Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

24 minutes ago, mcfly50 said:

I thought someone could photo shop a Yamato 1/48 VF-1J posed like the photos released of the Bandai version for a side by side compare and contrast. I thought it might highlight detail differences. 

there's really no need for a yamato 1/48 vf-1J for comparison because we can just use the 1/60 vf-1J instead.  you can't really do a size comparison without knowing the scale or height of the item. 

sbs.jpg.7b8b8cb23207da3a7e76d5c53981592f.jpg

10 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Man, the Yamato is tough to beat! There are a few minor improvements on the Bandai but it also looks squatter up top, looks pretty badass but not as heroic proportioned as the Yammie. 

Yeah, between those two in the pic, I'd have to take the yamcadia.  Ofc one is a perfect picture of a release quality model, with probably a little photoshop, and the other is a less-than-perfect picture of a pre-production model.

Hopefully Bandai can clean it up before release.

2 hours ago, F360 said:

there's really no need for a yamato 1/48 vf-1J for comparison because we can just use the 1/60 vf-1J instead.  you can't really do a size comparison without knowing the scale or height of the item. 

sbs.jpg.7b8b8cb23207da3a7e76d5c53981592f.jpg

something doesn't look quite right about it.. especially compared to the 1:60 yamacadia examples. 

At this point in time......I wouldn't even come close to laying down money for the Bandai offering.  There. I said it.  I firmly believe the Yamarcadia 1:60 ver whatever we are on now is the best VF-1.  IF Bandai had gone full retard and done the 1:35 one properly, with lots of great details and gimmicks and some ground crew and an awesome base... maybe...A 1J and or 1S as a centerpiece to what many of us already have, which a large amount of, and considerable investment in, the 1:60 VF-1 line.  As it stands now, sorry Bandai, to little to late on this train for me. Time may prove me wrong, we'll wait and see. 

Edited by derex3592

47 minutes ago, spanner said:

something doesn't look quite right about it.. especially compared to the 1:60 yamacadia examples. 

It could be just mis transformation on Bandai's part.  Looks like the chest did not slide all the way down. 

It's really looking like this is going to be a mid-point between a lot of other designs that came before it.  Whether it winds up being the "Goldilocks" point of "just right," or an uneven mash-up that does nothing significantly better than any other version remains to be seen.

I'll be happy to give at least one a shot, but the idea of another line of VF-1s to collect doesn't sound like a good idea at all.  If they do it in 1/48 or even 1/35 (I'd personally prefer 1/32), it'll make a nice centerpiece, but I'm not replacing my current 1/60 collection any time soon.

If Bandai actually does make a few of these, I'll be sorely tempted though.  Given the option, I'd be up for the Hikaru 1J, a Roy 1S, VT-1, and VF-1D in 1/48 or 1/35.. provided I can make the space. :lol: 

I think people having been staring at their Yamato V2s so long that they have come to think that that is what battroid mode is supposed to look like... this will give Bandai an uphill battle if they're trying to get this thing to look more like some of the older chunky art.

I'm not really interested in the new smaller VF-1 from Bandai. It would have to perform some stunning engineering magic to make me buy it (like an source material accurate leg transformation). I have too much Arcaida VF-1 toys to switch them for Bandai releases.

The "Soul of Chogokin" 1/35 VF-1 was much more tempting because I could justify having just one as a centerpiece for my collection. 

I guess it will save me a lot of money that way. Money I could invest in a VF-31J Kai or the YF-25 that is the glaring hole in my Frontier collection (I shouldn't have bought the VF-25A to begin with :P).

I think it looks promising in comparison to the Yamato 1/48. I agree with Jenius; the 1/60 yamarcadia is a sweet figure but the 1/48 and dx look more anime accurate in battroid mode. 

The vf-1 really does call for a large scale because it’s a small bird compared to subsequent valks. 

I have loads of 1/48s but am still pumped to get my hands on these because of the ostensible improvements to engineering and details (tampo).

I'm less of a stickler for anime accuracy and more concerned with what looks good to my eye.  I'm not really loving what we've seen so far, but I'm also not willing to judge this thing off of one pose on a pre-production model. 

I do hope Bandai can do something to make this really stand out; whether that is extra gimmicks, unique transformation, high amounts of articulation, something to make me feel more excited.  Slightly improving on the yamcadia 1/60 in a slightly bigger scale won't be enough for me to bite, but maybe I'm not the market for this release.  I know there are die-hards that have had the v2 1/60 for almost 10 years now, so anything new for the vf-1 is exciting (and so they will probably buy it), even if it isn't exactly what we're looking for.

Despite of everyone's comparing technical drawings, I only wish that if this one will end up near Arcadia's 1/60 scale size, I hope that Bandai will incorporate proper transformations like their transforming kit back in the 80's. Like the shoulder sliding in and out (Hi-Metal R style) rather than rotating like what Yamato/Arcadia did. Hope Bandai will make it as anime accurate as possible. (As long that it's doable). ;) 

4 minutes ago, valhary said:

should have this type of gimmicks

That's doable if it's not transformable like the kit he posted. ;)

Edited by no3Ljm

3 hours ago, Scyla said:

I guess it will save me a lot of money that way. Money I could invest in a VF-31J Kai or the YF-25 that is the glaring hole in my Frontier collection (I shouldn't have bought the VF-25A to begin with :P).

There's one DX YF-25 available at AE at the moment, to fill that glaring hole... just doing my part in helping a fellow member to be parted from some of his hard-earned cash. ^_^

On 12/11/2017 at 3:55 PM, jenius said:

I think people having been staring at their Yamato V2s so long that they have come to think that that is what battroid mode is supposed to look like... this will give Bandai an uphill battle if they're trying to get this thing to look more like some of the older chunky art.

I remember during the 1/55's heyday that fans would proclaim that, excluding the swing bar and head sculpt, it was the perfect representation of the VF-1. Now we're seeing the same thing with the v2 1/60's. It's funny how psychology works. Anyways, I thought that the 1/35 VF-1J prototype was an excellent compromise between the line art's beefy proportions and modern day aesthetics. This new whatever scale VF-1 just looks too blocky; hopefully it's just a case of bad angles.

55 minutes ago, TheLoneWolf said:

I remember during the 1/55's heyday that fans would proclaim that, excluding the swing bar and head sculpt, it was the perfect representation of the VF-1. Now we're seeing the same thing with the v2 1/60's. It's funny how psychology works. Anyways, I thought that the 1/35 VF-1J prototype was an excellent compromise between the line art's beefy proportions and modern day aesthetics. This new whatever scale VF-1 just looks too blocky; hopefully it's just a case of bad angles.

I dunno.  I don't think everyone is saying the yamato v2 1/60 is the perfect vf-1, we're really just comparing it to what we've seen of this (which is admittedly very little).  I know I personally want my gerwalk antenna back :lol:.

The criticism seems to be that this isn't enough of an improvement over the v2 to warrant a new full line.  Time will tell, though.

11 hours ago, Ridden001 said:

Just noticed the articulation on the arm will be better than Arcadia.  The lateral movement will swing out because the bandai doesn't close up the shoulder pad all the way down on the outside.  They left a gap for the arm to swing out.  The Arcadia comes all the way down.

The Arcadia's shoulder pads also slide upwards though.  I've never had any trouble with the range of motion on the existing shoulders, they were just fragile at first. :lol: