Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I figured I’d comment on this once I gave all three modes a work over.  I think it’s just physically too big for me to collect any more of them.  The 1/60’s take up enough space as it is and this thing is pushing VF-0 levels of size.

The HMR style shoulders are, imo, the only true improvement over the Yamcadia design.  Priest collar still exists, nose cone still sits low, wings still extend down really far.  Everything else is an oddity or downright frustrating.  The airbrake on the chest will not sit flush for me, the wing ailerons are finicky and get in the way of posing (and aren’t accurate), as does the loose hinged nose cone and the really loose lower leg flaps.  If you’re going to make the gunpod that ludicrously over sized at least integrate the shoulder strap.  Seriously, the gun pod looks stupid huge attached in fighter mode.  To be honest the entirety of the thing is too big and blocky in Fighter in my view.

It’s interesting, not bad, not the incredible improvement you would think.  Just a tad better in some spots but ultimately too big for me.  Also, it’s too heavy.  Those thigh swivel joints are loose and the extra weight of the Valk makes more dynamic poses in Gerwalk dangerous.  Same issue as on the VF-0 and the 25/27/29 series with super/armor/etc.

All Arcadia need to do is improve hip articulation, swap the knees/ankles to be like the VF-0 and change the shoulder transformation and theirs would be superior in pose and look.  Plus I like my Valks light, not heavy.

15 minutes ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

Hello fellow fans anyone else have issue with there figure. When I rotate the left leg hear a loud click and starts to spread this open. Any help would be great to fix. Dont see a way to get to this to see what is the matter.

20190101_102227.jpg

The click sounds like the mechanism inside is rotating when it should stay put and whatever is rotating it nside is forcing the plastic open.

14 minutes ago, Mommar said:

The click sounds like the mechanism inside is rotating when it should stay put and whatever is rotating it nside is forcing the plastic open.

wish could find a way to get in there to check. Screw holes at top wouldn't get me access to this area of leg

4 hours ago, canklebreaker said:

Pulled the trigger...first time using amazon JP, successfully checked out but not sure how to submit payment, can someone help this noob.

It’s the same as amazon in the USA .  You put in your credit card info along with your billing address .

2 hours ago, seti88 said:

Thanks for the confirmation, so it seems tucked in arms don't hinder the neck pop out the head in fighter mode.. :pardon:
If i remember correctly, the dogfight scenes in M0 had valk head turning in fighter mode, but not in SDFM/DYRL...If wrong do correct me MW'ers..

In DYRL M&M dogfight, the head did turn in fighter mode

2 hours ago, Sildani said:

Great toy. Solidly built, no paint misapps on my copy. Lower fins stay in place pretty well. The transparency of the canopy tabs bugged me, as did the translucence of the black canopy framing, so I grabbed a Sharpie and blacked out the inside of the framing as well as the tabs. Needs real paint, but I’m pleased with my two minute’s work. 

Interestingly, the main gear legs have little cut-outs in them to accommodate the hinges for the gear doors. It’s a nice touch. The gear legs also have the retraction struts attached, though the other end just floats. 

thanks for the review. looks like the lower fins may be better than the floppy dx 19 fins. i'll open mine soon to check myself.

1 hour ago, Mommar said:

I figured I’d comment on this once I gave all three modes a work over.  I think it’s just physically too big for me to collect any more of them.  The 1/60’s take up enough space as it is and this thing is pushing VF-0 levels of size.

The HMR style shoulders are, imo, the only true improvement over the Yamcadia design.  Priest collar still exists, nose cone still sits low, wings still extend down really far.  Everything else is an oddity or downright frustrating.  The airbrake on the chest will not sit flush for me, the wing ailerons are finicky and get in the way of posing (and aren’t accurate), as does the loose hinged nose cone and the really loose lower leg flaps.  If you’re going to make the gunpod that ludicrously over sized at least integrate the shoulder strap.  Seriously, the gun pod looks stupid huge attached in fighter mode.  To be honest the entirety of the thing is too big and blocky in Fighter in my view.

It’s interesting, not bad, not the incredible improvement you would think.  Just a tad better in some spots but ultimately too big for me.  Also, it’s too heavy.  Those thigh swivel joints are loose and the extra weight of the Valk makes more dynamic poses in Gerwalk dangerous.  Same issue as on the VF-0 and the 25/27/29 series with super/armor/etc.

All Arcadia need to do is improve hip articulation, swap the knees/ankles to be like the VF-0 and change the shoulder transformation and theirs would be superior in pose and look.  Plus I like my Valks light, not heavy.

Thanks Mommar,

just want to comment as i saw a dumb downvote for your impressions/opinion. 

I'd like to point out Mommar was the first one to negatively criticize Arcadia 19's ankles using ball joints vs. ratchet and ID's the problem as the ball joints were so small in size (corrected with the Vf-0) i recall "positive cheerleaders crowd" giving him flak for being so called "negative." Turns out he was right about those arcadia ball joint ankles.  

Not everyone will agree with everything, but in terms of joints and hinges. i'd take Mommar's opinion over majority of sunshine MWer's opinion any dayB)) 

1 hour ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

Hello fellow fans anyone else have issue with there figure. When I rotate the left leg hear a loud click and starts to spread this open. Any help would be great to fix. Dont see a way to get to this to see what is the matter.

20190101_102227.jpg

hmm i need to open mine up but i had split looking like that  on a yamato 1/60 VT-1 that i had to open up as there was excess glue that caused something similar inside.  i don't if it's a totally different issue and don't know if the Dx Bandai thigh can opened up easy like the yamato 1/60 with simple screw driver.  be careful and avoid forcing anything to avoid stretch marks.

10 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

thanks for the review. looks like the lower fins may be better than the floppy dx 19 fins. i'll open mine soon to check myself.

Thanks Mommar,

I'd like to point out Mommar was the first one to negatively criticize Arcadia 19's ankles using ball joints vs. ratchet and ID's the problem as the ball joints were so small in size (corrected with the Vf-0) i recall "positive cheerleaders crowd" giving him flak for being so called "negative." Turns out he was right about those arcadia ball joint ankles.  

Not everyone will agree with everything, but in terms of joints and hinges. i'd take Mommar's opinion over majority of sunshine MWer's opinion any dayB)) 

hmm i need to open mine up but i had split looking like that  on a yamato 1/60 VT-1 that i had to open up as there was excess glue that caused something similar inside.  i don't if it's a totally different issue and don't know if the Dx Bandai thigh can opened up easy like the yamato 1/60 with simple screw driver.  be careful and avoid forcing anything to avoid stretch 

thanks I usually hold the part closed while I rotate to desired spot. it does close after move to  new spot but always as a seem line showing unlike other side. any help if can find where could open to fix.

Edited by Tekkaman2k5

22 minutes ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

thanks I usually hold the part closed while I rotate to desired spot. it does close after move to  new spot but always as a seem line showing unlike other side. any help if can find where could open to fix.

ok i just opened mine up,

good news for you Tekkaman2k5! there is access to the thigh piece. you'll need to pop this cover off (rectangle shaped piece in the middle pictured) to expose the screw.

Be very careful to use a thin plastic tool. Do not use anything metal such as flat head screwdriver as it will leave a mark on your valk and dent the plastic.

ex:  tool set  from amazon that works if you can't find something in your home https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Precision-Screwdriver-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer/dp/B073TR8KCR/

the long black piece pictured in the link  or equivalent is what you need.  it's a plastic mini panel popper

IMG_3850.JPG

Edited by davidwhangchoi

21 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

ok i just opened mine up,

good news for you Tekkaman2k5! there is access to the thigh piece. you'll need to pop this cover off (rectangle shaped piece in the middle pictured) to expose the screw.

Be very careful to use a thin plastic tool. Do not use anything metal such as flat head screwdriver as it will leave a mark on your valk and dent the plastic.

ex:  tool set  from amazon that works if you can't find something in your home https://www.amazon.com/Vastar-Precision-Screwdriver-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer/dp/B073TR8KCR/

the long black piece pictured in the link  or equivalent is what you need.  it's a plastic mini panel popper

IMG_3850.JPG

I am confused is it that square panel that around the pin stripe indent going down the thigh?

Edited by Tekkaman2k5

3 hours ago, Matt Random said:

Which AT&T Store has these in stock? ^^^

LOL

2 hours ago, Mommar said:

I'm kinda with you on this. Aside from the shoulder mechanism and additional joints near the hip, everything else is just taken from Yamato's 1/60 line. I mean, there's only so many ways to transform a VF-1. Fighter looks good but it's definitely blockier looking than Yamato. The tampo printing looks nice but is borderline excessive. I do like the additional detail visible underneath the clear parts.

Battroid has an almost no-neck look because the head sits so low in relation to the tops of the chest plate.

I'm not getting rid of my 1/60s.

I'll definitely get Focker's 1S because if you're only to get one unit from the original series, it has to be that one. If Bandai releases additional VF-1s I'm not sure I'll get them because space is concern for me too. I might just go DWC and buy one of each to keep in box for all eternity. :rolleyes:

For those just starting out their collections, it's a fantastic piece to get.

55 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

*snip*

Don't let the forum trolls bother you. I actually find them amusingly pathetic. :lol:

25 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Nice pics and impressions from everyone, thanks!

Just wondering, did anyone else get one from Amazon with the box looking like this?

72D68A3D-8074-49E8-B4B2-4215F55A6EAB.thumb.jpeg.88afef36afa1e2a895a5184dde38bbf5.jpeg

Thankfully the box inside was pristine but damn!

Wow that's a USPS level of package mishandling! Glad the contents weren't damaged.

Edited by Lolicon

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

LOL

I'm kinda with you on this. Aside from the shoulder mechanism and additional joints near the hip, everything else is just taken from Yamato's 1/60 line. I mean, there's only so many ways to transform a VF-1. Fighter looks good but it's definitely blockier looking than Yamato. The tampo printing looks nice but is borderline excessive. I do like the additional detail visible underneath the clear parts.

Battroid has an almost no-neck look because the head sits so low in relation to the tops of the chest plate.

I'll definitely get Focker's 1S because if you're only to get one unit from the original series, it has to be that one. If Bandai releases additional VF-1s I'm not sure I'll get them because space is concern for me too. I might just go DWC and buy one of each to keep in box for all eternity. :rolleyes:

Don't let the forum trolls bother you. I actually find them amusingly pathetic. :lol:

Wow that's a USPS level of package mishandling! Glad the contents weren't damaged.

mine was shipped from Amazon as well but dhl delivered mine and came well packed.

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

It's why I'm loving MWF more and more. :lol: 

I am confused is it that square panel that around the pin stripe indent going down the thigh?

Yes sir. You have to remove that panel to expose the screw inside it. Just be careful of removing it so you won't scratch the plastic like David mentioned on his reply. Don't use flat head screwdriver. Good luck sir.

10 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Yes sir. You have to remove that panel to expose the screw inside it. Just be careful of removing it so you won't scratch the plastic like David mentioned on his reply. Don't use flat head screwdriver. Good luck sir.

will do I ordered part listed on Amazon link. when comes time to open I will be back haha. probably wouldn't even know what I am looking at or for, to fix it haha.

Edited by Tekkaman2k5

yeah, that's it. good luck whatever you decide to do.  

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

LOL

predictable, thankfully there's decent guys who contribute. you would think they'd be a bit smarter to realize it makes them look like idiots. but bc they think it's anonymous, they don't realize it.   

back to the valk,  i've been handling the DX and i agree with Mommar on the nose folding down. the 2.2 style crotch mechanism unlatches and droops down like the bandai vf-19 when i move the nose cone. i'm going to make sure not to touch it.  

one of my leg fins fell off while i was messing with it. Thankfully nothing broke or sheared off on the fin. i reattached it right back on. it's very loose as my bandai 19's fins now but i'm just not going to mess with it anymore. fins are not a study even with them recessed in. i can't rest it softly on my box as my 1/60s.

Y7rF2Z5.png

the wings have no points to tab in and keep it centered so friction is holding it.  pics below 

overall it has a lot of fragile parts that will loosen over time but it's still a cool valk. i like it. i'll need more time before comparing it to the 1/60's 

2 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Noel loves shenanigans :yahoo:

IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3843.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3849.JPG

13 minutes ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

will do I ordered part listed on Amazon link. when comes time to open I will be back haha. probably wouldn't even know what I am looking at or for, to fix it haha.

There may be some plastic flash inside the swivel articulation. You can use a hobby knife to carefully trim the excess plastic. I guess there will be a mushroom peg inside.

19 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

IMG_3840.JPG

Hahaha! :lol: Everyone needs some form of laughter, right? ^_^

By the way, can't help but notice it. Does your U.N.SPACY print came like that? The Y looks flaky.

17 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

thumbs up

Thank you sir! :good: ;) 

9 minutes ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

Guys are the best!!

As Genki Sudo puts it, we here at MWF, are all one. ^_^

genki-sudo_we-are-all-one.png.c1580a902c8a1b55bdb1f4b469243500.png

just be careful, the thigh cover will feel tight but will pop out.

when opening the thigh up, if it doesn't come apart easy, bandai may have used a dab of superglue to keep them held together,  use the tool to carefully run it along where halves of thigh meet and it will come apart w/o much force   

like Ignacio Ocamica suggested it may be excess in there and should be an easy fix. or may have to reseat the metal pin in there to sit flush against where it connects to the intakes.

25 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hahaha! :lol: Everyone needs some form of laughter, right? ^_^

By the way, can't help but notice it. Does your U.N.SPACY print came like that? The Y looks flaky.

Thank you sir! :good: ;) 

As Genki Sudo puts it, we here at MWF, are all one. ^_^

genki-sudo_we-are-all-one.png.c1580a902c8a1b55bdb1f4b469243500.png

Noel, that's a nice banner ,

yeah my tampo print came deteriorated out of the box on the "Y":wacko: @treatment jinxed me. i was bandai'd.

but didn't care too much... i was more concerned if i can handle it normally w/o essential parts loosening over time. 

27 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

just be careful, the thigh cover will feel tight but will pop out.

when opening the thigh up, if it doesn't come apart easy, bandai may have used a dab of superglue to keep them held together,  use the tool to carefully run it along where halves of thigh meet and it will come apart w/o much force   

like Ignacio Ocamica suggested it may be excess in there and should be an easy fix. or may have to reseat the metal pin in there to sit flush against where it connects to the intakes.

Noel, that's a nice banner ,

yeah my tampo print came deteriorated out of the box on the "Y":wacko: @treatment jinxed me. i was bandai'd.

but didn't care too much... i was more concerned if i can handle it normally w/o essential parts loosening over time. 

thanks again for tips....guess if have to remove glue going to need some to put back together? I have some cement glue for plastics. Bought when fix my 19 head laser.

tampo deteriorating?  , was your tampo not feeling too good?  :lol:  , j/k  

its ok, the fastpack armor will cover all that up in the future. ^_^

Hopefully DHL will attempt more deliveries on Wednesday.

Also for those that is saying your leg is detaching too easily, you have to remember that they are very heavy, so using your other hand to keep it from any dangling should help.

But if you feel you need to hold the clip shut. you can get some small heat shrink tubing, cut it to size and slide it up, reattach, then slide it down and over the clip , and give it a little heat. (dont burn your vf-1)     should you want to detach in the future, a small cut should break it free.

maybe using scotch tape will be safer 

Edited by F360

20 minutes ago, canklebreaker said:

So I put my old invalid debit card on my amazon JP order and it was declined so I updated with my current card. Do I need to do anything further or inform them or will they try to charge my new payment method?

If you updated the order, it ought to be fine. Between when I made my order and it was released I had to cancel that card, and had no issues after updating the payment method.

1 hour ago, F360 said:

But if you feel you need to hold the clip shut. you can get some small heat shrink tubing, cut it to size and slide it up, reattach, then slide it down and over the clip , and give it a little heat. (dont burn your vf-1)     should you want to detach in the future, a small cut should break it free.

Good idea. I was trying to come up with a way to lock the clip without resorting to glue.

20 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Just the other day a coworker was just telling me about how back when he was in the air force someone in his unit got his head caught in the air brake when it closed. Poor fellow didn't make it.

The Navy paints all interior surfaces of airbrakes bright red, so that when they're open, it's a sign to 'stay away, in case they rapidly close'.  The Air Force doesn't highlight them at all usually---they used to generally be white inside, now they're often the same color as the exterior.  (F-15 airbrakes are HUGE, and have separate struts just to hold them open when the plane is shut down).  F-16 airbrakes are much smaller, but I bet they could still cause serious injury if you were in the wrong place when they closed.    

8 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

In DYRL M&M dogfight, the head did turn in fighter mode

Thanks shizuka! Gotta revisit that scene agai!...If bandai does release the 1/48 M&M's Max it be cool to recreate that in a flying dio...then we will need a 1/48 Q-rau too!

vf-1-headlaser.jpg.0172373edab904f337a8cb5bca1629a5.jpg

5 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

one of my leg fins fell off while i was messing with it. Thankfully nothing broke or sheared off on the fin. i reattached it right back on. it's very loose as my bandai 19's fins now but i'm just not going to mess with it anymore. fins are not a study even with them recessed in. i can't rest it softly on my box as my 1/60s.

the wings have no points to tab in and keep it centered so friction is holding it.  pics below 

overall it has a lot of fragile parts that will loosen over time but it's still a cool valk. i like it. i'll need more time before comparing it to the 1/60's 

Nice close-ups! Certainly painted a better picture of the leg fins..i was wrapping my head around how jenius described to push the fins in... 

Bandai should relook at how they do hinges (and also pilot sizing for that matter). The VF-1 leg fins were certainly the last thing i expected to need careful adjustments..:o

Edited by seti88

3 hours ago, Tekkaman2k5 said:

thanks again for tips....guess if have to remove glue going to need some to put back together? I have some cement glue for plastics. Bought when fix my 19 head laser.

BTW tekkaman, this would be a nice addition into the macross maintenance thread, once resolved...

Edited by seti88

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Nice pics and impressions from everyone, thanks!

Just wondering, did anyone else get one from Amazon with the box looking like this?

72D68A3D-8074-49E8-B4B2-4215F55A6EAB.thumb.jpeg.88afef36afa1e2a895a5184dde38bbf5.jpeg

Thankfully the box inside was pristine but damn!

Thin box must have split at the seams....too close of a call! No filler's in the box too? 

Thats one thing you would NOT see from HLJ/Ami/CDJ...

Its a lovely thing to open a box packed carefully....makes you appreciate the purchase more...

Edited by seti88

Finished my first transformation to battroid mode. It seems pretty clear the legs were meant to stay on a lot better than they do. They give you a tool to pry the housing open. That tool is totally unnecessary as-is. I hope future variants tighten that up.  On the flip side, I wouldn't mind if they loosened up the hips a bit (but maybe that's why the intakes stay attached so firmly in GERWALK/fighter modes).  I think a lot of the complaints about parts getting jostled out of position stem from the fact that joints that are normally easy to move are really tight out of the box so people need to man-handle it a bit to get it in the pose they're going for (or to complete transformation). Once the joints loosen up a bit and people get more accustomed to the transformation many of the minor issues will resolve themselves.