Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

2 minutes ago, technoblue said:

I would go bonkers if we got announcements for Roy's TV 1S, and Max and Kaki's TV 1As within the next two years or so. All three would be day one pre-orders from me. B))

I’d be fine with my collection of this line if it was just these 3 more and Max and Milia’s VF-1Js.

25 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

We are just discussing the history of Macross toymaking.....with that said, competition has had nothing to do with improvements in this toymaking niche....Yamato did not have a single competitor when it went from 1/60 VF-1 V1 to 1/48 VF-1 to 1/60 VF-1 V2+......I assume you wouldn't include Toynami since that would be ridiculous...

Why Yamato did what they did is beside the point.  It's not that Bandai influenced Yamato, but the other way around.  The entire point of the conversation was that Bandai raised it's game in the wake of Yamato's entry with the 1/48's.  Otherwise, it never would have happened. 

And the only two players in the field were Yamato and Bandai.  Toynami is and always has been a bit player in this game.  Producing knick knacks to fill out your collection with little odds and ends so you can prove you're more than just a "serious" collector, but have a little bit of fun too.  

24 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Ah, you're where I'm sitting. Never would have thought that the general release VF-1J would be easier to get than the P-Bandai M9 during pre-order night.

What proxy you using for the Gernsback? I'm using FromJapan over here.

[edit] I still can't believe NY limited their preorders for the M9 to the level they sold out within minutes.

Yeah, that less than a minute on N-Y for a p-bandai was BS.  I'm using Fromjapan too.

1 minute ago, MacrossMania said:

Why Yamato did what they did is beside the point.  It's not that Bandai influenced Yamato, but the other way around.  The entire point of the conversation was that Bandai raised it's game in the wake of Yamato's entry with the 1/48's.  Otherwise, it never would have happened. 

And the only two players in the field were Yamato and Bandai.  Toynami is and always has been a bit player in this game.  Producing knick knacks to fill out your collection with little odds and ends so you can prove you're more than just a "serious" collector, but have a little bit of fun too.  

No, that's the whole point.  The position was that only via competition can we get innovation and without it we will somehow get awful Macross toys.  For the most part this is true in most industries.  However, we are dealing with an ultra niche commodity in Macross PT Toys.  Yamato's own innovations, done without any competative pressures, throws this position out the proverbial window.  Yamato has shown that great PT Macross toys are possible without any direct competition.  As for Bandai, it did not "wake up" due to Yamato....it woke up due to there being a new TV show (MF) that would maximize visibility to any potential merchandise, including PT VFs, for maximum profitability potential.  Bandai paid for the show's sponsorship and licenses due to it finally being a profitable means to start making Macross again.  Bandai will be fully capable of producing great Macross PT toys without any direct competition as well. 

With all the new product photos and displays we have seen, do we know how the heat shield is going to be tucked in during transformation?  The HS seems to be the hardest part to get right for the valk to be called a perfect transformation (kansen henkei)....

1 minute ago, rdrunner said:

With all the new product photos and displays we have seen, do we know how the heat shield is going to be tucked in during transformation?  The HS seems to be the hardest part to get right for the valk to be called a perfect transformation (kansen henkei)....

it's almost certain it will be tucked away and perfect transformation at that larger scale. 

prob the only add ons will be the armpit pieces. 

3 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

it's almost certain it will be tucked away and perfect transformation at that larger scale. 

The side covers aren't integrated into the transformation?

Preorders canceled.

4 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

Although it is supposed to be a TV version, adding the correct TV hands to it force it to be a parts-former....good thing I prefer fighter mode

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The VF-1D would be the one I would really be surprised if made....it never got the Yamato 1/48 treatment either...it would be an insta-buy

I would buy multiples of these in a heartbeat if they ever make it in 1/48 scale. 

Yeah, I have the HMR. It's really cool..but small. I know the cost and technical issues of the 1/48 would not be realistic..but it would be fun to see them make one just as a toy show piece.

9 minutes ago, NW86 said:

Yeah, I have the HMR. It's really cool..but small. I know the cost and technical issues of the 1/48 would not be realistic..but it would be fun to see them make one just as a toy show piece.

yeah...but kinda tired of the showpiece teasers that never seem to pan out.....I don't just want to see it, I want a chance to own it....;)

967a18d8.jpg

Losing hope on this one too...

d3c14d8dec2c915f17e6e1408221acad.jpg

2 hours ago, jvmacross said:

yeah...but kinda tired of the showpiece teasers that never seem to pan out.....I don't just want to see it, I want a chance to own it....;)

967a18d8.jpg

Losing hope on this one too...

Besides the size, the only thing that I really like about the piece is the gerwalk joint. This would have been the only fully transformable toy, if ever made, that has concealed gerwalk joint.

Before wanting an entire squadron, I'd like to know if it'll be any good. For now it may seem 'cheap' but when the ¥15000 (or more) impossible to order TWE super parts start being announced it'll soon become clear that they are not selling it at a loss. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but seems that Bandai went from conception/planning to distribution very quickly. Sure, they had that gorgeous 1/35 prototype shown years ago, but that upcoming 1/48 doesn't share any of the detailed aesthetics of that 1/35 teaser. Even though that 1/35 seemed like it already shared lot with the HMR, (just like that 1/48.) it had some really cool details. Stuff that would've been completely feasible to do on a 1/48. Yet they went for a 'safe' design option rather than something truly different. I mean aside from the articulated fingers, little chest/shoulder flaps, limited swivelling waist ( limited as the T-Bar design won't allow for crazy rotation, the wings would get in the way anyway....) and the upper legs extension thingy ( taken from that 1/72 kit.) That's about it in terms of new 'gimmicks'. Would've killed for removable armor plates revealing the internal frame/chassis and whatnot.....and some of the stuff the old 1/48 had....Sure it's gimmicky, but would've been made for a truly unique toy.

I get it, that's not what they're going with this. They want to play the safer "DX HMR" card .'improvement'. And maybe a V2 down the line. I think I'll be long gone when the 'ultimate' VF ever sees the day. Pretty sure they could make one today, but then with nothing to improve upon, it's a not financially sound . Better keep milking it until who knows when rather than give us the ' perfect VF-1'....

Maybe that's where third party could come in....(unlikely due to the extortionate lisensing fees...and the crazy prices that  they'd have to charge, but hey that hasn't stopped 3rd party manufacturers before ) 

In all, not saying it'll be rubbish or anything, but not sure it'll be the second coming of the VF-1. Also odd that a lot people who only swore by 1/60, some even having sold off their 1/48s collection in favour a supposedly more balanced 1/60 collection seem to have forgotten why they sold them off in the first place. I still remember the "they're too big, they don't fit with anything else, not enough room, I want the cash" etc etc. Funny how things can change in 10 days.....I took out my 1/48 VF-1J just for a 'fiddle about' session. Sure, Battroid hasn't aged that well, (it's still far better than plenty other VF-1s around though.......) but the Fighter mode and Gerwalk are both truly excellent. Maybe I'm biased, as after I got all Yamato V1's, I went straight onto 1/48. Bought one and fell in love. Sure I do  love my 1/60 too DX and V2, too but the 1/48 have always been special to me.

Rambling aside (I ramble way too much and don't even think anyone reads what I type....), I want this Bandai 1/48 to be good, even great. But don't want to get my hopes up too much either. Better expect low and be pleasantly surprised than the opposite.....Like that Evolution Toy VF-2SS...:lol:. Although it looks o.k in Battroid, the most important mode (for me at least) Fighter mode, sucked...

I feel that most of this DX VF-1J hype is due to the fact we haven't seen a new 1/60 nor a 1/48 in a while. Once it dies down, the toy released, etc, it's inevitable the knit picking will start in earnest....I thought I'll start early...:lol:

1/48 VF-1D with Hikaru orange flight suit and Minmei would be fantastic. It would be a dream if they included a damaged arm you could part swap. 

Oh no, it's the slippery slope I was worried about! Buying too many hero units!

My wishlist :

• VF-1S TV Hikaru with Super pack (displayed fighter)

• VF-1D (displayed gerwalk, Minmei in hand)

• Long shot : VF-1S Hikaru gerwalk with no arms, busted canopy and Misa rescued from Alaska base. Haha :p

The argument that this will be too big isn't that valid considering the VF-31 is only 1.5CM shorter than the DX VF-1J. If you have room for the whole squadron of Delta then this shouldn't be too much of an issue. :)

http://anymoon.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Bandai-DX-VF-31F-Messer-10.jpg