Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Looking very crisp, can't wait to get this in my hands.

If there is any critique I have, then it would be

• No double jointed knees - wish toy companies would start implementing this as standard for VFs
  • Missing thigh swivel
  • The omission of cockpit rotation - would be cool to have something like an auto-flip when you "break" the planes spine for transformation

Anyone else a little concerned about build and plastic quality?

Compare a yamato/arcadia vf-1 to say, a dx vf-31.  I like the vf-31, I think it is a great toy with a great design, but it still feels a little wobbly and just slightly less... solid in terms of plastic and build quality compared to an arcadia vf-1.  

Every time I see these pics, it seems like it will have a "looser/weaker" feel in the hands.  I know this is one of the ways Bandai cuts costs (not bad plastic quality, but not the level that Arcadia uses).  I think these things matter, especially in the long term.

I still think it will be a great toy, I'm just not convinced it will be strictly better than the Arcadia/yamato vf-1 in every single catagory.

1 hour ago, HardlyNever said:

Compare a yamato/arcadia vf-1 to say, a dx vf-31.  I like the vf-31, I think it is a great toy with a great design, but it still feels a little wobbly and just slightly less... solid in terms of plastic and build quality compared to an arcadia vf-1.  

Every time I see these pics, it seems like it will have a "looser/weaker" feel in the hands.  I know this is one of the ways Bandai cuts costs (not bad plastic quality, but not the level that Arcadia uses).  I think these things matter, especially in the long term.

I still think it will be a great toy, I'm just not convinced it will be strictly better than the Arcadia/yamato vf-1 in every single catagory.

Agree about Arcadia Valks feeling better but I’m not concerned. No Valk made yet is even better than the OG 1/55 in every way. 

It looks beautiful !, this is a slap  Arcadia face Premium nonsense prices , not to mention I'm pretty sure this Valk will have much better quality and heft than those Arcadia ones, I have the the Arcadia Hikaru Ichijo VF 1S and each time I grab it it feels like I'm gonna break that damn thing (so light ), for this reason I stopped looking forward for any Arcadia VF1 valks definitely too much pricey for the questionable quality, it really grabs my attention how the Arcadia YF 19 Full set has a very nice heft and plastic quality  feel maybe because is a much bigger Fighter so who knows.

In the meantime can't wait to have this beautiful Fighter!

RIIjchz68PiFaCrILhrfb4OomYxiFEVeUGqQDyuh

2 hours ago, HardlyNever said:

I'm concerned but hopeful.

I got rid of my Yamato 1/48 because it was flimsy. Basically impossible to play with, everything wanted to fall off. The wing flaps broke, the hips got loose, the heat shield broke, the hands were like made of paper.

Bandai has a great reputation and I hope that they can improve on Yamato's work, particularly in the area of build quality. What I've seen so far has left me worried. For example, even in the promotional videos, the wing flaps pop out, the hip assembly still looks week, etc. So I'm playing a wait-and-see approach. I really want it to be good.

Basically I want a Soul of Chogokin level toy. And frankly, I'd feel a lot more optimistic about the new Bandai VF-1 if they were charging about $100 more for it. At the current price point, I'm doubtful they can achieve the level of quality that I want.

4 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Still baffled that with all that tampo they still didn't put the ejection triangle.  Like.. how do you do that?

It's a bandai trademark.

I'm happy they got the chest stripes right this time (width and angle).

If anything it shows how easy the DX VF-1 is to play with. You only need 1 hand. I don’t think I can transform my yamarcadia VF-1 toys with 1 hand. :p

I also love that it’s not bright white. Will make weathering it much easier. 

Edited by eggy99

Dunno how durable that plastic tab will be; the one that connects the back plate to the torso. Looks thin. 

But it’s confirmed beyond doubt that we have an integrated heat shield. We good now?

That looks pretty darn good to me!  Someone remind me again why they made the legs detachable?  (At the 1:39 mark)  Seems like that connection might get loose over time if you did it a lot and might be a problem down the road... Other than that, can't wait for 1st of the year!!! 

Edited by derex3592

17 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

That looks pretty darn good to me!  Someone remind me again why they made the legs detachable?  (At the 1:39 mark)  Seems like that connection might get loose over time if you did it a lot and might be a problem down the road... Other than that, can't wait for 1st of the year!!! 

So that you can have waist swivel?

Edited by Guyffon

On 12/15/2018 at 4:42 PM, Chronocidal said:

Still baffled that with all that tampo they still didn't put the ejection triangle.  Like.. how do you do that?

Yep, I was hoping I'd see a correction of that closer to the launch date.  Can't believe no one else has said anything to them.  Of all the other non-sense extra markings, they omit the one that is actually in the cartoon?!?

12 hours ago, derex3592 said:

like guyffon said, its to let the waist swivel. I wonder if i should be thinking how a vf-1j leg would look on a vf-1s battroid and vise-versa! :lol::lol:

or max's blue legs on any valk! blue jeans! :lol::shok: