Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

38 minutes ago, MikeRoz said:

I clicked this minutes after you responded, and it was only available from third party sellers. This is still the case. 

Is N-Y selling the first press edition?

The only version in existence right now is the first edition with the flight stand for fighter mode. Good luck. 

1 hour ago, MikeRoz said:

I clicked this minutes after you responded, and it was only available from third party sellers. This is still the case. 

Is N-Y selling the first press edition?

The ones you see from amazon,jp are all from 3rd party sellers now.  Because if it's from Amazon directly they will be at msrp.

The one from the link before was a 3rd party seller, But as long as they are Fullfilled by Amazon, and seller allows it to ship internationally, then AMAZON,jp will ship it , if you buy it.

You can keep checking the Amazon.jp and see when more 3rd party selllers that's fullfil by amazon post theirs up that allows international shipping. 

2 hours ago, nismoflip said:

Just to make sure I’m not doing something wrong, none of the DX VF-1Js on Amazon japan can be shipped to USA, correct?  Every time I try to check out, I get a message saying that the purchase cannot be shipped to the USA.  Kind of weird because I set the filter to international shipping eligible items and a handful of DX valks populate. But when I get to the shipping screen, I get the error.

currently there's none at amazon.jp that will ship internationally.  you just got to wait for a seller to post it up that allows international shipping and is also fullfilled by amazon.   

4 minutes ago, F360 said:

currently there's none at amazon.jp that will ship internationally.  you just got to wait for a seller to post it up that allows international shipping and is also fullfilled by amazon.   

I just bought one from the link I posted last night and it shipped to the US no problem.

Edit: Ok  just checked the link and its a different seller that does not ship to the US. Looks like the seller I got went out of stock and it cycled to another shop that doesn't

Edited by Mechinyun

2 minutes ago, Mechinyun said:

I just bought one from the link I posted last night and it shipped to the US no problem.

maybe because you brought it?,, I don't see one right that allows international shipping when I search and add to cart .

That one of the oversized 3rd party Starscream molds?  Looks good alongside it. :D 

Picked up my pair from AmiAmi this morning (missed the mail truck by like 5 min yesterday because I went to the bank at the worst time).

Overall?  Beautiful, in all three modes.  It really pulls off the look well, and adds a lot of range to the flexibility we've seen up to now.

I'm not going to hammer too much on any points already brought up, but I'll basically summarize things by saying it looks better than it functions.  There are some great improvements over the old 1/48, and over the 1/60 v.2, but there are also some little changes that make it feel less stable, and less fun to handle in general.

Main nit-picky points -

1. The leg connection is useless.  The instant I disconnected the legs from the chest, the bar fell out, and I was holding the legs in one hand, and the rest of the valk in the other.  If you don't care about perfect transformation, that's fine I guess?  But I don't know if a waist swivel is worth that lack of sturdiness.

2. The leg fin hinges are kinda worthless.  I'd honestly prefer solid fins that I could remove for the GBP armor.  This really isn't a strike against the valk itself so much as a "wtf Bandai?" moment.  It's the same problem with the tails and canards on the YF-19, but those have the benefit of being on the top of the valk, rather than underneath, so you don't knock them out of alignment every time you pick it up.

3. I'd trade the slight outward angle on the gear in an instant to have them painted, and work more like the Yamato design.  I've never liked the sliding tab-mounted gear doors, because they're more annoying to open, and even less realistic, because real aircraft landing gear use the same sort of offset hinge mounts that Yamato used to use.  These are probably the most annoying to open I've seen yet, and the nose gear gets a special dishonorable mention for not attaching the front door to the strut, and generally being miserable to pry open.

4. I'm personally not a fan of the hand design being a weird cross between the mechanical DYRL style and the round fingered TV style, but I'll just use the fixed posed ones.

Bottom line though?  This is an amazing step up, between the shape, proportions, and added range to the joints, as well as the massive pile of tampo all over it.  Functionally, it's basically the same as the Yamato 1/48?  Does just about all of the same things, and has some of the same little niggling issues (floppy flaps, speedbrake falls open constantly, that kind of thing).  It just does a very good job of bringing the design into this decade. ^_^ 

Also, on the subject of pilot scale... I don't know what to call this.

pilotcompare.jpg.411f414d3591aad80c0f278286851a4c.jpg

Left to right:  That's the 1/60 VF-0D Shin, a v.2 VF-1, Arcadia 1/60 Isamu, Bandai DX Isamu, 1/72 Wave VF-4, 1/72 Bandai X-Wing, "1/72" Bandai A-Wing, "1/48" Hikaru, along with what I believe is a Hasegawa 1/48 F-14 pilot, Bandai 1/48 X-Wing pilot, and a Monogram 1/48 F-106 figure.  Couldn't get to my 1/48 Yamato, or the 1/48 Hasegawa VF-1 pilots at the moment.

Yeah, it's basically a pilot with 1/72 girth, and 1/60 height.  I just don't think anyone has a standard size for pilot at all. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

51 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Main nit-picky points -

1. The leg connection is useless.  The instant I disconnected the legs from the chest, the bar fell out, and I was holding the legs in one hand, and the rest of the valk in the other.  If you don't care about perfect transformation, that's fine I guess?  But I don't know if a waist swivel is worth that lack of sturdiness.

I see the leg connection as a good and bad thing. I've been just removing the legs for transformation, to avoid stress on the swing bar hinges since the legs are so heavy. It does allow for the waist articulation, but if you don't use that feature, I'd just tape or glue it closed and be done with it.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

That one of the oversized 3rd party Starscream molds?  Looks good alongside it. :D 

Yes, it's the Robot Hero OS Starscream (about 1/45 scale). They are a bit more matched in size in robot mode. If Starscream were closer to 1/48, they'd see eye-to-eye.

iIh3Mt.jpg

uic2bt.jpg

8qnAMg.jpg

Edited by ghostryder

3 hours ago, NeoMatter said:

Well, I reversed the fighter holder on the exclusive stand to get the following results:

I guess it's a another nice display option if you don't mind displaying the stand backwards for this. :)

Remove the arm from the base and turn it around.

The arm wont go in all the way back into the base, but at least you have the lettering pointed the same direction.

4 minutes ago, seti88 said:

Remove the arm from the base and turn it around.

The arm wont go in all the way back into the base, but at least you have the lettering pointed the same direction.

Won't work as it will be too back heavy and tip the base over. It is not stable. I've tried it before shooting the poses I've posted. :p

1 hour ago, ghostryder said:

Yes, it's the Robot Hero OS Starscream (about 1/45 scale). They are a bit more matched in size in robot mode. If Starscream were closer to 1/48, they'd see eye-to-eye.

8qnAMg.jpg

This is a great comparison with the 1/48 DX 1J and the KO Oversized Screamer!

If Chris Latta was still alive, he would like to see this. Screamer's smirk is giving the looks to Hikaru: "Are you trying to unsurp me of my position"? :lol:

2 hours ago, ghostryder said:

Aye, I thought that mold looked familiar.  Rock solid OS mold too, I have the Greenscream version because I actually love the pseudo-military scheme. :)

58 minutes ago, borgified said:

This is a great comparison with the 1/48 DX 1J and the KO Oversized Screamer!

If Chris Latta was still alive, he would like to see this. Screamer's smirk is giving the looks to Hikaru: "Are you trying to unsurp me of my position"? :lol:

Those OS Robot Hero figures are really nice. I picked up all three original seekers for my son. The quality and price are very good and match perfectly. I never realized they scaled so well.

Edited by nightmareB4macross

Mine came today and I got to play around with it for a bit.  It's a really nice toy.  Just like others have said, it's basically a 1/60 V2 Yamato at 1/48 scale with some Bandia flair.

I'm really interested to see what they do with this line and I'm a bit worried for Arcadia.  If Bandia starts pumping out other variations with super strike parts and so on, I'm not sure Arcadia will be able to compete with what is their bread and butter VF-1 toy.

If you're transforming your toy from Gerwalk to Battroid and the legs fall off immediately, there's a very good chance that you didn't notice the housing disconnecting when you were transforming the toy last time from battroid to GERWALK (or fighter). Moving the hips (since they're so tight) twists the rod which often pops the housing off. As you connect the hips to their internal connectors, there's often a twist that happens that's just enough to open the housing. Then, the moment you go back the other way, the first thing the legs will do is fall off. If they don't fall off immediately because you're being careful, they will fall off very soon unless your next step is to investigate the housing and close it back up. 

Honestly, I would rather there be a screw/lock to the swing bar and the included tool  just be a plastic flat head screwdriver. Then we could twist it and lock it on and only open it by twisting it free. 

I'm really surprised there hasn't been word yet about another release in the line. Is Bandai really only going to give us a couple DX VF-1 a year? I miss the crazy release schedule a smaller, Macross dedicated, company can provide. Yamato was giving us one, sometimes TWO, a month!

50 minutes ago, Gwynne said:

I'm really interested to see what they do with this line and I'm a bit worried for Arcadia.  If Bandia starts pumping out other variations with super strike parts and so on, I'm not sure Arcadia will be able to compete with what is their bread and butter VF-1 toy.

Arcadia is focusing on the upcoming SV-51 Ivanoff and the release of the Yamato valk stand (with a storage compartment at the base). So they have the Zero license for now.

23 minutes ago, jenius said:

I'm really surprised there hasn't been word yet about another release in the line. Is Bandai really only going to give us a couple DX VF-1 a year? I miss the crazy release schedule a smaller, Macross dedicated, company can provide. Yamato was giving us one, sometimes TWO, a month!

1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai is also giving us HMR and Delta releases. The rest of their factories are for more profitable franchises. ;)

Wish we really could go back to the good old Yamato days, with their numerous releases (and prices).

You know that Bandai has the upcoming HMR VF-1D (to be released in March), DX missile set, Chuck's 31e, Arnoured/Super parts for Arad with new S.H. Figuarts  and Monsterarts kaijus and other release that Bandai has the license for..

That is a wack of stuff to be pushing out for the company itself and Bandai has literally thrown a wrench in Arcadia's plan for now. As for the hypotheical question, who has the licence to finish off the VF-1 valks that we wanted really want in either 1/60 or 1/48 scale [IE: Elintseeker, Super O, Virgin Road, Kaizaki, etc..].

Both companies know that there is the demand, however there's a lot at stake. One wrong move and then, we all know what happens next. :unknw:    

I literally keep a schedule of upcoming releases.... still, the next most likely release month is June.... more than six months after this December launch. This may be a real slow burn for people who didn't hop on board right away.

I don't think there are any licensing issues. Bandai's DX being in a different scale should mean they can do what they want.  What Arcadia can do might still be a question, maybe they'll keep plugging, maybe they'll let their rights lapse and move onto other stuff.

I would think that Arcadia might be able to keep cashing in on periodic rereleases of previous mecha, with occasional forays into new mech just as they (plus Yamato) have always done. Demand still seems to be present whenever a 1/3000 Macross or 1/60 VF-4 release is made, and you'll always be able to sell Roy VF-1S's.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

I like to think that Bandai's gonna implement some necessary improvements and some retooling for the inevitable DX Roy-1S, and that will take some redesigning and mfg time.

In the meantime, the easiest and quickest way to milk this current DX-1J is by just releasing a Hikaru Brownie-1J recolor. 

It's canon, anyway...

hikaru-brownie-1j.jpg.a600dc4633b65c5bd61bf9145d9ff9be.jpg

Since that we're talking about the DX VF-1J recolour variants, how is Bandai going brighten the colours up on the eventual DX M&M versions from the HMR VF-1J releases and not cause any paint to rub off upon transformation.

We all know that the other HMR valks are molded in the respected colours [Super O, Elintseeker, 1D, M&M, Messer's 1s (and maybe Kaizaki's 1a if they do get to it)]. Is there anymore that I missed out on? 

7 minutes ago, borgified said:

Since that we're talking about the DX VF-1J recolour variants, how is Bandai going brighten the colours up on the eventual DX M&M versions from the HMR VF-1J releases and not cause any paint to rub off upon transformation.

You seem to think that they've ever worried about paint rubbing.  Have you seen the Delta valks? :lol: 

Man. Just knowing there's going to be a lot of Recolors I think I might have to go no-doubles on these 1/48's, just like my old 1/48 collection a decade ago.

I think I'll stick to the TV versions only as DYRL valks are pretty boring for me now.

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Aye, I thought that mold looked familiar.  Rock solid OS mold too, I have the Greenscream version because I actually love the pseudo-military scheme. :)

Never knew about the OS MP seekers. I just got the Green one from Show-Z for $66 shipped! Love the size and the improvements they made to the mold. I bought the Yes model, most thought it is the best of the KO’s) KO standard size MP Starscream a few months ago as I wanted an updated MP-11 mold and it doesn’t stay together very well. But this Oversized version looks AWESOME! Just saw that TF-direct has weapon upgrade sets to for these OS seekers to give them a more F-15-esq look.

sorry for the OT post.

Chris

Edited by Dobber

3 hours ago, borgified said:

I don’t think that Bandai is going to worry about Max and Milia colors being bright white. Given their bent towards gray in HMR, I’d expect any eventual DX versions to use the same light gray as the DX Hikaru.

Hmm all this talk abt color, I really wouldn’t mind an angel birds scheme in 1:48 DX...but I know that would be some time before that is even feasible...bandai gotta cycle through the fan favourite valks first right..

Now the difficult thing is waiting for the next 1/48 DX..

Edited by seti88

I'll probably quit after Focker's 1S as far as VF-1s go. They're nice but too big and out of place among my 1/60s. TBH I only bought Hikaru and Roy from the Yamato 1/48 line, so I guess that's my limit for that scale.

I'd rather Bandai knock my socks off with a 1/48 VF-25. I recall they teased one years ago. I still want it!

1/48 VF-25 will do more than knock socks off, the wallet too would be blasted to oblivion...esp with a corresponding armor pack!

But I cant imagine myself collecting too many 1/48's either. As it is with collecting, sometimes you end up with more than you originally planned for.
Hope that bandai does do vermillion squadron though. I will cross the bridge of evaluating my purchasing decisions ie budget along the way.