Red Dead Redemption 2. Coming 10/26/2018.

UN Spacy

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Oh boy, my Xbox One X is ready, this game looks incredible! Rockstar always ups their own game when it comes to open world, to the point that the term "Rockstar World" does indeed seem more fitting then just open world.

I don't even know as far as a PC release for this goes. the first Red Dead Redemption never got one, but GTA V, eventually, did. Gotta wonder if Rockstar will bother again with this release, I know seeing all the pirated copies of GTA V for PC probably made them pretty pissed.

I've never understood the fascination people seem to have with this franchise (or with Rockstar games in general). The first one doesn't seem that particularly ground-breaking or revolutionary, certainly not the way, say, GTA 3 was or RE4 was. It just seems like a Western-themed GTA, and this one doesn't seem any different. (That said, I was never a fan of sandbox games, anyway, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt I guess.)

Oh well. Cheers to everyone hyped for this game.

6 minutes ago, kajnrig said:

I've never understood the fascination people seem to have with this franchise (or with Rockstar games in general). The first one doesn't seem that particularly ground-breaking or revolutionary, certainly not the way, say, GTA 3 was or RE4 was. It just seems like a Western-themed GTA, and this one doesn't seem any different. (That said, I was never a fan of sandbox games, anyway, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt I guess.)

It's all about the polish and level of detail, no other studio making open world games comes even remotely close to what Rockstar achieves. Every new Rockstar games moves the open world/sandbox genre forward, revolutionizing, and proving what is possible in these massive games.

Red Dead was, for the most part, far more grounded then GTA, which is usually tongue in cheek, over the top, and basically a parody. Red Dead had, without spoiling things, a truly incredible story, with one of the most incredible endings a game has ever achieved in history. The gameplay was astounding as well, Euphoria took the game to another level, physics on everything, it wasn't just a shooter, it was a physics driven shooter. The game allowed for more possibilities then just spraying at center mass, everything reacts realistically, you could take consideration into WHERE and HOW you wanted to shoot.

The story allowed for you to be a good guy, or an old fashioned bad guy. There's just so many intertwining mechanics at play that never trip over each other, they always compliment each other. Everything combined together makes for what comes off as a truly alive, open world. There's a reason Rockstar refers to their open world games as Rockstar world games, it's not hubris, they are truly just so far ahead of the competition nobody else can compare.

Open world games aside, the level of detail and polish just goes so far beyond many, many other games and genres. With these game worlds being so massive, you can't help but feel you are playing something truly special, so much detail and polish, they outshine other games that try to do one or two things Rockstar games accomplish while including so many other mechanics and types of gameplay. Every Rockstar game feels like several games in one, they're massive, but no detail is lost, they earn their 10s, and continuously push the industry itself forward with what is possible.

4 hours ago, kajnrig said:

Adding on to the points Tking22 made, its also one of a very small handful of competently made videogames set in the Wild West. For some reason that setting is seriously underrepresented in the videogame world, which sucks because I really love westerns.

10 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

is this a good game? the reviews look pretty low.

it can't even beat tony hawk 2 for ps1

No offense but are you seriously asking this? It's a Rockstar game, it's getting universal praise, like every Rockstar game before it, and it's cleaning up in reviews. It's being called, like every Rockstar game before, a revolutionary gaming experience. Have you not heard of Rockstar or ever played a Rockstar game before? Why not just actually read some of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews it's getting, the game just released and Metacritic hasn't had a chance to update it and bump it to 96-98 where it should land.

I'm a bit baffled at the lack of awareness for this game in this comment section, I almost feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's Red Dead 2, it's Rockstar, that's all that really needs to be said. It's a 10/10 obviously.

2 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

No offense but are you seriously asking this? It's a Rockstar game, it's getting universal praise, like every Rockstar game before it, and it's cleaning up in reviews. It's being called, like every Rockstar game before, a revolutionary gaming experience. Have you not heard of Rockstar or ever played a Rockstar game before? Why not just actually read some of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews it's getting, the game just released and Metacritic hasn't had a chance to update it and bump it to 96-98 where it should land.

I'm a bit baffled at the lack of awareness for this game in this comment section, I almost feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's Red Dead 2, it's Rockstar, that's all that really needs to be said. It's a 10/10 obviously.

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

But moreover, methinks you've intentionally put your blinders on, or maybe you're doing the internet equivalent of covering your ears and shouting "LALALALALALALALA" really loud. Or, more likely, you've weirdly put this gaming studio on a headscratchingly high pedestal and worship at its feet. It's getting universal praise? Every Rockstar game before it has gotten universal praise? It's revolutionary? Every game before it was revolutionary? It's "obviously" a 10/10?

No offense, but that's a weirdly defensive response to a joke. And even if @davidwhangchoi wasn't joking, that's still a weirdly defensive response. Maybe you ARE taking crazy pills. Rockstar aren't god's gift to gaming or anything (especially not with the whole shebang a week or two ago about 100-hour work weeks). Your fixation on its review score is... wow. I've never actually encountered that on the internet until now. @davidwhangchoi was probably playing it for a joke, but you seem to be taking it inordinately seriously.

----

I never thought Rockstar, the GTA series, or LA Noire, were all that great. /shrug

With GTA it's entirely likely just due to the sandbox. Like I said, I've never liked sandbox games very much. (I had a blast with Spider-Man and the first Assassin's Creed, but the former is the exception that proves the rule, and the latter isn't really a sandbox game IMO.) LA Noire, though... I just could never see what everyone else seemed to see. Maybe I'M the one taking crazy pills. :lol: It's not even a sandbox game, not really. It's a sandbox with nothing but sand. People go on and on about the facial capture and the story and this and that, and I'm just like... yeah, ok I guess. To me it sounds as uninteresting as frakking David Cage going on about more triangles = more emotions.

The most fun I ever had with a Rockstar game was the original Max Payne... and I played the shitty version on PS2. Playing (the better versions of) it again, some UI and gameplay elements don't hold up, but it's still a great cheesy little comic book of a time. And that's almost entirely thanks to Remedy, not Rockstar.

So again, if you were really hyped for this game and it's finally come out after nearly a decade, then awesome. I'm hype for you. But for me, personally, I just don't have the same emotional investment, so seeing it dominating the ENTIRE news cycle does get a bit tiring. I just want my Ace Combat infos and my Kingdom Hearts trailers, I don't wanna wade through tons and tons of Red Dead Retweets to get to them.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm...

But moreover, methinks you've intentionally put your blinders on, or maybe you're doing the internet equivalent of covering your ears and shouting "LALALALALALALALA" really loud. Or, more likely, you've weirdly put this gaming studio on a headscratchingly high pedestal and worship at its feet. It's getting universal praise? Every Rockstar game before it has gotten universal praise? It's revolutionary? Every game before it was revolutionary? It's "obviously" a 10/10?

No offense, but that's a weirdly defensive response to a joke. And even if @davidwhangchoi wasn't joking, that's still a weirdly defensive response. Maybe you ARE taking crazy pills. Rockstar aren't god's gift to gaming or anything (especially not with the whole shebang a week or two ago about 100-hour work weeks). Your fixation on its review score is... wow. I've never actually encountered that on the internet until now. @davidwhangchoi was probably playing it for a joke, but you seem to be taking it inordinately seriously.

----

I never thought Rockstar, the GTA series, or LA Noire, were all that great. /shrug

With GTA it's entirely likely just due to the sandbox. Like I said, I've never liked sandbox games very much. (I had a blast with Spider-Man and the first Assassin's Creed, but the former is the exception that proves the rule, and the latter isn't really a sandbox game IMO.) LA Noire, though... I just could never see what everyone else seemed to see. Maybe I'M the one taking crazy pills. :lol: It's not even a sandbox game, not really. It's a sandbox with nothing but sand. People go on and on about the facial capture and the story and this and that, and I'm just like... yeah, ok I guess. To me it sounds as uninteresting as frakking David Cage going on about more triangles = more emotions.

The most fun I ever had with a Rockstar game was the original Max Payne... and I played the shitty version on PS2. Playing (the better versions of) it again, some UI and gameplay elements don't hold up, but it's still a great cheesy little comic book of a time. And that's almost entirely thanks to Remedy, not Rockstar.

So again, if you were really hyped for this game and it's finally come out after nearly a decade, then awesome. I'm hype for you. But for me, personally, I just don't have the same emotional investment, so seeing it dominating the ENTIRE news cycle does get a bit tiring. I just want my Ace Combat infos and my Kingdom Hearts trailers, I don't wanna wade through tons and tons of Red Dead Retweets to get to them.

No offense but you are in an extreme minority for not, and I'll probably just leave it at that, nothing wrong with that, just an observation, not every game is going to be for everyone no matter how highly praised. Yes, these games are that special, and yes, Rockstar is as well. If you don't like their games or don't think they're anything special that's perfectly fine, but you'd be a fool to not be able to admit and recognize or admire the insane amount of work and love that go into their games. As I said, no other gaming studio really compares. Reviews are there for a reason, and anyone can look up how overwhelmingly positive they are, and always have been for Rockstar's games. Those reviews exist to inform people, and inform they do, are we to not take them into account or recognize the overwhelmingly positive take everyone has on their games? Why not mention the reviews? It makes little sense to not bring up that they are universally praised games.

Maybe I went a bit overboard at david, but I detected zero sarcasm, and regret and apologize for nothing, my comment wasn't over the top or offensive in any way, I was just baffled. Anyone that has been gaming for the last several decades is aware or Rockstar and what they do and make. Once again, if you're not a fan so be it, but what they do for the industry and gaming with their games truly is revolutionary and their ability to make incredible, detailed game worlds is simply unrivaled.

41 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

I really hope the rumors are true and this game is coming to PC. 

I read a rumor that Red Dead 2 and possibly a shiny new port of Red Dead 1 could come to PC, but take all that with a grain of salt. GTA V sold like crazy on Steam in it's first few months after release, if Rockstar wants more sales they'll do it, even if they wait a year like GTA V, more sales is more sales.

Ha my problem with most of Rockstar's games has been a bit different; I just have not been that into games where you play a bad guy. I  don't need to play the perfect paladin by any means a character who operates in grey areas in fine - but its always felt to me that their games encourage the player to go full serial killer murder rampage...

Im interested in Read Dead 2 though - but I just expect you will be forced to do some really bad-sh!!t in the course of the story and that is not terribly appealing to me....

1 hour ago, Tking22 said:

No offense but you are in an extreme minority for not,

None taken whatsoever. I don't even see how this statement could possibly be construed as offensive.

That said, I hope you understand that I'm not saying I think they're a bad developer, or that their games are bad. I just generally don't care very much about them.

If you don't like their games or don't think they're anything special that's perfectly fine, but you'd be a fool to not be able to admit and recognize or admire the insane amount of work and love that go into their games.

...no one said anything about the "amount of work and love that go into their games," though I'm sure many an indie and mid-size dev could give them a run for their money on that front.

Again: Pedestal.

Those reviews exist to inform people, and inform they do, are we to not take them into account or recognize the overwhelmingly positive take everyone has on their games? Why not mention the reviews? It makes little sense to not bring up that they are universally praised games.

See, but that's not what you said at all. You didn't say, "Look at the totality of the reviews and how the positive vastly outweighs the negative." You said, "Why not just actually read some of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews it's getting." The implication being that 1) one should only read glowing puff pieces, and that will give them a clear picture of the quality of a game; and 2) that perfect-score reviews don't have any criticism to offer. "It's a 10/10 obviously," you add, having not even played it yourself yet. You've already made up your mind on how good it is going to be. There might be a day one, unpatchable bug that renders it completely unplayable. But it's a 10/10 obviously. The story might be complete garbage, and the mechanics might be cumbersome and annoying, and the game might be too tedious. But it's a 10/10 obviously. The day and night and weather cycle might be the most frustrating thing you've ever encountered, to the point that you throw your controller at the screen when your character gets sucked into a tornado for the tenth time in five minutes. But it's a 10/10.

Obviously.

Maybe I went a bit overboard at david, but ....  my comment wasn't over the top ...... in any way,

:rofl: I'm sorry, but this gave me a good laugh.

my comment wasn't over the top or offensive in any way, I was just baffled.

I don't think anyone thought you were being offensive, just... weirdly confrontational. (I said "defensive," but I meant confrontational.)

AAAANYWAY.

6 hours ago, TangledThorns said:

I really hope the rumors are true and this game is coming to PC. 

If they do end up remastering the original RDR for PC, I might finally give it a shot. All this bluster and hullabaloo makes me wonder what the big deal is. It'll probably be like Ghost in the Shell, where I binge the entire thing in a night or two and emerge on the other side like, ".....OHHHHHH, so that's what the fuss was all about."

(I've been spoiled on the ending already, though, so... oh well.)

23 hours ago, kajnrig said:

None taken whatsoever. I don't even see how this statement could possibly be construed as offensive.

That said, I hope you understand that I'm not saying I think they're a bad developer, or that their games are bad. I just generally don't care very much about them.

...no one said anything about the "amount of work and love that go into their games," though I'm sure many an indie and mid-size dev could give them a run for their money on that front.

See, but that's not what you said at all. You didn't say, "Look at the totality of the reviews and how the positive vastly outweighs the negative." You said, "Why not just actually read some of the 10/10 and 5/5 reviews it's getting." The implication being that 1) one should only read glowing puff pieces, and that will give them a clear picture of the quality of a game; and 2) that perfect-score reviews don't have any criticism to offer. "It's a 10/10 obviously," you add, having not even played it yourself yet. You've already made up your mind on how good it is going to be. There might be a day one, unpatchable bug that renders it completely unplayable. But it's a 10/10 obviously. The story might be complete garbage, and the mechanics might be cumbersome and annoying, and the game might be too tedious. But it's a 10/10 obviously. The day and night and weather cycle might be the most frustrating thing you've ever encountered, to the point that you throw your controller at the screen when your character gets sucked into a tornado for the tenth time in five minutes. But it's a 10/10.

Obviously.

:rofl: I'm sorry, but this gave me a good laugh.

I don't think anyone thought you were being offensive, just... weirdly confrontational. (I said "defensive," but I meant confrontational.)

AAAANYWAY.

If they do end up remastering the original RDR for PC, I might finally give it a shot. All this bluster and hullabaloo makes me wonder what the big deal is. It'll probably be like Ghost in the Shell, where I binge the entire thing in a night or two and emerge on the other side like, ".....OHHHHHH, so that's what the fuss was all about."

(I've been spoiled on the ending already, though, so... oh well.)

I was trying to put Rockstar and this game on a pedestal, I thought I made that point clear but then you agreed multiple times so now you seem to get it. That's just how I feel about this studio and their games, that's it.

The reviews agree, no cherry picked reviews or puff pieces, as usual nearly all of them. And as usual, there's a few that didn't feel as strongly, massively outweighed by the positive reviews, if you're simply looking for a more negative review to apparently get more balance, they exist.

17 minutes ago, Tking22 said:

I was trying to put Rockstar and this game on a pedestal, I thought I made that point clear ..... That's just how I feel about this studio and their games, that's it.

Weird, because "@Tking22 has put this studio up on a pedestal and worships at its feet" was what I said, and you seemed to take issue with that. I mean, if that's all you wanted to say, you could have done exactly that to begin with. Instead we have this... bizarre back-and-forth.

Eh.

Anyway, I hope you're enjoying the game, I guess.

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

Weird, because "@Tking22 has put this studio up on a pedestal and worships at its feet" was what I said, and you seemed to take issue with that. I mean, if that's all you wanted to say, you could have done exactly that to begin with. Instead we have this... bizarre back-and-forth.

Eh.

Honestly, it's a bit slow. Pacing wise only the first few hours, but I mean animations, some of them are literally too slow for my liking.

Other then that, pretty damn brilliant, I'm hooked on hunting and fishing.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-25-the-human-cost-of-red-dead-redemption-2

While I realize game development "crunches" are pretty standard affair, Rockstar seems to one of the worst. I bought and will likely enjoy RDR2, but I definitely won't be putting Rockstar on any pedestals. 

I'm in med school, and surgeons often put in >80 hours a week, but they also get compensated with salaries that exceed half a million dollars a year. To be worked to the bone like this without adequate compensation, regardless of how much you love the job, sounds malignant. 

1 hour ago, Archer said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-10-25-the-human-cost-of-red-dead-redemption-2

While I realize game development "crunches" are pretty standard affair, Rockstar seems to one of the worst. I bought and will likely enjoy RDR2, but I definitely won't be putting Rockstar on any pedestals. 

I'm in med school, and surgeons often put in >80 hours a week, but they also get compensated with salaries that exceed half a million dollars a year. To be worked to the bone like this without adequate compensation, regardless of how much you love the job, sounds malignant. 

Articles like these makes me glad I never got into game development. I read EA sucks for those in the industry too, unless you're an exec raking in the profits though.

On 10/27/2018 at 8:55 PM, kajnrig said:

Eh.

yeah i did see the conversation being a little overzealous. 

On 10/27/2018 at 10:47 PM, Tking22 said:

Honestly, it's a bit slow. Pacing wise only the first few hours, but I mean animations, some of them are literally too slow for my liking.

Other then that, pretty damn brilliant, I'm hooked on hunting and fishing.

honestly, i playing it now and it feel just like a typical rockstar game.  it's pretty good though.