Valkyrie Canopy Masks - 1/48 TV VF-1 and 1/72 VF-1D set available!

Return To Kit Form

G'day lads, just thought I'd pop in and let you guys know that we are are looking at producing a line of canopy masks for the Hasegawa 1/72 and 1/48 Valks (at least to start with). Personally I could never get those decals they give you work without looking like a huge mess, so I always masked and painted by canopies which is a huge PITA. While prototyping I can say that masking up now only takes a few minutes before you're back in action. 

Anyway let me know if you are interested or if you have any input/suggestions or goo and bad experience with canopy masking sets.

EDIT: 

These are starting to become available now so I'll list details here in the first post so they are easy to find. So far we have the following sets available (or will be soon):

1/48 scale VF-1A/J/S DYRL(Hasegawa canopy part N -1) - AUD$8.25 each.

1/72 scale VF-1A/J/S (Hasegawa) - AUD$5.50each.

All orders include postage within Australia. International orders add a flat AUD $3.00 for postage.

I can be PM'd here or via email here.

Cheers,

Brett

Edited by Return To Kit Form

5 hours ago, NZEOD said:

include the 1D canopy and I'm interested

That ones definitely on the cards. I'll grab a re release of the -1D gerwalk kit when it comes out as I don't have any kits to develop a template for. 

1 hour ago, mslz22 said:

So cool,  so this would be done on like a vinyl cutter?   My only request would be to do it in like a 5 or 10 pack to allow for multiple builds and mistakes. 

Thanks Mike, you've got it, these will be machine cut on a plotter.  We had been thinking about selling them individually or in twin packs but have a few enquiries about larger numbers. Since we are more interested in seeing people build kits than squeezing out profit we can can cater for bulk orders at a lower cost per item as well - the advantage of being a small operation. :lol:

-Brett

Just now, Return To Kit Form said:

That ones definitely on the cards. I'll grab a re release of the -1D gerwalk kit when it comes out as I don't have any kits to develop a template for. 

and the VT-1/VE-1 canopy please!!

8 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

We had been thinking about selling them individually or in twin packs but have a few enquiries about larger numbers. Since we are more interested in seeing people build kits than squeezing out profit we can can cater for bulk orders at a lower cost per item as well - the advantage of being a small operation. :lol:

-Brett

This would be a godsend as, knowing my skill or lack thereof, I'd end up messing up and spending like four of these on a single kit.

On 14/01/2018 at 2:16 PM, NZEOD said:

I can send you a canopy off any 1/72 Hasegawa macros kit to build a template on if I can get them back

I have had quite a few of these generous offers but it is a bit risky as O don't want to be responsible for someone else's kit part. Besides now I have a legitimate teadon for expanding the stash - how often does that happen? I have quite a few kits to wotk through before I run out so I am pretty sure I have time.

Again thanks for the offer.

BTW the plan at this stage is to finalise the 1/72 VF-1A/J/S masks then move to the 1/48s then maybe VF-31unless there is a big call for something else.

- Brett

Yeah same as above as I have 10 VF-1s to do, 3 VF-1Ds and 5 VT-1s

Planning on painting them in batches of 5 at a time as they will all have a base coat for Light Ghost grey and Ghost Grey before getting individual Unit and CAG markings 

53 minutes ago, Xigfrid said:

I missed that thread ! If I can provide you a dwg file for VF-31 canopy cut would you be willing to make these too ?

Absolutely! I was planning on doing the -31 right after the 1/48 VF-1 anyway since I have a couple of VF-31As in the stash.

So tonight I think I'm getting to the final stages of getting the file right. You can see how many cuts were made with each one representing a  minor adjustment.

20180123_213237.thumb.jpg.de7f3a41032b24361bfee16175199421.jpg20180123_212931.thumb.jpg.f247264468a698142f5816be21c472cd.jpg20180123_212809.thumb.jpg.a1b318cf05e426461f3c748e57958667.jpg20180123_212749.thumb.jpg.7ffb2298fa6c33d74f40fa0ab974dd01.jpg20180123_212709.thumb.jpg.a4681eeccdf68fd381d5de9b2daec8a6.jpg

I'll let the file cook for awhile and go back for another look to make sure to make sure I am not being a bit optimistic. :)

- Brett

So the next question is what else would people like included in the mask set. I had been thinking about circles for the kite could be painted on rather than using the "whites" that Hasegawa provide, but it has also been suggested that masks for the wheels be included as well.

Back when I first cooked up this plan I had though of releasing two versions of the masks. A basic canopy set and a larger set that includes Canopy, kites (including the big FAST Pack kites), wheels and feet. The idea for the feet masks being that the feet thrusters on the 1/72 VF-1 kits need to be painted before assembly. Something that isn't a problem on later kits.

The example below is what I was thinking for the big set

5a6bddca6028c_BigSet.png.3b30f11e5c5bb7569af9e8bca888fd22.png

At the moment I am tempted to but out a basic set with just canopy and small kites and then wait to see if there is a demand for a big set later.

Thoughts anyone?

- Brett

hmmmm its a pretty simple mod to make the feet slip in after painting so not sure they are required.

Maybe a mask to go around the front upper intakes though.

Edited by NZEOD

For my part, I was already in for just the canopy masks, so anything extra is icing on the cake. If you're going to do the UN Spacy logo, will you also do masks for the kite itself, or just the circle? (Like I said, I'm already good with what's there, just asking for curiosity's sake.)

Okay well for now I'll just do the canopy and the masks for the white part of the kite. Next week I am sending out sample for evaluation, so depending on what the feedback is I should be able to start cutting soon.

Let me know in this thread how many you think you will want. Think of it less like a commitment and more like a survey. That way I'll know how much masking material to get and have half a chance to keep up with demand. 

- Brett

On 2/5/2018 at 2:09 AM, arbit said:

Awesome. Where were you when I needed you!

Probably doing the same as you - wondering why no one made canopy masks for Macross kits! :D

While I wait for feedback from the samples I sent NZEOD I have started work on the set for the 1/48 VF-1 DYRL Canopy.

20180206_213843.thumb.jpg.a372263a6bc38851ef87d850bda7a448.jpg20180206_213916.thumb.jpg.b53cb6459b754d0bbf1b61e7b582af52.jpg20180206_213934.thumb.jpg.00d03586d43ecce5b3f4cf28cdee0a39.jpg

Which turned out pretty well for what is in effect a first try. Next up to sort out the rear panel, and start on the TV canopy version. Speaking of which at this scale masks for canopy interior might be necessary as well due to the thickness of the plastic and size of the part. 

What are people thoughts on that?

-Brett

I'm sure any extra masking can be done by the modeler themselves. But I don't have any experience with canopy masks; do other makers make their masks fit the entire canopy or just the essential outline like this? (I'd have thought the latter, which would honestly be a better way to go IMO, but again, I don't have any experience using masks.)

Where/when will these (both the 1/72 and 1/48 VF-1 masks, and/or any future products) be sold? The RTKF Facebook store?

15 hours ago, kajnrig said:

I'm sure any extra masking can be done by the modeler themselves. But I don't have any experience with canopy masks; do other makers make their masks fit the entire canopy or just the essential outline like this? (I'd have thought the latter, which would honestly be a better way to go IMO, but again, I don't have any experience using masks.)

Where/when will these (both the 1/72 and 1/48 VF-1 masks, and/or any future products) be sold? The RTKF Facebook store?

Its a mixed bag on how the masks are designed, at least from what I can see. Some provide just the outline, some the whole canopy but in multiple parts. For F-16 canopies I have seen them as four part (left, right, front and rear) others as single or multiple part outlines. I'll have to modify the above example to be two parts as it was a bit fiddly to handle and had a habit of folding over and lightly sticking itself. The 1/72 version didn't have that problem but looked a bit ugly once applied as the middle creases up. The outline version looks nicer but will be extra work. To me it looks like there is no silver bullet...

We sell via the Facebook Store, here eBay (although prices are higher there to try and cover fees etc) but basically any where that have us! :D At the moment we only have the Gnerl/Regult resin kits for sale but I am beavering away on these masks as well. That said keep your eyes out for another kit to come in the next couple of months.

- Brett

More progress on the 1/48 VF -1 DYRL style masks. These are pretty much finalised except for working out how the fron mask will be packaged (single piece, multi piece, solid, outline etc).

But the question remains; do people want mask to be able to paint the internal canopy frames as well? Or just the outside?

27857786_2006139732970133_9065065309718054599_n.jpg.bef006e39db7c9bf375eac3f7a2919c9.jpg27459762_2006139752970131_8966217385655179475_n.jpg.40a8522b7a3d3de80037a326025d96e1.jpg

- Brett