Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I really hope it is 1/48 or bigger, then I will get one or 2 as a center display piece, I have at least 19 V2 VF-1 already, let alone other scale, unless it is dramatically better than V2, I don't want to reboot my VF-1 collection... again!!

5 minutes ago, jenius said:

This may have sucked a lot of wind from any Arcadia Wonderfest announcements, especially if this costs less than a PF V2 

Depends if Arcadia's announcing any VF-1 figures. If all they've got left to do are things like VF-1D/Elintseeker/Super Ostrich then I don't think Bandai's VF-1 will change much.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

The more people I see saying they're skipping, the more I'm hopeful the PO night will be easy.

Also, the less I believe you all.

Its all lies .  

Preorder madess is gonna happens.

19 minutes ago, jenius said:

This may have sucked a lot of wind from any Arcadia Wonderfest announcements, especially if this costs less than a PF V2 

The product announcement just came out of nowhere this time round... unlike the YF-19 DX, wasn’t that announced years before the PO date in April?  

Even though I think I’m going to stay up and order one next week, there are a few reasons I can think of that supports holding out on this one:

- first release of this mold and scale from Bandai, refinements will come in later versions (like the HM-R battroid shoulder covers, ball jointed neck after VF-1A)

- knowing Bandai, they will never do a GBP Armor only release. 

- curse of the first production run (eg minor under wing scratches in the VF-31A?)

Edited by rdrunner

8 hours ago, Slave IV said:

1/48 works for me. I don't have the Yamato VF-1J Hikaru so it will go well with the other ones I do have.

@no3Ljm We need a new wallet gif! Closest I could find

Hikaru-Shooting-Wallet-by-NO3LJM-500px_z

New wallet gif - yes please @no3Ljm :D

Im thinking of the TV OP where the -1J charges through the city in Gerwalk mode -> transforms to battroid -> rolls -> guns down a regult/wallet around the corner...:D

18 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

The product announcement just came out of nowhere this time round... unlike the YF-19 DX, wasn’t that announced years before the PO date in April?  

This was teased at Tamashii Nations late last year, but I still agree it is surprising this announcement came without any other previews.  What we saw at TN was met with a pretty tepid response, at least here.  It does look like they tweaked the chest plate, and the gunpod looks smaller to my eyes.  They may have done more, but it is hard to tell with such  low-res pictures.

Meanwhile, we're still waiting on products that have been shown multiple times at various shows (cough HMR tomahawk).

For the folks who are worried whether to buy or not just based on the video, rest assured bandai will be doing some special spread to list all the gimmicks etc to get your moolah.

Watch out for detailed announcements next week, as what bandai have been doing prior to valk releases..

29 minutes ago, rdrunner said:

Even though I think I’m going to stay up and order one next week, there are a few reasons I can think of that supports holding out on this one:

- first release of this mold and scale from Bandai, refinements will come in later versions (like the HM-R battroid shoulder covers, ball jointed neck after VF-1A)

- knowing Bandai, they will never do a GBP Armor only release. 

- curse of the first production run (eg minor under wing scratches in the VF-31A?)

Bandai has been releasing separate add-on packs for DX valks, so i don't see why they would not release separate GBP armor packs, if sales prove well.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I hope for this Bandai 1/48 valk is a big success so Arcadia sees that, acknowledge that and they step up their game cause in my opinion Arcadia  are lacking alot of what it offers and for me those offerings definitely not justify those price tags starting with those premium finishes ridiculous price tags.    

11 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

Arcadia's VF-1 dominance is likely up and its likely they knew it was coming...hence they keep rereleasing hero valks with a few bucks worth of tampo more and jacking up the price to eek every last cent out of that 10+ year old investment they made when they were still yamato.

I don't think this will mark the end of Arcadia's 1/60 VF-1. The 1/48's Achilles' heel is that hardly anything else in the Macross universe scales with it; most other mecha in that scale would be too large and cost prohibitive. There's always going to be a market for a 1/60 VF-1, due to ancillary support from 1/60 VF-31's, etc. Though, depending on how good this 1/48 VF-1 looks, it might just motivate Arcadia to begin development on a v3 1/60 VF-1.

Perhaps Bandai need to do something new for an accessory.  How about something radically different!  How about releasing a Misa in space suit figure complete with Riber's room so we can have Hikaru rescue her like in Bye-Bye Mars!

Though I believe it will probably go as Silence the Cat said:

8 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

So... in my head, I am thinking the VF-1J will end up costing around $200 - $250.

Then comes Super Parts for $100 - $150.

And then Strike Parts for another $100 - $150.

And then Armored Parts for $200 - $250.

Maybe you get lucky and get a combined Super/Strike Parts.... maybe.

I just fear that a single VF-1J plus accessories ends up running as much as $800.

This seems to me how Bandai does business in their DX line.

4 hours ago, DewPoint said:

I just fear that a single VF-1J plus accessories ends up running as much as $800.

Crazy price, I'll make do with my old 1/48 Yammies and buy other stuff. (Some of us don't just collect Macross....I collect vintage bots, Giant Robots, retro gaming stuff just to name a few, and not rolling in gold to get whatever comes out ) 

8 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Unfortunately that's a high probability, and having to sell off the entire squadron 2-3 years later to start again from scratch for some improved version isn't appealing. 

At first glance it looks like a scaled up HMR, arms articulations, legs etc with a few mods here and there,everything else looks the same.

Any of you like myself who own the Yammies 1/48 considering getting rid of them? (Aside a for few, they're not worth much nowadays....And will probably be worth even less when Bandai releases theirs). Arcadia won't do anything with their V2 prices, the only thing I can see them doing is a V2 1/48 just to tick them off. They'll wait, see the problems and complains with the Bandai version, and announce theirs, with x3 times the amount of details, gimmicks and whatnot.....(not to mention x3 times the price but hey...it's Arcadia...).

Most importantly before giving a definite 'Thanks but no thanks', I'd like to know more details. Die-cast? Gimmicks? Etc and obviously the price. If it's in the ¥20000/¥25000 range it'll be a 'maybe'. Anything above, no way...however 'cool' it might be. No room in my wallet nor my displays (unless I replace all my Yammies 1/48 of course.....). 

8 hours ago, seti88 said:

Bandai has been releasing separate add-on packs for DX valks, so i don't see why they would not release separate GBP armor packs, if sales prove well.

Sorry you’re absolutely right - for some reason I was thinking of Arcadia’s GBP-1J release just then. 

maybe i been out of dx game a while (sat most of delta  out) ...but

"Then comes Super Parts for $100 - $150.

And then Armored Parts for $200 - $250."

I don't think they costed that much....if i had to hazard a guess based purely on memory...most armor/super packs (other than heavy armored) didn't break $85 or so...some were much less.  $150 definitely seems an aftermarket price on those.  IIRC, some were as little as like $45-55 for the more basic ones.   maybe delta era prices really were way higher?  The simple super/strike  packs on a Vf-1 though better not be $100 each though at retail.  *sign* i rarther miss the yamato days hhaaha

2 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

"Then comes Super Parts for $100 - $150.

And then Armored Parts for $200 - $250."

Super and strike parts will come together of course, it's just a gun, but take $50 off all these prices and you would have exactly what Yamato did. $150 for valk, like $75 for super, almost $150 for GBP and then you had to shop monster boxes. Expecting a similar experience with slightly inflated prices seems wise.

Edited by jenius

I think I agree with Shizuka’s predictions. VF-31 parts MSRP were ~10k, and given the scale increase and the popularity of the VF-1, 10-15k yen for a super & strike parts set is possible (not that I am happy about spending so much on a parts set though). 

15 minutes ago, jenius said:

Super and strike parts will come together if course, it's just a gun, but take $50 off all these prices and you would have exactly what Yamato did. $150 for valk, like $75 for super, almost $150 for GBP and then you had to shop monster boxes. Expecting a similar experience with slightly inflated prices seems wise.

I would certainly hope that super and strike parts come together.... 

but, a part of me worries that they might first release a super parts set... and then at a later point in time, come out with a super + strike parts set... and of course, we'll all buy the super parts set because at the time we don't know that a super + strike parts set will eventually come out.

33 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

I would certainly hope that super and strike parts come together.... 

but, a part of me worries that they might first release a super parts set... and then at a later point in time, come out with a super + strike parts set... and of course, we'll all buy the super parts set because at the time we don't know that a super + strike parts set will eventually come out.

It's possible they would release separate tv and dyrl versions and that the TV version wouldn't have the gun just like Yamato did. So far they haven't seemed to acknowledge that there's a difference between the two.

Bandai has acknowledged a difference between TV and DYRL in their HMR line.....although due to the scale they have mostly stuck with a hybrid....concentrating on simple swaps like colors and certain features like the heads and hands....

The current release is definitely leaning towards being a TV version.....mostly due to the pilot figure and the media used to advertise its release....the SDFM TV Opening....

At this scale, I think Bandai needs to stay anime accurate on armor....small things that most folks wouldn't take note of are fine and understandable as cost saving measures....like the different canopies.....but armor for what now seems to amount to Bandai's "ultimate" VF-1 would be lazy at best....epic fail at worst....we'll find out soon enough

Also....they did release separate TV/DYRL armor for their 1/72 kits a while back

Edited by jvmacross

2 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

what about yellow tipped missiles 

can a get a p-bandai exclusive?

:lol:

That is now a time honored Japanese tradition....no RED tipped missiles will ever be packed into a TV armor pack....it's in the BW contract! :p

Which explains why the upcoming KC 1/72 Super VF-1S will have the correctly colored missile tips....it's licensed by Harmony Gold! ;)

40 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

:lol:

That is now a time honored Japanese tradition....no RED tipped missiles will ever be packed into a TV armor pack....it's in the BW contract! :p

Which explains why the upcoming KC 1/72 Super VF-1S will have the correctly colored missile tips....it's licensed by Harmony Gold! ;)

LOL

On 7/19/2018 at 1:49 PM, Slave IV said:

1/48 works for me. I don't have the Yamato VF-1J Hikaru so it will go well with the other ones I do have.

@no3Ljm We need a new wallet gif! Closest I could find

18 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Im thinking of the TV OP where the -1J charges through the city in Gerwalk mode -> transforms to battroid -> rolls -> guns down a regult/wallet around the corner...:D

SDFMWalletGif.gif

Too lazy to do a better job.  Maybe Noel will step in.

Edited by HardlyNever