Jump to content
raptormesh

Waterslide decals on old Matte Yammies

Recommended Posts

Hi guys,

Looking for advice here, I am planning to place some waterslide decals on a few matte Yamato birds and am wondering if I need to sand or use primers. Does anyone have any experience with this? I read about using a waterslide prep solution but that's just to allow the decal to slide freely right? Just worried about the decals peeling over time. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they need to go on a gloss finish. You could try dipping them in Future before sliding them into position

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NZEOD said:

they need to go on a gloss finish. You could try dipping them in Future before sliding them into position

 

Thanks! Will try that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While gloss is ideal, I've had reasonable success without it on Yamato VF-1 valks. Though that was on white, admittedly. What are you wanting to tackle?

Might be worth looking at @no3Ljm's progress on his Arcadia valks for some tips. Since we're usually dealing with lighter plastics, you can get away with a lot less surface prep than you would on a darker model. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, mickyg said:

While gloss is ideal, I've had reasonable success without it on Yamato VF-1 valks. Though that was on white, admittedly. What are you wanting to tackle?

Might be worth looking at @no3Ljm's progress on his Arcadia valks for some tips. Since we're usually dealing with lighter plastics, you can get away with a lot less surface prep than you would on a darker model. 

water slide decal silvering is really noticeable on dark surface. If it is a white plastic/white painted surface, I dont think you will have a problem. I had reasonable success as well on using decals on satin finish (painted with Tamiya AS spray paint) surface and bare plastic of Bandai.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, chyll2 said:

water slide decal silvering is really noticeable on dark surface. If it is a white plastic/white painted surface, I dont think you will have a problem. I had reasonable success as well on using decals on satin finish (painted with Tamiya AS spray paint) surface and bare plastic of Bandai.

 

Unfortunately I am attempting it on a very dark background. It's Gamlin's VF-22. 

23 hours ago, mickyg said:

While gloss is ideal, I've had reasonable success without it on Yamato VF-1 valks. Though that was on white, admittedly. What are you wanting to tackle?

Might be worth looking at @no3Ljm's progress on his Arcadia valks for some tips. Since we're usually dealing with lighter plastics, you can get away with a lot less surface prep than you would on a darker model. 

Thanks, will check those out. The water decals I am planning to use are quite small as well. Might make a few test runs before using the targeted decal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×