Yamato 1/48 VF-1 color question

dafob

Background: I'm new to Macross collecting, even though I've been a fan since I first discovered it on that "other" US show in the mid 80's.  I loved Macross Plus but admit that Macross II wasn't up to par and Macross 7 made me lose interest in the franchise by the late 90's.  I plan on going back and picking up where I left off w/ Macross Zero and onwards, but for now my main knowledge of the franchise remains at SDF and Macross Plus.  My main knowledge of the figures are the 1/55 "chunky monkey".  I'm aware of Yamato, Bandai, and Toynami figures in the early 2000's to present but didn't really pay much attention when they were released (due to lack of funds during this time).  I've been doing my homework by reading up on the current figures and lines, and their origins. 

My Question: I recently picked up a bunch of figures, mainly 1/60 Arcadia VF-1's.   I read about the 1/48's and how impressive they were so I picked up a loose 1/48 VF-1S Roy.  The first thing I noticed was the color of the figure.  The Arcadia's are pure bright white in color but the 1/48 seems like a muted gray.  The gray color is consistent throughout the figure so I don't think it's due to yellowing where there's inconsistent discoloration.  I bought a 1/48 VF-1A this past weekend and its color matches the muted gray.  Were the 1/48's originally this off-white color or have these figures' color been ravaged by the 15 years since their release?