Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

6 hours ago, spanner said:

I'm going to double sided tape the pilot figure in place as it's bugging me too much when it constantly moves about..

Also, it's a tight fit having the gunpod strap fitted when it's in fighter mode. Surprised they didn't account for that a bit better. Unless I'm doing it wrong somehow?

And I'm loving the fully articulated fingers! LOL!

20190107_145909.jpg

20190107_145817.jpg

Ginger Beer!!! 

One of the things I miss the most about Australia. Too bad we don't get those in Chile. 

Awesome pics, btw

6 hours ago, jenius said:

Got my text review up... now to start working on the video review....

http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-17.jpg

Cool, I always enjoy your reviews. Your more recent photos on gray look really good.

Interesting that some of the articulation improvements were introduced to some degree on the Hi Metal R VF-1 (ankles, head, elbow).

Also: didn’t someone say earlier that it was just a matter of time before someone posted a middle finger shot with this new DX?

Edited by ScrambledValkyrie

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but this probably has the best fit among all of Bandai's valks to date. Gaps are very minimal.

And I must say that this thing is really beautiful. My love for the design had diminished over the years, but this DX has made me appreciate the VF-1 all over again.

1 hour ago, lexusoarer said:

Nice review Jenius I loved it....... but after I saw your picture carefully I wonder......... is it a crack on the left chest just above the upper air intake? 

It looks like some paint job flaws.

I've been out of valk collecting for quite some time (I've whittled down the collection to a 1/60 VF-1S Focker and a 1/48 VF-1A Low Vis). This one  looks too good to pass up, and frankly I haven't had a Vermilion VF-1J since my very first Joons 1/55 Chunky back int the day. 

54 minutes ago, ArchieNov said:

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but this probably has the best fit among all of Bandai's valks to date. Gaps are very minimal.

And I must say that this thing is really beautiful. My love for the design had diminished over the years, but this DX has made me appreciate the VF-1 all over again.

As nice as this DX-1J is, I just hope it doesn't get loosey-goosey like some other Chogokins tend to get.

That said, I'm already a little annoyed with the arm-slots not really locking with the underside-tabs when in fighter-mode. 

Seems like the design makes it dependent on the legs being connected to the backpack to support the arms in place so that the arms don't sag down or dislodge by themselves.

3 minutes ago, treatment said:

As nice as this DX-1J is, I just hope it doesn't get loosey-goosey like some other Chogokins tend to get.

That said, I'm already a little annoyed with the arm-slots not really locking with the underside-tabs when in fighter-mode. 

Seems like the design makes it dependent on the legs being connected to the backpack to support the arms in place so that the arms don't sag down or dislodge by themselves.

I have the issue with only the right arm not tabbing and wanting to pop off. The left arm though tabs fine without issue. I find attaching the gunpod under the arms keep it in place for the most part.

The ball hips have loosened a little bit on my copy after messing with it for a bit. Also got paint scuffs at the gerwalk joint. There's diecast exposed in the new swivel joint used to give the wider A stance. The gerwalk joints and ratchet knees are also not strong and tight. Depending on how much weight is being used to support, will be a floppy mess. There's also diecast in the head from what I could see when I accidentally popped off the head.

58 minutes ago, treatment said:

Both my arms tab in no problems on the underside, so I don't have that drooping issue.

I agree that there's a chance it may become loose over time. Hopefully tightening the screws at the hips will help fix that. But for the ankles, I don't see how that can be easily remedied.

Wow, eagle eyes guys! That actually is a hairline crack (coming up from the black on the lower left-side, your right) chest plate), I just investigated.... wonder if it happened from the transformation step where it gets pulled up?

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-22-4K.jpg

Picture and review updated! Thanks for the catch. If anyone else sees a similar crack, let me know. For now, I'll assume I'm just too manly.

Edited by jenius

13 minutes ago, jenius said:

Wow, eagle eyes guys! That actually is a hairline crack (coming up from the black on the lower left-side, your right) chest plate), I just investigated.... wonder if it happened from the transformation step where it gets pulled up?

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-22.jpg

Guess this picture will be moving to a different section of the review with a red circle when I update it!

take better care transforming these. they have fragile areas.

15 minutes ago, jenius said:

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-22-4K.jpg

[...] For now, I'll assume I'm just too manly.

This is the correct assumption.  All those years of transforming valks got you TOO SWOLE ;)

31 minutes ago, jenius said:

This is what I was initially pointing out when I gave my first impressions on the figure.  The leading edges of the wings and intake covers are extremely fragile, at least they appear that way to me.  Of course this is a necessary byproduct of creating something so beautifully and perfectly designed.  Those leading edges have to be thin to make them so sleek, but of course it impacts durability.  I'm not surprised, if still a little disappointed.  

This doesn't really impact my overall impression of the figure.  I still think it is the best currently out there, better by far than the 1/48 or 1/60 V2.  But it does point up my earlier comment that we are living in era of toy making where the pursuit of perfection, which entails extreme detail and preening (some would say overweening) design, necessarily means compromises in durability.

3 hours ago, CRYO said:

It looks like some paint job flaws.

There's also some pics by other members that shows some faded or chipped tampo prints.

2 hours ago, treatment said:

From the videos I've seen, I thought that arms pegged under the back area of the Battroid mode in Fighter mode for support and not with the help of the legs? Can anyone confirm this.

12 minutes ago, Saburo said:

Yamato 1/60 and Bandai 1/48th

46650023721_fe42a5fd10_h.jpg

Gorgeous as always, @Saburo! You're making my jaw drop.  :good: :shok: :wub:

9 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

This is what I was initially pointing out when I gave my first impressions on the figure.  The leading edges of the wings and intake covers are extremely fragile, at least they appear that way to me.  Of course this is a necessary byproduct of creating something so beautifully and perfectly designed.  Those leading edges have to be thin to make them so sleek, but of course it impacts durability.  I'm not surprised, if still a little disappointed.  

This doesn't really impact my overall impression of the figure.  I still think it is the best currently out there, better by far than the 1/48 or 1/60 V2.  But it does point up my earlier comment that we are living in era of toy making where the pursuit of perfection, which entails extreme detail and preening (some would say overweening) design, necessarily means compromises in durability.

It's the early adopter curse. Hopefully now that I've banged up my toy word will get out there to be a bit more gentle in that area and people won't follow in my footsteps. Anymoon.com saves valks lives! Maybe that's a bit dramatic...

OH HEY, evidence that I'm not the culprit!

Bandai-DX-VF-1J-Hikaru-10.jpg

The crack was there before i pulled the toy from the tray!

Edited by jenius

Just now, jenius said:

It's the early adopter curse. Hopefully now that I've banged up my toy word will get out there to be a bit more gentle in that area and people won't follow in my footsteps. Anymoon.com saves valks lives! Maybe that's a bit dramatic...

You never had to be this gentle with the Chunky Monkey's.  I know I'm harping here as a self-proclaimed "protector of the franchise," I guess you could call it that anyway.  But the reality is you never had to even consider that with the 1/55, and yet now, this many years later, we do.  Maybe as fans this is something we should come to expect out of our chogokins.  Durability that lasts.  Still have immense love for the DX, just sayin'.

5 minutes ago, MacrossMania said:

You never had to be this gentle with the Chunky Monkey's.  I know I'm harping here as a self-proclaimed "protector of the franchise," I guess you could call it that anyway.  But the reality is you never had to even consider that with the 1/55, and yet now, this many years later, we do.  Maybe as fans this is something we should come to expect out of our chogokins.  Durability that lasts.  Still have immense love for the DX, just sayin'.

Isn't that a false equivalency, though?  The original takatokus where designed to be daily play toys for kids.  I don't remember the recommended age for them (did they even have one?) but I can guarantee that they were thinking somewhere in the 7-10 y/o range (minimum) for those toys.

The modern toys are specifically marketed to adult collectors.  Most boxes have 14 or 15 as the recommended age, but the marketing and price shoots even older than that.

Of course I would like a little bit more durability (or just QC, as this is probably more of a QC issue than durability), but all things have a price.

I wonder if Arcadia would actually need a license or permission from BW to incorporate all of these "improvements" into their current mold.  Other than the "waist twist", none would seem particularly difficult to incorporate in the current 1/60 Arcadia, including the more lineart accurate rear landing gear positioning and swiveling front landing gear from the recent KO.

If Arcadia had went back and added all these "tweaks" I do not think we would be calling it a "V3". :rolleyes:

It would be something, though, if the KO makers went back to the drawing board and incorporated all these "improvements" into a 1/60 VF-1 KO V1.5? 

I have not followed the 1/60 KO VF-1 discussion that closely, but I think someone posted that the mold isn't exactly a 100% Arcadia copy.  Interesting possibilities.

And what are the odds of an upscaled DX-1J?  Maybe even a KO 1/35th?

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

I wonder if Arcadia would actually need a license or permission from BW to incorporate all of these "improvements" into their current mold.  Other than the "waist twist", none would seem particularly difficult to incorporate in the current 1/60 Arcadia, including the more lineart accurate rear landing gear positioning and swiveling front landing gear from the recent KO.

If Arcadia had went back and added all these "tweaks" I do not think we would be calling it a "V3". :rolleyes:

It would be something, though, if the KO makers went back to the drawing board and incorporated all these "improvements" into a 1/60 VF-1 KO V1.5? 

I have not followed the 1/60 KO VF-1 discussion that closely, but I think someone posted that the mold isn't exactly a 100% Arcadia copy.  Interesting possibilities.

And what are the odds of an upscaled DX-1J?  Maybe even a KO 1/35th?

i certainly would take a look at a bandai KO.  i'm waiting for KO missiles instead of getting mugged by bandai.  i say the odds of the missiles are high. 

6 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

i certainly would take a look at a bandai KO.  i'm waiting for KO missiles instead of getting mugged by bandai.  i say the odds of the missiles are high. 

yeah, funny how KO Macross seemed like it had died after the release of the SD Makurosu a few years back, but now has seemed to return.....the only bad part is it seems only direct copies of actual Vf's and accessories seem to be where the interest is at and not "original" KO stuff.....and by that I mean the release of say a VF-14 rather than a copy of a Yamato VF-1. 

The exception seems to be the OWL armors...but I am not really interested in KO's "inspired by Macross lineart" like the booster they have teased as a future release.

Finally got mine. It is definitely a beautiful figure and I’m happy to have it. It’s been awhile since I’ve handled a 1/48 so I forgot how big they are in person even though this one is a tad bigger than Yamato’s 

58 minutes ago, Ridden001 said:

Coolest Tampo on this thing for me: “GBP-1S attachment point” on the backpack

Is is the same area where it attaches the Super Packs?

You guys think they will change that marking for future VF-1's that uses Super/Strike Packs?

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Ok, if they couldn't get this to work, that's just all kinds of fail.  The original Yamato 1/48 had the exact same issue, and it caused the arms to sag really bad with super packs attached, since the backpack was folded up.

This was fixed on the 1/60 by putting a clip for the arms under the backplate.  If Bandai couldn't figure this out, they need to be slapped.

Apologies, I'm jumping the gun a bit remembering how badly the Yamato 1/48 arms sagged, and haven't received mine yet to try out.

That being said, I'm always wary of pegs meant to support weight directly opposed to their direction of insertion, and those peg holes look pretty tiny in pics, so I can't imagine they'd be as effective as the clip around the upper arms used on the v.2 1/60.  Given the too tight/too loose tendencies I've heard mentioned, it wouldn't surprise me much if mold variability made those pegs more or less useless to secure the arms.

Only time will tell how well the entire thing holds together once we get super packs involved.

Edited by Chronocidal

4 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Apologies, I'm jumping the gun a bit remembering how badly the Yamato 1/48 arms sagged, and haven't received mine yet to try out.

That being said, I'm always wary of pegs meant to support weight directly opposed to their direction of insertion, and those peg holes look pretty tiny in pics.  Given the too tight/too loose tendencies I've heard mentioned, it wouldn't surprise me much if mold variability made those pegs more or less useless to secure the arms.

Only time will tell how well the entire thing holds together once we get super packs involved.

I have quite a few 1/48 yammies and arms were never a problem. What do you mean the arms sagged? 

Oh, do you mean in fighter mode? The arms wont sag as long as they are properly pegged between the legs. 

Edited by vlenhoff
content.

Sucks that Jenius' copy had a crack in it upon arrival. Will definitely check mine when it shows up. Has to be said, outside the older releases now infamous shoulder issues, never had a Yamato V2 have a single structural issue ... even after all these years. 

My one Yamato 1:48 Roy had the saggy arms in fighter mode with the Supers attached as I remember. Sold it years ago.

Edited by derex3592