Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

If you notice in my illustration or avatar, those three vertical "holes" on the chest, are apparently used as thrusters during the DYRL Max & miria's dogfight. Except, somehow they look circular on the film. 

Edited by vlenhoff

6 hours ago, borgified said:

Have you tried here??

Thanks, I'll take a look!

3 hours ago, ArchieNov said:

I wonder if I'm just really lucky with my 2 copies, or if there's something being missed by those with the arm tabbing issue in fighter mode. Both of mine tab in very securely with no signs of it trying to dislodge itself. They don't need the gunpod or legs to help keep them in place, and they're both aligned with each other and no need for offsetting.

Yeah, my example doesn't have any issues with arms tabbing either.  I think someone posted earlier to only slide the arms back enough to align the backplate tabs with the arms holes (don't lock the shoulder hinges into the detent), and everything should generally be fine.  It's not a click lock, but holds well once the legs are tabbed in place. 

Edited by ghostryder

Got mine in, largely satisfied. However, has anyone taken apart the intake? On 1 leg, the section of the leg that plugs into the intake(the part with the drawer joint; the hinge itself is not loose), is looser than the other. For example it has a bit of wiggle room whereas the other is solid/tight.

I've unscrewed the top plate above the intake(3 screws) and that only gives you access to the ball joint and it's housing. There is another layer of parts and beneath that is where the drawer joint is secured. I'm not sure if there's a screw missing, misaligned peg or what. I don't know how to take this bottom layer apart. It's the lower half of the housing for the hip ball joint.

I do recall reading about this before but I forgot where and I don't think it's widespread. It's not a huge bother but I'm curious as to what caused this and how to fix this. The drawer joint itself, the actual hinge is not loose, just the section where it plugs into the intake. 

Playing with this guy almost every day.  He's definitely not a shelf warmer.  Just proof to me that he's still the GOAT, so far.

But my wish list for the 1/35's are:

1. integrated intake covers
  2. integrated side covers between the back and chest.  The one on the DX 1/48 is definitely unsightly!
  3. a locking mechanism for the neck
  4. tougher head lasers.  Mine feel just a tad on the fragile side on the DX 1/48.
  5. LED lights on the head, knees, wings and backpack
  6. a locking mechanism for the backpack
  7. detents on the wings and wing flaps (I have no problems with the wing flaps on my copy)
  8. tougher tail fins and a locking mechanism/detent for the tail fins
  9. shooting gunpods (with a robust spring!  Ah the 80's!  Bring them back!)
  10. mechanism that allows you to choose between symmetrical movement of the wings and head lasers (somebody mentioned this in a previous post)
  11. shooting gunpod (again, do we really need to worry about child safety laws for adult collectibles?  This was a charming addition to most 80's toys that I don't think makes it any less of a collectible)
  12. tougher leg fins with detents/locking mechanisms.

1 minute ago, easnoddy said:

While I love this toy, I can't believe Bandai is trying to charge $40 USD for 12 missile packs.  The Missles, TV hands, pilot and fast packs should all be in one package for around $100 USD. 

Agreed. I could have done without the unattractive hexagonal base. That alone is the space and plastic that could have been used more wisely to provide an array of armaments.

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

Great pic as always, @Saburo! :good: :wub: 

In this angle, the Gunpod doesn't look like it's too big. ^_^

To me it only looks too big when stowed underneath in fighter. Makes it look like a WW2 torpedo bomber.

1 hour ago, jenius said:

Family photo!

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-35.jpg

That's a stunning number of Hikarus!

So who here is going to buy every 1/48 DX should Bandai go full Yamato and release every TV and movie variant?

3 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

To me it only looks too big when stowed underneath in fighter. Makes it look like a WW2 torpedo bomber.

That's a stunning number of Hikarus!

So who here is going to buy every 1/48 DX should Bandai go full Yamato and release every TV and movie variant?

I promised myself I wouldn't....so inevitably yep, mostly likely me.

35 minutes ago, jenius said:

You can probably find the answer for that in here:

Everyone check it out, I finally got a video review up!

Very nice. Love the measurements and comparisons near the end. As nice as the 1/48 DX is, it really is just a scaled up Yamato 1/60 with a few improvements but also a few steps back. The only significant improvements for me are the change to a sliding arm mechanism instead of the rotating one and extra thigh joint. But there's nothing in this valk that Bandai couldn't have done at 1/60 scale. Probably some licensing shenanigans regarding that.

As for the pilot not staying put, it's nothing a touch of blue tack won't solve. :)

IMG_20190111_135515.thumb.jpg.ace503423282694126191727ac38a3ef.jpg

40 minutes ago, mcfly50 said:

My apologies if this was already posted and I missed it. Interesting though. 

That's cool and all, but I'd love to see someone pull off integrated side covers. Maybe some photo-etched metal parts would be thin enough to fit.

Edited by ghostryder

My dream valk would have the cockpit rotate in battroid mode so that the pilot does not stare at the ground.  Bandai's done it in 2 of the Perfect Grade Gundam kits.  and Arcadia did it with the VF-19 and YF-22.  Intake fans that weren't right up against the covers would nice as well.  A 1/35 perfect grade, fully transformable model kit with all the internal mechanical detail would be great.

vf-1j-internal.gif

How this becomes the fighter mode cockpit, I have no idea...

vf-1-battroidcockpit1.gif

27 minutes ago, mcfly50 said:

@jenius where did you get your turntable for your review? I’d love to find one to help display. 

It's garbage and I do not recommend it. It's made of super cheap plastic with like a silvery sticker on top and the platform the toy goes on is actually warped so it wobbles as it goes around. If you find a quality one, let me know!