Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

@davidwhangchoi I know, I even have one of the Yamato sets on my desk for a custom project. 

my point is that the Bandai figures are not cheaper than Arcadia’s, especially if you factor in secondary market pricing (which may as well be SRP for most of us). So to say it’s better priced when it’s nearly double the cost all-in is a bit disingenuous.

11 hours ago, davidwhangchoi said:

what if someone were to claim, the crotch mechinism is so superior on the DX vs. arcadia 1/60 v.2 toy bc they only have the early 2.0 releases and they complain the 1/60 crotch are so hard to lock in? i don't think it would be a good comparison or conclusion to say the dx is better based on those observations.    

anyways, cool beans, the 1/48 is cool. i like it too.

The only 1/60 I had was one of the earlier 2.0 releases and the legs were a collosal pain to lock in Battroid mode.  I transformed it once, back into fighter and sold it. 

The 1/60 looked good and had nicer proportions compared to my Yammie 1/48, but next to my tampo'd DX (which I bought at the same time), it looked  naked without the stickers applied. 

I applied most of the stickers to my Yammie 1/48 collection, but  I would rather have the factory applied markings.  Stickers peel, and if not done right, collect dust around the peeling edges.

I have a few gripes about the DX, it's not perfect, but most have already been covered.  The missing skull squadron on the Hikki really irks me, lol!

I must be the only person who wasn't super excited to try and get Roy.  :) 

BTW Does anyone know if Bandai will be doing another run of SSP?  I almost got screwed over by a scammer after pre-ordering one through FromJapan - I was able to get my money back but ended up not being able to find a SSP set.

I think I'm done with the DX line for now (other than trying to get a SSP set).  Then again, if Bandai releases an armoured VF-1, I might have to re-evaluate my position. :)

[mini rant]
I've got to say, while I love my DX VF-1A and 1S and I'm glad I managed to get them, I absolutely hate the artificial scarcity of these products.  It also doesn't help when people are buying 5+ boxes, displaying one, and sticking the rest in their closets for a rainy day lol.  I can understand buying two - one for display and one sealed, but 5 or 6?  Maybe some people are displaying each one in a different pose or custom painting them?  Then throw the scalpers into the mix and it just blows for the non-hardcore collector trying to get one of these.  It's another good reason why Bandai should be producing more of these. 
[/mini rant]

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

@davidwhangchoi I know, I even have one of the Yamato sets on my desk for a custom project. 

my point is that the Bandai figures are not cheaper than Arcadia’s, especially if you factor in secondary market pricing (which may as well be SRP for most of us). So to say it’s better priced when it’s nearly double the cost all-in is a bit disingenuous.

This just reflects your perceived value; in fact, it reflects everyone's perceived value that is discussing this.  There really isn't a true, unbiased comparison between Yamarcadia and Bandai DX because they are (in many ways) apples to oranges (or perhaps Mandarins to Oranges is a better analogy?) - Different scales in the comparison you made and different materials (or some would say different quality).

For the most part, I'm just reading one of two things underlying this discussion:

1. A bunch of noobs to DX 1/48 VF-1 collecting who are waxing nostalgia of the golden Yamato or Arcadia days
  2. Perceived value driven mostly by price and not materials, scale or quality (though many would argue that Yamarcadia is higher quality)

For the sake of discussion, I would argue that your statement of "nearly double the cost" is a bit disingenuous.  A closer comparison to scale, materials and quality would be the Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S PF version to a Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1 with missiles.  At retail, the DX is less expensive.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

6 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

For the sake of discussion, I would argue that your statement of "nearly double the cost" is a bit disingenuous.  A closer comparison to scale, materials and quality would be the Arcadia 1/60 VF-0S PF version to a Bandai DX 1/48 VF-1 with missiles.  At retail, the DX is less expensive.

Was going to write this but you couldn't have said it any better:good:

1 hour ago, peter said:

The only 1/60 I had was one of the earlier 2.0 releases and the legs were a collosal pain to lock in Battroid mode.  I transformed it once, back into fighter and sold it. 

The 1/60 looked good and had nicer proportions compared to my Yammie 1/48, but next to my tampo'd DX (which I bought at the same time), it looked  naked without the stickers applied. 

I applied most of the stickers to my Yammie 1/48 collection, but  I would rather have the factory applied markings.  Stickers peel, and if not done right, collect dust around the peeling edges.

I have a few gripes about the DX, it's not perfect, but most have already been covered.  The missing skull squadron on the Hikki really irks me, lol!

yeah, i agree with everything you experienced. I wished the full premium finished 1/60's came out earlier. 

and yeah, the DX is not perfect. i dont like those floppy wing flaps  like the old 1/48's had, preferred if they weren't there at all.  

It's all really preference. Deep down it all boils down to:

NEW VALKYRIE (even though I have like 5 of everything already in other scales), BUY, CONSOOM

fnZQPMa.gif.20ac5160fff0ffd5cab213b27e056c35.gif

At least it's not like smaller series like Patlabor where most new lines fizzle out after AV-98 1/2/3 so all everyone has is like 30 ingrams and like 3 non ingram labors (if I just buy the ingrams I already ahve 10 of to support this line they'll make non ingram labors yeah yeah *shakes back and forth*)

Edited by Duymon

22 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

Sure is....now where can we get some at retail? :(

THIS.  The MSRP is irrelevant when you will never, EVER find it at that price...

24 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

3 minutes ago, myk said:

THIS.  The MSRP is irrelevant when you will never, EVER find it at that price...

Whelp.... I feel you there brother! But I have.  I've been fortunate with all of the DX VF-1 releases so far to get them at retail as well as the accessories minus the 1J.  Paid a small back-tax fee for that but essentially got it close to retail and sold some other toys for a profit to wash out the difference.  Gotta hustle to collect this shiz.

unnamed.jpg

40 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

on pre order night :lol:  it's open to the public, world wide .. :lol:

19 minutes ago, myk said:

Or on reopening. and near release dates  :lol:

Enrollment for Bandai preorder bootcamp starts soon.

...I have 2each of 1J, 1A, Hikaru 1S I got at retail. Plus a Kakizaki and 3 Roy's on pre-order at Retail (well, P-Bandai+Proxy fees for Kakizaki), plus a 1J I got for a friend at retail.

As far as Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 vs DX 1/48: If you're in battroid, there's no contest. The DX blows anything Yamato out of the water.

For fighter mode it's less clear-cut, since none of the articulation improvements on the DX matter in fighter. Plus the whole tabbing thing.

But for battroid (and to a lesser extent Gerwalk) the DX is indisputably better.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

10 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Whelp.... I feel you there brother! But I have.  I've been fortunate with all of the DX VF-1 releases so far to get them at retail as well as the accessories minus the 1J.  Paid a small back-tax fee for that but essentially got it close to retail and sold some other toys for a profit to wash out the difference.  Gotta hustle to collect this shiz.

unnamed.jpg

Lol! Actually we got it below retail. :p

Edited by crackpot

4 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

...I have 2each of 1J, 1A, Hikaru 1S I got at retail. Plus a Kakizaki and 3 Roy's on pre-order at Retail (well, P-Bandai+Proxy fees for Kakizaki), plus a 1J I got for a friend at retail.

As far as Yamato 1/48 and 1/60 vs DX 1/48: If you're in battroid, there's no contest. The DX blows anything Yamato out of the water.

For fighter mode it's less clear-cut, since none of the articulation improvements on the DX matter in fighter. Plus the whole tabbing thing.

But for battroid (and to a lesser extent Gerwalk) the DX is indisputably better.

Let's try to be more specific on the Battroid that you say there's no contest and DX is indisputably better.

Exactly which Yamato does the DX (which DX?)  "blows anything Yamato out of the water"  The 1/48 or the 1/60v2 or both?

Can you specify which, why and how?

Preferrably with pics showing how better the DX is/are against the yammie 1/60v2.

For me, the only DX I have out on display is the Hikkie-1S with FP.  In battroid-mode and in very neutral static pose.  

1 minute ago, treatment said:

Let's try to be more specific on the Battroid that you say there's no contest and DX is indisputably better.

Exactly which Yamato does the DX (which DX?)  "blows anything Yamato out of the water"  The 1/48 or the 1/60v2 or both?

Can you specify which, why and how?

Preferrably with pics showing how better the DX is/are against the yammie 1/60v2.

For me, the only DX I have out on display is the Hikkie-1S with FP.  In battroid-mode and in very neutral static pose.  

18036186210_968d503053_b.jpg

6 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Hell...I'm going to start arguing for Chunkies, the greatest Valks of all times.  And you will lose.

The chunky IS the greatest valk of all time.  What other variable fighter toy had the capability of taking your eye out, stock from the box with that murderous, missile firing GU11?  Lol.

As for a bandai versus yamato/Arcadia there is no conflict there for me.  The higher cost and difficulty to purchase the DX will make it so that outside of Roy, I will not buy anything else.  In reality, the only reason why I'm even buying the DX Roy is because I stopped collecting a long time ago and ironically never got a Roy, despite him being my favorite character and color scheme.  From what I've seen, the changes on the DX versus the old '48s don't justify the new expense or headache of getting into this line.   I do wish everyone else luck and happiness in your collecting endeavors though...

Edited by myk

The good thing about this MWF board back in the day is that various people will elucidate and elaborate comparisons.

Be it Graham, EXO, etc, etc...

Much better stuff for discussion than the endless whining about N-Y in this thread instead of its own separate thread.

3 hours ago, peter said:

I too have problem with this. Really prefer the later version or the Arcadia version. The original v2 is a pain to lock in and unlock. I think I have damaged one Valk while struggling with this. I dread transforming my older V2 1/60.

Quite a few of these also develop a small play on the attachment of the T bar to the nose cone. The vertical bar can't stay "locked". It cause the valk to lean forward. Been trying to find a solution to fix this, but there is nothing that "hold" the vertical bar in place. So I don't have any contact point to "strengthen". If anyone know how to fix this, I would love to know.

The DX, is much more pleasant to handle.

6 minutes ago, treatment said:

Much better stuff for discussion than the endless whining about N-Y in this thread instead of its own separate thread.

The irony in this statement. 

Anyway, for the gerwalk, I would say the DX has an edge above the Yamarcadias because the DX can spread its legs wider giving the gerwalk a more aggressive stance. Aesthetically, the DX looks a bit better also in battroid as the head sits more flush to the body compared to the 1/60 where it is elevated a bit. The same can be said about the head in fighter mode where the DX is more hidden. Although, I will give it to the 1/60 with fighter mode as it feels more secure with the parts locking in better. I do like the individual movable head lasers on the DX 1S. Tampos are debatable for me. I prefer the simplicity and accuracy of the PF 1/60 tampos but have gotten accustomed to the DX's where it doesn't really bother me at this point. I do believe the DX has double jointed elbows while the 1/60 doesn't. That's another plus with the DX's battroid articulation.

I feel the DX is better than the 1/60 but in small increments. It's not game changing but still better. I'm not fond of the 1/48 scale for the VF-1 and would preferred if Bandai went with 1/60.

7 minutes ago, crackpot said:

The irony in this statement. 

Anyway, for the gerwalk, I would say the DX has an edge above the Yamarcadias because the DX can spread its legs wider giving the gerwalk a more aggressive stance. Aesthetically, the DX looks a bit better also in battroid as the head sits more flush to the body compared to the 1/60 where it is elevated a bit. The same can be said about the head in fighter mode where the DX is more hidden. Although, I will give it to the 1/60 with fighter mode as it feels more secure with the parts locking in better. I do like the individual movable head lasers on the DX 1S. Tampos are debatable for me. I prefer the simplicity and accuracy of the PF 1/60 tampos but have gotten accustomed to the DX's where it doesn't really bother me at this point. I do believe the DX has double jointed elbows while the 1/60 doesn't. That's another plus with the DX's battroid articulation.

I feel the DX is better than the 1/60 but in small increments. It's not game changing but still better. I'm not fond of the 1/48 scale for the VF-1 and would preferred if Bandai went with 1/60.

'48 to me is an odd scale for this line, IMO.  I too wish they had kept it '60 so I could keep it in line with my other variable fighters.  I also like what you said about game changing.  When the yamato '48 came out  five thousand years ago, it was indeed a game changer.   Based on what I've seen, heard and read about the DX, it's great but definitely not a game changer.   Add in that fact that I'm a total whore for fighter mode-only displays and the DX's improvements are lost on me...

Edited by myk

One definite thing I like about these new DXs is the box/packaging.

Quite efficient, compact and rather sturdy.

In contrast, the old Yammie 1/48s (and even the YamArcadia 1/60v2s still) boxes/packaging were always just so wasteful. 

Just way too much unnecessary and unused space in them yammie-boxes. 

46 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

This is my take. I love the Arcadia 1/60s I have (DYRL Hikaru VF-1S SSP and Millia VF-1J) in fighter and GERWALK, but there's not much of a competition in battroid. The DX has better proportions (larger head and shoulders), better articulation (the outward swivel at the GERWALK joint helps a ton for dynamic posing, plus the waist swivel, articulated fingers, etc.), no priest collar, etc.

As for price, I was able to get the 1J and Kakizaki at retail, as well as a missile pack and the TV supers, and the Hikaru 1S/SSP at only a marginal mark-up. I don't need a ton of missile packs as I don't intend to have them all in fighter mode at the same time decked with missiles. I get that's a draw for some people, but it's never been my preference. I actually do prefer having them as an option to keep the prices of the main Valks lower. Secondary market prices also haven't been terrible for the DX line at release, despite them all selling out instantly at pre-order - they were a lot worse for the VF-31s, in my experience.

Generally, I am very "why not both" when it comes to stuff like this - Arcadia makes some great stuff, Bandai makes some great stuff, I can budget to grab the ones I like from each company. The DX definitely replaced the 1/60 V2 for me, though I'm probably only going to be on the hook for Millia and maybe a DYRL Max/Roy at this point.

3 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

That's a fair point if you just want to look at size and physical composition of it, sure. But that is also not the argument I'm trying to make.

If you want a Hikaru VF-1S with all of the pieces, you've got three options. A VF-0S is not one of them.

Arcadia VF-1S set (25k yen at Mandarake)

Arcadia VF-1S Premium Finish set (40k yen at Mandarake, but sold out)

Bandai DX VF-1S with missiles and SSP (47k yen at Mandarake, but sold out)

And 47 is nearly double 25 (I assume since you would have to ship three items vs one that the shipping would see to actually doubling the cost).

So I guess the question comes down to how much value you place on 1) size and 2) added detail that doesn't involve applying decals.

(FWIW, I don't think the Premium Pricing of the Premium Finish figures is worth it either, as they'd have to be sitting just a few feet from me for me to actually notice the added detail, but I work at my desk so I can't fill it full of figures to stare at all day).

(and again, I don't want to get into a discussion about which one is better, or whatever, because that's all going to be subjective, and I really don't care. But purely based on cost, if you want a Hikaru VF-1S, then yes, a DX version is going to cost you nearly double an Arcadia one, so to say the Bandai is "better priced" when it's nearly double is... very skewed value).

Edited by jeniusornome

As much as I feel the DX is better in most ways compared to the Yamato 1/48 and the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 VF-1s and just overall much better, it will definitely not be replacing the 1/60 VF-1 toys for me. I have a very wide range of Macross mecha in 1/60 scale and it very much matters to me that they are in scale with one another when displayed. My non-1/60 scale items are displayed separately or on their own. So the DX is awesome to me, yes, but I only see myself getting maybe one or two more and then I'm done with them.

They'll be replacing the Yamato 1/48's (of which, I've already retired most of the ones I have in favor of freeing up display space for other stuff) that I have on display.  To me, they're better in pretty much every way whereas you can argue merits for the 1/60s and they definitely have their place. Let's face it, the Yamato 1/48s were designed and made in the very early 2000's. Design and manufacturing has improved greatly since then. Since that time, a 1/60 YF-19 came out, then redesigned from the ground up and released, and then made again in 1/60 scale by yet another company, with the latter two being massive improvements over the initial 1/60 YF-19. It's to be expected that the Yamato 1/48 VF-1 would be outclassed so many years later. If the DX VF-1 didn't, I'd be questioning Bandai how they could lose to an 18 year old design.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

22 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

That's a fair point if you just want to look at size and physical composition of it, sure. But that is also not the argument I'm trying to make.

If you want a Hikaru VF-1S with all of the pieces, you've got three options. A VF-0S is not one of them.

Arcadia VF-1S set (25k yen at Mandarake)

Arcadia VF-1S Premium Finish set (40k yen at Mandarake, but sold out)

Bandai DX VF-1S with missiles and SSP (47k yen at Mandarake, but sold out)

And 47 is nearly double 25 (I assume since you would have to ship three items vs one that the shipping would see to actually doubling the cost).

So I guess the question comes down to how much value you place on 1) size and 2) added detail that doesn't involve applying decals.

(FWIW, I don't think the Premium Pricing of the Premium Finish figures is worth it either, as they'd have to be sitting just a few feet from me for me to actually notice the added detail, but I work at my desk so I can't fill it full of figures to stare at all day).

Dont forget to add in the Arcadia display stand pricing in there too ^_^  5K yen .. 

Just now, ErikElvis said:

The 1/60’s are good solid toys minus the early shoulder issues. I like the Bandai 1/48 but the leg connection is kinda wonky. 

Do you mean how the legs just kind of peg in with no locks aside from pegging into the backpack in fighter mode?

6 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Do you mean how the legs just kind of peg in with no locks aside from pegging into the backpack in fighter mode?

I mean how they clip in in battroid. Mine kept popping back out. It’s fine once it’s all transformed. 

Honestly, if you have 1/60 V2's, and you're happy with them, then you might not have a lot of reason to get these 1/48's. I no longer have any and I figured having Roy's TV version (And soon Hikaru's DYRL VF-1S) would be something new to fill the void.

I don't see me owning a lot of these, unless a VF-1D/DYRL Ostrich or a Low Vis/Stealth comes out. Now if Bandai comes out with a VF-0S in 1/60, I'll be all over those.