I Kill Giants Live Action

Old_Nash

Looks interesting. I have no familiarity with the comics, so it's all fresh to me. Just from the trailer, the young protagonist looks like she carries the movie well. Nice to see Zoe and Imogen in there, too. It has a Harry Potter feel to it, not necessarily a bad thing, as I liked the Potter films. Worth a look so far. It already looks better than BFG to me, and that was a cute film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I went in without watching any trailers or expectations.  It was good that way.  

Its not high fantasy or huge special effects.  Its about a little girl dealing with her (bad) reality.   Escapism.   It’s beautifully shot.    

I hear people complain that it’s copying A Monster Calls but iirc I Kill Giants books came out before the AMC book came out.  It just beat IKG to the big screen.  

There are unfortunate parallels, but IMO IKG builds up to a more intense climax with the twist after the storm. Of course, the main character demands a lot of patience until then.

Don't know how the movies handles it, but the "reveal" scene in the comic and the way it is presented totally blew me away.

19 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

Its not high fantasy or huge special effects.  Its about a little girl dealing with her (bad) reality.   Escapism.   It’s beautifully shot.    

My friends got a bootleg since the nearest theater playing it was 5 hrs away.

I had a feeling about this one so I wasn't really paying attention, but it had a grim-dark version of Chunibyo feel to it. Granted it was better then Netflix's take on Deathnote and not a bad film overall, but not a stellar piece like my friends were saying it was. Though they also read the comic and loved it, so there is that.

20 hours ago, Dangard Ace said:

I hear people complain that it’s copying A Monster Calls but iirc I Kill Giants books came out before the AMC book came out.  It just beat IKG to the big screen.  

This sounds more like Sucker Punch knockoff than anything else.

On 4/3/2018 at 4:33 PM, renegadeleader1 said:

This sounds more like Sucker Punch knockoff than anything else.

Visually I thought about Suckerpunch too but 

a) there’s no asylum/lobotomy 

b) no anime/matrix style fights 

c) no sexy cute girls in revealing outfits that distract from the story.  

D) no Zach Snyder.