Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

50 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Here’s a review of jpfigures

Could not find a ton of info on them but the above is not promising. 

I didnt see that video till couple of days after. Also after ordering i was looking on website and they have the hi metal r vf4 listed as instock and ready to ship, i was like wtf its not even out yet! 

Oh well leason learned, saw a good price and jumped the gun to get one before they are all gone :/. Had no luck finding one on amazon jp to ship to US

Edited by ralliart209

21 minutes ago, ralliart209 said:

I didnt see that video till couple of days after. Also after ordering i was looking on website and they have the hi metal r vf4 listed as instock and ready to ship, i was like wtf its not even out yet! 

Oh well leason learned, saw a good price and jumped the gun to get one before they are all gone :/. Had no luck finding one on amazon jp to ship to US

The only good thing here is that you used Paypal. I had an incident last October with some Chinese seller on eBay for DX YF-19.Like I mentioned earlier the price was too good to be true to let it pass. But at the end of the day, I got my full refund from Paypal.

For more of my share regarding that purchase, you can jump to the Blacklist thread and hopefully it can help you out. Good luck sir!

5 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

The only good thing here is that you used Paypal. I had an incident last October with some Chinese seller on eBay for DX YF-19.Like I mentioned earlier the price was too good to be true to let it pass. But at the end of the day, I got my full refund from Paypal.

For more of my share regarding that purchase, you can jump to the Blacklist thread and hopefully it can help you out. Good luck sir!

Ok, thank you! 

Dammit, I caved and bought another. Just love both B and F modes, gotta have at least 1 of each to play with. I was going to try holding out for the inevitable VF-1S release, but this guy has rekindled my love of the classic Vermillion VF-1J deco, like my very first Joons Chunky.

59 minutes ago, ghostryder said:

Dammit, I caved and bought another. Just love both B and F modes, gotta have at least 1 of each to play with. I was going to try holding out for the inevitable VF-1S release, but this guy has rekindled my love of the classic Vermillion VF-1J deco, like my very first Joons Chunky.

From where? I'm still looking. Anyone with one for sale PM me please.

10 hours ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Here’s a review of jpfigures

Could not find a ton of info on them but the above is not promising. 

This review is EPIC!!!  Easily the best review I've ever seen.  There's nothing more satisfying than watching a pissed off toy collector drop F bombs all over the place.

16 minutes ago, RED WOLF said:

From where? I'm still looking. Anyone with one for sale PM me please.

There was a vendor on Amazon Japan that was still shipping to the US, and had 2 left this morning (both gone now). It was more than I wanted to spend, but still better than ebay, and Amazon Global Express shipping is super fast (3-4 days) which makes it easier to swallow. 

Edited by ghostryder

2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Haha, I don’t see what the problem is? They seem to pack very securely with a generous amount of bubble wrap. :p

I can't imagine what it would have been like if that was my DX VF-1J??!  I would have chartered the first flight to seller's house and personally tested the idea that the DX is tougher than the chunky monkey.  

so after handling this thing just for a few minutes yesterday for the first time....bravo bandai.  very happy they went with a somewhat matte/satin finish as opposed to their normal too glossy DXC plastic finish.  Just looks more sophisticated and military (on the other hand I like my TF's usually to be glossy, especially autobots because real painted cars and trucks have glossy/metallic/pearlescent finishes!).  The tampo amount is good too (arcadia could learn a thing or 10 there) maybe slightly erring on too much vs. too little, but i'm not going to complain.  This is also in my opinion the first time the DXC line's panel gaps/general tolerances seem to be in the same class as the best from yamato/arcadia.  the "sharpness" of the old is apparent.  also, the molded in lines on the body are just the right depth and width etc. for the scale as well whereas arcadia tended to go a tiny bit too shallow/narrow with theirs).  I'll need more time with it but this might just be the best valk ever made (i'm partial to vf-1 so there is that).  very happy so far.  shout out to @sumyumgoy for hooking me up after i missed the initial PO!  thanks man!

**CROSS POST**

So with this being my first go at higher-ended Macross stuff, I didn't know that this was the first DX Chogokin that was 1/48 until I asked a friend before snapping up the VF-19 Advance last night. Is this a one off or the svale going forward? It's unfortunate that I need to hold off on some really nice looking valks bc of this.

8 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

**CROSS POST**

So with this being my first go at higher-ended Macross stuff, I didn't know that this was the first DX Chogokin that was 1/48 until I asked a friend before snapping up the VF-19 Advance last night. Is this a one off or the svale going forward? It's unfortunate that I need to hold off on some really nice looking valks bc of this.

The VF-1 is smaller than most of the other valkyries in the Macross universe (at full scale).  Because of this, companies can make a 1/48 VF-1 that doesn't feel "too big," that is roughly the same size as a lot of other valkyries at 1/60 scale.  Most of the other valks are done in 1/60 scale (or 1/100ish if they go smaller), with 1/48 being "too big."  

To answer your question, there will almost definitely be more 1/48 VF-1s.  But it is very unlikely someone will make something larger than 1/60 for any other valkyrie type.

(There are some exceptions to this, like the VF-11 isn't that much bigger than a VF-1, and could probably work in 1/48.  But it generally isn't popular enough to get the 1/48 treatment.)

Edited by HardlyNever

Just opened my DX VF-1J

No time to mess with it but spot checked and looks all good to me. No cracks, nosecone, wing and leg flaps all tight (Leg flaps move easily but not floppy at all). I think the only thing left to check is the waist connection and wing folding evenly. I'm not worried about it and all looks good to me. Lovely Valk!

56 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

The VF-1 is smaller than most of the other valkyries in the Macross universe (at full scale).  Because of this, companies can make a 1/48 VF-1 that doesn't feel "too big," that is roughly the same size as a lot of other valkyries at 1/60 scale.  Most of the other valks are done in 1/60 scale (or 1/100ish if they go smaller), with 1/48 being "too big."  

To answer your question, there will almost definitely be more 1/48 VF-1s.  But it is very unlikely someone will make something larger than 1/60 for any other valkyrie type.

(There are some exceptions to this, like the VF-11 isn't that much bigger than a VF-1, and could probably work in 1/48.  But it generally isn't popular enough to get the 1/48 treatment.)

Thank you for seriously posting this in such a concise matter that a newbie like myself would understand it clearly. Looks like I'll be getting the Advance.

10 minutes ago, Kuma Style said:

Thank you for seriously posting this in such a concise matter that a newbie like myself would understand it clearly. Looks like I'll be getting the Advance.

No problem.  Do note, there ARE 1/60 VF-1s out there.  Arcadia currently makes the best 1/60 VF-1s (using a Yamato design).  So if you are looking to collect in 1/60, there are 1/60 VF-1s out there.

But the DX 1/48 seems to have taken the crown of the "best VF-1 ever," at least for now.

1 hour ago, Kuma Style said:

You won't regret that Advance, it's a beautiful bird.  I think my only recommendations for it would be to take the transformation slowly, since it's a quantum leap in complexity compared with the VF-1, and to act quickly if you want to acquire any sort of official under-wing weaponry for it, since sources for those are few and far between.

If you want everything and the kitchen sink for add-ons, it might be worth tracking down the Macross Plus YF-19 version as well, since it comes with a boatload of extra missiles and weaponry to add.  It's very much up to you and your interests though, because digging into the various lines of Macross merchandise can get complicated and expensive very quickly.

I don't expect Bandai to overwhelm the 1/60 market with 1/48 releases, but I do expect them to release at least a few.  It would take a significant effort to produce a line as extensive as Yamato/Arcadia though, since the current 1/60 VF-1 mold has been in near-constant production for over a decade now.

2 minutes ago, spacemanoeuvres said:

Congrats! I only tried out the included stands in fighter mode and she’s a beaut :)

I will get around to opening another one for battroid at some point. 

Thank you, just a couple more minutes and I'll be home :lol: