Diorama 1/72 VF-1EA Howler on Ready 5

NZEOD

VF-1EA Howler

Calling this one completed.

May add a bit more weathering to the deck surface and replace the pilots arm that I've just noticed is missing!

Awaiting a custom case for it now.

Meantime it adorns the wall awaiting the completion of another deck scene to go with it. A VF-0 at the moment of a hard arrested landing on a pitching deck.

DSC_0926_zpsdxwz2o2b.jpgDSC_0927_zpsw7hjak4k.jpgDSC_0928_zpsagpfudpy.jpg

DSC_0929_zpsqf6dhilf.jpg

The model is a Hasegawa 1/72 VF-1D converted into a VF-1EA (Electronic Attack) Howler variant with corrected legs, painted in a mix of Alclad II Lacquers, Model Master Acrylics, Tamiya Acrylics and Citadel paints for the figures and pilots. Panel lining is a mix of Ammo and Florys. Clear coats as as follows: 1 Alclad Aqua gloss for the pre decal layer, 1 Aqua gloss for the pre panel line layer, 1 Alclad Matt lacquer final layer. The canopy was sanded and polished with Tamiya course and fine compound then dipped in Future.

The Unit is VAQ-135 "The Black Ravens" - A Current E/A-18G Growler unit. The aircraft is 520 the CAG bird.

The Decals are a mix of the stock 1/72 VF-1D, E/A-18G, VF-0A and Ghost decals and some Gundam Warning labels in 1/144 and 1/100.

I've replaced the Gunpod with a Low Band ALQ-99 ECM pod

The wings carry a Harpoon, AQL-99 High band pod and 3 self defence missiles each.

Half the VF-1D photo etch set has been used. 

The Deck is from the Italeri 1/72 Flight Deck set (I have 4 of them - ES-11B Cats Eye is coming)

The Cat crew are from Shapeways with one of the Green shirts hooking up the VF to the Cat shoe from the Fujima Flight Deck set.

The Cat shoe is a piece of sprue I sanded into a square beam then shaped.

The Hold Back bar is a piece of unused landing gear with 3 layers of 1 and 2mm heatshrink fitted.

Pilots heads have been turned for a better effect.

Canopy was set open using a small bracket set above the rear seat and held in place with a mix of white glue and UV Cure resin.

On deck we have 3 officers/Chief Petty officers in khaki pants and the Blues are enlisted ranks. The red shirt is my old trade, EOD and Ordnance. 

The scene depicts a Ready 5 situation where by the aircraft is set on 5 minutes notice to move and is the worst time for all as they have to "Hurry up and wait" as they sit, maybe for hours, on the catapult awaiting the signal to go if needed. Meantime they all sit and wait and talk and joke and double check everything.

Edited by NZEOD

working on a few more at the moment. Another Howler from the Scorpions and a bunch of re-envisioned real world VFA units in single and double seaters.

Sweet! More in-service VF-1D!!

She's a beaut NZEOD. Great little carrier scene... gotta love the "Hurry up and wait"

Someone bring the flight-crew a colouring-book!

Not often you see electric green on an active duty bird...

no 'Liberace' gold canopy?

[anyone know how one could replicate that effect? iridescent paint? or modifying/mixing a Tamiya clear?]

Edited by slide

1 hour ago, slide said:

She's a beaut NZEOD. Great little carrier scene... gotta love the "Hurry up and wait"

[anyone know how one could replicate that effect? iridescent paint? or modifying/mixing a Tamiya clear?]

Maybe a pearl coat on top of a transparent bronze?

2 hours ago, slide said:

either a dilute yellow and gold pearl mix such as PearlEx 656 Brilliant Gold and 630 Citrine Pearl Powders p656.jpg630-Citrine-Pearl-Ex-Mica-Powder-Pigment.2.jpg

mixed about 2grams to a 30ml Tamiya jar of Clear or a mix of food colouring yellow and a metallic gold mixed in a future base. Ive tried both to good effect. You just have to remember to wick off any tint that pools on the edges with a Qtip as it will dry darker than the rest of the canopy.

Alclad Holographic works for a Main canopy tint as well.

Some links to other ideas

http://www.arcair.com/tnt1/001-100/TNT063-Tinting-Canopies-Gok/00.shtm

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/33293.aspx

As to why I didn't do it here, its not a feature of the E/A-18G so its not on my VF replacement. HAVE GLASS which is the RCS reducing Iridium/Tin Oxide coating you're talking of is not needed as its a stealth feature of  F16 and up pre Overtech fighters. Its other benefits are reduced sun glare and cockpit heat which is taken care of by the VF-1s far superior environment systems which can handle atmosphere to Vacuum conditions and by the Overtech helmet visors used from the VF-0 on up. 

Edited by NZEOD

On 1/2/2018 at 3:59 PM, NZEOD said:

The wings carry a Harpoon, AQL-99 High band pod and 3 self defence missiles each.

That looks fantastic! I know you’ve been working on that variant concept for a long time. Congrats on completing the project!

I think you meant to say a HARM above?

The carrier deck base looks good. I’ve been watching for the Macross Valkyrie flight deck to get restocked in the Starship Modeler Store (I should probably ask them about it). This looks like a great alternative.

Just now, VF-1A Grunt said:

I’ve been watching for the Macross Valkyrie flight deck to get restocked in the Starship Modeler Store (I should probably ask them about it). This looks like a great alternative.

Just now, NZEOD said:

flight deck?

you mean the launch arm? If so, I have one you could have

I think Grunt's referring to this one.

Yes, that’s the one, Slide, but now that I look at it again, NZEOD’s Italeri deck has much better detail and is larger as well. I’m not totally sure how closely the Starship kit matches the Prometheus deck SDFM either (which I assume is what it’s supposed to be). I’ll have to keep an eye out for the Italeri kit (it appears to be discontinued or at least out of stock everywhere).

Looking at the opening of the show, I don't think the SSM offering is accurate to the Prometheus [but I admit, I don't recall the JBD design from the show proper]

Nor is it accurate to the DYR:L? Game intro [@ 0:55 looks like the JBD is right off a Nitmitz]... but THAT version of Prometheus gets cut in half by the orbiting Zentradi, so YMMV...

I wouldn't get the SSM one for "accuracy", but I like it none-the-less.

I may be able to help with the Italeri kit as well as I have 4 I think. The starship one doesn't match it at all

Otherwise here is another option

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TSM-1-72-US-Navy-Aircraft-Carrier-Deck-Base-with-Catapult-Officer-TSMWAC001/182985859683?hash=item2a9acea263:g:U~cAAOSwi8xaRMhp

3 hours ago, arbit said:

Nice work. But looks to me like Red Shirt needs to get his tail back on the job!

Nope. The last thing done before a Fighter is launched with live ordnance on board is for the Ordnance team to remove the Arming tags. Its done as the aircraft is being hooked up to the cat shoe or if its a Ready 5 its done after its hooked up but once the command to advance to launch is given.

US_Navy_030125-N-7265L-002_An_aviation_o

US_Navy_040604-N-3986D-018_Aviation_Ordn

Edited by NZEOD

More to come then.

A Trapping Valk catching no. 3 wire on a pitching deck

An ES-11B Cats eye being wheelied into position on a catapult.

A Vf-0 on the Cat 

Nice work NZEOD!

I may have asked you before but what method are you using to straighten up the legs on the Hasegawa kits?  I've got a half built VF-1D I started years ago and I ended up plugging the slot and cutting a new one, if memory serves.  Seems it was fairly straight forward to do it that way but you may have used a better method.

Slap the leg together, then assemble the upper leg/thigh... then angle cut the slot you really want for a razorsaw. Easy as that.

VF-1S_0009.jpg

41s4wxZsDUL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Amazing project, so realistic, reminds me of when I was in the US Navy.  Green is my favorite color, and I love the appearance of your valkyrie.  I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next.  Everyday I look at my stack of Macross model kits and want to start building again, if I can just get over this initial trepidation.  Thanks for the inspiration!

On 1/9/2018 at 4:24 PM, NZEOD said:

For Arbit...

Epic! Those small details are something else.

But of course I don't know a pitch deck from a pitch fork.

I need to go watch Top Gun right now...

Edited by arbit

On 09/01/2018 at 11:11 PM, NZEOD said:

Slap the leg together, then assemble the upper leg/thigh... then angle cut the slot you really want for a razorsaw. Easy as that.

VF-1S_0009.jpg

41s4wxZsDUL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Thanks mate!  That's pretty much exactly what I did.  I think I scanned the part and practised with paper to get the angle perfect beforehand but otherwise, same exact method. Good sanity check.

11 hours ago, arbit said:

Epic! Those small details are something else.

But of course I don't know a pitch deck from a pitch fork.

I need to go watch Top Gun right now...

Thanks for the video. Pretty cool.

Im referencing the below video for lighting my valk. I noticed that the wing warning lights are full on during landing.  I think only the tail fin lights are strobing.

For naval battleships, the oldstandard was that the warning lights are red on the port side (left) and green/white on the starboard side (right).

What is the standard for warning lights on aircraft?

Edited by arbit

23 minutes ago, mickyg said:

It's the same. I recall the saying, "is there anymore (red) port left?" And that always helps with the colour and location. 

Yes it seems the same for the wing lights, but with these modern fighters, some have red warning lights on the right tail fins. So I was wondering if there are standards, or a mish mash.

Edited by arbit

Tail Anti collision lights are both red on the F/A-18 models

The under wings and the front wing to body step/root has the green Starboard/Right lights and Red on the Port/Left

Edited by NZEOD