Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

12 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

He was thinking skiers bending the knees?:nea: So it's not the birds, right? :spiteful::rolleyes:

Not for the first valk at least! Who knows after the vf-1, there might have been some influence from birds in flight! For example I always tot that the high speed fighter mode of the yf-19 resembles a dive bombing kingfisher or osprey...

11 minutes ago, tjdetweiler said:

Since its my favorite Valkyrie

box.jpg

Only four?

26 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey @seti88. Are you planning on painting the landing gear?

Am quite ok with the bare metal gears actually. I like the industrial look of it..^_^

but who knows I might consider it if more folks paint their gear and put it up for show...just a matter of taste...

oh yeah but what color would one be painting the gears on the DX? Since it is TV grey, white landing gears might seem out of place?

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

And of course the most important mode for any valkyrie toy. 

1254241352_DXVF-1J29.jpg.8b1d4fdee7c8786abcf1ccd44352a90a.jpg

Hikaru was so happy when the UN government finally allocated some funds for ejection seats.

Now that is how I wish Bandai would make them look.  Did you actually remove the landing gear to paint them, or just mask and spray them in place?

I will say that I'm a little disappointed that Bandai couldn't figure out how to attach the fast packs without cutting slots all over the lower legs though. :huh: 

3 hours ago, Roy Focker said:

I liked the right side up & down UNSPACY.   Sure it wasn't correct but it looked correct in Battroid.

I'm not sure if it's correct either way. I can't find a definitive answer to what is the official orientation. UN SPACY isn't shown on any of the official artwork. I assumed Hasegawa would be conclusive source, but even they do it different depending on the mode of their model kit. Readable orientation for Battroid and Gerwalk, and also for Fighter mode. :wacko:

image.thumb.png.6f92b9314c74fd40b4793a21b1b41830.pngimage.png.1dafeb8a9f6703dffd27435c2af0a373.png

46 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Now that is how I wish Bandai would make them look.  Did you actually remove the landing gear to paint them, or just mask and spray them in place?

You never know.

Bandai's prolly thinking of doing a similar thing.

They'll prolly tag it as "SP" edition ala their recent SOC GX-70SP...

:5:

I finally received my copy today all thanks to HLJ. 

Off the bat, this is one heavy piece of machinery. My first impression upon looking at it is that it looks amazing. The tampo printing is crisp and clear as are the paint apps. This really is an apples to oranges comparison to Yamato’s old 1/48. I wanted to do a comparison but the fit finish and feel is far different from even the 1/60 V.2. What more can I say to praise this magnificent rendering for what it is.

Sadly there are quite a few flaws that I too have received like others have already pointed out:

1. Arms that pop out during fighter mode. I tried to shift all the parts into place with care and ease but the darn right arm just keeps popping out. I thought it was misaligned but that wasn’t the case. Every time I put in place it just shoots the are away.

2. Plastic shreds coming from the right foot. Hopefully, this was a manufacturing oversight and the parts were not cleaned well or this could be the beginning of a larger issue to come. I guess I will deal with it if and when it happens. 

3. Detachable swingbar just comes apart at the slightest touch when transforming from F to G. I was already well aware that the swing bar comes apart I just didn’t expect it to do it on it’s own. In addition, the lower separated swingbar that is supposed to be attached to the legs does not lock well into the nosecone. When I move the legs the plastic attachment that is supposed to tab into the fuselage just pops out. This is one gimmick that was waisted on this toy.

4. Soft detents to lock the chest in place. The small grey parts on either side of the fuselage are just a bit small, inabeling the chest to lock properly using these tabs and the heatshield channels. Once you open the clavicle flaps it helps alleviate this minute issue.

5. Small amounts of paint found throughout. Black smudges here and there. It almost appears intentionally as if Bandai was printing these with similar mindness to eliminate counterfeiting. Right away this reminded me of the colored fibers in US currency. Good thing these are small and are really only noticeable when you zoom in with your camera. Really no big deal but just thought I would point out my discovery.

5. UNSPACY on gun. Ok, this is just negligent on Bandai’s part. Printing is completely wrong on both sides. Yet, the size and font is very attractive.

6. UNSPACY on the legs. Not sure what to think of this. One side of me likes the large bold print, but the other side is confused as to why it is printed over the recessed rectangle? It just looks weird. 

7. Fins on the legs. Won’t sit flush against the legs when folded. 

8. Wing flaps. No issues.

9. Nosecone. Loose but fine. Given there is no real weight put into this I don’t need to worry.

Will this replace the 1/48? For now yes for some, but not for me. I just like the fact that this is fully tampoed and requires little to make look good on a shelf. 

My only real concerns about this figure are just a few:

1. Metal feet. These seem to be polished bare metal and slightly pitted already. Reminds me of MP-05 Megatron and the issues with his feet.

2. Ball joints in the feet. I wonder how long these will last. Even more so, how long they will last with GBP parts on them.

3. Hands. The pinky is my only concern. The connection is very small compared to the rest of the fingers.

Just wanted to share my findings. Overall it’s a good toy but only time will tell if it will be a great toy or a complete disaster. I hope for the former.

The fonts do look a bit huge, but I think they're proportionally the same as what Bandai used on the HMRs.  I'm mostly just relieved they got the nose striping correct on this one, instead of cutting it off prematurely like they did on the HMR release.

Far as the gunpod goes.. so, I know how to solve it, and it's really nothing even complicated, probably something that could be scratchbuilt.  We just need a gunpod where, instead of the handle just extending, when the butt of the rifle extends, it pulls out the back entirely and opens up, the barrel aft of the sight/strap mount rotates 180 degrees, and then the gun collapses down solidly again with the lettering reversed on both sides.

1 minute ago, Chronocidal said:

The fonts do look a bit huge, but I think they're proportionally the same as what Bandai used on the HMRs.  I'm mostly just relieved they got the nose striping correct on this one, instead of cutting it off prematurely like they did on the HMR release.

Far as the gunpod goes.. so, I know how to solve it, and it's really nothing even complicated, probably something that could be scratchbuilt.  We just need a gunpod where, instead of the handle just extending, when the butt of the rifle extends, it pulls out the back entirely and opens up, the barrel aft of the sight/strap mount rotates 180 degrees, and then the gun collapses down solidly again with the lettering reversed on both sides.

The solution is probable but seems highly impractical. It would be best if Bandai would have just printed the lettering accordingly. Hopefully this is remedied in future releases.

24 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I'm not sure if it's correct either way. I can't find a definitive answer to what is the official orientation. UN SPACY isn't shown on any of the official artwork. I assumed Hasegawa would be conclusive source, but even they do it different depending on the mode of their model kit. Readable orientation for Battroid and Gerwalk, and also for Fighter mode. :wacko:

image.thumb.png.6f92b9314c74fd40b4793a21b1b41830.pngimage.png.1dafeb8a9f6703dffd27435c2af0a373.png

Obviously the gun has an E-Ink display on each side, so it can change the orientation of the markings dependent on mode.

Realistically, I prefer when it's right-side up in fighter mode.

1 minute ago, nightmareB4macross said:

The solution is probable but seems highly impractical. It would be best if Bandai would have just printed the lettering accordingly. Hopefully this is remedied in future releases.

TWE Battroid/GERWALK gun coming up!

18 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I finally received my copy today all thanks to HLJ. 

Off the bat, this is one heavy piece of machinery. My first impression upon looking at it is that it looks amazing. The tampo printing is crisp and clear as are the paint apps. This really is an apples to oranges comparison to Yamato’s old 1/48. I wanted to do a comparison but the fit finish and feel is far different from even the 1/60 V.2. What more can I say to praise this magnificent rendering for what it is.

Sadly there are quite a few flaws that I too have received like others have already pointed out:

1. Arms that pop out during fighter mode. I tried to shift all the parts into place with care and ease but the darn right arm just keeps popping out. I thought it was misaligned but that wasn’t the case. Every time I put in place it just shoots the are away.

2. Plastic shreds coming from the right foot. Hopefully, this was a manufacturing oversight and the parts were not cleaned well or this could be the beginning of a larger issue to come. I guess I will deal with it if and when it happens. 

3. Detachable swingbar just comes apart at the slightest touch when transforming from F to G. I was already well aware that the swing bar comes apart I just didn’t expect it to do it on it’s own. In addition, the lower separated swingbar that is supposed to be attached to the legs does not lock well into the nosecone. When I move the legs the plastic attachment that is supposed to tab into the fuselage just pops out. This is one gimmick that was waisted on this toy.

4. Soft detents to lock the chest in place. The small grey parts on either side of the fuselage are just a bit small, inabeling the chest to lock properly using these tabs and the heatshield channels. Once you open the clavicle flaps it helps alleviate this minute issue.

5. Small amounts of paint found throughout. Black smudges here and there. It almost appears intentionally as if Bandai was printing these with similar mindness to eliminate counterfeiting. Right away this reminded me of the colored fibers in US currency. Good thing these are small and are really only noticeable when you zoom in with your camera. Really no big deal but just thought I would point out my discovery.

5. UNSPACY on gun. Ok, this is just negligent on Bandai’s part. Printing is completely wrong on both sides. Yet, the size and font is very attractive.

6. UNSPACY on the legs. Not sure what to think of this. One side of me likes the large bold print, but the other side is confused as to why it is printed over the recessed rectangle? It just looks weird. 

7. Fins on the legs. Won’t sit flush against the legs when folded. 

8. Wing flaps. No issues.

9. Nosecone. Loose but fine. Given there is no real weight put into this I don’t need to worry.

Will this replace the 1/48? For now yes for some, but not for me. I just like the fact that this is fully tampoed and requires little to make look good on a shelf. 

My only real concerns about this figure are just a few:

1. Metal feet. These seem to be polished bare metal and slightly pitted already. Reminds me of MP-05 Megatron and the issues with his feet.

2. Ball joints in the feet. I wonder how long these will last. Even more so, how long they will last with GBP parts on them.

3. Hands. The pinky is my only concern. The connection is very small compared to the rest of the fingers.

Just wanted to share my findings. Overall it’s a good toy but only time will tell if it will be a great toy or a complete disaster. I hope for the former.

great review, found myself agreeing with majority of these points. 

btw: there's 2x number 5.

What's the actual canon printing on the gunpod?  Or do we even have one?  I know the Yamato method was to print it in alternating directions so one side is always facing upwards in any mode, but is that ever shown in the animation?

You know.. assuming the animation showed any printing at all, that is. :lol:  I'm personally perfectly okay with leaving the gunpod blank, and even without the leg printing.  They just look too big and out of place to me most of the time, even if they're supposed to be there.

It's not even draw in the animation, so not sure if there is an official UN SPACY gun pod printing orientation. Master files?

52 minutes ago, nightmareB4macross said:

I was looking again at my 3rd one at work to check for any more defects besides the wing flap, and discovered more about the arms locking to the fighter chest tabs.

It's also related to the shoulders and how they are rotated on the ball joints. If they aren't in the correct position, then the pressure of the shoulder will exert enough force to push the arm of the chest tab. I tested this a few times and it worked after adjusting the shoulder positioning.

You need to pull the arm back on the rail so and then move the shoulder on the ball joint so that it wants to points upwards (against the bottom of the fighter). Straighten up the elbow and forearm, and then slide back until the tab lines up with the socket. Now when you press the arm into the tab it will lock in tight.

1 minute ago, eggy99 said:

It's not even draw in the animation, so not sure if there is an official UN SPACY gun pod printing orientation. Master files?

I was looking again at my 3rd one at work to check for any more defects besides the wing flap, and discovered more about the arms locking to the fighter chest tabs.

It's also related to the shoulders and how they are rotated on the ball joints. If they aren't in the correct position, then the pressure of the shoulder will exert enough force to push the arm of the chest tab. I tested this a few times and it worked after adjusting the shoulder positioning.

You need to pull the arm back on the rail so and then move the shoulder on the ball joint so that it wants to points upwards (against the bottom of the fighter). Straighten up the elbow and forearm, and then slide back until the tab lines up with the socket. Now when you press the arm into the tab it will lock in tight.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I did try to reset the position. When I first pulled the Valkyrie from the tray it was already misaligned and the backpack looked askew. 

I massaged everything back to place and it seemed to work. Then I started to transform it and the arm just popped away. I tried putting it back in place but it just refused to stay. I checked the alignment and everything was level, yet no success to keep the right arm in place. 

Hopefully this doesn’t turn into a larger issue with Super or Strike parts attached.

34D29CF4-AB61-45DD-B90D-738EF87BDCBE.jpeg

89A0EF05-6F76-473B-B631-FF64C38C0F3A.jpeg

3F7862B7-5A3A-462A-BEFB-B1163EF658D9.jpeg

E8C246E2-0FA0-4C4A-9F80-1C9E988292F4.jpeg

CB84E90B-3498-486B-97FC-5DE270DCBFBC.jpeg

67BF6939-B699-4F41-8E26-7FB026385944.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

What's the actual canon printing on the gunpod?  Or do we even have one?  I know the Yamato method was to print it in alternating directions so one side is always facing upwards in any mode, but is that ever shown in the animation?

You know.. assuming the animation showed any printing at all, that is. :lol:  I'm personally perfectly okay with leaving the gunpod blank, and even without the leg printing.  They just look too big and out of place to me most of the time, even if they're supposed to be there.

while Eggy is discussing with nightmare how to wiggle the arms into position.

i found Zero's gun U. N. SPACY upside down

un spacy zero.png

22 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

2 more:

edit: added 1 more

hikaru 75png.png

hikaru 2 75png.png

gunpod.png

I referred to these two books for reference and couldn’t find a solid answer. Only the MPM has picture with the UNSPACY on both sides right side up on either cover of the book. The MVFDN has no information as all the fun pods are blank. I also referred to the M3 site and even there there is no reference indicating one side up for F and the other upside down to them be right side up for B. Hmm. Maybe Bandai is right?

1B3EC5A4-2801-4AAB-B7AA-40B9661DE412.jpeg

5DA431FD-FEAC-462E-AF23-9B7C81E3337D.jpeg

968C72DF-8ACA-4245-A3EE-4A8EC85B22A7.jpeg