Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

:unknw:

Hikaru's VF-1S was the only "hero" valk prominently shown in the last few minutes of the film...it was also the only time his VF-1S was animated on-screen....not sure what other VF-1 would it need to be differentiated from during this sequence...it wasn't the only time animation errors occurred during the film and it happened several times during the TV show also...practically every episode

The switching heat shield colors happen a few times in the final battle sequence, with it going from black to red....here is one example...

Yeah, I noticed that when I was making a GIF a while back. 

DYRLBlackSkull.PNG.ad2f1905cce8fec8680c45ef0de2da89.PNG

What we really need a is a heat-activated, color-changing gimmick like all those cool 80s and 90s toys had.  That's how true anime accuracy is achieved.  Dunking it in hot water.

47 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The switching heat shield colors happen a few times in the final battle sequence, with it going from black to red....here is one example..

Woah...never really paid attention.  That's awesome.

42 minutes ago, HardlyNever said:

What we really need a is a heat-activated, color-changing gimmick like all those cool 80s and 90s toys had.  That's how true anime accuracy is achieved.  Dunking it in hot water.

YESSS.  Rainbow canopy what? 

58 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

:unknw:

Hikaru's VF-1S was the only "hero" valk prominently shown in the last few minutes of the film...it was also the only time his VF-1S was animated on-screen....not sure what other VF-1 would it need to be differentiated from during this sequence...it wasn't the only time animation errors occurred during the film and it happened several times during the TV show also...practically every episode

The switching heat shield colors happen a few times in the final battle sequence, with it going from black to red....here is one example...

So what statement are you making? That nobody knows what color it's supposed to be because there are animation errors?

The preponderance of time it's red... so you're saying it was red most the time because MOST the animation is wrong?

Edited by jenius

22 minutes ago, jenius said:

So what statement are you making?

You seemed to allude/believe that there was a reason beyond animation errors regarding the need for Hikaru's heat shield on his Strike -1S to be red.....

2 hours ago, jenius said:

While that's possible, it's also possible that it was intentionally done to differentiate the hero.

The final and only scenes in DYRL involving Hikaru's Strike -1S involved no other VF-1...thus there was no reason to "differentiate the hero".....it was purely an animation error that was apparently not worth correcting prior to theatrical release...

Ironically, this was tied into a Bandai marketing stunt when the Bandai Strike VF-1S was released...I am sure you know what I am referring to....

Oh and to add fuel to the fire regarding the "color morphing" on VF-1's....the early "sneak peak" of DYRL featured a scene of the Roy Strike -1S with no yellow chest stripe...that eventually was "color" corrected before the same exact scene appeared on the actual theatrical release...so I suppose maybe they were on a time crunch by the time they animated the "final battle" with Hikaru's Strike -1S....:unknw:

On 4/13/2020 at 4:57 PM, derex3592 said:

@wm cheng May we please see a full topside picture good sir of your panel lining and  a quick note about what method you went with for the DX? I haven't decided if I'm going to do mine yet. Yours appears to be fairly light and not over done. 

Hey Derex3592,  I usually go with Flory's Wash and mix up the greys from their line of white, grey & black.  I used a light grey, grey and black.  If I weather, I just smear ground up graphite (mechanical pencil shavings) with a smudge stick - but you have to clear coat afterwards to protect it.  I haven't chose to do that on these VF-1s yet.

IMG_9680_resize.JPG.ef34c7f580c03b6bb705edf154ce4856.JPGIMG_9681_resize.JPG.17e3d8d95b3ff51e9070540b2350c86c.JPG

27 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

You seemed to allude/believe that there was a reason beyond animation errors regarding the need for Hikaru's heat shield on his Strike -1S to be red.....

The final and only scenes in DYRL involving Hikaru's Strike -1S involved no other VF-1...thus there was no reason to "differentiate the hero".....it was purely an animation error that was apparently not worth correcting prior to theatrical release...

Ironically, this was tied into a Bandai marketing stunt when the Bandai Strike VF-1S was released...I am sure you know what I am referring to....

Oh and to add fuel to the fire regarding the "color morphing" on VF-1's....the early "sneak peak" of DYRL featured a scene of the Roy Strike -1S with no yellow chest stripe...that eventually was "color" corrected before the same exact scene appeared on the actual theatrical release...so I suppose maybe they were on a time crunch by the time they animated the "final battle" with Hikaru's Strike -1S....:unknw:

There was no animation error with Hikaru's valk.

There were only two animation errors in DYRL (Max-1A's red/blue heatshield and Roy-1S yellow heat-shield), and both were already corrected by the time the DYRL Remastered-version was released.

As for the "red-to-black-and-back-again", it'll just be some intentional shadow/shade effect the animators were doing. Like the glare effect when he did his alpha-strike.

As such, any body here have had their Strike-FP Hikaru in valk-mode and notice any issues (sagging or whatever...) ?

I'm still reluctant to put mine on Strike-FP valk-mode coz of Jenius' findings in his review.

Edited by treatment

11 minutes ago, treatment said:

As such, any body here have had their Strike-FP Hikaru in valk-mode and notice any issues (sagging or whatever...) ?

I'm still reluctant to put mine on Strike-FP valk-mode coz of Jenius' findings in his review.

Mine has been like this since about 7-8 days after the SSP's were released. Half of the time I was using the Bandai stand adapter and a YetiStand and the other half on the Flightpose stand. No sag at all. It may be helped by how it's supported. I'm not sure what you're referencing in @jenius video because I haven't seen it. At one point he wasn't aware that you have to brute force the legs into the pegs by the back of the wings. I don't blame him, it was pretty scary the first time I pegged them in there all the way. A real stepping off of a cliff moment (I thought I was going to break it). If the video was done pre brute force pegging (don't Google that:D) that could explain some of the sag. Or I'm completely confusing the situation. I'd put the odds at 50/50.

VF-1S Sag.jpg

Ok, thanks.

I should've mentioned not using any stands and just having it stationary using its own landing gears.

I don't like Bandai's rinky-dink stands, as it seems to just sometimes just hide the problem.

oh, fwiw and iirc, it was in Jenius'  written review instead of his yt-review where he mentioned along the potential for the arms to sag or get misaligned due to the simple pegs that Bandai didn't improve on since the Hikaru-1J. 

Edited by treatment

10 minutes ago, treatment said:

Ok, thanks.

I should've mentioned not using any stands and just having it stationary using its own landing gears.

I don't like Bandai's rinky-dink stands, as it seems to just sometimes just hide the problem.

oh, fwiw and iirc, it was in Jenius'  written review instead of his yt-review where he mentioned along the potential for the arms to sag or get misaligned due to the simple pegs that Bandai didn't improve on since the Hikaru-1J. 

Your support points with the landing gear are in about the same place that Flightpose stand is supporting from. Jenius has FAR more toy handling chops than I do so this may just be a fluke. But the arms on mine are pegged in there pretty good. It passes the wiggle test. Are they as good as they could have easily been done? Not even close. A chimp could have come up with something better.

25 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

What the heck is valk mode?

19 minutes ago, sqidd said:

All three at the same time maaaaaaann. It's a real trip ya see!:p

You mean Veritech?? :ph34r: 

OR this from Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valk

Valk is a surname. It means "falcon" in Dutch and can be of metonymic origin referring to a falconer. :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

But I don’t and am now intrigued. Do tell... Inquiring minds and all.

Bandai did a mail-in marketing promotion where they shipped "red" snap in heat shields to customers who purchased the 1/55 Hi-Metal VF-1S Hikaru Strike Valkyrie, which at release only included a screw-in black canopy/heat shield.  I supposed in the end, the animation error "stuck" and now it is canon.

Here is a recent auction with the "promo" red heat shield display...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MACROSS-ROBOTECH-DISPLAY-BANDAI-1980-039-S-PERFECT-DETAILED-S-HEAVY-VERSION-RARE-/264617756173?hash=item3d9c72860d%3Ag%3Ap7EAAOSwbY5eM8ul&nma=true&si=bCv4YWR%2FjK1lnHCmu1iyhRiGBOc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

...the red heat shields (10 or so) are missing from the display sold in the auction, but they are the same ones used in the Bandai  Hi-Metal 1/55 VF-1A sold in 1985 shown in this pic....once you had it, you could make your Hikaru Strike -1S look just like it did in the movie....every other cel sequence!..lol

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

You're misunderstanding. Hikaru's trim is red anyway, it's not to avoid viewer confusion. It's a visual means of signifying he is special.

I get it though, your argument is that the animators only got the color right about 3% of the time... I prefer it to be black personally but don't know if I agree with that take. 

On 4/15/2020 at 9:17 PM, F360 said:

The April release Super Stirke parts are out :lol:

I received a ready to ship message from AE the other day for the SSP's and now have to figure out shipping. I've never used these guys before, and apparently they just have a 'fast' or 'slow' shipping option with no mention of carrier used. With me being in the states, I have no desire to use SAL or EMS so I pinged them about their 'fast' shipping method and  it sounded like it's EMS with no option for DHL.

What to do now, other then just let them hold it and hope things get better in the next couple months 8(

Oh, I should mention I also have an order in with NY for the SSP's. I haven't received an instock notice from them yet, but decided to see if I could upgrade my shipping. They do not offer DHL, but instead offer UPS Express Saver for a whopping 6500 yen.

6 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

So it looks like local peeps and proxies have started shipping SSPs already.  No news on NY yet, but has anyone heard from the other shops like Okini Land, AE, Kuramashop, etc.?

I'm bored and want to celebrate other people finally getting Strike Parts haha.

FJ contacted me the day after release to say that my set was available to ship, so I ponied up $30 to send it EMS. Registered Air Small Package was also an option for $7 less, but I figured that would take *a lot* longer. Still no word from NY on my other set. I don't expect to hear from them for quite some time.

51 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

FJ contacted me the day after release to say that my set was available to ship, so I ponied up $30 to send it EMS. Registered Air Small Package was also an option for $7 less, but I figured that would take *a lot* longer. Still no word from NY on my other set. I don't expect to hear from them for quite some time.

Unfortunately EMS has also been severely impacted by the pandemic. I have an EMS shipment from FJ that has been sitting in 'Acceptance' since March 30th with no signs of movement to the states.

Edited by RIBFIR

2 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Haha yeah, I just went with the ferry option with FJ. I'm in no hurry and see no reason to pay more for something especially if it isn't going to definitely be faster.

Given mandatory waiting periods at ports on both ends, ferry will likely take even longer than usual. I grew tired of ferry years ago. Not worth the small price difference for small/light items that take 2-3 months to arrive and might get damaged. Like the hard to find books I shipped that way in December because I thought what heck, let’s try it again, seems to consistently work for some folks here, but now I have books with crushed edges and corners because heavier packages sat on mine for several months while in transit. And the books were packed well. My package had a “Damaged prior to receipt” sticker on it from USPS. For large/heavy stuff that is sturdy and well-packed, and if you’re in no hurry, maybe it makes sense.  Could you eventually build up enough in savings by choosing ferry to buy an additional toy? Sure. It’s a trade off, where the price you pay is significantly longer wait times and possible damage to what you’ve already purchased (which would likely cost more to replace than the price difference between ferry and EMS). I decided that peace of mind is more important to me. :)

Edited by Anasazi37

30 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Given mandatory waiting periods at ports on both ends, ferry will likely take even longer than usual. I grew tired of ferry years ago. Not worth the small price difference for small/light items that take 2-3 months to arrive and might get damaged. Like the hard to find books I shipped that way in December because I thought what heck, let’s try it again, seems to consistently work for some folks here, but now I have books with crushed edges and corners because heavier packages sat on mine for several months while in transit. And the books were packed well. My package had a “Damaged prior to receipt” sticker on it from USPS. For large/heavy stuff that is sturdy and well-packed, and if you’re in no hurry, maybe it makes sense.  Could you eventually build up enough in savings by choosing ferry to buy an additional toy? Sure. It’s a trade off, where the price you pay is significantly longer wait times and possible damage to what you’ve already purchased (which would likely cost more to replace than the price difference between ferry and EMS). I decided that peace of mind is more important to me. :)

14 minutes ago, jenius said:

I haven't seen my ferry packages treated any worse than my air mail packages. I just need my strike parts by the time Hayao arrives... So September?

Yeah, I'm not worried about it at all. I've always used ferry whenever it's into the two digit mark of savings and it almost always is for larger items like Valks. Doesn't take very long for that to add up to a lot of money when you buy as many toys from Japan as I do. It seems like my post office and whatever process it takes before it gets to them has been working out for me because my packages are either always pristine inside or at the worst, I've seen slight wrinkles in corners that could have happened anywhere, with any shipping including before it was even shipped.

13 hours ago, jenius said:

I haven't seen my ferry packages treated any worse than my air mail packages. I just need my strike parts by the time Hayao arrives... So September?

Given all of the current shipping delays, on top of how long NY normally takes to process orders, that's a reasonable estimate. And the two sets I ordered in this round (one from FJ, one from NY) aren't going to be used anytime soon. My Hikaru 1S is already wearing the set I somehow managed to snag through AE in the first round, so these two are for future acquisitions. One for Roy, one just in case something else interesting pops up. So far I've managed to tamp down my desire to collect the entire Skull Squadron, but we'll see how long my resolve lasts.