Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

3 minutes ago, Drad said:

I knew that. I mean the little black badge shape with the skull on it, that sits slightly behind the canopy on the fuselage. Thought those were movie only.

Yeah, that was definitely just a movie thing, something strangely missing from the Hikki 1S and the Kakizaki 1A.

Opened my 1S and played with it a bit. It's fine. I'm glad I have one, but not super stoked or anything. Perhaps the incredible hassle that Bandai puts people through to buy their stuff has blunted my enthusiasm.

It has all the same good and bad points of every previous DX VF-1. My copy has the worst fitting airbrake of all my DX's. It does not sit flush and leaves an unsightly gap.

001 is printed correctly on both stabilizers. WTF happened to Bandai's idiotic excuses about symmetry?

Ah well. it's still cool toy and worth getting. Just try not to pay too much for it if you can.

Will it replace my Yamato TV 1S? Absolutely not. :p

11 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

My TV Roy 1S got here a little while ago, no QC issues, the arms stay up better in fighter mode than my Hikaru 1S, and the wing flaps stay in place a bit more snugly as well. Very happy with it, and I'm glad that Nin-Nin came through for me and everyone else as well.

I was in the $225.29 group price wise, cost me $275.10 with shipping. If there's any future pre-order madness and the other places are sold out, I'll go with Nin-Nin again. :)

OK, I feel the need to add to this post, so I will. To be clear, I am still NOT a fan of the following:

1. Those Goddamned leg fins...Why OH WHY could they not come up with a similar design choice like Yamato did?! You can't tell me they couldn't have done those in such a way that they can be locked into place, a very piss poor design choice and for me easily the most aggravating thing about this design. 

2. The arms still using friction fit pegs in fighter mode. These will only loosen up over time (Assuming you were fortunate enough to have them come tight in fighter mode in the first place) though not that big of a deal IF you're using Bandai's stand and displaying it in fighter mode the way they want you to. :rolleyes: Though listed as #2, this in my opinion is tied for #1 with the leg fin issue. 

3. The movable head laser gimmick, there's literally NO NEED for this and only creates more aggravation in getting them in the proper position in all modes. 

4. Movable wing flaps - I still don't see the need for this gimmick, but that's just me, it's actually the least annoying of the differences between Yamato/Arcadia and Banda's DX design. 

I remember some of you saying you were holding out hope for them addressing at least some of these issues, but it should be clear by now that Bandai has no intention of ever doing so. I, like the rest of you, will either have to live with these issues or just use Elmer's glue. (Which can be removed with warm water) 

My opinion hasn't changed now that I have two of these. The sculpt, weight, panel lines, and over the top tampo print detail make it worth owning, but I think that overall, Yamato did it better. The DX is an improvement in some areas, and a step backwards in others. If you have a bunch of Yamato/Arcadia's, then you can skip this or get just one just to have it for something new. 

I will be getting the VF-1D to go with my TV Roy 1S, I wasn't expecting a two seater, but since they are, I'll get one of those. After that, unless they come out with a stealth/low vis version, I'm done.

10 hours ago, rdrunner said:

Hey @Kyp Durron, we had both ordered from NNG on PO night, happy to see that you've got yours at long last.  Mine is still showing "preparation in progress" (since 11/30), sent another ticket yesterday but am trying VERY hard to resist the urge to ping them again...

I'm sure that if they came though for me, they'll come through for you and the others, I think what happened is that they had limited stock on hand and sent those out and are sending them out as they get stock in. Hang in there! :)

*Edit* This is going to sound weird, but for some strange reason, this overall looks better than my DYRL Hikaru 1S. Logically I know this is impossible, the only explanation I can come up with is that the Yellow and Black just makes the whole thing look better to me than the Red and Black of the DYRL 1S. O.o

Edited by Kyp Durron

8 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Did someone mention needing ejection seat triangle and cockpit skull decals? :D I'm open to doing another run of my DX valk supplemental set.

preview2.jpg

They've been coming through for many of us. My order from them arrived today. At least one of the members in your position contacted Nin-Nin and asked for a status update. They were told that there was a shipment delay for some of the stock and orders would be going out next week (I think).

cani get some please?

4 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

OK, I feel the need to add to this post, so I will. To be clear, I am still NOT a fan of the following:

1. Those Goddamned leg fins...Why OH WHY could they not come up with a similar design choice like Yamato did?! You can't tell me they couldn't have done those in such a way that they can be locked into place, a very piss poor design choice and for me easily the most aggravating thing about this design. 

2. The arms still using friction fit pegs in fighter mode. These will only loosen up over time (Assuming you were fortunate enough to have them come tight in fighter mode in the first place) though not that big of a deal IF you're using Bandai's stand and displaying it in fighter mode the way they want you to. :rolleyes: Though listed as #2, this in my opinion is tied for #1 with the leg fin issue. 

3. The movable head laser gimmick, there's literally NO NEED for this and only creates more aggravation in getting them in the proper position in all modes. 

4. Movable wing flaps - I still don't see the need for this gimmick, but that's just me, it's actually the least annoying of the differences between Yamato/Arcadia and Banda's DX design. 

I remember some of you saying you were holding out hope for them addressing at least some of these issues, but it should be clear by now that Bandai has no intention of ever doing so. I, like the rest of you, will either have to live with these issues or just use Elmer's glue. (Which can be removed with warm water) 

My opinion hasn't changed now that I have two of these. The sculpt, weight, panel lines, and over the top tampo print detail make it worth owning, but I think that overall, Yamato did it better. The DX is an improvement in some areas, and a step backwards in others. If you have a bunch of Yamato/Arcadia's, then you can skip this or get just one just to have it for something new. 

I will be getting the VF-1D to go with my TV Roy 1S, I wasn't expecting a two seater, but since they are, I'll get one of those. After that, unless they come out with a stealth/low vis version, I'm done.

I'm sure that if they came though for me, they'll come through for you and the others, I think what happened is that they had limited stock on hand and sent those out and are sending them out as they get stock in. Hang in there! :)

*Edit* This is going to sound weird, but for some strange reason, this overall looks better than my DYRL Hikaru 1S. Logically I know this is impossible, the only explanation I can come up with is that the Yellow and Black just makes the whole thing look better to me than the Red and Black of the DYRL 1S. O.o

Hi there - and an update for those of us who ordered NNG especially the first batch, my first batch order has shipped via DHL earlier today, ETA Monday.  Given how fast DHL usually is, I would probably not be surprised if it got here on Saturday.  But we will see.

For those of us who are still waiting, good luck, but it looks like they ARE honoring all of our PO's so far.

10 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

Did someone mention needing ejection seat triangle and cockpit skull decals? :D I'm open to doing another run of my DX valk supplemental set.

preview2.jpg

Have a set from the last run (think it was the last one) and they are great. Thanks for making them available again.

10 hours ago, Anasazi37 said:

preview2.jpg

They've been coming through for many of us. My order from them arrived today. At least one of the members in your position contacted Nin-Nin and asked for a status update. They were told that there was a shipment delay for some of the stock and orders would be going out next week (I think).

Hi - if you still have some from the current batch, please can I order one?  Thanks!

Shipped out from HLJ via DHL on Tuesday and arrived today. HLJ shipped my Roy in a shipper box slightly larger than the item itself with not much space for any fillers. Was almost sure that the slightest damage to the shipper box would inevitably damage the actual item itself.

TBH, I’m pleasantly surprised that Roy arrived at my doorstep without any visible damage to the shipper box. Kudos to DHL!

Edited by Kanzaki

7 minutes ago, Kanzaki said:

Shipped out from HLJ via DHL on Tuesday and arrived today. HLJ shipped my Roy in a shipper box slightly larger than the item itself with not much space for any fillers. Was almost sure that the slightest damage to the shipper box would inevitably damage the actual item itself.

TBH, I’m pleasantly surprised that Roy arrived at my doorstep without any visible damage to the shipper box. Kudos to DHL!

Would you prefer it in a bigger box with the extra padding but a higher shipping charge? The increase in price can be substantial and that's the trade off. I think the boxes they use are good enough to withstand dings unless something really heavy lands on it. 

31 minutes ago, crackpot said:

Would you prefer it in a bigger box with the extra padding but a higher shipping charge? The increase in price can be substantial and that's the trade off. I think the boxes they use are good enough to withstand dings unless something really heavy lands on it. 

From where I come from, careful handling is almost non-existent in most local courier companies. More often than not a bigger box with extra fillers would save you the hassle (and agony) of a damaged item.

Don’t get me wrong though, HLJ has always packed my orders with care, and I’m all for cheaper shipping charge.  All I’m saying is DHL has handled my Roy with utmost care and I appreciate it :)

6 hours ago, Ash said:

Wow congrats man. Thats fast.....I ordered on 29th and I'm in asia, yet they just shipped it yesterday.....

thanks, paid a bit more on okini than i would've liked.  on the flipside... still waiting on the my mid batch nin nin.  whereas the more expensive later batch one already shipped.  man... ethics right?

9 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Opened my 1S and played with it a bit. It's fine. I'm glad I have one, but not super stoked or anything. Perhaps the incredible hassle that Bandai puts people through to buy their stuff has blunted my enthusiasm.

Ditto. The level of anticipation and excitement for a new DX toy has diminished for me as well unfortunately. Got two incoming but feelin'...meh.

@Anasazi37, I would like one of two decals as well please shipped to Canuckland? 

12 hours ago, Drad said:

I knew that. I mean the little black badge shape with the skull on it, that sits slightly behind the canopy on the fuselage. Thought those were movie only.

LOL... Ok phew! I was just trying to be nice but really was like...

huh.jpg

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

9 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

No, not at all.  I was quietly thinking the same thing myself. 

Shawn mentioned a few pages ago about preferring Hikaru having a black heat shield instead of a bright red one, which was caused by a couple of animation anomalies in DYRL.  When someone replicated that with the DX for Shawn, I was thinking, hmmm.....that doesn't look too bad and I was trying to figure out why I found it aesthetically pleasing.  I guessed it was because maybe one less block of bright colors gave it a more real-world look?  I mean in current military aircraft, bright flashy colors aren't often seen anymore.  

Now we have the DX Roy, which already has the black heat shield, then add the tiniest of details - the head arrows in black instead of bright yellow.  

Ok, I know, these are transforming toys that have three modes, and are nowhere near a depiction of real-world aircraft, but toy makers over the years are adding more and more details to these things in an effort to make them more realistic.

My mind is drifting here...where was I going with this......anyway, I love the DYRL Hikaru, and at first, I didn't like it when it was revealed that the Roy head unit was more cartoony (smoother lines like in SDFM, black head arrows etc), but the more I think about it, the more I think it reduces the cartoony effect...in my opinion.  

Looking at all these factors, I find the Roy looks better (to me at lease) than the DYRL Hikaru.  That being said, I would still prefer a DYRL Roy pilot figure, and I doubt I will ever mount the ballon hands.

9 hours ago, Kyp Durron said:

Maybe the correct "001" on the Roy-1S makes it looks tons better than the Hikaru-1S...

:bump:

8 minutes ago, peter said:

That being said, I would still prefer a DYRL Roy pilot figure, and I doubt I will ever mount the ballon hands.

I can't wait to mount the balloon hands!!! Full TV look!

I do have the advantage of having three DYRL DX Fockers on display though. So, why not both?;)

The pseudo "TV" Yamato's in the pic will be DX's tonight.:good:

Focker Shelf.JPG

26 minutes ago, sqidd said:

I can't wait to mount the balloon hands!!! Full TV look!

I do have the advantage of having three DYRL DX Fockers on display though. So, why not both?;)

The pseudo "TV" Yamato's in the pic will be DX's tonight.:good:

Focker Shelf.JPG

Sweet Pict @sqidd! Those all DX version?

18 minutes ago, treatment said:

Maybe the correct "001" on the Roy-1S makes it looks tons better than the Hikaru-1S...

:bump:

Can agree with that entirely.  Since they finally printed the numbers right, this one is lacking what I'm just going to refer to as "Bandai Taint."  It's actually done correctly, without Bandai's stupid logic marring the whole thing. :p  While it's not really that visible, just knowing it's done correctly is a nice feeling that you don't have with the previous versions.

My AmiAmi order just got dropped at my door, and it's a beauty.  If the parts in the cockpits can be coaxed out, I might just mix and match pilots and control panels to just turn one of these into a DYRL and call it a day.

8 minutes ago, Chronocidal said:

Can agree with that entirely.  Since they finally printed the numbers right, this one is lacking what I'm just going to refer to as "Bandai Taint."  It's actually done correctly, without Bandai's stupid logic marring the whole thing. :p  While it's not really that visible, just knowing it's done correctly is a nice feeling that you don't have with the previous versions.

My AmiAmi order just got dropped at my door, and it's a beauty.  If the parts in the cockpits can be coaxed out, I might just mix and match pilots and control panels to just turn one of these into a DYRL and call it a day.

Are you planning to do anything with the pilot and cockpit?  I was thinking about robbing my Hasegawa 1/48 kit of a pilot....and even considered chopping the SDFM centre control stick....but not sure I should go that far in butchering the DX.