Need Help With VF-1 Valkyrie Identification Please

ChristopherB

Hello,

Not sure who made this valkyrie, these are the best pictures I can get.  Please feel free to zoom in and check the panel lines, hinges and so forth to confirm what it is or isn't.  It's described as being 1/100 and variable, but I still ruled out 1/72 to be safe.  There looks to be a screw that attaches to a slide as well, visible at the top rear.  That leads me to conclude it might be a resin kit.  The shape is very nice, more modern with DYRL style hands and detailed cockpit.  One of the tail fins is broken as are some other parts detached.

What it isn't, but feel free to disagree and explain why:

1.) Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 (has no tail fin hinges, etc)

2.) Bandai 1/72 VF-1 Variable New Version (many differences, panel lines, hinges, etc)

3.) Imai/Bandai 1/72 Variable Old Version (many differences, panel lines, hinges, etc)

4.) Club M 1/72 VF-1 Fighter (fixed pose, no hinges, etc)

5.) Arii/Bandai 1/100 Variable VF-1 [Silver Box Arii Include Versions w/o Armor] (many differences, panel lines, hinges, etc)

5.) Wave 1/100 VF-1 Battroid/Valkyrie [Gerwalk If Kits Combined] (many differences, panel lines, hinges, etc)

7.) Yellow Submarine 1/100 VF-1S Strike Variable (metal tail fin hinges, etc)

Could it actually be a toy and not a plastic/resin kit?  Doesn't look like a Bandai Hi-metal (new or old version), a Toynami 1/100, Bandai HCM, Banpresto or Kaiyodo that I know of.

It doesn't look like the Experten 1/100 VF-1 variable, which didn't have a super clear canopy or detailed cockpit to my knowledge.  IHP conversion kit was 1/72 scale and for use with a Hasegawa.

Thanks in advance,

Christopher B))

Uknown VF-1 Valkyrie 1.jpg

Uknown VF-1 Valkyrie 2.jpg

Edited by ChristopherB
Details

Okay, doesn't appear to be the IHP 1/72 VF-1 Hasegawa kit, because the tail fins are hinged in the middle.  Just checked the MW link to the VF-1 Experimental Valkyrie that was featured in a magazine.

Edited by ChristopherB
Spelling

Cant help you with what it is but the hands look exactly like some that I have that were cast, from originals, size wise would also fit in with your size idea.

I bought them a few years back intending to use them on some custom work that has so far yet to happen.

Good point and thanks, I noticed that also.  Looking at the green U shaped bent metal with a point on one end, that looks like it would slide between the arms so the gun pod could be attached to the loop side.  Definitely giving the impression of a resin/plastic model kit of some type.

Looking at the 9 VF-1 models I'm building right now including the VF-1D Fast Pack ,which I had to slice the top main body shell in half with a razor saw at that same point the one in your picture separates at, I'd say that's a conversion of a Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1 kit.

Exactly the same panel lines on the main body and wings as all mine and it appears to still have the tailfin locating indentations on the rear body where they would have been glued into.

The cockpit has the same rear detail omitted as the Hasegawa has too... the two round rear cockpit vents that should be right behind and above the back of the seat that are in all the images and included in the VF-1D but not the single seaters...

Edited by NZEOD

Excellent, well done NZEOD I appreciate you checking the kits you're building.  Wow, (9) models in-progress, your VF-1EA Howler is a work of art.  You're certainly an expert on Hasegawa VF-1's and I agree with you.  All of my built Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1's are boxed up so I couldn't look myself.  So, some type of conversion, but perhaps not the IHP one.  Definitely looks to be 1/72 scale as well. ;)

Yep. Definitely a Hasegawa VF-1 conversion. Looks like there are some battroid kit parts in there as well. Might be a home brew job or one based on some drawings that were floating around a few years ago on how to convert the fighter kit into a transformable model.

Pretty sure there is an article in the MW ModelGraphix (?) Section on how to do it. 

- Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

My first guess would have been a heavily modded Hasegawa kit as well. Where did you find this?

The 1/100 advertisement might be a result of the seller not having done their research... Since Gundam kits are typically 1/144 and 1/100, they might have assumed this was just a Gundam model.

8 hours ago, ChristopherB said:

Excellent, well done NZEOD I appreciate you checking the kits you're building.  Wow, (9) models in-progress, your VF-1EA Howler is a work of art.  You're certainly an expert on Hasegawa VF-1's and I agree with you.  All of my built Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1's are boxed up so I couldn't look myself.  So, some type of conversion, but perhaps not the IHP one.  Definitely looks to be 1/72 scale as well. ;)

As of 2am last night... 10 vf models in various stages... just started a VF-1D Strike Pack (Dual Beam Cannon Packs) of SVFA-69 Seal Clubbers of ARMD-03 Enterprise

Having taken a closer look and compaired to my Hasegawa kits, this is a Hasegawa conversion. There a way to many bits that are exactly the same.

It looks like its been done well too.

I would love to see more pics of it, if you have the time etc.

7 hours ago, NZEOD said:

As of 2am last night... 10 vf models in various stages... just started a VF-1D Strike Pack (Dual Beam Cannon Packs) of SVFA-69 Seal Clubbers of ARMD-03 Enterprise

The following is a bit of dark humor, if your not into that, don't click

Spoiler

Are you planning to procure some Alaska Airlines decals for the Strikepacks? :D:rofl:

26978523223_91221c186c.jpg

haha that was pretty funny, nicely done Slide!

Unfortunately I cannot get anymore pictures of this valkyrie, it was post on Yahoo! Japan Auctions.  They only included two pictures and someone purchased it for almost $200.  Hopefully it was a MW member, because I would love to learn more about it.  Either way, congratulations to the winner. B))

• 3 weeks later...