Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

It looks like it's using the HMR Arm Sliding Mechanism. Nice.  :good:

They're doing the smart thing here.  Fine tuning their engineering in the smaller HMR line first, and then graduating to the 1/48, perfecting that line, and then (hopefully!) moving on to the 1/35 line.  And that teaser we got way back when.

I mentioned this on another thread - that HMR was just a testbed for the 1/48, and "everyone" laughed at me.  They all thought I was crazy to suggest that the technology learned on a smaller scale could somehow be imported to the larger scale.  But it makes perfect sense to me, and this just proves it.  Thank you for the validation.

32 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

They're doing the smart thing here.  Fine tuning their engineering in the smaller HMR line first, and then graduating to the 1/48, perfecting that line, and then (hopefully!) moving on to the 1/35 line.  And that teaser we got way back when.

I mentioned this on another thread - that HMR was just a testbed for the 1/48, and "everyone" laughed at me.  They all thought I was crazy to suggest that the technology learned on a smaller scale could somehow be imported to the larger scale.  But it makes perfect sense to me, and this just proves it.  Thank you for the validation.

That's how it was in the anime so it's a good thing.

2 hours ago, Numbninja said:

if you were to transform this toy from time to time...how well do you think this will hold up? considering its scale and all. i am aware its not out as yet, but you guys seem to have a keen eye for these things.

Who knows. 

Past DX-chogokin valks from Frontier seems to have some limb-loosening and other QA issues and stuff reported here and elsewhere. 

Not sure about the Delta DX-chogokins just yet since it's fairly recent and new.

Only time will tell with this DX VF-1, I guess.  Can only hope it'll be as sturdy and quite a tank like the old 1/55s.

It's true that only time will tell.  No high end manufacturer of Valks these days can claim to be perfect, even in the last 5 years, which is kind of sad when you think about it.  Even Arcadia didn't get it right on the 1st two VF-0 releases...Bandai has been almost flawless lately with the DX releases, but you never know when they're gonna have a DOHH moment! :lol:

45 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

It's true that only time will tell.  No high end manufacturer of Valks these days can claim to be perfect, even in the last 5 years, which is kind of sad when you think about it.  Even Arcadia didn't get it right on the 1st two VF-0 releases...Bandai has been almost flawless lately with the DX releases, but you never know when they're gonna have a DOHH moment! :lol:

Yeah, the 31s were designed from the get-go to be screwed up, with the ugly frosted canopies and pilots mashed up against the front console.

Not to mention inexplicable patches of glossiness on the flat finish, and paint chips galore out of the box. So yeah, to me Bandai's design and QC are no better than Arcadia, which I find pathetic given how vast Bandai is and Arcadia is only just above "garage kit maker."

24 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

those 1/48 vf-1j wing flaps look like a floppy mess. 

In never futz with them on the Yamato 1/48s but I like knowing they’re their. Happy that Bandai retained that gimmick :)

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

18 hours ago, treatment said:

Only time will tell with this DX VF-1, I guess.  Can only hope it'll be as sturdy and quite a tank like the old 1/55s.

Hard to believe that anything could be as tank-like as the 1/55s, with their metal content and ratcheting joints. But I’d guess the larger DX scale would give them better durability.

I’m starting to wish I’d put in a PO for one of these. Maybe when the inevitable VF-1S is announced.

1 hour ago, ScrambledValkyrie said:

Hard to believe that anything could be as tank-like as the 1/55s, with their metal content and ratcheting joints. But I’d guess the larger DX scale would give them better durability.

I’m starting to wish I’d put in a PO for one of these. Maybe when the inevitable VF-1S is announced.

I don't think anything is going to be quite as durable as the 1/55.  They're much more focused on high end toy making with all the attention to detail.  The paint job, antennae, fins etc. will always be a drag on it.

Yep, there is no way a modern toy with significantly increased detail and articulation is going to match the durability and simplicity of the 1/55, which I can still transform back and forth in seconds all day everyday to this day with no issues. Good thing I don’t need this to be just like the 1/55 because I already have a bunch of 1/55s. 

40 minutes ago, aaajin said:

Has anyone confirmed/seen that the heatshield is integrated? I'd be a meh if its just a bigger version of the HMR with swappable canopy...

It’s early to speculate but the word ‘canopy’ is not showing in the description list like an HMR figure has. 

7 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

It’s early to speculate but the word ‘canopy’ is not showing in the description list like an HMR figure has. 

I see. I was assuming at this point, with all the prototype videos & pictures posted by Bandai/scouts, Bandai must have shared a transformation video. I'll have to sit this one out until it's confirmed. Or wait for the 1S/other variants. 

The transformation videos generally come out a week or thereabouts before the release date - the YF-19’s just came out a few days ago, even though Bandai pretty much just reused the footage from the VF-19 ADVANCE. I think you’ll have to wait until December. 

Edited by Sildani

Looks integrated to me as well. Thanks Ignacio! 

The only thing I’m missing is the round dome shape on the backside panel where the arm rests in fighter mode. It’s always been there in every model kit form. ^_^ 

B9632852-2E5D-47C9-BC2C-EB71F077312A.gif.57c56a690df5d85ed404265d1a4defa8.gif

Edited by no3Ljm

2 minutes ago, Mechinyun said:

Does anyone know of a place where I can pick up a pre-order for a decent price?

I believe that there is still pre-orders up on Amazon Japan. 

As of any other Japanese Hobby stores, you can try looking it up; however, I have a feeling that the orders are closed. Maybe closer to release date, the availability might be still there (don't count on that though). 

Judging from the Metal Build AILE Strike, and DX YF-19 Full set, there will definitely be stock during the release week from cancelled preorders and also more stock on release day.

We're still anticipating a release without the special fighter stand too, but there has been no news at all about that.