Jump to content
IXTL

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

Recommended Posts

Mmm. So you're saying many well lit display cabinets  are possibly coffins?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Mmm. So you're saying many well lit display cabinets  are possibly coffins?

Oh yeah.  Fluorescent can also have a lot of UV depending on the phosphors used or if they are old and the phosphor is damaged.  Your best cheap option is warm white LEDs or fluorescent.  Your best expensive option is RGB (or more than 3 colors is best) LED lighting (usually the type that change colors) set to display white light by mixing.  But that can cause colors do display oddly, although it makes a great rainbow shadow effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Unless you are using a specific light that doesn't have it, if you are lighting your toys with white light, they are still getting hit with some UV, maybe even a lot.

Warm white LEDs have very little UV, but I see a lot of displays with very blue, cool white lighting which has more.  And if you're using halogen, those are a significant source of UV.

I switched out all of my LED's to warm white/240lm (they're darn near yellow compared to the white lights). Not because I had thought of UV output (I should have). But because the white was just way too much. I've got I think 40 total LED bulbs. With white lights my office was like the center of the sun!8)

This is what I went with. Any thoughts? I certainly don't want to cook my toys. Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HA130R6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

2 minutes ago, Bolt said:

Mmm. So you're saying many well lit display cabinets  are possibly coffins?

I think that's how Dr Manhattan was made.:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Oh yeah.  Fluorescent can also have a lot of UV depending on the phosphors used or if they are old and the phosphor is damaged.  Your best cheap option is warm white LEDs or fluorescent.  Your best expensive option is RGB (or more than 3 colors is best) LED lighting (usually the type that change colors) set to display white light by mixing.  But that can cause colors do display oddly, although it makes a great rainbow shadow effect.

Interesting. My fixtures are for MR-11 bulbs. I just did a Google and didn't get anything in a MR-11 RGB. Can you maybe point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pontus said:

They're warm white LEDs, so that should be good. 

Thank you sir. Between just finding out Iran shot off all the missiles (and then finding out a little later they didn't really hit anything) and the potential of cooking my toys I was about to get stressed.:D

So it appears no WWIII and no cooked toys. It should be a good day today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Interesting. My fixtures are for MR-11 bulbs. I just did a Google and didn't get anything in a MR-11 RGB. Can you maybe point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I was referring to products meant for theatre or architectural display, but the RGB LED color changing tape lights sold on Amazon might work.  You could stick them up in the corners of the display frame.  I don't think they make a MR-11 color changing bulb because it's too small and only has positive and ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Thank you sir. Between just finding out Iran shot off all the missiles (and then finding out a little later they didn't really hit anything) and the potential of cooking my toys I was about to get stressed.:D

So it appears no WWIII and no cooked toys. It should be a good day today.

LMAO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Thank you sir. Between just finding out Iran shot off all the missiles (and then finding out a little later they didn't really hit anything) and the potential of cooking my toys I was about to get stressed.:D

So it appears no WWIII and no cooked toys. It should be a good day today.

When you get drafted, I volunteer to look after your collections. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crackpot said:

When you get drafted, I volunteer to look after your collections. 

:rofl: you're so kind!

when i take the subway to Venus , dragging a wagon full of Macross models, you can have what doesn't fit;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bolt said:

:rofl: you're so kind!

when i take the subway to Venus , dragging a wagon full of Macross models, you can have what doesn't fit;)

:spiteful:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, now I'm looking into UV films to stick over my bulbs, because no way in hell I'm going back to "soft white" from "sunlight" LEDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

https://oeo.com/led-lights-emit-uv-radiation/

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lolicon said:

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

https://oeo.com/led-lights-emit-uv-radiation/

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

I was just about to post something similar. Most museums use LED because of this and if it is good enough that they think it is safe for ancient relics, it's good enough for me.

https://www.premierltg.com/do-led-lights-produce-uv-led-tanning-beds/ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll throw this in as well:  When looking at how to whiten old plastic toys (i.e. Matchbox SDF-1), the UV light is what activates the ingredients (i.e. developer) and whitens the toy.  Researching it, I found there are UV LED lights you can purchase and use for this process instead of direct sunlight.

The point is that these are specific UV LED lights.  Regular LED won't work and don't give off UV.  An example of ones that do are for growing plants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pontus said:

I was referring to products meant for theatre or architectural display, but the RGB LED color changing tape lights sold on Amazon might work.  You could stick them up in the corners of the display frame.  I don't think they make a MR-11 color changing bulb because it's too small and only has positive and ground.

Roger dodger, thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

https://oeo.com/led-lights-emit-uv-radiation/

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

Well played sir, well played.:hi:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I'll throw this in as well:  When looking at how to whiten old plastic toys (i.e. Matchbox SDF-1), the UV light is what activates the ingredients (i.e. developer) and whitens the toy.  Researching it, I found there are UV LED lights you can purchase and use for this process instead of direct sunlight.

The point is that these are specific UV LED lights.  Regular LED won't work and don't give off UV.  An example of ones that do are for growing plants.

Eh, the specialty UV LEDs (we use some where I work) are some pretty severe UV. Very high amounts, to the point they require UV filtering eyewear and at least one needed a heatsink due to the wattage it was using.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Eh, the specialty UV LEDs (we use dome where I work) are some pretty severe UV. Very high amounts, to the point they require UV filtering eyewear and at least one needed a heatsink due to the wattage it was using.

Yeah, I don't use artificial UV LEDs to whiten.  Good 'ole sun works just fine haha. 8)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Yeah, I don't use artificial UV LEDs to whiten.  Good 'ole sun works just fine haha. 8)

Ever since the beginning of time we started collecting plastic toys, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

681870156_Eversincethebeginningoftimemanhasyearnedtodestroythesun.gif.af263c385eaba55ae6882a677ba38ca4.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Ever since the beginning of time we started collecting plastic toys, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

681870156_Eversincethebeginningoftimemanhasyearnedtodestroythesun.gif.af263c385eaba55ae6882a677ba38ca4.gif

LMAO, very apropos.  It's ironic that the very thing we hide our Valks from is the thing we bask it in if a vintage item is already yellowed.  (I'm actually doing it right now on a Mini-SDF-1 that I got off of Robotech.com a month or so ago.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, beatsing said:

Or maybe a fertility idol since there's a female image (Minmay) that's associated with all these crude objects that roughly resemble the human body form (battroid), a chicken(gerwalk), and an arrow(fighter).  Notice how the "Yamato" doll has an exaggerated large phallus.  We think these were for rituals for fertility.  

Good point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, sqidd said:

Absolutely fantastic my good man! That was exactly what I was looking for.:hi:

 

I rarely get to put that education to good use these days

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My toys that aren't in direct sunlight haven't yellowed much.  I also use this UV light spray, you can buy it at model stores mr super clear uv or flat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Lolicon said:

One of many articles that come up when you Google "Do LED bulbs generate UV light?"

https://oeo.com/led-lights-emit-uv-radiation/

For the majority of LED light bulbs, in industrial applications and otherwise, they do not give off UV radiation. In earlier incarnations of LED lighting the reason they did not emit UV radiation was their inability to give off white light. However, since the advent of white light LEDs, this has changed. White light LED bulbs are created by coating brilliant blue LEDs in phosphor. This allows the blue to be absorbed and only allow the white to come through.

Although most types of LED lighting do not emit any UV light, brilliant blues do emit a small amount. However, the phosphor reduces this to such a small fraction of the already small amount, the amount emitted is essentially negligible. There is no need for a filter and this is why they are used in many environments where photosensitivity is a concern.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my misleading info.  I read "a small amount" and thought that having even a small amount would add up over time in a display cabinet that's lit much of the time.  But I just checked with my lighting engineer who said the fact that they use them in museums is testament to how little they put out.  So LEDs are great, although I usually hate LED lighting because the light is usually very limited to certain bands of color which hurts my eyes.  High CRI (color rendering index) bulbs don't bother me, so I go out of my way to find them.  My favorite right now are the Cree brand that they sell at Home Despot.  Most other brands don't even list the CRI rating anymore, but it's an important factor in buying LED lights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pontus said:

Thanks for the clarification and sorry for my misleading info.  I read "a small amount" and thought that having even a small amount would add up over time in a display cabinet that's lit much of the time.  But I just checked with my lighting engineer who said the fact that they use them in museums is testament to how little they put out.  So LEDs are great, although I usually hate LED lighting because the light is usually very limited to certain bands of color which hurts my eyes.  High CRI (color rendering index) bulbs don't bother me, so I go out of my way to find them.  My favorite right now are the Cree brand that they sell at Home Despot.  Most other brands don't even list the CRI rating anymore, but it's an important factor in buying LED lights.

LED's are sooooo complicated. I had to put LED drivers in two of my cabs then get bulbs that didn't hurt my eyes. I started knowing nothing of LED's. By the time I was done I've got an "associates" degree in it. I really didn't want to know that much!:D

Now CRI ratings, sheesh!:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sqidd said:

LED's are sooooo complicated. I had to put LED drivers in two of my cabs then get bulbs that didn't hurt my eyes. I started knowing nothing of LED's. By the time I was done I've got an "associates" degree in it. I really didn't want to know that much!:D

Now CRI ratings, sheesh!:rofl:

CRI is probably the most important factor when buying white LEDs, especially for display.  But most bulbs don't list it because it's a direct number that pretty much indicates quality that they have skimped on.  If you look at the individual LED driver components that they make bulbs with, CRI is required in the data sheet for engineering.  The best LEDs are made by Cree and Philips, but there's a lot of chinese producers making cheap ones that get used in most LED bulbs.  Frankly, I think cheap white LEDs are dangerous because, if you look at just one frequency of light, it can harm your retina because, in order to get enough light in fewer frequencies, it has to be a lot brighter in those frequencies than your eyes are telling you it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After two to three pages of comparison, quality, fertility, and LEDs... now my head hurts. :sorry:

 

 

Kidding aside, it’s great to read these info. :good:

 

 

C’mon Bandai, when is your next PO sched? Make it Hikaru’s VF-1A so that I’m done with this line. :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use to think that the 1S’s were the cool valk. But I think I switched to thinking the 1A is cooler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

C’mon Bandai, when is your next PO sched?

Duuuude.  I was just thinking the same and about to post/whine about it.  I'm jones'ing.  I NEED MY FIX!  Been too long since I've been pissed off on PO night.  Plus, I'm getting ready for the drinking game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

Duuuude.  I was just thinking the same and about to post/whine about it.  I'm jones'ing.  I NEED MY FIX!  Been too long since I've been pissed off on PO night.  Plus, I'm getting ready for the drinking game.

Hahaha! :lol: It's funny that I whine that knowing that I just spent some amount on WuMing Freedom and a DMZ Scopedog. I told myself not to spend too much since I'm preparing myself on the upcoming Legioss and if ever Bandai decided to really release the DXSoC Voltes V. Just wish that these will get released soon before there will be a new Macross series. :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, ErikElvis said:

I use to think that the 1S’s were the cool valk. But I think I switched to thinking the 1A is cooler. 

Agreed. I didn't like the 1A before until Hikaru's DYRL 1A. ^_^ 

Like their HMR VF-1D, it would be nice if it comes with a Minmay figure to recreate this:

965338281_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_15.jpg.868cbcab018bcdb0567fe06881b3555b.jpg

580724213_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_16.jpg.6b03fc3b4bcca9b34b6e6e0ab7f0c4f7.jpg

617753446_ScreenShot2020-01-09at9_19.jpg.57fa834b7e0053057ed22a8b4bd77433.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

C’mon Bandai, when is your next PO sched? Make it Hikaru’s VF-1A so that I’m done with this line. :rolleyes:

best shelf warmer ever. then Kaki.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

best shelf warmer ever. then Kaki.

 

I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1A. B))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

best shelf warmer ever. then Kaki.

I don't think it's going to happen in this line. ;) 

1 minute ago, 505thAirborne said:

I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1A. B))

And I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1J as well. They already have the molds. All they need now is to paint it brown. 8)

Who knows, maybe this time, I might consider buying that beyond from my planned exclusive Hikaru's DX VF-1's. :rolleyes:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

And I want to see Bandai do the Cannon Fodder VF-1J as well. They already have the molds. All they need now is to paint it brown. 8)

Who knows, maybe this time, I might consider buying that beyond from my planned exclusive Hikaru's DX VF-1's. :rolleyes:

 

I'd get a VF-1J CF if they make it. ;)

If for some crazy reason Bandai should do an Angel Bird & Cavaliers, then that would be it for me with this DX line, I have everything else I want with the Yamato 1/48's. B))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...