Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

8 minutes ago, MKT said:

What is this abomination? Lol.. it really looks some KO mash-up..

Lol, in the past I would have bought this, but the company is a house full of rats these days:lol: (still tempting i may one day)

Bandai Spirits Chogokin - Disney  Super Magical Combined King Robo Mickey & Friends

Mickey and friends join forces to make a magical machine that's perfect for adventures of all kinds!

Featuring a clock motif, it celebrates 100 years of Disney fun and wonder!

Stands approximately 8.7" tall

[Set Contents] Jet Mickey (Ver.D100), Sky Minnie (Ver.D100), Diver Donald (Ver.D100), Aqua Daisy (Ver.D100), Land Goofy (Ver.D100), Dash Pluto (Ver.D100), Doghouse (Ver.D100), Ace Plane, Wonder Clock Wand, Optional pair of hands, Wonder Clock Wand hilt

61liuHO3P2L._AC_SL1097_.jpg

61nsZxjStKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

612W+FsunRL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61314y3U0PL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

61yDUdWfDaL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

6 hours ago, borgified said:

It’s a glorified version of the KC version @davidwhangchoi (with overpriced worthless hollow transparent plastic and useless die cast metal parts according to one person in another Macross site). It’s it worth overspending your money on a FOMO valk for your collection? 

I think KC looks better at least it has fast pack armor, but the Bandai one will likely not break if you move it around. not sure anyone really copied anything, its more of lazy imagination and not getting consumer feedback at least on one side.

BLACK REDall copy2-1100x1100h.jpg

2 minutes ago, Spark-O-Matic said:

I think KC looks better at least it has fast pack armor, but the Bandai one will likely not break if you move it around. not sure anyone really copied anything, its more of lazy imagination and not getting consumer feedback at least on one side.

Copy or not, clear plastic has different structural properties than most others, and it tends to be much more brittle, or just fail in other unexpected ways.

The clear plastic adapter that came with my TV super packs can attest to that, as the plastic formed a stress fracture after a few hours holding the valk.  I boxed back up the stand before it could fail and dump the valk off a shelf.

6 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Out of curiosity, can I ask why do you think it needs to be part of Soul of Chogokin line when it's just a plated version of VF-1J from DX Chogokin line?

Well it could not be part as I mentioned as it would need to be reworked to meet the companies own internal standards for SOC. Why it needs to be? well not this version but I think it should as its history is just as long as most in the lineup. it might be one of the few if not only IP Bandai is keeping out. Its not just a macross piece but the toy itself is an evolution of a groundbreaking toy that decades ago changed toys forever by a designer who's toy designs helped launch a half dozen toy series that are still growing today . to me SOC is a hall of fame and masterpiece lineup. I guess I should have just said a version of Valkyrie also needs to be added to the SOC lineup too instead. it was a confusing statement on my end.

7 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Copy or not, clear plastic has different structural properties than most others, and it tends to be much more brittle, or just fail in other unexpected ways.

The clear plastic adapter that came with my TV super packs can attest to that, as the plastic formed a stress fracture after a few hours holding the valk.  I boxed back up the stand before it could fail and dump the valk off a shelf.

Yeah I understand that, I think the clear parts are kind of at least in the wrong places. and what your saying makes sense. Maybe with clear plastic they could not add enough stiffing agents due to color and they did not compensate by added more structure to the part?

34 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I honestly don't have this issue with the clear stand adapter, I mounted my VF-1A Valkyrie Hayao Kawazaki last year in December, only recently mounting my TV version VF-1J Valkyrie Hikaru Ichijo on the same stand & adapter! I also have missiles and fast packs attached! I wander maybe your in a hotter climate and the heat or humidity might have influenced there demise!? But maybe you might have gotten a bad version wich just cracked easily..... 

IMG_0891.jpg.a3a15897864cfe6bb2544188dd5765a5.jpg

12 hours ago, jvmacross said:

Why stop complaining there? We could have had an HMR Tomahawk and Phalanx by now if Bandai stopped making HMR "everything else"...:rolleyes:

That's a good point. I know that as a community we perpetually complain about canon stuff that Bandai teases and never releases. or just completely ignores in favor of non-canon releases like this one. It seems like every time there's an HMR release, a member posts the "bingo card" from the initial HMR announcement and we look to see if we can cross any of the remaining unreleased items off the list. Usually we can't. Where's my HMR Regult Scout? :D

12 hours ago, Radioguy said:

Price aside, if you love the DX VF-1 design, you'd probably want this for the variant like a sofubi in a different colorway. Folks did grab Yammie repaints once upon a time, so it's not like this is unprecedented. It certainly looks better than the 30th Anniversary Arcadia.

I just hope the availability is correct, and it's successful. If that door is opened, who knows what may come.

Another good point. I do feel that Yamato (putting aside their failed business model) did a great job of building up street cred in the community by not ignoring canon stuff, so when they did non-canon repaints, our reaction was "cool, those are interesting, I'll buy them" instead of "why are they selling non-canon variants when they still haven't made the Max and Miria 1Js, the CF 1A, the Hayao TV 1A, etc." Yamato's approach was logical and they seemed to do a good job of interacting with, and listening to, this community--because they were fans themselves. I don't think any of us truly understand what Bandai is doing with these releases, but as long as they keep making Macross stuff, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll eventually get all of the canon stuff. I don't know if any true fans are in charge of anything within Bandai. For all we know, there's some generative AI bot deciding what gets released. Maybe that's why this 50th anniversary VF-1J looks the way that it does.

57 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

I don't think any of us truly understand what Bandai is doing with these releases, but as long as they keep making Macross stuff, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll eventually get all of the canon stuff. I don't know if any true fans are in charge of anything within Bandai. For all we know, there's some generative AI bot deciding what gets released. Maybe that's why this 50th anniversary VF-1J looks the way that it does.

Agreed.

On 4/12/2024 at 10:47 PM, Spark-O-Matic said:

BLACK REDall copy2-1100x1100h.jpg

On 4/12/2024 at 10:52 PM, Chronocidal said:

hmmm.

honestly, the happywell variant was alot more interesting since it was a VF-1S and was also at least sold at walmart back in the day for around $20 or so...

P7110107.JPG.b4f178e5cbdcb780c2827c3a8615e2f8.JPG

:bump:

picture from https://transmasters.angelfire.com/tmmag/issue7/kojetfirefortmax.html

1 hour ago, Anasazi37 said:

Bandai just proved to us that they are very much capable of not destroying a beautiful valk with excessive tampo, but they choose to do it anyway (Angel Birds, YF-21, etc.).

I don't mind "excessive" tampo...it's the weird, non-canon, and "creative license" type of tampo that I can do without...Tenjin is arguably the best VF illustrator out there, but Bandai'd should just let him illustrate the boxart and not ask for him to make up stuff for their DX line's tampo designs....it doesn't give the DX's more "street cred"....it takes it away...lol

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I don't mind "excessive" tampo...it's the weird, non-canon, and "creative license" type of tampo that I can do without...Tenjin is arguably the best VF illustrator out there, but Bandai'd should just let him illustrate the boxart and not ask for him to make up stuff for their DX line's tampo designs....it doesn't give the DX's more "street cred"....it takes it away...lol

That's mainly what I was referring to. Like the non-canon Angel Birds logo stamped all over that valk. As soon as I saw it, the valk went from must-buy to no-buy.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:34 PM, Chronocidal said:

That's just.. they need to title it the "Never touch me" edition.  I wouldn't bet the chrome will last through a single transformation cycle.

This is literally one you pose once, then lock it behind glass, or better yet, seal it in resin for eternity.

Ah. Looks like you forgot the golden rule of collecting.

Edited by no3Ljm