Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I have a good feeling this release. I'm sure it will be a good thing and do well for Bandai. I don't really have any doubts about its engineering as Bandai have done bloody well with their latest releases (VF-31 & YF-19) so I reckon their VF-1 will most certainly rock!

2 hours ago, borgified said:

I think that most of us got the 1/60 valks first and then got the 1/48 later on.

1/48 takes it to another level of valk experiences and feeling. If I had a choice, the 1/60 will be on the chopping block if I'm strapped for cash (minus few a few that I'll keep) as I'm not getting rid of my 1/48. :)

Agree about the Yamato 1/48s. They are still my favorite so far. But I love all my VF-1 Valks and wouldn’t get rid of any of them. 

I hope this DX becomes the best all time but even if not, nbd because I have tons of great Valks in different sizes. I just hope the DX pegs together as solidly as my Yamarcadias do in all modes. 

What I love about the Yamato 1/60 are the play-ability. I can comfortably transform them anytime without thinking of getting loose overtime. This is quite different with the diecast materials used by Bandai in their joints. But still, I am seeing a great product from Bandai.

3 hours ago, borgified said:

I think that most of us got the 1/60 valks first and then got the 1/48 later on.

1/48 takes it to another level of valk experiences and feeling. If I had a choice, the 1/60 will be on the chopping block if I'm strapped for cash (minus few a few that I'll keep) as I'm not getting rid of my 1/48. :)

Not me. Once I started with the 1/60, I've already read some negative stuff about the 1/48. And also, I don't have enough space for 1/48's. Have you seen how big the boxes are? :rolleyes: 

And IMHO, the 1/60 is such a great size for me since it sits very well with the rest of my figures. So getting this new 1/48 is like, getting something as a centerpiece. I'll try not to restart my VF-1 collection with these new scale if ever Bandai decides to do more. I'll just get Hikaru main rides in doubles. ;) 

Edited by no3Ljm

I'm definitely not wanting to start up another scale line but would be perfectly happy with a "one off" that I could mess about with.

Not that I wouldn't want to see what other variants they might make afterwards but that is a scary possibility.. mostly financially. 

It really does look like Bandai's take on and refinement of the Yamato 1/48 with a bit of Yamcadia 1/60 V2 thrown into the mix.

But, yeah, hardly surprising. As mentioned, there are only so many ways to make a high-end, large-scale transforming toy of the VF-1.

Little disappointed that wing missiles have not been shown yet. Hope they will be included.

Not getting the VF-1J, don't want to start a VF-1 collection all over again. But I will get a  DYRL VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valk, when/if they release it.

40 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Have you seen how big the boxes are? :rolleyes: 

I've got too many Yammie boxes (only one Arcadia) and they're taking too much closet space plus in addition with my Max Factory Mazinkaiser and other stuff as well... 

The Bandai DX boxes are half the size and a space saver (not to mention the add ons as well).

I'm just waiting for Roy's DYRL Strike valk to pair up with my Yammie Hikaru version that I have already. 

12 minutes ago, s_i_t_h_l_o_r_d said:

What if they did a 1/48 treatment for every Valkyrie under the sun? Will you then start?

Like what I mentioned above, I'll just get Hikaru's ride: VF-1J, Super VF-1A, and Strike VF-1S as a centerpiece.

4 hours ago, borgified said:

Hmm...  I would've thought most of us got the 1/55 Valks first, then got the 1/60, then got the 1/48, then got the 1/60 v.2, then got the HMRs later on.

But maybe most of us aren't as old as I am...  :unsure:

11 minutes ago, tekering said:

Hmm...  I would've thought most of us got the 1/55 Valks first, 1/100 VF, Joke Machines, 1/72 HCM, 1/72 Yammies, 1/60 V.1, then got the 1/48, then got the 1/60 v.2, then got the HMRs later on.

I’m with you on this.

47 minutes ago, tekering said:

Hmm...  I would've thought most of us got the 1/55 Valks first, then got the 1/60, then got the 1/48, then got the 1/60 v.2, then got the HMRs later on.

My gateway to Macross valks was in '85 when the G1 Jetfire was released (I was in 5th grade. Never got it; however, one of my family friends did and went to his house and played with it). Didn't know that it was actually based on Bandai licenced product as it had to be tweeked for export usage.

I started with the two 1/60 (v.1) and 1/55 [Re-issue Roy with the Supers not Hikaru as it originally states] when I was in YYZ (from '91 to 2012) and had to ask my cousin to sell off the two 1/60s for my move back into YVR. Once back in VYR, it started with the HMR, 1/60 (v.2) and then the two 1/48. 

You could say that my history with Macross valks is very sporadic.  

1 hour ago, tekering said:

That's me, except I didn't bother with the  HMRs, never liked them.

10 hours ago, borgified said:

Most of us prolly had Joons or some other korean/chinese bootlegs first before the 1/60v1. 

There were a few ones that usually have the severely-yellowed Hasbro Jetfire they were scalping at >$500+ or so.

5 hours ago, tekering said:

My first valk was the Takatoku 1/55 GBP-1 and VF-1S bundle.  Didn't buy another until the 2002 reissue, then got a 1/60 v.1 when I was working in Tokyo.  The 1/48 1S and Super Strike parts came in 2009.  Missed out on the 1/60 v.2 completely when they were abundant everywhere, some going for below MSRP.

9 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Agree about the Yamato 1/48s. They are still my favorite so far. But I love all my VF-1 Valks and wouldn’t get rid of any of them. 

I hope this DX becomes the best all time but even if not, nbd because I have tons of great Valks in different sizes. I just hope the DX pegs together as solidly as my Yamarcadias do in all modes. 

I can't wait for the GBP pack to go with the DX VF-1J... this will be fifth in my collection (1/55, 1/48, 1/60 v2, HM-R) :D:D

5 hours ago, tekering said:

I started with Jetfire when it first came out. Got it a KB Toys. For the modern stuff (2000 onwards), I've picked up at least one of most every valkyrie released starting with the very first Yamato Macross Plus stuff. Mostly out of an obsession with wanting to experience how each works. I'm very much looking forward to this one.

7 hours ago, tekering said:

Iirc, the genuine 1/55s were only available in Asia and Europe, but not in the US.

Not until the Yamato 1/60v1 came out that it actually proliferated and became somehow available and relatively affordable in the mall/comic shops here.  That was late 90's/early-2000's.  I still remember my astonishment of a Yammie 1/60v1 and a Bandai 1/55 1S-Roy/1J-Hikaru side-by-side in a display-window at the local mall.  Each for about $90.

Until the HG mall-gestapo shenanigans, that is...

I pre-ordered the VF-1J since the price was very reasonable considering what current Macross toys are going for and it will be a hot item. After watching the transformation video it looks really fun and something you can pose without worrying about fragile pieces. 

This is a great start to Bandai's 1/48 line and can't wait to see the VF-1S. 

I have several 1/48. I only ever sold my 1st 1A Hikaru, and i ended it up buying it back from the buyer. I may have at least 30 of them, and i have to say. I have NEVER had a floppy rudder like the one they show in the video. I hope Bandai fixes that, or maybe it is like that by design. I read some comments about this being an issue with Yamato? Do you guys mean the 1/60? I have never seen this before and i have all the scales.

I love the feature of the head unit deploying out in Gerwalk mode. This will be a great addition to my 1/48 collection! I have to agree with others. Bandai improved on Yamato's design and made it better, apparently. 

3 minutes ago, vlenhoff said:

I have several 1/48. I only ever sold my 1st 1A Hikaru, and i ended it up buying it back from the buyer. I may have at least 30 of them, and i have to say. I have NEVER had a floppy rudder like the one they show in the video. I hope Bandai fixes that, or maybe it is like that by design. I read some comments about this being an issue with Yamato? Do you guys mean the 1/60? I have never seen this before and i have all the scales.

I love the feature of the head unit deploying out in Gerwalk mode. This will be a great addition to my 1/48 collection! I have to agree with others. Bandai improved on Yamato's design and made it better, apparently. 

I don't have the rudder issue on any of my 1/48s either. The 1/60 does not have the feature at all.

20 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Because 'officially' the VF-1J didn't had the Super Pack in the series. :rolleyes:

Course that never stopped anyone from making that non-existent version. :p 

s-l300.jpg.6af75624be94ebb5f39d30f8dc8ec749.jpgy2EFUTL.jpg.dee79448915db92020e4cf75714a1677.jpgYamato-1-60-MACROSS-VF-1J-SUPER-VALKYRIE-Hikaru-Rick-_1.jpg.015b29ec1b02faf91b2d3972e2172f09.jpg

Can't really blame them, it's a good looking combo!

I've only got a single 1/48 Hikaru 1J with super packs, and I think it's always been my favorite design.

I admit though, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the sliding/flipping shoulder design.  Might be more screen-accurate, but if that joint ever loses tension, the shoulders might become useless in gerwalk mode, because they'll just flop around.  The old Yamato pivoting design has had its share of problems, but it works in gravity's favor.

I'm hoping they limit this release to the TV variants, just so I can pick up the main six I mentioned earlier (Trio of 1Js, Roy, CF, and VF-1D), and call it a day. :lol: 

Edited by Chronocidal

9 minutes ago, valhary said:

with exception of the disconnection bar (legs/column) all the gimmick had already done in previous releases (Yamato 1/48) and the shoulders join looks dangerously fragile

Including the radio antenna? :rolleyes:

The Yamato 1/48 had that too, actually.  It was a shorter curved antenna that slid into the backpack.

pict_28.jpg

It even had a waist swivel, but it was much more limited in range.  The swingbar was hinged at the base to pivot back and forth with the nosecone.

Frankly speaking, what Bandai have developed is basically a v.2 1/48 VF-1.  All the same features as the original, in a newly refined design.

Edited by Chronocidal