[Netflix] She-Ra Princess of Power

Old_Nash

8 minutes ago, jenius said:

So they introduced a gay character and you told your kids they couldn't watch the show any more? Never... Ever... Let them go to college.

so hey why not introduce a furry too. How about a something something. I get it. Having demon men dressed in ladies ware reading books to children who think boys and girls are eeky is all the fad these days  but to me or my kids. Not required in a cartoon. It was forced and contrived and really didnt add to the story.

And No. I will be sending them to china for schooling. You know where they are miles ahead of most western schools.

Edited by slaginpit

Well...good luck with that.

As for She-Ra, the Ben10 jokes are cute and all, but I don't mind her tomboy look. I guess they could have gone for utility and given her a full suit of armour or something less fantastic making her into a Joan of Arc analogue, but that would have changed the costume completely from the original and might have resulted in even more madness. J. Michael Straczynski weighed in on the twitter discussion and gave some thoughts. You can read them here:

https://www.themarysue.com/j-michael-straczynski-she-ra-design/

I'm actually glad he did this as a co-creator of the original series. It helps to give some much needed perspective.

Edited by technoblue

• 2 weeks later...

So I binge watched this with my seven year old and we both enjoyed it.  She liked the excitement and silliness.  She enjoys most cartoons on Netflix to one degree or another.  The following is almost completely spoiler free.

Here's what I liked:

- Character development: They didn't skimp. Particularly with the villains. The villains are actually the best characters in the show, which in my book is usually a good sign.  Side-kicks are also interesting and there's plenty of easter-eggs for fans of the original.

- Stories: So far, so good.  I'd put it on par with Netflix's Voltron, but behind Dragon Prince and Avatar.  Eager for season 2.

What did not annoy me:

- Animation:  While it doesn't have the retro charm of the rotoscoping from the original series, it's actually well done.  The quality is consistent. Movement is fluid and there's plenty of color.

The not-so-good:

- Hordack: In the original was really one of the best things about the show.  He consistently delivered laughs and through his schemes we got to see what made him an interesting bad guy.

We have yet to see that and the show is definitely seems to be setting itself up for another season.  While the original showed the horde as fascist occupiers constantly wrecking havoc,  this season was all about the core characters and how they related to one another.

My hope is that we will see more of the evil in season 2 and spend maybe a bit less on the interpersonal.

Overall, a another solid entry for Netflix's animation library.  It's interesting how that is starting to define Netflix.  Must be because it's cheap to produce versus live action stuff. Having just watched this and Castlevania and considering Voltron and Dragon Prince, Netflix seems to do animation well.

Edited by Mazinger

I was just thinking of reviving this thread, as we’ve been marathoning it this weekend. The whole family’s sucked into it; even my son, who’s 5 & is usually only interested in shows with male main characters. A little over halfway through, and count us as solidly on Team Giant Buff She-Ra.

14 hours ago, Mazinger said:

We have yet to see that and the show is definitely seems to be setting itself up for another season.  While the original showed the horde as fascist occupiers constantly wrecking havoc,  this season was all about the core characters and how they related to one another.

My hope is that we will see more of the evil in season 2 and spend maybe a bit less on the interpersonal.

I like how new She-Ra is defining/redefining the characters. I don't know if Hordak will have more of a role to play in subsequent seasons, but I'm hoping he will too. His role in this first season was important, if subtle, since his actions pushed a certain someone along. I think his role was similar to Haggar's in the first season of new Voltron, and she became more visible (likewise more important) in subsequent seasons of that show. 

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the character interactions, myself. I don't know if She-Ra will show us anything definitively evil just yet. The show might work up to that, though. I do like how it appears to be redefining the line between light and dark as a balance. It isn't always shown as an extreme gap, but sometimes just a miscommunication, a step in the opposite direction, or a choice that has a grave consequence. So, yeah, I completed the first season over the weekend too. Much fun was had.

There is one issue that the show brought up that was pretty salient. At least, I thought it was as an adult watching (I'll put this under a spoiler tag)

Spoiler

When Light Hope is showing Adora images of past She-Ra protectors, and then goes into detail about the last She-Ra who was driven to madness because of emotional conflict. I wonder if that will end up becoming an obstacle that Adora will also have to face as She-Ra in future seasons, and how will she conquer it?

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just finished season 3 and I gotta say I'm eager for season 4 and then the final season 5.

This season keeps up the character development and delivers some good story quality.

Also we finally get more back story on Hordak, but in a way, that kind of doesn't matter as for me other sub-plots are now more important.

9 hours ago, Mazinger said:

Just finished season 3 and I gotta say I'm eager for season 4 and then the final season 5.

This season keeps up the character development and delivers some good story quality.

Also we finally get more back story on Hordak, but in a way, that kind of doesn't matter as for me other sub-plots are now more important.

Yeah, the show has been consistently fun--with so many dynamic characters--it's been very easy for me to marathon a whole season in one sitting. If there are only two left, I'm hoping seasons 4 and 5 are a little longer than 3 so that the writers can tie up everything in a good way.

Edited by technoblue

My now 7 year old has been watching this, I ended up watching a fair bit of it with him and I must say it’s grown on me and I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how dynamic it is. Like anything, it’s not perfect but I think it’s pretty good.

@technoblue It's obvious Hordak is going to play a bigger role and is receiving some  in depth character development . As to your "hidden content" musings, remember that Adora , though she is ultimately going theough the She-Ra experience as an individual, she has major back up and friends that are more like family now. 

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

@technoblue It's obvious Hordak is going to play a bigger role and is receiving some  in depth character development . As to your "hidden content" musings, remember that Adora , though she is ultimately going theough the She-Ra experience as an individual, she has major back up and friends that are more like family now. 

Yeah, I posted those musings after watching season 2 last year.

Much of what I wrote was done in anticipation of the new season this year, and it didn't disappoint at all.  :D

Spoiler

Adora's search for answers about her past has been exciting to watch, although I was a bit unsure at first. I think revisiting the alternate timeline trope was what got my heckles up, but the show saved things for me by going somewhere completely different than the first time after a minute or so. In the end, I was left wondering if we will ever see Queen Angela or King Micah again. It will say a lot if this show respects its own character sacrifices. That wasn't very common with the old cartoon.  

Hordak's story has become so very. very interesting. I really like what happened when he and Entrapta got together and she refocused on her first ones tech studies. The thing is, I'm not sure how to respond to that relationship now in light of season 3 events especially when viewing things from Entrapta's perspective. In some ways it's almost a tragic comedy where she's lost searching for a true friend who understands her but keeps getting let down. 

Now Catra, she seems to becoming (more and more) as capable a villain as Hordak. With the Hoard being aware of Etheria, I wonder how the power struggle between Hordak, Shadow Weaver, and Catra will play out?  

Anyway, like I said, it's a consistently fun show and I'm looking forward to more. 

Edited by technoblue
Wrong planet... :p

What's crazy for me is that now after season 3 turned out so good I'm worried that the upcoming He-Man film will not be by comparison.

I do want the worlds, Etheria and Eternia, to connect at some point in the same way that I wish SW:Rebels fans got a big screen pay off, but I doubt Mattel is that forward looking.