Disney or Comcast buys Fox or Fox wants to sell to someone

Old_Nash

21 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Yeah, I think I already explained why the one thing definitely worse than Disney getting Fox is Comcast getting Fox...<_<

44 minutes ago, TangledThorns said:

Whoever loses the bidding war should use that unspent money for charity :)

Charity alright, charity for Sideshow Bob and his immediate minions if the mouse loses.  The cast members don't deserve anything.  :o  (actually, they deserve it more than the C-suite, those suits must be incredibly hot and uncomfortable)

1 hour ago, kalvasflam said:

Charity alright, charity for Sideshow Bob and his immediate minions if the mouse loses.  The cast members don't deserve anything.  :o  (actually, they deserve it more than the C-suite, those suits must be incredibly hot and uncomfortable)

Did Walt Defecate in your corn flakes?

5 hours ago, Dynaman said:

Did Walt Defecate in your corn flakes?

Are you kidding, I love Disney.  I hope Sideshow Bob stays on forever.  Do you know why?   The guy managed to transform Disney after the disaster of the Eisner era.  I hope they succeed with the Fox bid, because it would enable them to survive.  Without Disney, we'd not have the MCU, Star Wars would be lingering in limbo while Lucas vacillates between doing something and his inherent desire to be lazy.  All that and because I happen to own shares.

Of all the movies I watched in the last few years, I think there was three that didn't originate from Disney.

Edited by kalvasflam

11 hours ago, kalvasflam said:

Are you kidding, I love Disney.  I hope Sideshow Bob stays on forever.  Do you know why?   The guy managed to transform Disney after the disaster of the Eisner era.  I hope they succeed with the Fox bid, because it would enable them to survive.  Without Disney, we'd not have the MCU, Star Wars would be lingering in limbo while Lucas vacillates between doing something and his inherent desire to be lazy.  All that and because I happen to own shares.

Of all the movies I watched in the last few years, I think there was three that didn't originate from Disney.

But... whos started MCU was Universal not Disney...

Disney buys Marvel after the sucess of movies.

1 minute ago, kajnrig said:

Looking at the link, is that $713 billion or 71.3 billion? Because one is the GDP of a small country, the other is the GDP of the universe.

71.3 Bi.

CMON COMCAST!

Make a huehuebrbr move!

2 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

But... whos started MCU was Universal not Disney...

Disney buys Marvel after the sucess of movies.

That's like saying, who started McDonalds, it wasn't Ray Kroc.   It's factually true, but not that relevant as to the question who made Disney great again.

It took the genius of Sideshow Bob to recognize the importance of content over distribution after he became CEO and his ability to pick outstanding people to run those units made Disney the empire.  Hence, his succession of purchases.  Remember, lots of people could've had Marvel (ahem Sony, and Fox), only Sideshow Bob took the leap, by the time Disney bought Marvel, there had only been two movies released, and one of them (with Ed Norton) sucked Stain balls.   Sure, Pixar was a proven asset, but Iger had to do that deal or risk the animation gravy train ending.  Star Wars was another decent move, the key was kicking out old George Lucas, nobody else could've done that, and let's face it, Fox could've bought out Star Wars. 

Love 24, I have the DVDs to prove it... but unfortunately, Keifer is over the hill, sometimes it's best to let old things die and just remember them fondly as they were, rather than seeing them as what they become.  Looking at you, Han Solo.

10 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I can't believe people are still cheering on Comcast. I'm saying this one more time, better the Mouse gets Fox than Actually Satan.

Between two devils your logical choice is the minor^^

In this case Comcast XD

16 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I can't believe people are still cheering on Comcast. I'm saying this one more time, better the Mouse gets Fox than Actually Satan.

I generally don‘t understand the concept of cheering for a faceless, profit-oriented corporation.

2 hours ago, Old_Nash said:

Between two devils your logical choice is the minor^^

In this case Comcast XD

There really isn't a lesser evil here... that's kind of the problem.

On the one side you've got a faceless megacorporation that treats its customers like garbage and is actively trying to destroy consumer protections, and on the other side you've got a faceless megacorporation that treats its employees like garbage and is actively trying to destroy employee protections.

It's like the tagline from Alien vs. Predator... "Whoever wins, we lose".

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I generally don‘t understand the concept of cheering for a faceless, profit-oriented corporation.

Maybe if it were a corporation that is actually doing something worthwhile and beneficial for the human race, like SpaceX... this is more like deciding to root for one of two competing serial killers.

Comcast is horrible company.   People hate having to use them is their ISP but they've got no choice.   Disney just ruined Star Wars.   Comcast has had a more negative impact on my life than Disney has ever had.

Both are horrible companies.

28 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

On the one side you've got a faceless megacorporation that treats its customers like garbage and is actively trying to destroy consumer protections, and on the other side you've got a faceless megacorporation that treats its employees like garbage and is actively trying to destroy employee protections.

This. I think we've all heard the horror stories of Comcast. Hell, I remember one time they broke their own cable box lid, then left the chunks of the cement lid on the street for a week. I had to call them just to tell them to replace the lid THEY broke. And it was for my neighbor's cable installation. That being said, I've heard as far back as 1998/99 about Disney's employee treatment. I'm assuming that hasn't changed much.

That being said, my preference would be Comcast. Neither company would be a good choice, but I feel Disney is becoming a media conglomerate that's getting too big. Buying 20th Century Fox would increase their holdings. @Seto Kaiba is right; whoever wins, we lose. 

1 hour ago, kajnrig said:

I'm still wondering who the hell "Sideshow Bob" is supposed to refer to. I just think of The Simpsons and go look up some Youtube clips.

Bob Iger, CEO of Disney.  I just like to call him Sideshow Bob because he isn't Walt.  But it's all tongue and cheek fun, anyone who knows how Iger has operated knows that the man has done a fantastic job at Disney.  Yes, raising prices at the park is not good for consumers, but would you rather have 10,000 more people a day crowding in Disney?  ESPN and ABC are kind of on the downside these days even though they still bring in a good share of the revenue.  But that one is a trend problem, one that Sideshow Bob is tackling by moving his distribution online like Netflix.  The man has greased the wheels for Disney for the next decade, I feel sorry for whoever has to replace him.  It'll not be quite as bad as coming in after Walt or Steve Jobs, but whoever it is has to think about how to advance the Disney empire to the next level, and it's a tall order.

19 minutes ago, azrael said:

This. I think we've all heard the horror stories of Comcast. Hell, I remember one time they broke their own cable box lid, then left the chunks of the cement lid on the street for a week. I had to call them just to tell them to replace the lid THEY broke. And it was for my neighbor's cable installation. That being said, I've heard as far back as 1998/99 about Disney's employee treatment. I'm assuming that hasn't changed much.

I would agree that I'd rather pick Disney than Comcast because the latter has a much more horrible impact on our lives than Disney.  You can always choose to go without Disney, going without Comcast can be a lot harder depending on which part of the country you live in.

20 minutes ago, azrael said:

Maybe one of them will buy the other out and change its name to Weyland-Yutani just to get the point across.

20 minutes ago, azrael said:

This. I think we've all heard the horror stories of Comcast.

I think I may well be the only Comcast customer who doesn't have one of their own.

Everyone else I know who uses them, as @Roy Focker said, because they're either the only real ISP in the area or at least the only one capable of feigning competence has had a pretty frustrating time of it.  Me?  Somehow I've escaped ALL of the Comcast customer service stereotypes except getting accidentally disconnected a few times by new-hire level-1 support techs.

It's a bit like having Lord Voldemort leave you a plate of fresh scones in the morning just because he knows nobody'll ever believe you if you tell them about it.

25 minutes ago, azrael said:

That being said, I've heard as far back as 1998/99 about Disney's employee treatment. I'm assuming that hasn't changed much.

If anything, it's gotten slightly worse since Disney is actively digging in its heels over the subject of paying its employees a living wage instead of having them live on food stamps... and is not happy about being called a leech on the welfare system.

I don't think Fox has fully considered the benefits of MY offer.

Sure if you go by straight dollar amounts, I can't afford to give them literally a hundred billion dollars.

But in terms of non-cash perks, I am the only one offering to buy every member of the board a pack of gum. This seems like a good deal, and leaves Fox in the hands of someone that ISN'T blatantly evil. That's what I call a win-win, but they simply refuse to return my calls.

Unfortunately it seems like Disney's gonna win. Fox seems more interested in Disney's stock/cash offer & has been in negotiations with Disney longer...I guess the best defense against Disney would be to train your kids to hate Disney, put a parental lock on their TV shows/movies & when they're older inform them on Disney's employee treatment. Lol...And use China's internet/search engine :baidu. Between 4-8mths after theatrical release with enough patience u could stream a free Marvel/SW movie. 

Edited by troyness

On 6/21/2018 at 2:48 AM, troyness said:

Unfortunately it seems like Disney's gonna win.

Australia.

Yeah, pretty sure you and @Old_Nash keep cheering on Comcast because you don't live here and don't get how truly heinous Comcast is. Sure, maybe you've heard stories. Maybe you don't quite believe them.

Guess what? The stories are true. Comcast is that bad. Worse, even!

Don't cheer them on. In fact, pray that Disney gets Fox. Because, especially without any Net Neutrality protections in the US anymore, I promise you that Comcast getting them will be much, much worse.

Seriously. You guys act like Disney kicked your puppy. Well, if you lived in a Comcast market they probably actually kicked your puppy, then added a recurring puppy-kicking fee to your bill.