Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Wow, you guys rock! Ha, apparently [i need to confirm] 4 of my valks according to this list are safe. It seems my 1J Hikaru tv [my fav valk ever] is shoulder hinge challenged. This is a relief, but i must buy Shapeways' replacement hinges for it. I need to find the box where i stored them now.  

Jeeeez----looking at that list, I didn't realize --time flies!!! All the best Yamato Valks are allmost 10 years old now!!! Glad I bought in back then when they were MSRP or on sale as shelf warmers...couldn't imagine having to build a V2 collection nowadays. Wonder if Bandai figured 10 years was long enough to wait before they dropped the new "Daddy" of Valks on us! Which brings us neatly back on topic...^_^

7 minutes ago, derex3592 said:

Jeeeez----looking at that list, I didn't realize --time flies!!! All the best Yamato Valks are allmost 10 years old now!!! Glad I bought in back then when they were MSRP or on sale as shelf warmers...couldn't imagine having to build a V2 collection nowadays. Wonder if Bandai figured 10 years was long enough to wait before they dropped the new "Daddy" of Valks on us! Which brings us neatly back on topic...^_^

I'm personally not expecting Bandai to do a full and complete run of vf-1s in 1/48.  That is what HMR is for, and even that probably won't get all the canon variants.  

I'm expecting the 1/48 line to be basically "greatest hits," with maybe a mass production thrown in.  I don't think we'll see the vt-1, ve-1, or even vf-1d in this scale.  But I could be very wrong.

I know I personally won't collect a complete line in this scale, but I could be in the minority.

Edited by HardlyNever

I think what remains to be seen is whether Bandai does pure TV releases, mixes in some DYRL versions, or does more of their weird hybrid schemes like they've done with the HMR sets.

So, until I started going overboard and grabbing everything, I had my Yamato want-list filtered down to what I considered the "essential" schemes for the VF-1.  If Bandai does this set, I'll buy them all, and be happy:
1. Roy VF-1S
2. Hikaru VF-1J
3. Orange VF-1D
4. Brownie VF-1A
5. Max VF-1J
6. Millia VF-1J

Why those particular six?  Until the advent of Yamato and Hasegawa, those were pretty much the only VF-1s available in any affordable format that I recall (super rare chunky monkeys not withstanding).  All the old styrene kits from Bandai and ARII were of those six.  Obviously, people could repaint the VF-1A kits for all sorts of other schemes, but for a long time, those were the only easily accessible VF-1 schemes.  I have to assume that the reason those six were continuously reproduced is that they sold reliably. 

Now, that leaves out the DYRL versions, and I'd love to see those as well, but I'm under the impression that those are not as popular, because until Hasegawa got the license, I don't think anyone released any kits of those schemes.  If they did cover DYRL, I'd at least want to include the whole Skull Squadron in some format.  Might be a bit excessive to do both A and S versions of Hikaru and Max, but to round out the squad would be between 3 and 5 more releases, or 6 if they do a DYRL-specific Roy version, so we'd have 6 and 6, TV and DYRL.  I could live with that.

I'd love to see the VT-1 as well, but if they do that one, they may as well milk the mold and do the VE-1 as well, and then we get into the milking phase, and it's back down the rabbit hole. :p

What I would like to see them do is make the marking roundels for the super packs swappable, so you could have either a skull, or the UN kite insignia.  If they're going to blur the lines between DYRL and TV style packs, they may as well just make one set that'll cover both.

24 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

I think what remains to be seen is whether Bandai does pure TV releases, mixes in some DYRL versions, or does more of their weird hybrid schemes like they've done with the HMR sets.

The DX 1/48 VF-1J is already a hybrid 

24 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Until the advent of Yamato and Hasegawa, those were pretty much the only VF-1s available in any affordable format that I recall (super rare chunky monkeys not withstanding).  All the old styrene kits from Bandai and ARII were of those six.  

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/models/arii/arii_hewat.htm

ar563b.jpg

ar565_box.jpg

ar559-m5b.jpg

ar558-box.jpg

Catch-4.png

Glad I was wrong then, I just never saw those. :lol:  Actually, I should mention my searches were limited to what was available on ebay at the time.  It seems like all of the ones that were available were always those 6 main schemes.

Not sure what you mean about the new VF-1J being a hybrid though?  Aside from the non-puffy hands, that looks purely like a TV-style design, and the puffy hands have been ignored for quite a while already in other places where VF-1s have been seen (the updated pachinko machine animation, as well as what I think was some car commercial featuring the VF-1J).

9 hours ago, Chronocidal said:

Not sure what you mean about the new VF-1J being a hybrid though?  Aside from the non-puffy hands, that looks purely like a TV-style design, and the puffy hands have been ignored for quite a while already in other places where VF-1s have been seen (the updated pachinko machine animation, as well as what I think was some car commercial featuring the VF-1J).

As a slavish Macross purist....I would expect TV-style hands being the default, TV style canopy, TV style cockpit (looks like it might be, but the pilot fig does not seem to be positioned to be clutching his flight stick so still inconclusive)...for the most part it is and it is licensed as such by Bandai since it is using the SDFM logo and 1982 copyright....pretty sure they will come out with DYRL schemes soon enough....but they will need to adjust the cockpit a bit....

The true test will come when Bandai releases the GBP and Fast Packs....they have released separate FP for their 1/72 VF-1 kit....so they are fully aware of the FP differences between the SDFM and DYRL versions...I am sure they will not get lazy on their flagship DX VF-1....I hope!

Edited by jvmacross

15 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The true test will come when Bandai releases the GBP and Fast Packs....they have released separate FP for their 1/72 VF-1 kit....so they are fully aware of the FP differences between the SDFM and DYRL versions...I am sure they will not get lazy on their flagship DX VF-1....I hope!

Unfortunately, as we all know too well, the work the model division does usually has nothing to do with the DX line, or else the v.1 VF-25 would have never happened.  Given how different the Delta models have been from the DX valks, I'd say they still aren't really on speaking terms. :p 

I don't think the puffy hands will ever be the default, because they don't mesh well with perfect transformation, so I'd just expect replacements for those.  For the cockpit though, I'm curious to see what Bandai does if they do any DYRL versions.  Simplest solution would probably be removing the HUD, and just printing a new screen, but I'd be surprised if they go to the trouble of molding two separate designs.  The canopy though, I'd never expect to change, since it's a part of the transformation process, and changing the shape would likely require altering how the chest plate and canopy cover fit.

Some of the tweaks they can make are easy, like printing different things on the cockpit screens, or just removing a piece like the HUD, but I'd actually like to know what Bandai is working from in terms of what they consider "canon."  There have been so many variations over the years, we really don't know what standard they're using.

6 minutes ago, orbitalharvest said:

anybody heard of solaris japan?  looks like they still got the vf-1j, tho a bit pricey...  

https://solarisjapan.com/products/macross-vf-1j-valkyrie-ichijou-hikaru-machine-dx-chogokin-1-48-bandai

Used them years ago for a few rare figures and had no issues. And seems to be still the case as per figure forums (not much issue and support is responsive). So they're legit though they're on the pricey side.

4 hours ago, orbitalharvest said:

loved those!  i always found they never quite got the nose cone shape right tho.  always turned down, instead of the distinctive profile shape of the valks we know and love

The 1/170 kits had the really wonky nose shape. These 1/100 kits were actually pretty nicely proportioned, excepting the gerwalk and battroid-only kits. The battroids were really chunky, and the gerwalks had the arms from the battroids which were much too large for the fighter airframes. The variable two and three-mode models were all pretty nice :)

Edited by Hiriyu

nin-nin is shady af. I will never order from them again. 

More than one mwf member has had a preorder cancelled by NN; only to see the same item listed at a crazy markup shortly thereafter.

I had to file a PayPal dispute to get my money back from them. 

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods