Jump to content
IXTL

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

Recommended Posts

Ordered via From Japan.

Note to anyone using From Japan: DO NOT USE PAYPAL PAYMENT.

I should have remembered this from the VF-0D order, but if you select Paypal payment on the From Japan page, it won't take you to the Paypal page where you can select your funding source. It will straight up charge you right then and there using Paypal's crappy conversion rate where Paypal pockets the difference.

For this order it was only a few dollars, but it annoys me to no end that I gave a few extra dollars to the f***ers at Paypal. :angry:

I had used my CC conversion rate for the 0D order, fortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dafob said:

Sounds like he has my luck!  LOL

After seeing the prices at AE and NY, I no longer have regrets ordering early at Okiniland. :)

me too at big in japan...total cost plus shipping is less than NY or AE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ordered via FromJapan as well, they have always been good from my experience (more than a decade now). It's just now a waiting game for stuff to arrive and for the next release announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi guys, yesterday I watched very carefully Macross dyrl and tv series to check the accuracy of tampo printing, canopy shape and position of the seat.
In the attached pics you can see what I mean...
Why did Bandai make these mistakes? Why? These are things they could easily do perfectly! So... Why???

SDF

1254241352_DXVF-1J29.jpg.142fc4734524f6b1a713a69b84f8ecca.jpg759850520_PDVD(32).jpg.d02470b178c3e2f6ef6e08e33d7609ed.jpg293263276_PDVD(134).jpg.8dd9afebca51836c9d8ecd6d31b2ec9b.jpgPDVD_001.jpg.dd872193cbe5f20becc2f4cbcbc4cf34.jpg

DYRL

Untitled-3.jpg.97d0a7353560fa4f796eab0eb803b900.jpgPDVD_023.jpg.de5d715718a0ab9a2a2fadf36b183370.jpgPDVD_025.jpg.436652fc11371a039e9bee798707fdac.jpg

Edited by valar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, valar said:


Why did Bandai make these mistakes? Why? These are things they could easily do perfectly! So... Why???

 

 

When talking about conspiracy theories it's always best to view them through the lens of "Don't attribute to conspiracy what you can attribute to greed or stupidity".

When it comes to mass production it's always best to view them through the lens of "Don't attribute to laziness or lack of execution what you can attribute to cost".

I've found with most products that the engineers want to do a something perfect. But they have to dial that back a whole bunch of notches when the bean counters enter the room. Then a couple of more when the marketing guys show up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How is printing the rescue arrow in the wrong direction cheaper or easier than printing it in the right direction? Or just positioning the seat further back in the cockpit where it's supposed to be?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

How is printing the rescue arrow in the wrong direction cheaper or easier than printing it in the right direction? Or just positioning the seat further back in the cockpit where it's supposed to be?

I totally agree with you because I think when they draw the shape of the canopy, the position of the seat or the direction of the prints they take drawings or other things for reference and in this case it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought Hykaru VF-1S DYRL and I'm waiting for it to arrive but shipments are very slow due to the coronavirus.
If Bandai does not fix these problems with printings and/or canopy and seat I think I will not buy other VF1, eventually I'll buy only missile set and DYRL strike parts.
I have 12 Yamato 1/60 V2 VF-1 and they are very good to display (I fixed the head position of the VF-1S in fighter mode), I'll buy other Bandai DX only if they are near to be perfect!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

How is printing the rescue arrow in the wrong direction cheaper or easier than printing it in the right direction? Or just positioning the seat further back in the cockpit where it's supposed to be?

I'm not attempting to let them off the hook for anything. That is a good example. But things like canopy changes could be down to cost. Part shapes have a lot to do with production cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, valar said:

... it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.

If your field of expertise is not pushing mass production through the process you don't know enough for anything to be obvious to you. You're working off 100% assumption.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

long time FJ user but first time ordering a web exclusive. Will they immediately tell us if they cant secure the order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I'm not attempting to let them off the hook for anything. That is a good example. But things like canopy changes could be down to cost. Part shapes have a lot to do with production cost.

I'm not talking about the canopy shape. I'm talking about the internal cockpit, seat and all. It's only like 3 or 4 pieces of plastic. The design has the seat too far forward with a lot of wasted space in the back, forcing the pilots to be made extra small in order to fit into the cockpit. Yes, even the DYRL pilot is undersized, though not as egregiously as the TV pilots.

This is something that should have been addressed in the design stage, long before the first DX went into actual production. A couple of pieces of molded plastic with the seat mounted further back with less wasted space probably isn't going to cost any more than what we have now. It's not going to turn a $200 toy into a $300 or $400 toy. And we could have properly sized pilots too.

Bandai f***ed up the VF-31 cockpit too, which is why those pilots sit in cramped cockpits with the console smushed up against them. I don't attribute that to cost. I would attribute that to laziness, carelessness, and/or stupidity.

 

29 minutes ago, chyll2 said:

long time FJ user but first time ordering a web exclusive. Will they immediately tell us if they cant secure the order?

I have only used them a couple of times and got my order confirmation pretty fast. Never ran into them not being able to secure an order for a web exclusive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'm on the fence about this 1A. I have a TV Max and kind of want a TV Kakizaki to go with it, but then I'd find myself trying to track down a Hikaru 1J and a Roy 1S (whenever they do one) which would be... probably expensive/painful.

OTOH, if I get this one, I'll probably want, at least, a DYRL Hikaru 1A and a Max 1S (for Skull Squadron as it existed during the fight over Altira). And then inevitably a Max 1A and a Roy 1S too.

I don't see cheap way out of this short of not buying anything, but I would like at least one other DX VF-1. I just know buying one would lead to at least two more. This hobby is just so expensive.

Edited by jeniusornome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sqidd said:

If your field of expertise is not pushing mass production through the process you don't know enough for anything to be obvious to you. You're working off 100% assumption.;)

I know how Bandai proceeds to make the Gundam models and I think the process is similar to Macross VF1.

The first design phase is done on the computer with a 3D modeling, then the prototypes are printed with 3D printers and only at the end they create the molds for mass production.

In the mass production phase, the mistakes in the canopy shape or the position of the seat probably will not fix because it would be too expensive to do, but I think the direction of printing in a collectible toy that costs around $200 MUST be fixed.

Then my personal decision is not to buy other VF1 DX because I would take them only if they were really perfect.

There are many VF1 models (Arcadia/Yamato, Hi Metal R, KitzConcept, Hasegawa and other), I think Bandai could make the perfect VF1, they came very close to do it but they didn't do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi guys, yesterday I watched very carefully Macross dyrl and tv series to check the accuracy of tampo printing, canopy shape and position of the seat.
In the attached pics you can see what I mean...
Why did Bandai make these mistakes? Why? These are things they could easily do perfectly! So... Why???

SDF

1254241352_DXVF-1J29.jpg.142fc4734524f6b1a713a69b84f8ecca.jpg759850520_PDVD(32).jpg.d02470b178c3e2f6ef6e08e33d7609ed.jpg293263276_PDVD(134).jpg.8dd9afebca51836c9d8ecd6d31b2ec9b.jpgPDVD_001.jpg.dd872193cbe5f20becc2f4cbcbc4cf34.jpg

DYRL

Untitled-3.jpg.97d0a7353560fa4f796eab0eb803b900.jpgPDVD_023.jpg.de5d715718a0ab9a2a2fadf36b183370.jpgPDVD_025.jpg.436652fc11371a039e9bee798707fdac.jpg

2 hours ago, valar said:

I totally agree with you because I think when they draw the shape of the canopy, the position of the seat or the direction of the prints they take drawings or other things for reference and in this case it seems obvious to me that these are mistakes that they could have been avoidable easly.


Well, Bandai made the kite VERY GINORMOUS in the vain and futile hope you won't notice the other mistakes...

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-Hikaru-5.thumb.jpg.c829a195f700d1781c11424bb5e5c6a2.jpg

comparo-pic above courtesy of anymoon: http://anymoon.com/blog/?p=12016

 

Edited by treatment
wtf forum formatting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m really into this green 1A. Maybe use some of that govt money to put an order in....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chyll2 said:

long time FJ user but first time ordering a web exclusive. Will they immediately tell us if they cant secure the order?

 

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

I have only used them a couple of times and got my order confirmation pretty fast. Never ran into them not being able to secure an order for a web exclusive.

I've had them cancel a web exclusive order on me (Missile Set), but they did it pretty quickly (factoring in the time difference between Japan and here). They processed my request for a quote and asked for payment, then attempted to place the order after I paid, which makes sense. They discovered that they had already hit their ordering limit, imposed by Bandai, so they immediately refunded my payment and explained why. I've ordered a bunch of web exclusive items from them and have never had any issues. They tend to cost about the same, or in this specific case less, than other options like AE and NY. I'm still waiting for confirmation that my order went through. They might have already hit their limit. If so, I'll just do what @Shawn plans to do: wait for it to show up on YAJ or Mandarake for a reasonable price after release. I don't feel like paying AE or NY prices just for the convenience of being able to push the purchase button today. I'm trying to avoid AE at all costs these days, given how they treat their customers.

Edited by Anasazi37

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

 

I've had them cancel a web exclusive order on me (Missile Set), but they did it pretty quickly (factoring in the time difference between Japan and here). They processed my request for a quote and asked for payment, then attempted to place the order after I paid, which makes sense. They discovered that they had already hit their ordering limit, imposed by Bandai, so they immediately refunded my payment and explained why. I've ordered a bunch of web exclusive items from them and have never had any issues. They tend to cost about the same, or in this specific case less, than other options like AE and NY. I'm still waiting for confirmation that order went through. They might have already hit their limit. If so, I'll just do what @Shawn plans to do: wait for it to show up on YAJ or Mandarake for a reasonable price after release. I don't feel like paying AE or NY prices just for the convenience of being able to push the purchase button today.

Same situation for me. Waiting for confirmation from FJ. If not, they will eventually turn up for sale on the internet somewhere. Max VF-1As became quite plentiful with time.

I will wait to see if and when NY ships me my Super/Strike parts before I give them any money again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

@jenius Can you build into your review schedule a comparison of the Skull One?  (Unless it exists and I couldn't find it on anymoon.com.) Would be really cool to reference since it's asked a lot here.

Probably, outline what you think would be most useful and I'll see if I can pull it together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, treatment said:

Just saw this interesting mag-scan posted up at TD:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8121345

223534nr9ml1ul2u9t1tee.jpg.82ceb1f5c6e7c268c03f86acc6808b9e.jpg

 

Interesting as in they airbrushed out the tail-numbering on the upcoming Kaki...

 

:bump:

 

 

Maybe the final product won't have it hence the decal sheet. You apply the wrong modex yourself and blame yourself. Hahahahahaha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Maybe the final product won't have it hence the decal sheet. You apply the wrong modex yourself and blame yourself. Hahahahahaha!

:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m surprised NY came out with such a high price. Not very typical for them and they lost my business on this one. For those that went with FJ, how much did it end up being? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

I’m surprised NY came out with such a high price. Not very typical for them and they lost my business on this one. For those that went with FJ, how much did it end up being? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat @Slave IV. Not worth that much of a mark up IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like many of these places are already showing "Sold Out." Now I have to wonder how reliable they may be with securing all of the orders. Or, are they allotted so many and mark as "Sold out" once that stock depletes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, treatment said:

Just saw this interesting mag-scan posted up at TD:

http://www.toysdaily.com/discuz/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=462993&pid=8121345

223534nr9ml1ul2u9t1tee.jpg.82ceb1f5c6e7c268c03f86acc6808b9e.jpg

 

Interesting as in they airbrushed out the tail-numbering on the upcoming Kaki...

 

:bump:

 

 

Whats with displaying the TV 1J and 1A on the same page as DYRL kaki? Why not use the DYRL Hikkie to be displayed with?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd we don't have an HMR Hayao or Max TV, you think they would have put the less popular colors in that line way before the DX treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Seems like many of these places are already showing "Sold Out." Now I have to wonder how reliable they may be with securing all of the orders. Or, are they allotted so many and mark as "Sold out" once that stock depletes?

As long as the TWE page still has it in stock and the retailers have placed all orders received,  it SHOULD be fine unless it becomes a Kairos fiasco where the retailers have no control over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we're safe here. I think you could probably skip a pre-order and still get this one pretty easy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone dealt with Nin-Nin before? Thoughts, comments concerns? That's where I went to get my pre-order in. Reasonable price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Alphahorizon said:

Anyone dealt with Nin-Nin before? Thoughts, comments concerns? That's where I went to get my pre-order in. Reasonable price.

I preordered a TWE through them a while back. After taking my money, they never delivered and never responded to me ever again. I waited two months after the item released to contact them about it and they just ignored me. They ignored disputed from PayPal too so in the end, I just got my money back and will never use them again. F them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...