Jump to content
IXTL

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

Recommended Posts

After an hour of putting together my new YetiStand I put my Strike VF-1S gerwalk mode on it. I then went to clean up my mess only to have my VF-1 take a 3.5' plunge to the floor!  It hadn't been on the shelf for more than 2 minutes when the elbow joint snapped cleanly in half.

The thing went to pieces. Missiles, gun, leg armor and even the unattached legs themselves littered the debris field. Thankfully it doesn't look like anything got broken - at least nothing that I've found yet.

As much as I like the look of YetiStands I will no longer be using it after this. The included stand may be ugly, but it is stable and durable.

Edited by Matt Random

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hope your valk is alright. it was the yeti stand elbow part that broke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, apptt4 said:

hope your valk is alright. it was the yeti stand elbow part that broke?

Yeah, it was the elbow. It broke right along the bend. The break was oriented perpendicular to the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Did you use the washers on both sides? 

Yup. Two metal washers and the rubber washer on all the joints. The break isn't in the joint. It's in the bend of the elbow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bummer and so sorry to hear that. I don't recall hearing this happen before. I've had my Yeti stand for years and have loaded it with all kinds of Valks including big lego projects. Never had an issue with breakage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having just recently started picking up Valks for the first time in a while, I'm still a bit out of the loop.  I've been hunting down DXs and would love to see that line expand as it relates to old school Macross.  

When might we know what Bandai has planned for the DX series?  Is there a certain time of year where they might drop some hints?  Perhaps Tokyo Toy Fair in June?  

Edited by Draykov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

edit

Edited by sqidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Matt Random said:

Yeah, it was the elbow. It broke right along the bend. The break was oriented perpendicular to the ground.

Everything produced has a failure rate. You unfortunately became part of the 1/2%.

One failed elbow does not make the entire product line "junk".

If your brand new car has to go in for a warranty claim do you swear off buying a car from that company ever again? If so you will probably end up buying one car from each manufacturer over your lifetime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Draykov said:

Having just recently started picking up Valks for the first time in a while, I'm still a bit out of the loop.  I've been hunting down DXs and would love to see that line expand as it relates to old school Macross.  

When might we know what Bandai has planned for the DX series?  Is there a certain time of year where they might drop some hints?  Perhaps Tokyo Toy Fair in June?  

From what I understand Bandai usually puts something in the May release slot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The test for a May release is a pre-order announcement either this month-end or early March.

So watch that space!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In DYRL did the VF-1 (they were A's correct) CF's have Super or Super and Strike parts? I've been Googling trying to find screen shots or something but I can't come up with anything.

Are these pics DYRL accurate (aside from the red skulls on the packs)? Strike packs? Or Just Super packs?

Thanks!

76969680_525541788228412_8482697179035891881_n.jpg

macross-robotech-yamato-48-vf-1a-mass_1_001dc2ea22b78a2299938b8f73c56a85.jpg

Edited by sqidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

@sqidd 1A CF’s did have supers In DYRL. They showed them mounting the SP’s in the last battle. 

 

A3C6CD91-4F4A-4DA0-9E01-E05D10E8836A.png

Thank you. How you guys fine this stuff IDK! 

So supers, but not Strikes? 

Is there only one 1/48 Yamato VF-1A Mass Production version? Or is there area DYRL and a SDFM version. And if two versions, what's the difference. Thanks!

So this should be DYRL accurate?

macross-robotech-yamato-48-vf-1a-mass_1_001dc2ea22b78a2299938b8f73c56a85.jpg.41fba7100d00d567dbff870f52d50347.jpg

Edited by sqidd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the 1/60 v2’s had a movie and tv version.  Idk about the 1/48.  The TV version comes with the TV hands, Pilot and the areas are bright white on the valks whereas the movie has more of a off white color. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rogueload said:

I know the 1/60 v2’s had a movie and tv version.  Idk about the 1/48.  The TV version comes with the TV hands, Pilot and the areas are bright white on the valks whereas the movie has more of a off white color. 

Roger that. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah there was a movie and a tv version of the cannon fodders, they have different heads and slightly different paintjobs iirc.

Also those ground crew came with the Yammie destroids, not the cannon fodder,  iirc.  

I like those ground crew better than the gundam crew.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, beatsing said:

yeah there was a movie and a tv version of the cannon fodders, they have different heads and slightly different paintjobs iirc.

Also those ground crew came with the Yammie destroids, not the cannon fodder,  iirc.  

I like those ground crew better than the gundam crew.  

If you're referring to the figs in the picture sqidd posted, I'm pretty sure those are the Hasegawa USAF ground crew (released in both 1/72 and in multiple sets in 1/48 scale back in the 80s).  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0NmumhqQ9iOMioLrZ-xy

 

Edited by Draykov
correcting embedded image links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, sqidd said:

Everything produced has a failure rate. You unfortunately became part of the 1/2%.

One failed elbow does not make the entire product line "junk".

If your brand new car has to go in for a warranty claim do you swear off buying a car from that company ever again? If so you will probably end up buying one car from each manufacturer over your lifetime.

I don't think I said it was junk. I just said I'm not trusting my stuff to it after this. This stuff is too expensive and too hard to replace. So I've decided that for me the safer route is best. Probably not use any stands except for maybe fighter mode. I've been collecting for over 25 years now and this first time I've had something plunge to the floor. Even having lived in earthquake country for 18 years. Silly me should have closed the cabinet door immediately, but my intention was to go back to it to tweak the missiles sitting around the base of the stand after I cleaned up my mess. 

This is not my first Yeti. I have an Alpha that is fine once you get all the balancing and tightening correct. I don't have any elbows in that setup - just three straight joints and generally configured with all the weight directly above the base joint in the center of the stand. The Beta has the base joint toward the back which means that it has to support the weight in a different way that I had always wondered about. That's why I went with the Alpha the first time around. The cool etched kite is why I decided to give the Beta a try.

And yes, if my brand new car had a catastrophic failure that resulted in me crashing - yes, I would swear off the brand. Just like if I ever had any appliances and electronics that caught fire. Unfortunately, with something like a YetiStand most every failure can be catastrophic since each part is essential to the whole. And yes, it is not a life threatening failure, but it can be a costly one. 

I do have to commend Bandai on the durability. I had the strike packs and missiles on it with the gun+strap in hand. Nothing seemed to break. Things popped off, but they all came off in the ways intended. I would be absolutely !$&%! if the valkyrie had broken. Thankfully it seems OK so this is just a lesson learned.

I didn't post this to try to keep people from buying YetiStand nor do I intend to post anything in that thread. I posted more to share my frightening experience of seeing what looked like a shattered DX that proved to be more durable than I expected when I first started looking at the scene. YetiStands make for beautiful displays. Maybe just some cautious advice to sit your new Yeti configuration on the floor or the middle of a table for a day or so to ensure that everything is stable. It does tend to take a couple of tries to get the tightness correct and a fall of a few inches is better than falling a few feet.

Edited by Matt Random

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Matt Random said:

I don't think I said it was junk. I just said I'm not trusting my stuff to it after this. This stuff is too expensive and too hard to replace.

Maybe it's just my industry talking but don't trust=junk. Sorry if I put words in your mouth.

As far as trusting goes there is a very easy solution. Apply some QC (quality control) next time. If you can't break that elbow with your fingers, it won't break with the weight of a Valk. I just tested this on a scale (because I was curious). With only using my thumb and pointing finger I can apply 26lb of force without straining. Granted, I have pretty strong hands. But even half of that is a whole lot more force than a Valk will exert on the part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey @sqidd I'm not sure it got fully answered. But the CF's in DYRL only had supers . Not strikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Hey @sqidd I'm not sure it got fully answered. But the CF's in DYRL only had supers . Not strikes.

Thanks!:hi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have many Yeti stands and never had a problem with the acrylic breaking. Sorry to hear you got the rare bad apple. If you contact Yeti I'm sure he will replace any defective parts free of charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sqidd said:

Thank you. How you guys fine this stuff IDK! 

So supers, but not Strikes? 

Is there only one 1/48 Yamato VF-1A Mass Production version? Or is there area DYRL and a SDFM version. And if two versions, what's the difference. Thanks!

So this should be DYRL accurate?

macross-robotech-yamato-48-vf-1a-mass_1_001dc2ea22b78a2299938b8f73c56a85.jpg.41fba7100d00d567dbff870f52d50347.jpg

The Yamato 1/48 was always an amalgamation of both TV and DYRL types. The colors were never consistent with one or the other. But because of the head and arms this was always considered a DYRL version.

Yamato later on rectified the inconsistencies and created a ndividual representations of each in the 1/60 V2 line.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from getting YetiStands. I'm not saying it is a bad product or implying it is inferior.

I'm just relating my heart stopping experience. In fact, after putting the gerwalk on the Bandai stand I decided to skip the stand and not push my luck for the time being.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Draykov said:

If you're referring to the figs in the picture sqidd posted, I'm pretty sure those are the Hasegawa USAF ground crew (released in both 1/72 and in multiple sets in 1/48 scale back in the 80s).  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0NmumhqQ9iOMioLrZ-xy

 

I stand corrected.  These look pretty good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, beatsing said:

These look pretty good.

Depends on your skill with a paintbrush...  :unsure:

unpainted.thumb.jpg.094a4dd147dd9137e4825404ae351e12.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this is common knowledge yet, or if maybe I have incorrectly identified what's being displayed here, but it would seem that all of the VF-1As from DYRL Skull Squadron (Hikaru 011, Kakizaki 012, Max 013) are potentially going to receive the Bandai DX treatment. The swap-able squadron emblems in the Bandai DX Super/Strike pack kinda tipped that hand, however. 

 

Edited by Draykov
Corrected typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Waiting for the next DX VF-1 pre-orders as no one is biting on the three available DXs that are up on Manda for now.

Got save the funds for either DX Roy 1s/DX YF-21/ or whatever the next HMR will be, then pre-order madness begins again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Draykov said:

Not sure if this is common knowledge yet, or if maybe I have incorrectly identified what's being displayed here, but it would seem that all of the VF-1As from DYRL Skull Squadron (Hikaru 011, Kakizaki 012, Max 013) are potentially going to receive the Bandai DX treatment.

These are amazing. I only hope it's not another tease!

 

4 hours ago, Draykov said:

The swap-able squadron emblems in the Bandai DX Super/Strike pack kinda tipped that hand, however.

I'd say more like these were a strong clue..;)6D3544A6-63DC-48C4-A578-2EA6AEAB078A.png.b8678c0ef638dc1e6df39df161747458.pngCF52FDF3-E6AD-4FF4-B67E-F99C246FB4DF.png.be1ff2fc4cb0b03ff1748a1ad0483468.png

It also says their names on the canopies. And the VF's are colored appropriately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I'd say more like these were a strong clue..;)

Oh, absolutely this lends more credence to it.  Of course, they also say "display only" as opposed to the proposed release dates visible on the missle set and FAST pack reissues...

Bandaireleasedates.jpg.667dc14bbf302584f89508801701d8c6.jpg

...so their future release is not 100% confirmed. 

What I meant by "tipping their hand" was that the Tamashii Web Exclusive Super/Strike pack that was already released includes squadron emblems for green 012 and blue 013.  I'm assuming that release and the inclusion of those emblems pre-date this video showing the actual Valks.  In my case, anyway, I had seen the contents of the FAST pack set prior to the VF-1As seen in the display in this video.  My point being, even without the video, there were signs that more DYRL VF-1As were in the pipe.  

Edited by Draykov
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely a nice reminder and also stokes the debate on where the Hikkie 1A Strike Parts are coming from because bus 011 is not included in the Strike set. I’m guessing a TWE bundle.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Definitely a nice reminder and also stokes the debate on where the Hikkie 1A Strike Parts are coming from because bus 011 is not included in the Strike set. I’m guessing a TWE bundle.

They will make it # 110

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...