Jump to content
IXTL

Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

Recommended Posts

The anime paint scheme looks great.  I think he could make more money doing it on HMR.  People would do their whole collection and it would be a bit cheaper per piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, sqidd said:

As soon as I get S&S parts for the 1S DX's I'm sending two to him to get worked. One as a Focker and one as a G1 JetFire.:yahoo:

Please post pictures especially of the one with the jetfire paint job :hail:

Edit: I just watched a video on why Jetfire was a Valk this year. The history of Macross/Robotech and merch is crazy!

Edited by Syro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Syro said:

Please post pictures especially of the one with the jetfire paint job :hail:

Edit: I just watched a video on why Jetfire was a Valk this year. The history of Macross/Robotech and merch is crazy!

Oh, I'll be posting pics.:good:

 

Have you seen the Transformers episode of The Toys That Made Us?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sh9000 said:

Where are the VF-1J's side covers?

In its box. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Saburo said:

Thank you @505thAirborne!

I am curious on how they will release the Roy's VF-1S.  Seeing that the DYRL has some different and extra tampo compared to the SDFM. I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai were release a SDFM and a DYRL version.

Yes, multiple Roys so we can get the toy at MSRP.

That cel shaded Max really breaks up the plain white. nice mod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked my vf1s dx that i got from hlj the other night. Glad to report, nothing noticeably missing, cracked/broken.. although I didn't transform it completely. There was a slight gap by the wing root on the left side as if a screw wasnt completely fasten down or the two halves mightve been slightly mis-aligned causing the 1mm gap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Oh, I'll be posting pics.:good:

 

Have you seen the Transformers episode of The Toys That Made Us?

No :o but now I need to watch that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now. :rolleyes:

242959244_DXVF-1SHikaru001.jpg.c54136ebaf954329c572da27274a0dfc.jpg

1801145651_DXVF-1SHikaru002.jpg.eac44284d4ae290c40fb6545e3b36c20.jpg

643050245_DXVF-1SHikaru003.jpg.c333a16b52b34a7d0a94f29a1483e2da.jpg

296094425_DXVF-1SHikaru004.jpg.7e845f2b39d201a02f40a87ee8cf8b1b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Saburo said:

I am curious on how they will release the Roy's VF-1S.  Seeing that the DYRL has some different and extra tampo compared to the SDFM. I wouldn't be surprised if Bandai were release a SDFM and a DYRL version.

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll release both TV and DYRL versions of Roy's VF-1S. Maybe even a third one with Hikaru's tampo on it, even if it is just a difference in marking. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to sell the same figure several times.

I'd like to get at least one of 'em, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Drad said:

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll release both TV and DYRL versions of Roy's VF-1S. Maybe even a third one with Hikaru's tampo on it, even if it is just a difference in marking. Maybe I'm a cynic, but I don't think they'd pass up the opportunity to sell the same figure several times.

I'd like to get at least one of 'em, though.

We all think the same until Bandai does what the unthinkable (yf-30 schemes)

 

@Lolicon

Impressive work and that plastic cover of that base really diffuses the light. Looks real good for a phone cam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Take note that the preorder for the Strike Parts (April batch) will be closing soon.

IMG_20191210_183942.jpg

Closing Date: 22nd Dec 2019 11pm Japan Time.

Edited by Tenbatsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now.

Photos are looking good!  I need to get some better lighting for my shots.

Oh and the detailing is nice too :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now. :rolleyes:

242959244_DXVF-1SHikaru001.jpg.c54136ebaf954329c572da27274a0dfc.jpg

1801145651_DXVF-1SHikaru002.jpg.eac44284d4ae290c40fb6545e3b36c20.jpg

643050245_DXVF-1SHikaru003.jpg.c333a16b52b34a7d0a94f29a1483e2da.jpg

296094425_DXVF-1SHikaru004.jpg.7e845f2b39d201a02f40a87ee8cf8b1b.jpg

Looks sharp! What did you add besides the Skulls behind the cockpit?  (I am at work and don't have my toy onhand to compare)

I don;t remember the triangle warning below the cockpit being on the toy but it could be foggy memory.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, sqidd said:

For the amount of work/talent that goes into something like that I think it's a bargain. That's about $20/hr. High skill labor like this is usually a LOT more per hour. When I was doing suspension tuning (race car stuff) I was $250/hr. plus expenses (travel was usually involved). Good tattoo artists charge $100-200/hr. Heck, your local car dealer charges $100/hr+ in labor to just change parts (zero creativity factor).

Still yowza though.:p

 

That's gorgeous!

The price is a lot of money, but certainly for the amount of hours that goes into it, its probably fairer to the customer than the artist. (I don't do a lot of art for commission for that reason... too much of a perfectionist to break even!)

I wonder what kind of paints LEK uses. I'm guessing if he hasn't found some magic elixir these can't be transformed much without serious damage. And if he HAS.. man I'd like to know what kind so I could repaint my yellowed Yamatos!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm....I'm 7030XX and still NY hasn't filled my order...I really hate dealing with NY.  I swore them off after the VF-31A fiasco, but was swayed that that was just a one off and they always come through.  We'll see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chyll2 said:

Impressive work and that plastic cover of that base really diffuses the light. Looks real good for a phone cam

Thanks! I'll try to break out the DSLR and tripod later if I have time. :)

 

3 hours ago, sumyumgoy said:

Photos are looking good!  I need to get some better lighting for my shots.

Oh and the detailing is nice too :lol:

Me too. My lighting is still fairly primitive (some tracing paper taped over some desk lamps). :lol:

 

2 hours ago, lavinrac said:

Looks sharp! What did you add besides the Skulls behind the cockpit?  (I am at work and don't have my toy onhand to compare)

I don;t remember the triangle warning below the cockpit being on the toy but it could be foggy memory.

Bandai added the ejection seat tampo for this release, finally. Aside from the skulls, there's just a few miscellaneous details that the Arcadia has but Bandai skipped on their releases, like jack points that are actually underneath the aircraft. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Bandai added the ejection seat tampo for this release, finally. Aside from the skulls, there's just a few miscellaneous details that the Arcadia has but Bandai skipped on their releases, like jack points that are actually underneath the aircraft. :rolleyes:

For the small skull tampo near the pilot, what did you use? Decal from a Hasegawa kit or something else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting on my strike parts arriving at FJ, once they do I can finally ship the November stuff as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Still waiting on my strike parts arriving at FJ, once they do I can finally ship the November stuff as well.

Strike parts started shipping?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, crackpot said:

For the small skull tampo near the pilot, what did you use? Decal from a Hasegawa kit or something else?

The skull came off a third party grey market decal sheet I got from ebay. There's tons of such decals available on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

For the ones who were wondering; just got confirmation of shipping at NY. 

It took them this long to ship it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

The skull came off a third party grey market decal sheet I got from ebay. There's tons of such decals available on there.

Thank you. I'll look into it. 

 

5 minutes ago, 007-vf1 said:

 

For the ones who were wondering; just got confirmation of shipping at NY. 

It took them this long to ship it.

They finally got funding from the 0D PF payments to get you your DX1S. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Strike parts started shipping?

Ah, thought someone was getting a prep email from NY, it was just another VF-1S. My mistake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Touched up my Hikaru 1S a bit since it was still missing some important details.

Phone pics for now. :rolleyes:

242959244_DXVF-1SHikaru001.jpg.c54136ebaf954329c572da27274a0dfc.jpg

1801145651_DXVF-1SHikaru002.jpg.eac44284d4ae290c40fb6545e3b36c20.jpg

643050245_DXVF-1SHikaru003.jpg.c333a16b52b34a7d0a94f29a1483e2da.jpg

296094425_DXVF-1SHikaru004.jpg.7e845f2b39d201a02f40a87ee8cf8b1b.jpg

Great shots Lolicon!  What a difference it makes to have the gears in white.  Might I suggest you painting that shock struct bright chromed silver, it does take it to the next level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Ah, thought someone was getting a prep email from NY, it was just another VF-1S. My mistake.

I was getting excited for a second there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpaceCowboy said:

Hmm....I'm 7030XX and still NY hasn't filled my order...I really hate dealing with NY.  I swore them off after the VF-31A fiasco, but was swayed that that was just a one off and they always come through.  We'll see...

I was at 703XXXX as well, Mine went into preparing shipment this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wm cheng said:

Great shots Lolicon!  What a difference it makes to have the gears in white.  Might I suggest you painting that shock struct bright chromed silver, it does take it to the next level.

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

I don't have a DX to know what's possible here, but I had the same problem with my Aliens Cat Power Loader.  The hydraulics looked awful because they used really crummy silver paint (which they then tried to "weather" the same as the rest of it... which also sucked).  I took it apart and am looking for some shiny wire or rods to replace the pistons.  My local hobby store had some nice, shiny aluminum wire but it wasn't big enough.  It would have been great for this application though... if you don't mind hacking up your DX a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pontus said:

I don't have a DX to know what's possible here, but I had the same problem with my Aliens Cat Power Loader.  The hydraulics looked awful because they used really crummy silver paint (which they then tried to "weather" the same as the rest of it... which also sucked).  I took it apart and am looking for some shiny wire or rods to replace the pistons.  My local hobby store had some nice, shiny aluminum wire but it wasn't big enough.  It would have been great for this application though... if you don't mind hacking up your DX a bit.

The landing gear is one solid diecast piece aside from the wheels and tow bar, so no I won't be cutting or hacking anything apart lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

Give Molotow Liquid Chrome a shot. I use it when building models, and it'll actually come out a very nice chrome.

Unfortunately it dries slow and is damaged easily, so best used in areas that aren't touched.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pontus said:

I don't have a DX to know what's possible here, but I had the same problem with my Aliens Cat Power Loader.  The hydraulics looked awful because they used really crummy silver paint (which they then tried to "weather" the same as the rest of it... which also sucked).  I took it apart and am looking for some shiny wire or rods to replace the pistons.  My local hobby store had some nice, shiny aluminum wire but it wasn't big enough.  It would have been great for this application though... if you don't mind hacking up your DX a bit.

You need hydraulic pistons/shafts for that power loader? PM me some dimensions. I may be able to make you some out of stainless steel. Then you can polish them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

I will as soon as I get some silver paint that's actually silver and not glitter. Tamiya silver kinda sucks haha

I use the Tamiya silver paint marker, I push down on it to retract the felt tip to get a pool going in a plastic lid, then dip my brush in it to paint from it (its a lacquer so you can thin it if you need to, but its a very smooth chrome finish without any visible glitter speckles).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow that white landing gear really makes a gigantic difference. I am personally not a fan of the gray metal they chose. Really makes the valks pop again in fighter mode. Thank you for showing us what was possible!

S

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...