Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

30 minutes ago, dragonstar1982 said:

5 mins and and a sanding file and i can now use my yamato 1/48 missiles. I guess its time to paint now.

154689147082964961045.jpg

Thanks for showing that this could be done!  I have yet to receive my DX but have plenty of spare missile sets from the Yamato 1/48 to try this trick on. 

4 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I have quite a few 1/48 yammies and arms were never a problem. What do you mean the arms sagged? 

Oh, do you mean in fighter mode? The arms wont sag as long as they are properly pegged between the legs. 

I also have the arms sagging problem, probably attributed to the weight of the gunpod and super parts armor.

5 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I have quite a few 1/48 yammies and arms were never a problem. What do you mean the arms sagged? 

Oh, do you mean in fighter mode? The arms wont sag as long as they are properly pegged between the legs. 

I mean in fighter mode, specifically with super parts attached.  The rounded stub pegs on the lower legs that were intended to hold the arms level in fighter mode on the old 1/48 were too shallow to be very effective, and without the backpack to hold the legs stable, the arms would slip off of those stubby pegs with very little force, and just hang with the gunpod aimed at the underside of the cockpit.

Edited by Chronocidal

9 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I mean in fighter mode, specifically with super parts attached.  The rounded stub pegs on the lower legs that were intended to hold the arms level in fighter mode on the old 1/48 were too shallow to be very effective, and without the backpack to hold the legs stable, the arms would slip off of those stubby pegs with very little force, and just hang with the gunpod aimed at the underside of the cockpit.

one of my arms is sagging on the chogokin. the other arm stays in place okay. i'm concerned and hope the arms with the super parts attached don't add extra weight and sag down with the super parts.   especially in Gerwalk with the legs down and the arms still tucked in as Max did over the water in DYRL and the Hikaru Misa tent scene. 

hopefully it won't be as bad as the yamato 1/48.

my other 2x 1j 's  are coming in today but i may keep them sealed. 

6 hours ago, treatment said:

As nice as this DX-1J is, I just hope it doesn't get loosey-goosey like some other Chogokins tend to get.

That said, I'm already a little annoyed with the arm-slots not really locking with the underside-tabs when in fighter-mode. 

Seems like the design makes it dependent on the legs being connected to the backpack to support the arms in place so that the arms don't sag down or dislodge by themselves.

i didn't see this post, yeah, that's my issue with only one arm on mine. the other arm seems to tab ok without feeling loose. 

ah i just refreshed and saw the post,  

13 minutes ago, jenius said:

I agree about pegs opposite gravity but if they were loose it'd be a very easy fix. I suspect with how little wiggle room there is in that area, any sagging would be minimal.

i hope so:unsure:

perhaps the superparts themselves will have something to keep the arms locked when the legs are not tabbed in

Edited by davidwhangchoi
formatting

2 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i didn't see this post, yeah, that's my issue with only one arm on mine. the other arm seems to tab ok without feeling loose. 

9 minutes ago, jenius said:

I agree about pegs opposite gravity but if they were loose it'd be a very easy fix. I suspect with how little wiggle room there is in that area, any sagging would be minimal.

I find attaching the gunpod helps remedy this.

@jenius you mentioned under new (improvements) Bandai brought the lowering head in fighter/gerwalk. This already existed with the 1/60 VF-1 v2, so not new? Unless you meant a direct comparison between 1/48 and not v2? Sorry wasn't sure what you were trying to convey.

38899430534_6b4536aa6c_k.jpgSkull Leader VF-1S PeekA Boo by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

5 minutes ago, NeoMatter said:

I find attaching the gunpod helps remedy this.

@jenius you mentioned under new (improvements) Bandai brought the lowering head in fighter/gerwalk. This already existed with the 1/60 VF-1 v2, so not new? Unless you meant a direct comparison between 1/48 and not v2? Sorry wasn't sure what you were trying to convey.

38899430534_6b4536aa6c_k.jpgSkull Leader VF-1S PeekA Boo by Vicki Lee, on Flickr

As I wrote it, I was comparing to the 1/48, but I should reference that the 1/60 V2 does have the ability. Thank you for pointing that out and I'll update the text to make that clear later tonight.

amiami came in 5 mins ago,  going to keep 'em boxed. i'll wait for roy and prob get 5x.  Roy's my favorite. 

i hope they do tv roy pilot and dyrl roy pilot and then low viz roy... then... low viz supers, and dyrl supers. and correct everything by then.

then have hikaru riding in roy's plane special edition with red tipped missiles and tv color super packs with tampos specific to roys.   

IMG_3863 med.JPG

IMG_3864 med.JPG

Edited by davidwhangchoi
resized pics

Mine came with some “battle damage” 

anyone know how to clean up? I’d dip some lighter fluid but I don’t want to damage the paint

first picture is some black smudge  and the second pic is the red dot on the backpack

0C31A8F3-670F-4D12-BC4F-71B0DCD37D0C.jpeg

B47344AF-F174-4FE9-8C43-42673BAA5683.jpeg

Edited by VF-Zer0S

2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Is is the same area where it attaches the Super Packs?

You guys think they will change that marking for future VF-1's that uses Super/Strike Packs?

they wont need to change the marking since they already marked with fastpacks too.

pic from spanner

20190107_155231.jpg.f82da7ddb2b931deb311916c261ee75f.thumb.jpg.ca8d35ac00652e7abc73227467bcc8ea.jpg

2 minutes ago, Saviant said:

I got mine from HLJ, love the thing, but I did notice some red marking on one of the arms near the hand, not sure if it is blood or left over paint, going to try some isopropyl alcohol and clean that area.

20 minutes ago, VF-Zer0S said:

Mine came with some “battle damage” 

anyone know how to clean up? I’d dip some lighter fluid but I don’t want to damage the paint

first picture is some black smudge  and the second pic is the red dot on the backpack

B47344AF-F174-4FE9-8C43-42673BAA5683.jpeg

yeah me too, i have some red and black marks like those on mine in addition to the scraped off UN SPACY leg tampo noel noticed. i didn't mention them as they weren't important to me. 

1 hour ago, davidwhangchoi said:

perhaps the superparts themselves will have something to keep the arms locked when the legs are not tabbed in

Technically speaking, they must have something to hold them up, because dropping the legs to mount the super parts will re-locate any tabs on the legs that support the arms.  If they follow the pattern of the Yamato 1/48, the arm packs should have a slot that the leg tabs can peg into to support them... or at least try to support them.  I'm lowering my expectations here ahead of time.

Yamato just solved the problem entirely ahead of time with the v.2 1/60 by having the arms lock into the underside of the backplate, and not require any connection to the legs at all.

I just love the feeling of watching Bandai go through a bunch of the same mistakes as Yamato's older releases.  Makes you wonder if they're even aware of all the VF-1s released in the past 10 years.  <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

36 minutes ago, jenius said:

I think you're ignoring a lot of improvements to find something that's not even a negative yet on the thought it may be a negative some day.

Entirely possible. :lol:  Though, I disagree with it not being a negative yet, since there are reports of those pegs not holding the arms well.

I'm mostly managing my expectations with regard to the super packs.  After a decade of rock-solid fighter modes with Yamato's design, it's just disappointing to see Bandai implement what looks like a distinctly inferior method of holding the arms in place.  

Edited by Chronocidal

The Yamato method might not have worked as well with the new way of getting the arms into position. The pegs are pretty substantial so if there is a looseness issue, the clear nail polish trick should work well. Hopefully if there are complaints on this release Bandai resolves it with all the other little fit issues popping up.

Need some clarity here from the community on Nippon Yasan.  They still have it listed as pre order rather than instock.  Does this mean they haven't received their inventory yet or is this a second batch already?  The reason I'm asking is: I paid the $7.00 extra fee on both of my copies and it still has not shipped.  I just checked the site and then saw that it is still listed as pre-order vs. add to cart.  I'm wondering if anyone has had a shipment notice from them?  

Edited by Ridden001

4 hours ago, jenius said:

I don't even know what you guys are talking about, the arms peg into place against the back plate.

I love the slide and lock mechanism on these! Much better than the YamArc v2 pull and swing design which could and would easily brake..

First Time I transformed this one I was enjoying sliding the arm bracket up and down! This is nice I thought!

55 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Need some clarity here from the community on Nippon Yasan.  They still have it listed as pre order rather than instock.  Does this mean they haven't received their inventory yet or is this a second batch already?  The reason I'm asking is: I paid the $7.00 extra fee on both of my copies and it still has not shipped.  I just checked the site and then saw that it is still listed as pre-order vs. add to cart.  I'm wondering if anyone has had a shipment notice from them?  

They're either just came back from vacation and are just backed up with stuff.

Or, they're just being totally lazy about your particular order.

Didya also preorder a VF-31A with them and yet to receive it still? 

:unknw:

58 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

for large orders ,Bandai will ship to stores in multiple shipments.  But they should have their first or 2nd shipment already .  

When did you pay the extra fee ?  

1 hour ago, Ridden001 said:

I thought they changed it to Preorder status so you could not use the 5% off promo on that item. LOL! Sneaky.

2 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I thought they changed it to Preorder status so you could not use the 5% off promo on that item. LOL! Sneaky.

Your right I totally forgot about it , yeah that’s probably the real reason .

by the way with this current 5%off sale they did their usual of increasing shipping price for some items . 

For those that have not received their yet and want to see the arm tabs, this is what we're working with:

image.png.10e05993d6cfe1bb64ffa6c074c2d955.png

The friction on these isn't amazing. There is no satisfying click. Any pressure pushing those arms out of position will give you droopy arms in Fighter mode on the DX. I managed to get the left arm on mine to stay put by adjusting the legs around a bit and reseating everything.

The legs attach just like the Yamarcadia 1/60.

image.png.55ae77b89e98e53e9890febc4b7198c5.png

Imagery sourced from this YT video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2HBHt8328

Regarding the FAST pack armor, we now only have 1 hole for the leg armor to attach to if it's the same implementation as Yamarcadia. The back pack armor situation is the same. It will be interesting to see how Bandai implement a secure connection.

1 hour ago, lexusoarer said:

Many thanks Sir...... I assume we can still use the sanded missiles to our Yamato 1/48 right? Since the peg is untouched CMIIW   :)

Actually no... Once you sand the clips down some they wont fit the yamato anymore because while the pig is fine the clips them selves have been sanded down and  thats what helps hold them on. Its a one shot deal but id rather have my dx loaded out than my yamato.

Finally, it is here. 

This is my first Valk and I have never transformed one before, so a bit nervous about it. It doesn't help that the tab and joints seem to be very stiff. 

I know it will get better once I start (more exp and joints will start to loosen up a bit), but still hesitant to start.

Will watch example video a few more time just to be sure I am doing every step correctly.

2 hours ago, dragonstar1982 said:

I sanded these edges, but if you sand too much they are going to be to lose

15469064642711842806481.jpg

Thanks for sharing and clarifying.

It is weird that the part that you sand away will cause it to not attach to the original yamato wing. Seems like the horizontal tab should be the one holding it in place rather than the vertical face. Anyway, I don't have the original yamato missile anyway, so I am more interested in 3d printing a pylon that will take Hasegawa's 1/48 missile set and attach them to the DX.

Can I trouble you with more photo from a few more angle so that I can use that to design my fusion 360 model? Thanks.

1 hour ago, eggy99 said:

For those that have not received their yet and want to see the arm tabs, this is what we're working with:

image.png.10e05993d6cfe1bb64ffa6c074c2d955.png

The friction on these isn't amazing. There is no satisfying click. Any pressure pushing those arms out of position will give you droopy arms in Fighter mode on the DX. I managed to get the left arm on mine to stay put by adjusting the legs around a bit and reseating everything.

The legs attach just like the Yamarcadia 1/60.

image.png.55ae77b89e98e53e9890febc4b7198c5.png

Imagery sourced from this YT video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m2HBHt8328

Regarding the FAST pack armor, we now only have 1 hole for the leg armor to attach to if it's the same implementation as Yamarcadia. The back pack armor situation is the same. It will be interesting to see how Bandai implement a secure connection.

Looking at eggy99's post, has anyone here tried to position the VF-1J like when the Super/Strike Packs are mounted by folding the leg and knee and folding the backpack to see how secure the leg is? On YamArcadia, the leg is still pegged to the backplate when the armor is attached to the leg. Is it also the same as Bandai's. Would the leg still be pegged on the backplate? And looking from behind, do you guys think that the booster packs somehow will have a bracket like YamArcadia that inserts under or in-between the backplate portion and the backpack when folded?

Thanks guys for checking on this. ;)