Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

1 hour ago, valhary said:

with exception of the disconnection bar (legs/column) all the gimmick had already done in previous releases (Yamato 1/48) and the shoulders join looks dangerously fragile

There’s a bit more than that , Here’s a few

extra elbow joint 

extra hip joint 

posable  hands and fingers 

flipable upper chest cover (not on Yamato 1/48)

flight display stand 

normal dx display stand 

premium finish , no sticker required.

engine detail not cut in half when feet opens . 

Im sure there’s more . 

None of there’s were on the Yamato 1/48.

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

The Yamato 1/48 had that too, actually.  It was a shorter curved antenna that slid into the backpack.

pict_28.jpg

It even had a waist swivel, but it was much more limited in range.  The swingbar was hinged at the base to pivot back and forth with the nosecone.

Frankly speaking, what Bandai have developed is basically a v.2 1/48 VF-1.  All the same features as the original, in a newly refined design.

Agreed. Nonetheless it really does look good and seems to transform smoothly. My only concern, like others have said is the sliding shoulder plates.

I remember making custom shoulders for the Yamato 1/48, but they actually were made with a knuckle connector similar to the lineart, slid back and forth, and the shoulders telescoped to tuck into the backplate during frighten mode. I never went ahead and made the parts past the prototype stage but they worked really well. Who knows, one day I might decide to complete my 1/48 upgrades. 

17 minutes ago, Vi-RS said:

Nobody is complaining about the scale of the pilot yet?

asdf.jpg

If the pilot is close to the 1/60 pilot from Yamacadia, then I will just chalk it up to retconning and consider this a 1/60. Similar to what happened to the VF-11 when it was upsized to fit the 1/60 Mac Plus valkyries.

11 hours ago, treatment said:

Iirc, the genuine 1/55s were only available in Asia and Europe, but not in the US.

Not until the Yamato 1/60v1 came out that it actually proliferated and became somehow available and relatively affordable in the mall/comic shops here.  That was late 90's/early-2000's.  I still remember my astonishment of a Yammie 1/60v1 and a Bandai 1/55 1S-Roy/1J-Hikaru side-by-side in a display-window at the local mall.  Each for about $90.

Until the HG mall-gestapo shenanigans, that is...

The 1/55s and HCMs were available in my part of the US in the early and mid 80s.  They were sold through Japanese owned retailers for somewhere between $15 and $25.

22 hours ago, spanner said:

I have a good feeling this release. I'm sure it will be a good thing and do well for Bandai. I don't really have any doubts about its engineering as Bandai have done bloody well with their latest releases (VF-31 & YF-19) so I reckon their VF-1 will most certainly rock!

i hope so spanner,i ordered 3x i want them to be so good! but those wing flaps have me worried. 

^ We had Takatoku and Bandai Macross 1/55s (and OG Gakken Mospeada, and Takatoku Orguss toys) in some of the better toy stores here in SoCal back in the '80s too.

My very first valk was a knockoff Taka 1/100 VF-1J, one of the ones with the Sasuraiger gun.

Edited by Hiriyu

7 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Course that never stopped anyone from making that non-existent version. :p 

s-l300.jpg.6af75624be94ebb5f39d30f8dc8ec749.jpgy2EFUTL.jpg.dee79448915db92020e4cf75714a1677.jpgYamato-1-60-MACROSS-VF-1J-SUPER-VALKYRIE-Hikaru-Rick-_1.jpg.015b29ec1b02faf91b2d3972e2172f09.jpg

Can't really blame them, it's a good looking combo!

I've only got a single 1/48 Hikaru 1J with super packs, and I think it's always been my favorite design.

I admit though, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sliding/flipping shoulder design.  Might be more screen-accurate, but if that joint ever loses tension, the shoulders might become useless in gerwalk mode, because they'll just flop around.  The old Yamato pivoting design has had its share of problems, but it works in gravity's favor.

I'm hoping they limit this release to the TV variants, just so I can pick up the main six I mentioned earlier (Trio of 1Js, Roy, CF, and VF-1D), and call it a day. :lol: 

Ofcourse! I do agree about this. And I'm going to get Super Parts for it once Bandai announces it. Even though it's not 'official'. ^_^

20 hours ago, Graham said:

It really does look like Bandai's take on and refinement of the Yamato 1/48 with a bit of Yamcadia 1/60 V2 thrown into the mix.

But, yeah, hardly surprising. As mentioned, there are only so many ways to make a high-end, large-scale transforming toy of the VF-1.

Little disappointed that wing missiles have not been shown yet. Hope they will be included.

Not getting the VF-1J, don't want to start a VF-1 collection all over again. But I will get a  DYRL VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk, when/if they release it.

Thought the Bandai dude said that missiles are not gonna be included due to price-point or something?

3 hours ago, Vi-RS said:

Nobody is complaining about the scale of the pilot yet?

asdf.jpg

For now, I'm not gonna worried about it since this is just a prototype they're showing. And besides nobody reacted on the pilot figure when they saw this colored photo prior. ^_^

item_0000012634_cWlN9kC7_08.jpg.93544728b4b0dd469ae4f98d477f5057.jpg

Bandai just needs to paint their landing gears. ;)

59 minutes ago, treatment said:

Thought the Bandai dude said that missiles are not gonna be included due to price-point or something?

Based on the content description it's not mentioning any missiles so it's safe to assume that it will come with the Super/Strike Parts Option Set? Or with the GBP Option Set? We should get ready for any announcement for this. :rolleyes:

Edited by no3Ljm

1 hour ago, no3Ljm said:

item_0000012634_cWlN9kC7_08.jpg.93544728b4b0dd469ae4f98d477f5057.jpg

That pic shows what I noticed in the video the first time I watched it——there’s something off with the nosegear, because the launch bar (it’s not for towing) can’t angle upwards——-it hits the gear door if it goes past horizontal.  Either the bar attaches too high up, or the door is too big (I’m betting on the latter).   You only have to watch the original TV opening to clearly see the bar should angle upwards most of the time, never being horizontal and only being put down moments prior to launch.  (Just like a real carrier plane). 

I'll never understand people who display aircraft with their gear-out as standard....

if anyone really IS thrown-off by the gear let me know, and I'll relive you of your eye-sore! LOL:lol:

13 hours ago, treatment said:

They won't be included because Bandai wants you to shell out for their exclusive add-ons later on. :p 

Also, Bandai's landing gear always have, and probably always will suck.  The shapes have gotten slightly better, but they still can't be arsed to paint them white, despite, you know, an entire internet's worth of evidence that they should be.  It's like they just enjoy clinging to certain inaccuracies like they're some kind of trademark. :rolleyes: 

56 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

They won't be included because Bandai wants you to shell out for their exclusive add-ons later on. :p 

Also, Bandai's landing gear always have, and probably always will suck.  The shapes have gotten slightly better, but they still can't be arsed to paint them white, despite, you know, an entire internet's worth of evidence that they should be.  It's like they just enjoy clinging to certain inaccuracies like they're some kind of trademark. :rolleyes: 

maybe that really is an issue? If two companies make a version of the same product... what're the legalities on similarity/differences?

2 hours ago, slide said:

I'll never understand people who display aircraft with their gear-out as standard....

if anyone really IS thrown-off by the gear let me know, and I'll relive you of your eye-sore! LOL:lol:

Yeah? But we can still display it in Gerwalk mode. So no landing gear deployed. Besides VF-1 Gerwalk is a beaut. :p

1 hour ago, Chronocidal said:

...It's like they just enjoy clinging to certain inaccuracies like they're some kind of trademark. :rolleyes: 

Yes it is. It is a trademark thing. Look at Harmony Gold's VF-1 landing gears. They got it right because they have the trademark for it. :ph34r:

No worry about the tiny or fat pilot, or color scheme. This is a show version only , for transformation demo purpose.

The Bandai release, much cheaper than other 1/48 release, will make other compagnies think about thevery high prices asked for this toy, and maybe make them change their price policy.

Nope. You’re forgetting Bandai’s economies of scale, and the fact they undoubtedly own their own factory or two. 

Arcadia, Evolution Toys, etc. cannot match that economy, and so their products cost more. I’m not saying they don’t overcharge, but they can never be as cheap as Bandai can choose to be. 

12 minutes ago, Gojira101 said:

Wonder what the chances are of getting this for someone who missed the Preorder? or should I just wait for the inevitable Roy Focker repaint.

Like most of us here pointed out before that there might be another batch to be released down the horizon (or maybe after it gets released) without the included 'exclusive display stand' release. Try to wait it out or ask anyone here for extra that they don't need. Wouldn't hurt to ask. ;)

1 hour ago, anime52k8 said:

Shouldn't have watched the video, now I want one. I was so close to getting out of collecting too.:(

1 hour ago, spanner said:

I'm starting to regret only trying for a single pre order..

I hear both of you. Makurosu dilemma's .....

Regardless, i re-watch bandai's video's time to time...there is something soothing/and exciting about the music/sound cues to a macross fan...pavlov's dogs theory applies...