Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

6 hours ago, Lolicon said:

It does some things better but also does some things worse. To me it's a wash, considering what a PITA it is to even get a DX, much less track down the SSP and missile sets if you didn't order a bunch during the PO period, I would hardly go so far as to say it blows anything but itself, as Bandai seems to be its own worst enemy. :p

I agree with this feeling toward Bandai's figures. The DX figures plus accessories are difficult to get and expensive on the secondary market. This is getting to be quite a turn off for me. They do a few things better than 1/48 Yamato VF-1 figures but also a few things worse. The Super/Strike Parts are rather underwhelming considering how hard they have been to get. It is curious and amusing that there is some details hidden inside the glued on covers.

Bandai could have made the greatest VF-1 toy of all time but they settled for pretty good.

Edited by Corrinald

You simply can't compare Yamato 1/48 and Bandai Dx 1/48 as if they were released at the same time! 

There is more than a decade and a half of time gap between them! The fact that a 15-year old toy manages to outdo the Bandai DX's super parts on some substantial points, really shows that there is a lack of effort and and in my opinion, sincerity, in bringing out what should have been their A game to this on Bandai's part.

2 minutes ago, BlueMax said:

There is more than a decade and a half of time gap between them! The fact that a 15-year old toy manages to outdo the Bandai DX's super parts on some substantial points, really shows that there is a lack of effort and and in my opinion, sincerity, in bringing out what should have been their A game to this on Bandai's part.

Or that the limits of an affordable design are nearing their development potential. The DX's cost the same as the Yamato (adjusted for inflation) to within a couple bucks. Bandai hit it out out of the park with some stuff and struck out on others. IMO the Bandai and Yamato are a tie. Some people will lean one way because of preferences and others vice versa. That makes it look a lot like there was X amount of Yen available and Yamato and Bandai prioritized differently. Could Bandai make something a lot better and address all the shortcomings? Absolutely. You can guarantee that the engineers/designers at Bandai wanted them to go out the door better. But cost constraints are cost constraints. A frustration of every designer everywhere. I run into the same frustrations with the products I design/sell. Can I make something better. OH HE!! YES I CAN! Will it price those items out of the market? Probably.

I think the DX has the slight edge because they pose a LOT better and they look super tough in Battroid. But I will conceded that there are "line items" that go to the Yamato. It's not a bad world we live in when you have the choice between two great options and you can get the one that best suits your desires. What's to complain about?:unknw: And if you happen to like Yammies, you get to do it for less $$. The price on them is coming down FAST.

15 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Or that the limits of an affordable design are nearing their development potential. The DX's cost the same as the Yamato (adjusted for inflation) to within a couple bucks. Bandai hit it out out of the park with some stuff and struck out on others. IMO the Bandai and Yamato are a tie. Some people will lean one way because of preferences and others vice versa. That makes it look a lot like there was X amount of Yen available and Yamato and Bandai prioritized differently. Could Bandai make something a lot better and address all the shortcomings? Absolutely. You can guarantee that the engineers/designers at Bandai wanted them to go out the door better. But cost constraints are cost constraints. A frustration of every designer everywhere. I run into the same frustrations with the products I design/sell. Can I make something better. OH HE!! YES I CAN! Will it price those items out of the market? Probably.

I think the DX has the slight edge because they pose a LOT better and they look super tough in Battroid. But I will conceded that there are "line items" that go to the Yamato. It's not a bad world we live in when you have the choice between two great options and you can get the one that best suits your desires. What's to complain about?:unknw: And if you happen to like Yammies, you get to do it for less $$. The price on them is coming down FAST.

I think you misunderstand. What I am saying is: We cannot compare 2 versions of 1/48 released more than 15 years apart as if they were released around the same time. Obviously Bandai does better overall, as it should. If the current design isn't a significant improvement over a 15 year old version, then we are regressing.

Also, my comments are SPECIFIC to the DX SUPER/STRIKE parts, not the valkyrie,

My opinion on the VF-1 itself is that Bandai run circles round Yamato, as they should, and I am very happy that there is this amount of progress here. Again, I am saying the Super/strike parts are lacking bandai's A-game here (unlike the VF-1 itself) and Yamato's efforts here are very much more appreciated, espeically for a 15 year old design, as compared to what Bandai could have done.

Edited by BlueMax

3 hours ago, mantisfists said:

Unless you want the weathered versions.  Ouch.

I got a NIB Hikaru 1/60 weathered for ¥20,000 off YJA. Another one just sold for like ¥23,000 or so. They're not too bad if you wait for an actual auction, or one to show up on Mandarake/Jungle.

On 9/26/2020 at 9:58 AM, betocc said:

So... is NinNin reliable?  I read reports replying to this post that they might not be.  How can they offer a pre-order when all others are gone, and why does the price keep going up?  What are my chances of actually getting one, and if not, how much will I have to wait and/or fight them for a refund (although I see that they do take paypal credit, so that might not be an issue)?

5 hours ago, Grey728 said:

The thing is bullet proof. Outside of using a dremel and cutting it open, I have no idea how to get in there.

Let it go though a x-ray machine?  . :lol:. ,    visit a federal building or airport? :unknw:

1 hour ago, Pontus said:

So... is NinNin reliable?  I read reports replying to this post that they might not be.  How can they offer a pre-order when all others are gone, and why does the price keep going up?  What are my chances of actually getting one, and if not, how much will I have to wait and/or fight them for a refund (although I see that they do take paypal credit, so that might not be an issue)?

Nin-nin games is similar to Nippon-yasan.

Prices goes up with demand, it stayed around the $350 mark after the preorder got SOLD out months ago.  Price will mostly drop down near release date. 

They still have it on preorder but for a higher price ,  (they were able to get some preorders from local stores at msrp or higher...  then they can resell them by adding in their fee of procuring them).    Pretty much right now they listed it at $350.   So if  someone preorder it from them., all they have to do is find a open preorder in japan for less than that., example: there's some for 31000 yen on amazon japan .. so they can just preorder it from them to fill their supply if and whenever someone preorder it from them for $350.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/Chogokin-Dimension-Fortress-Valkyrie-Approximately/dp/B08C3GRZ4P/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3NE6DLZWCF1V5&dchild=1&keywords=DX超合金&qid=1601931642&sprefix=dx+chogo%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-2

By the way N-Y have it too.. ;) (for those that have some N-Y credits)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/figures/31609-super-dimension-fortress-macross-dx-chogokin-vf-1s-valkyrie-roy-focker-special.html

32 minutes ago, F360 said:

Let it go though a x-ray machine?  . :lol:. ,    visit a federal building or airport? :unknw:

So I actually build X-ray inspection equipment as my day job.

However, no way I'll run any of mine through there, if you think UV browns plastic, you don't even want to see what x-rays will do.

2 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

So I actually build X-ray inspection equipment as my day job.

However, no way I'll run any of mine through there, if you think UV browns plastic, you don't even want to see what x-rays will do.

Well, now you've got my curiosity piqued, so... YES I ABSOLUTELY DO want to see what x-rays will do!

What in the hell is Bandai smoking?  Did someone from the factory screw up and decide those parts needed to be glued, and then they just conveniently "forgot" that they intended them to open?

Like.. I suspected this was the case all along, because there's a lipped edge on the foot-end of the packs, and conspicuous tab on the narrow end that looks like it holds the parts together.

I have lost my ability to even.

Edit- I'm not going to destroy my packs trying to do that, but I do have to wonder if they got complaints from Arcadia about copying something, and quietly swept the issue under the rug by just gluing everything.  It's stupid, but entirely fitting with the way they behave when confronted with a mistake. <_< 

Edited by Chronocidal

1 minute ago, jenius said:

... Like a future product meant to be more premium.

This makes me not want to buy any more DXs and just buy the Hi Metals until the more premium line gets released.  I'm already on the fence as the 1/48 DX line is almost a wash, in my opinion, over the Yamatos (the DX hands are amazing, I must admit).  Even if it were only a 1 or 2 off....that would be enough for me.

46 minutes ago, mantisfists said:

This makes me not want to buy any more DXs and just buy the Hi Metals until the more premium line gets released.  I'm already on the fence as the 1/48 DX line is almost a wash, in my opinion, over the Yamatos (the DX hands are amazing, I must admit).  Even if it were only a 1 or 2 off....that would be enough for me.

Absolutely do not handle one if you don't want them.:D

The DX is a fantastic toy, no doubt. And Yamato has been out of business for years now, so that's not an option for most people who want a VF-1 anyway, unless they want to scrounge the aftermarket for whatever Yamatos are still out there which will end up costing as much if not more than the Bandai DX.

For peeps like me who already had a sizable Yamato collection before the DX: Bandai's offering is only an incremental improvement over what we already had, with some steps backward. It wasn't the gigantic leap forward like going from the chunky monkeys to Yamato. Still a great toy and I've bought all of them so far, but I'm still holding on to my Yamatos. Also, my Yamato VF-1s are in scale with all my other valks. :p

For everyone else: the DX is a great toy and really the only game in town, aside from the occasional Arcadia reissue. It's worth the purchase. Just avoid the scalpers. :good:

I wonder if a 3rd party company will ever make articulated hands for the 1/48 Yammies. Sort of like how 3rd party companies made articulated hands for all or most of the Masterpiece line.

If there was such thing as articulated and transformation friendly hands for our 1/48 Yammies, that would resolve the eternal chicken hands issue. Yes i know proportions in BAttroid mode are not perfect, but in the end, nothing is.

Edited by vlenhoff

1 hour ago, Lolicon said:

The DX is a fantastic toy, no doubt. And Yamato has been out of business for years now, so that's not an option for most people who want a VF-1 anyway, unless they want to scrounge the aftermarket for whatever Yamatos are still out there which will end up costing as much if not more than the Bandai DX.

For peeps like me who already had a sizable Yamato collection before the DX: Bandai's offering is only an incremental improvement over what we already had, with some steps backward. It wasn't the gigantic leap forward like going from the chunky monkeys to Yamato. Still a great toy and I've bought all of them so far, but I'm still holding on to my Yamatos. Also, my Yamato VF-1s are in scale with all my other valks. :p

For everyone else: the DX is a great toy and really the only game in town, aside from the occasional Arcadia reissue. It's worth the purchase. Just avoid the scalpers. :good:

Yeah.

Good luck on getting a DX under reasonable (meaning under 20k-yen) pricing.

Then the FPs (17k+) and Missile sets (8.5k-yen+).

Then figure out the shipping rape for each and/or all of it.

It's really a scalpers' market if you didn't get  a DX during PO times...

1 hour ago, vlenhoff said:

I wonder if a 3rd party company will ever make articulated hands for the 1/48 Yammies. Sort of like how 3rd party companies made articulated hands for all or most of the Masterpiece line.

If there was such thing as articulated and transformation friendly hands for our 1/48 Yammies, that would resolve the eternal chicken hands issue. Yes i know proportions in BAttroid mode are not perfect, but in the end, nothing is.

You mean Dr.Wu hands for the MP right @vlenhoff?

Can you use the Gundam hands for the 1/48 chicken option (or its it too heavy and bulky). Someone used it on their copy of Studio OX Azalea on TFW2005 and had to repaint it to colour match correctly. 

Not too bad looking, however it looked really weird. :blink:

On 10/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, mantisfists said:

This makes me not want to buy any more DXs and just buy the Hi Metals until the more premium line gets released.

As far as Bandai goes, their DX Chogokin is the premium line when it comes to Chogokin. So, I'm not sure what else there is left unless they make a metal structure VF but I see that as a statue with features rather than a figure. 

2 hours ago, crackpot said:

As far as Bandai goes, their DX Chogokin is the premium line when it comes to Chogokin. So, I'm not sure what else there is left unless they make a metal structure VF but I see that as a statue with features rather than a figure. 

Is DX the same as Soul of Chogokin?

3 minutes ago, jenius said:

There are several lines. Soul of Chogokin, DX Chogokin, and DX Soul of Chogokin. SOC is mainly super robots and some ships. DX Chogokin is pretty much the Macross Mecha line. DX SOC is their ultimate, larger versions of classic Super Robots with added details and features. 

On 10/5/2020 at 4:31 PM, sqidd said:

Absolutely do not handle one if you don't want them.:D

I've gotten one of each variant and the only one I've opened and handled was the 1S.  It had the two features I was most looking forward to.....the hands and the adjustable head lasers.  Those two features lived up to what I thought they'd be but the rest of the toy left me a bit underwhelmed, which is something I never felt with the Yamatos. The DX looks amazing in every picture I see.  I don't know.....I can't explain it.  I never actually had them side by side, either, so once I do that, maybe it'll change my mind.  I'm still going to do my best to get my hands on a Roy but, seeing as I don't have a place to display anything at the moment, I think the unopened VFs I have will stay that way for a bit.  I honestly can't see myself getting rid of them, but you never know.

48 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

There are several lines. Soul of Chogokin, DX Chogokin, and DX Soul of Chogokin. SOC is mainly super robots and some ships. DX Chogokin is pretty much the Macross Mecha line. DX SOC is their ultimate, larger versions of classic Super Robots with added details and features. 

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.thumb.gif.efd1e38de01ac0654a7dfd8da5bb5e26.gif

Edited by mantisfists

4 hours ago, mantisfists said:

I've gotten one of each variant and the only one I've opened and handled was the 1S.  It had the two features I was most looking forward to.....the hands and the adjustable head lasers.  Those two features lived up to what I thought they'd be but the rest of the toy left me a bit underwhelmed, which is something I never felt with the Yamatos. The DX looks amazing in every picture I see.  I don't know.....I can't explain it.  I never actually had them side by side, either, so once I do that, maybe it'll change my mind.  I'm still going to do my best to get my hands on a Roy but, seeing as I don't have a place to display anything at the moment, I think the unopened VFs I have will stay that way for a bit.  I honestly can't see myself getting rid of them, but you never know.

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.thumb.gif.efd1e38de01ac0654a7dfd8da5bb5e26.gif

IMO the DX looks "tougher". And you can pull of much more expressive poses than the Yamato's (bottom pic).

IMG_7358.thumb.JPG.8450443a6fed7da2baea1201d0f7212b.JPG

IMG_7359.thumb.JPG.5efcf06df702cbf89aa6da9e959cd63e.JPG

IMG_7360.thumb.JPG.f0ec89cfbcd091a6b7065c9dc97a263a.JPG

IMG_7361.thumb.JPG.8fe6c92b85fce3aa5dbd2c78a7bc3390.JPG

I gotta just weigh in a tiny bit. My yamato 1/60 is fine, but my 1/48ths are yellowed, they don't weigh enough so they feel -untoylike. and the arms are too skinny. 

I'd replace them all with Bandai's, they were good for the time. metal swing bar on the legs was best on the Yamato 1/48. The bar on the 1/60 took an engineering degree to transform, and the one on the Bandai pops off every transformation. that's cheating, skirting around the prefect transformation issue.

7 hours ago, jenius said:

7 hours ago, Slave IV said:

Pretty much what @Slave IVsaid. The DX stands for deluxe per Bandai's terminology. I'm assuming anything with a DX is their top line. DX SOC for the old super robots and DX chogokin for Macross. I'm seeing the HMR as the lower tier Macross. But who knows? Bandai might release that 1/35 prototype and designate it to another much more "deluxe" line. $500 minimum VF-1's without missiles and fast packs anybody? 

In anticipation of the Focker and TV FP release soon I'm wondering what symbols Hikaru had on his Super VF-1S Skull One in SDFM? I'm seeing some example with red kites and others with black skulls. I think it's the red kites. Someone is bound to tell me it's both because of animation inconsistencies though.:lol: Thanks guys!

40 minutes ago, crackpot said:

But who knows? Bandai might release that 1/35 prototype and designate it to another much more "deluxe" line. $500 minimum VF-1's without missiles and fast packs anybody? 

Would that be a Metal Structure (or whatever that Gundam monster is called)? And yes, if they make a 1/35 Focker with SSP's I'm absolutely a buyer. I'd probably get two. Especially if they came in like the big Gundam with all the accessories. I'd go $900-1000 per unit.

7 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Would that be a Metal Structure (or whatever that Gundam monster is called)? And yes, if they make a 1/35 Focker with SSP's I'm absolutely a buyer. I'd probably get two. Especially if they came in like the big Gundam with all the accessories. I'd go $900-1000 per unit.

If it does happen, we don't know yet. Pretty much that's the only mech on the Metal Structure so far. Even with that, Bandai is nickel and diming it already. Its essential and defining weaponry was sold separately for an additional $250.

5 minutes ago, crackpot said:

If it does happen, we don't know yet. Pretty much that's the only mech on the Metal Structure so far. Even with that, Bandai is nickel and diming it already. Its essential and defining weaponry was sold separately for an additional $250.

Oh yeah, I've noticed. Bandai doing what Bandai does.:lol:

47 minutes ago, sqidd said:

In anticipation of the Focker and TV FP release soon I'm wondering what symbols Hikaru had on his Super VF-1S Skull One in SDFM? I'm seeing some example with red kites and others with black skulls. I think it's the red kites. Someone is bound to tell me it's both because of animation inconsistencies though.:lol: Thanks guys!

All TV valks have the UN Spacy kite. The skull insignia FPs are DYRL only.

49469056788_692816bbdc_o.jpg