Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

12 hours ago, seti88 said:

SDFM/DYRL > Delta, the VF-1 has a popularity/nostalgia upper hand.

However new VF-1 releases need to come with significant differentiating factors, in light of many VF-1 releases by everyone.... 
In this case the tampo, improved robustness, larger scale and pricing are the winds in the sails of the VF-1 chogokin...not to mention the overall positive fan-dom acceptance...

Strategically, yes, i think bandai was somehow trying to get the piece of the after market VF-1 pricing pie.
That being said, am glad they put in some innovation (sculpt,design,articulation, pricing) in their offering enough to overcome risks of VF-1 demand saturation.

I certainly hope bandai will continue to crank out vermillion squadron........

this is just my 2 cents, but from a business standpoint, it might make more sense to crank out the VF-1S first (which is a guaranteed high volume seller) to recoup as much of the development costs as possible early on.  That will also give Bandai a sense of how well this thing might sell under other paint schemes.  Once we get there, they may do TWE releases of the vermillion squadron (Max 1A, Kakizaki 1A) and hopefully, fingers crossed, the 1D at some point.  Personally I am not too keen on the DYRL variants and I hope they will give more priority to the TV variants (Alaska base, please?) in this line.

5 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

If anyone has a spare and is willing to part at a reasonable price, please let me know. Or any leads would be appreciated.

Does anyone know if these are available at brick and mortar shops in Japan?

Manda has the listing of the DX VF-1J sold out for now as proxies are now another option. As for other places in Japan, good luck in finding one as it might be sold out after release day.  

1 hour ago, rdrunner said:

this is just my 2 cents, but from a business standpoint, it might make more sense to crank out the VF-1S first (which is a guaranteed high volume seller) to recoup as much of the development costs as possible early on.  That will also give Bandai a sense of how well this thing might sell under other paint schemes.  Once we get there, they may do TWE releases of the vermillion squadron (Max 1A, Kakizaki 1A) and hopefully, fingers crossed, the 1D at some point.  Personally I am not too keen on the DYRL variants and I hope they will give more priority to the TV variants (Alaska base, please?) in this line.

I think that Hikaru's Strike will be the first one then Roy's Strike a few months later based on the HMR release. I could be wrong and say that Roy's will be first and then Hikaru's.

The M&M, Kakizali, Hikaru's 1a, 1D, and others will follow.

3 hours ago, rdrunner said:

I think that the VF-1S may be a one-and-done for some people. The longer Bandai waits to release the VF-1S the more those potential buyers resolve will be worn away. Then when the VF-1S comes out they'll still end up getting it since it is the one they wanted in the first place. I think a VF-1A would be a good candidate for the next one.

1 hour ago, Matt Random said:

I think that the VF-1S may be a one-and-done for some people. The longer Bandai waits to release the VF-1S the more those potential buyers resolve will be worn away. Then when the VF-1S comes out they'll still end up getting it since it is the one they wanted in the first place. I think a VF-1A would be a good candidate for the next one.

Bandai doesn't get a cent from these secondary market sales. If Bandai does a reissue, it would lend credence to your point but also lower the price.

4 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

Bandai doesn't get a cent from these secondary market sales. If Bandai does a reissue, it would lend credence to your point but also lower the price.

I'm not talking about secondary market at all. I'm talking about the people who are thinking "I'll just get the VF-1S and be done". By pushing the VF-1S down the release order those folks are more likely to finally give in and buy whatever Bandai puts up at the time. Then they'll end up double dipping once that VF-1S comes out. The VF-1S is not a matter of if, but when. The question is will one-and-done crowd be able to wait or will they succumb early.

I would have been one-and-done with a VF-1S if it came out first, but there was no way I could have waited. If I had passed on the VF-1J and the VF-1S didn't turn out being next I'd get whatever ended up being #2 since any resolve I had would surely be gone by then given the reviews this has gotten. I'm trying to just keep myself to the VF-1J, but I may very well cave once the VF-1S does come out. And I may end up falling for everything else between now and then.

10 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

By pushing the VF-1S down the release order those folks are more likely to finally give in and buy whatever Bandai puts up at the time. Then they'll end up double dipping once that VF-1S comes out. The VF-1S is not a matter of if, but when. The question is will one-and-done crowd be able to wait or will they succumb early.

While I hope you're wrong, this makes complete sense. I think Bandai has been using this strategy for HMR for a while now, like for a certain Tomahawk. The VF-1S is the DX that I really want, though I'm hoping it's a TV version. 

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Looks awesome painted up, though it makes the complete lack of detail in the cockpit that much more painful on the standard release. :lol:

Only quibble I have is that you should rip out the stock stick, and replace it with something that's not as big around as Hikaru's thigh.  That stick is just unbelievably chunky.

Edited by Chronocidal

1 hour ago, takatoys said:

Got my DX VF-1J and this is the toy I always wanted. It is so pretty!. Almost no need for mods, but I had to add some detail to the gun and laser cannons as someone already did. Anybody already detailed the cockpit? I've always been a fan of a good cockpit for the VF-1. Here is mine and looks great. I will try gerwalk mode next.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love the added color details. :wub:

How come it's not in Battroid mode? The transformation lever is set to B. ^_^

5 hours ago, takatoys said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Okay that is goddamn amazing! That's what I wish Bandai had given us over wing flaps and waist swivel! 

16 hours ago, takatoys said:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Incredible.  Really makes it stand out.

18 minutes ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

I expect to see a Hikaru VF-1A, Hikaru Strike VF-1S and TV Focker  Special at the very least before the end of this year.

@takatoys are you going to make stickers for sale?

Before the end of this year?? That would be truly surprising as a second release hasn't been teased yet and Bandai seems to make such announcements like six months in advance. I definitely hope you're right!

2 minutes ago, jenius said:

Before the end of this year?? That would be truly surprising as a second release hasn't been teased yet and Bandai seems to make such announcements like six months in advance. I definitely hope you're right!

I forgot the 6 months in advance but this year is the 35th anniversary of DYRL so I expect more releases than not

17 hours ago, Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0 said:

@takatoys are you going to make stickers for sale?

Custom stickers for toys are a thing of the past. Toys have improved considerably and now Arcadia and Bandai use tampo markings as standard. I'm glad Bandai has added tons of markings for the DX, more than Arcadia. It looks very nice.

On 2/1/2019 at 3:10 AM, Mechapilot77 said:

does anyone have a feeling the dx chogokin vf-1 series is either a passion project or a strategic move?

looking at this thing in hand, there is no way this can be more profitable than their normal dx chogokin valkyries.  everything about it screams "this cost more to make than a vf-31".  sure the design is simpler, but design is a "one time" cost and not a running cost.  yet they release this thing at an msrp of less than  a typical dx chogokin.  delta was super popular (at least in japan is my impressin) so they coul djust keep cranking those variants out for years and nobody would have blinked if they never made these.  perhaps bandai just saw an opportunity to supplant arcadia using their economies of scale to produce a bigger better product at a cheaper cost?  sure they will nickel and dime us for the add on parts...but they aren't strictly necessary.

Passion project, the dude in charge of DX Chogokin right now at Bandai is a super old school fan who's always trying to sneak through the stuff he personally wants.

19 hours ago, Hikaru1234567890 said:

So I decided to follow takas example of a more detailed cockpit, and I really think it looks amazing! Also Taka, where did you get that HUD decal?

The HUD decal was part of one of my first custom stickers for the Yamato 1/48 toy. Those are long sold out, I'm no longer making stickers. I was lucky to keep one that had that display sticker.

Update on my order from JPfigures . Com. I sent 2 emails with no response so i did a claim on paypal and got a email from paypal today saying they ruled in my favor since they got no response from jpfigs and will get my money refunded. I posted on blacklist thread so yeah stay away from them.  Sucks i didnt get my dx :/. Guess all i can do is wait for a reissue, havent had no luck finding a seller from amazonjp to ship to US, not gonna pay no more than 250 bucks for one..........

On 2/4/2019 at 9:47 AM, ralliart209 said:

Guess all i can do is wait for a reissue, havent had no luck finding a seller from amazonjp to ship to US, not gonna pay no more than 250 bucks for one..........

To be honest, I don't think you can find one right now shipped to you for $250. The latest one sold at Yahoo Japan Auction is Y28500. And you're right, if you really don't want to spend more than $250, the best option obviously is to wait for a reissue.

Edit: Sorry @Vortech. My bad. I misread your 31J to 1J. Removed your F/S thread link. Sorry again.

Edited by no3Ljm

37 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Does anyone know if the YF-19 missiles fit the DX VF-1?  I have my 19 in storage and was wondering if anyone knew before I went in and got it out.

It ought to, my VF-171 stores fit. They most likely won't hold on all that well though.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

It ought to, my VF-171 stores fit. They most likely won't hold on all that well though.

Really? Given the difference in scales (1/60 for the YF-19, 1/48 for the VF-1J)., I would have thought the hard points might not match

5 minutes ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Really? Given the difference in scales (1/60 for the YF-19, 1/48 for the VF-1J)., I would have thought the hard points might not match

I can put up pictures later, I have the (ridiculously oversized) Reaction Missiles from the 171 on my VF-1J. Where they still look oversized.

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

I can put up pictures later, I have the (ridiculously oversized) Reaction Missiles from the 171 on my VF-1J. Where they still look oversized.

I should really work up some adapters to put the VF-31 reaction missiles on the other Bandai valks.  Those stupid 171 versions were blimps.

You may remember I had 1 with a defective wing flap. I have fantastic news. 

I contacted Amiami about it and went through the procedure to report defective items. Amiami replaced the item free of charge. They covered the return shipping and shipping of the replacement. 

Today I received my replacement and it’s the best one of my 3 units. 

I put it through a complete transformation to check for any faults and it looks great! All tampo complete. Joints all working correctly. Wing flaps not defective and no weird scratch markings next to the ordinance slots.

A01CF86F-EB84-4D0E-ACA6-4A2D6EB3DA65.thumb.jpeg.988b8d6ec84a932985e96036bad1cee3.jpeg700C819A-1ABA-47E2-9613-E1A53B020A2E.thumb.jpeg.26522950e491e873e2fe34ba3513a527.jpeg

also perfectly straight wings! My other 2 have misaligned wings when folded. 

7444F445-5A9B-49F9-89B8-7E114772532F.thumb.jpeg.724440133f257b9b321c34c82b7c5a9a.jpeg

I also wanted to show that the tow bar can in fact be angled more than 90 degrees. Once the front door is open you need to push it back in. There will now be enough clearance. To close, you need to pull the door out again, fold and push it back down.

2F82D719-762C-4489-B24A-DC22652EC2E5.jpeg

56D33FFB-3FD6-4FEF-85A4-2AF2966436D4.jpeg

I’d also like to mention that Amiami were very helpful throughout and very apologetic about the defective item. From the general negative view of Ami’s CS by MWF I was skeptical that they were going to replace my faulty unit once I shipped it back. I honestly thought once they received it, I’d suddenly be told there was no more stock so I would simply be given a refund of store credit. They assured me that a new unit had been reserved for me and would be shipped out upon safe receipt of my defective unit. 

It is important to note that during the process I did not request or demand a replacement. Once they confirmed the defect per their T&C they offered me the replacement.

It was very strange they did have a new unit for me even though it was Order Stop. I wonder, Do they have spare units for this kind of thing or does Bandai have spare units to send to retailers should they have warranty claims?

I also wonder what has happened to my defective unit. Will it be sold by Ami as a preowned unit, but still cost more than the SRP (based on current market value)?

Edited by eggy99