Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

Hate to say it, but, unless you really are a cat (or, at least, have the uterus of one), or my math is wrong (like it usually is) you might be too late on that goal.  Keep working hard, though.  I'm sure your husband thanks you for it.

I think your math might be wrong.

Assuming an average of 9 months for the actual pregnancy, then I have about 7 months to get pregnant if I want to give birth by the time I hit 30.

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I have just always thought...closed in Battroid....opened for fighter and gerwalk...closed for any mode in space...

There are entire sequences, such as when Max and Millia are dogfighting in episode 18 , in which every scene seems to show Max's VF-1A in Battroid with it's covers fully closed yet his engines are clearly engaged....but when not flying in space...the covers are open for both fighter and gerwalk modes...unless it is transforming from either mode into Battroid, they seem to always just be closed in Battroid when on the ground or flying about...

@Seto Kaiba could probably provide the "in-universe" explanation as to when the covers should actually be on/off...

Agreed.  I only forgot to take off the intake covers to a HMR once for Gerwalk mode.

8 hours ago, jenius said:

Nice half Gerwalk pose.

6 hours ago, jvmacross said:

I have just always thought...closed in Battroid....opened for fighter and gerwalk...closed for any mode in space...

There are entire sequences, such as when Max and Millia are dogfighting in episode 18 , in which every scene seems to show Max's VF-1A in Battroid with it's covers fully closed yet his engines are clearly engaged....but when not flying in space...the covers are open for both fighter and gerwalk modes...unless it is transforming from either mode into Battroid, they seem to always just be closed in Battroid when on the ground or flying about...

@Seto Kaiba could probably provide the "in-universe" explanation as to when the covers should actually be on/off...

I could!

So... the variable intake ramp used on Variable Fighters is used in a couple of different ways.

image.thumb.png.10a92f4ed13fc94d4cbc74c4ad8be955.pngimage.thumb.png.10a92f4ed13fc94d4cbc74c4ad8be955.png

At subsonic speeds (far left), the variable intake ramp is stored up out of the way to allow maximum subsonic airflow into the superconducting ram-air pre-compressor stage in the VF's "hips".  (That pre-compressor is not actually part of the engine itself, which resides entirely in the VF's leg below the knee.)

At supersonic speeds (center left), the variable intake ramp can be lowered to various positions in order to deflect the supersonic intake airflow into the pre-compressor and engine body.  This produces shockwaves at the intake that slow the incoming air down, dramatically increasing the air pressure at the intake.

In Battroid mode or in space (center right), the variable intake ramp can be fully closed.  On the ground, this is done to protect the pre-compressor and engine from ingesting any dust and debris that might be kicked up during ground ops.  In space, it's done to protect the inactive pre-compressor.  Variable Fighter Master File asserts that VF-1s outfitted to operate exclusively in space sometimes installed additional (removable) fuel tanks in the space between the sealed intake ramp and the pre-compressor.

In the event that a Battroid should need to use its engines for something other than an electrical generator, the variable intake ramp can also open (far right) like a set of blinds to provide a modicum of protection from debris while still allowing subsonic airflow into the engine.

Page 061 of Variable Fighter Master File: VF-1S Roy Focker Special has a diagram that shows how the intake ramps are used to adjust airflow in those first two cases.

You can see the fourth case in this scene from Macross Zero:

Edited by Seto Kaiba

44 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Gone already, :/

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Bought a second Roy since I was buying some other stuff from Amazon, which helped offset the cost by combining shipping. Needed a second one for the upcoming super parts. :blink:

>_>

Edited by MWUser

16 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Says two available as I type this. 

Screenshot_20201213-211457_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8079bb1b18d64a5d4d4bc6829a18b09f.jpg

Yea, available at 30k Yen+3k Yen shipping NOT the earlier 27.2k Yen+3k Yen shipping; I followed up about 15 minutes after his original post, and it (@27.2k Yen+3k Yen shipping) was gone already. :/

Edited by MWUser

Truly, You're 1-in-a-million @Shizuka the Cat... good luck with all the "work":rofl:

5 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Though, I have not decided yet if I will have my kids inherit my Macross toys, or if I will have them buried with me.

Viking Funeral FTW, but if your kid(s) do end up loving Macross, maybe just take one or two Valks with you...

Edited by slide

5 hours ago, Shizuka the Cat said:

Because we waited for me to finish my PhD before getting married, I am already only 4 months away from hitting 29. 

I really want to have kids before I hit 30.

Hence, we are putting in a lot of work in. It gives us something to do while we stay indoors during the pandemic.

And yes, I will teach my kids to love valkyries and super dimensional fortresses!

Though, I have not decided yet if I will have my kids inherit my Macross toys, or if I will have them buried with me.

Hey @Shizuka the Cat. Naming them after some of your favorite characters is part of the plan too? ;) 

8 hours ago, jenius said:

Ooh also, I liked this intro shot for the article:

Bandai-DX-VF-1S-TV-Roy-11.jpg

Love the shot, @jenius! :wub:

10 hours ago, MWUser said:

I don't know if you have them, but before paint correction and after paint correction pics would be appreciated for comparison.

Hey @MWUser, unfortunately I did not take any before & after photos. I shall do so in the future as I am certain there will be a plenty more paint defects and assembly mishaps to follow from Bandai. Took these instead as I am done with Roy Focker;

4DEEB0DE-339C-49A8-8805-5C088395C41A.thumb.jpeg.f1c4dead160035824c629ece5c6a2358.jpeg

C5EA29C6-2DB2-422C-934D-3971C3E5D4F9.thumb.jpeg.94b2f010891876a29d5e696a997fca1a.jpeg

Don’t mind Roy in non space suit. This will do until DYRL Roy gets released. :ph34r:

21 minutes ago, Angesdad said:

Hey @MWUser, unfortunately I did not take any before & after photos. I shall do so in the future as I am certain there will be a plenty more paint defects and assembly mishaps to follow from Bandai. Took these instead as I am done with Roy Focker;

4DEEB0DE-339C-49A8-8805-5C088395C41A.thumb.jpeg.f1c4dead160035824c629ece5c6a2358.jpeg

C5EA29C6-2DB2-422C-934D-3971C3E5D4F9.thumb.jpeg.94b2f010891876a29d5e696a997fca1a.jpeg

Don’t mind Roy in non space suit. This will do until DYRL Roy gets released. :ph34r:

Looking good! I should have some time this weekend to fix my Roy a bit. 

There's one screw up on mine that annoys me. It's the BEWARE OF BLAST tampo near the feet. On one of the prints, the top half of the text is in the right spot, but the bottom half is off, like the dude pulled the leg out of the tampo machine before it was done. I should take a pic of it when I get home. 

I'll probably have to strip them on both legs and replace them with decals. 

Fantastic job, Bandai. 

1 hour ago, sh9000 said:

I added Tamashii stand connector parts to attach the DX adapter and hold the Valkyrie in place.

Hmm cant quite picture it. Do you have a wider different angle pic so i can understand better? 

Thanks again for any pointers...

Edited by seti88

Now that I think of it I wish that the DX TV Focker release would have come with "cartoon skulls" on a supplemental decal sheet. It would be nice to have the option of making them "full cartoon". Especialy considering there will most likely be a movie version with the newer "mean skulls'.

892796648_Focker1.thumb.jpg.14f95cdaf6b594ad9f501668766d14f4.jpg

1272955603_Focker3.thumb.png.a81d1be42fa38eeb83791fe8daa083fd.png

10 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey @Shizuka the Cat. Naming them after some of your favorite characters is part of the plan too? ;) 

If I have a daughter, I like the name "Valkyrie".

My grandparents on my dad's paternal side also want our children to have Korean given names. My grandparents on my mom's maternal side want our children to have Japanese given names too.

I swear, I think our kids will each end up having like 6 names when all is said and done.

Edited by Shizuka the Cat

For something that size, I'd probably scrape off the lower smudge with an exacto and call it a day.  The main marking doesn't look that badly fudged that it wouldn't pass as normal wear and tear, at least to my eye.

I think trying to remove the flaw with alcohol/thinner/some other liquid would be too hard to do without goofing up the rest of the paint in the vicinity.

7 hours ago, seti88 said:

Hmm cant quite picture it. Do you have a wider different angle pic so i can understand better? 

Thanks again for any pointers...

B6970122-E2E5-488E-A2E3-74A8BC5E3150.thumb.jpeg.26e35e3a5f15f908a01e1a60fb7c9f26.jpeg

1 upside down connector that the DX adapter sits on and 2 upside down stand arms that peg into the DX hand ports for stabiity.  It’s not as elegant looking but it is completely clear and gets the job done.