few more phucks when it came to Falconer. But his level of emotion, concern and empathy for everything else that was going on is not the Kovacs character.

I watched two more episodes of season 1 last night to check and see if I'm crazy. I'm not. Season 1 Kovacs is totally different that season 2 Kovacs.

I give it a 5 out of 10 where I give season 1 a 9.5 out of 10.

I binged through the whole season Friday, really enjoyed it, not nearly as much as season 1, but I liked it. I think Anthony Mackie was a solid choice for Takeshi this season, he has the physicality and he's a handsome enough guy, I think he got Takeshi's very on point, dry, direct personality down. I gotta agree on the character's motivation itself though, the whole season was driven by his odd obsession with Falconer, something I didn't expect. 

We knew in season 1 he loved her, obviously, and at the end he set out to find her, but the events of this season and his crazy devotion to her was jarring, and not where I expected the story to go. I didn't think the entire season's story would be devoted to his search for her, I was fairly disappointed the new job he got assigned to literally died off in the first episode, I wanted another mystery in the background but nope, it just led to more Falconer nonsense. All the things she does, all the signs it wasn't her or that something was wrong, and he kept following her and getting into messes, like a lethal little puppy, it was kind of lame. I expected Falconer to be a big part of the season, but she almost became the main character instead of Takeshi, and it wasn't even actually her for a large part of the season's events. 

Thinking about the events of the season, things got fairly GANTZ, no?

Spoiler

When there were two Takeshi's I immediately thought of GANTZ, due to some shenanigans, there are literally two of our main character running around, doing their own thing, eventually meeting up and fighting, then teaming up, then one makes a sacrifice, even though a sacrifice didn't really happen at the end of GANTZ, one of the hero characters basically just committed suicide attempting to attack a super being. 

17 hours ago, Tking22 said:

We knew in season 1 he loved her, obviously, and at the end he set out to find her, but the events of this season and his crazy devotion to her was jarring, and not where I expected the story to go. I didn't think the entire season's story would be devoted to his search for her, I was fairly disappointed the new job he got assigned to literally died off in the first episode, I wanted another mystery in the background but nope, it just led to more Falconer nonsense. All the things she does, all the signs it wasn't her or that something was wrong, and he kept following her and getting into messes, like a lethal little puppy, it was kind of lame. I expected Falconer to be a big part of the season, but she almost became the main character instead of Takeshi, and it wasn't even actually her for a large part of the season's events. 

Maybe the cast the right actor for Kovacs. I don't think it was acted right though. That may be the directors fault. He just wasn't the dry, to the point, unemotional, "zero phucks" Kovacs from the first season. I even went back and watched the first two episodes of season 1 to confirm my suspicions. I think they're accurate.

You hit the nail on the head with it becoming the "Falconer show". I couldn't put my finger on what I wasn't thrilled with. And that's it right there. I signed up for the Kovacs show. Not the Falconer (and to a lesser degree the broad with the coils in her head) show. I also detected a little of the woke motivation that is so grating that wasn't in season 1. Kovacs has a lesser, softer, more emotional role. Straight white man is the bad guy. Falconer, broad with the coils and the Governor all powerful women with lots of screen time. And IMO they were not done in the genuine "girl power" way that you get with a Ripley, Sarah Connor or Lizzie (Ms Elisabeth from season 1) , etc. It had that forced feel to it. 

I went poking around for reviews last night to check if I was just over-reacting. I'm not. A lot of people do not like season 2. It's shame. Season 1 blew me out of the water. I've watched it straight though at least three times. Altered Carbon lost that feel in season 2.

On a high note The Expanse season 4 was excellent. As expected. Can't wait for season 5 when things get bonkers.