Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

10 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Double its original price. And people will pay it because who knows if Bandai will ever do another run. It's not like Bandai is releasing additional valkyries that people might want missiles for.

Who thought it was a great idea to release the missiles separately and doesn't work for Bandai? :p 

I doubt the addition of a couple pieces of unpainted plastic would have significantly added to the price of a DX valkyrie. The reaction missiles should have been included with the super packs.

Oof MaGoof! Didn't realize that was double the asking price. The fact that Bandai gives you everything but the kitchen sink with the HMR series & yet you have to go Ala carte with the DX Line is kinda lame, IMO charge an extra $15-$20.00 and call it a day. 

Reaction Missiles with the Fast Pack sets is fine, same as Yamato did. 

I know that when I had a shot at the miss Le re-release I got 3 for $55 each shipped. Then picked up a partial set missing the micromissile boxes for cheap. Now I figure I am good to equip the 3 tv releases and my 4 DYRL (including custom Roy and Max) but I am Still tempted to get more :rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Who thought it was a great idea to release the missiles separately and doesn't work for Bandai? :p 

If you find the person who said "I love the missile packs being released separately and only once, after only one VF-1 release and with no indicators of the upcoming release schedule, that idea was great!" let us know.

Well, I do admit that I don't mind at all not having a full set of missiles for each VF. Nominally you only need to buy 1 missile pack for every 3 VFs to load them out.

Plus I do appreciate how small the VF boxes are, what with shipping prices (especially compared to Yamato boxes).

Yeah, Bandai built this supply and demand disaster brick-by-brick with their TWE processes for years.  

"Wait, you mean every pilot doesn't get unique missiles and weapons packs specific to their own plane?  But everyone in gundams gets those!"

"We could just do multiple rel-"

"HELL NO, we have a rarity policy to uphold to keep demand up!  I don't care if every plane uses the same parts, we can't change our 'never release them again' policy just for some two-bit non-Gundam property.  The customers will just have to deal with it."

1 hour ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Well, I do admit that I don't mind at all not having a full set of missiles for each VF. Nominally you only need to buy 1 missile pack for every 3 VFs to load them out.

Plus I do appreciate how small the VF boxes are, what with shipping prices (especially compared to Yamato boxes).

There's room in each for some missile parts without adding to the box size. Yamato boxes were always oversized for their contents and is not a good example.

You can properly equip two valkyries with each missile set (one movie and one TV), unless you want some of your guys to have the sad and pathetic layout of one missile cluster and one reaction missile on each wing or something. I'd probably do that for some brownies if those ever materialize.

That's just not acceptable for the hero valks. :p

backdrop-1920.thumb.jpg.c49d55e923ca3761f56e0f6c12a83d5b.jpg

14 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

There's room in each for some missile parts without adding to the box size. Yamato boxes were always oversized for their contents and is not a good example.

You can properly equip two valkyries with each missile set (one movie and one TV), unless you want some of your guys to have the sad and pathetic layout of one missile cluster and one reaction missile on each wing or something. I'd probably do that for some brownies if those ever materialize.

Yeah, that's why I was OK with the partial set without micro boxes. I can do a fully outfitted DYRL opening skull squad now since I have 4x yellow reaction type.

18 minutes ago, Lolicon said:

Pretty sure that you can do the three following loadouts all at the same time:

• 6x Reaction Missiles (DYRL)
  • 4x Missile Boxes (DYRL)
  • 4x Missile Trees (TV)

If you want a mixed loadout, then yes it won't spread as far.

So all this talk about missiles while rewatching SDF Macross got me thinking. The AMM-1 (TV Style) missiles really should have a red tip and rear section, shouldn't they? It appears that way both on screen and in the Macross files. IDK what does everyone else think? Did Bandai and Yamato just skip the extra paint out of stinginess? I am considering painting them. Good idea or bad idea?

65281894_ScreenShot2020-09-25at8_29_39PM.thumb.png.8b0d77dba9943a2ad4460460d80b202b.png1793344959_ScreenShot2020-09-25at8_23_35PM.thumb.png.078db801030a43de845861ed25bdd5c9.png

missile-amm1.thumb.gif.57eb9a81aed1d09a45a8fc5fc2e40a63.gif

2 minutes ago, RedComet said:

So all this talk about missiles while rewatching SDF Macross got me thinking. The AMM-1 (TV Style) missiles really should have a red tip and rear section, shouldn't they? It appears that way both on screen and in the Macross files. IDK what does everyone else think? Did Bandai and Yamato just skip the extra paint out of stinginess? I am considering painting them. Good idea or bad idea?

The HMR's look like that.

7 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Pretty sure that you can do the three following loadouts all at the same time:

• 6x Reaction Missiles (DYRL)
  • 4x Missile Boxes (DYRL)
  • 4x Missile Trees (TV)

If you want a mixed loadout, then yes it won't spread as far.

Sure, if you just want to mix up your own loadouts. Nothing wrong with that.

No valk in DYRL is ever seen using 6x reaction missiles, at least among the heroes. Hikaru uses 4x missile boxes in the ending battle only.

Proper DYRL loadout is 2x missile boxes and 4x reaction missiles.

So if you want a canon loadout, then you can only do two per missile set (one TV one movie).

Edited by Lolicon

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Sure, if you just want to mix up your own loadouts. Nothing wrong with that.

No valk in DYRL is ever seen using 6x reaction missiles, at least among the heroes. Hikaru uses 4x missile boxes in the ending battle only.

Proper DYRL loadout is 2x missile boxes and 4x reaction missiles.

So if you want a canon loadout, then you can only do two per missile set (one TV one movie).

6x Reaction Missiles is certainly shown in a lot of art and media for something that's "non-canon".

7 hours ago, Lolicon said:

No valk in DYRL is ever seen using 6x reaction missiles, at least among the heroes.

No Valk at all, actually.

3 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

6x Reaction Missiles is certainly shown in a lot of art and media for something that's "non-canon".

Not in anything DYRL-related.  Maybe you're thinking of video game promotional art...?

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

I think that is DYRL cannon????

No, that specific load-out is only seen in the TV series.

10 hours ago, RedComet said:

65281894_ScreenShot2020-09-25at8_29_39PM.thumb.png.8b0d77dba9943a2ad4460460d80b202b.png1793344959_ScreenShot2020-09-25at8_23_35PM.thumb.png.078db801030a43de845861ed25bdd5c9.png

As @sqidd mentioned, the HMR missiles look like that. The marking and painting instructions for all of the old school Bandai variable 1/72 model kits for the TV valks show the same thing, as do the instructions for the original Imai kits they are based on.

20200926_080539.thumb.jpg.8a0c07bd6475dc8256a6ef007a267add.jpg

10 hours ago, CeramicDragon said:

VF-1A Kak is 29573 yen at amazon jp. Too much?

Honestly, the answer is: Are you willing to pay for that? If so, then not too much. Many of us got it for like 25k with shipping at initial PO. So as long as that includes shipping, it’s not horrible for aftermarket.

4 hours ago, jemC said:

Anyone know any web shop I can still order for the Roy DX 1S? Unfortunately, I missed the preorder as I was busy with other matters and came to know about this only yesterday

None right now except a couple questionable places that are known to not always deliver and for like 35k. It sold out in seconds on PO night. Best to wait until around release.

Edited by DYRL VF-1S

5 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:

2 hours ago, sqidd said:

I think that is DYRL cannon????

1 hour ago, tekering said:

Not in anything DYRL-related.  Maybe you're thinking of video game promotional art...?

1 hour ago, tekering said:

No, that specific load-out is only seen in the TV series.

I read @Sanity is Optional comment the same way as @sqidd. Was the comment stating that DYRL isn’t canon? If so, it is canon. It’s just viewed as a movie that was placed in the actual universe sometime between SDFM and M7. Movie which IMO was better than “real life” lol.

4 hours ago, jemC said:

Anyone know any web shop I can still order for the Roy DX 1S? Unfortunately, I missed the preorder as I was busy with other matters and came to know about this only yesterday

NinNinGame has it available for $350 usd plus shipping charges

https://www.nin-nin-game.com/en/japanese-import-bandai-dx-chogokin/37995-dx-chogokin-macross-vf-1s-valkyrie-roy-focker-special.html

3 hours ago, sqidd said:

I think that is SDFM cannon????

@tekering already went over everything pretty well, so no need to repeat it all. But yes the 6x reaction missile loadout is only seen in the TV series, and only in one episode.

No one used that loadout in DYRL. Promotional art and the like would be considered beta canon, if such art exists. I've never seen such for the movie.

1 hour ago, DYRL VF-1S said:

I read @Sanity is Optional comment the same way as @sqidd. Was the comment stating that DYRL isn’t canon? If so, it is canon. It’s just viewed as a movie that was placed in the actual universe sometime between SDFM and M7. Movie which IMO was better than “real life” lol.

Nothing so meta. @Sanity is Optional was saying that something he saw in some promotional art or something was canon, despite not actually being in the movie. Nothing to do with the TV series or the overall Macross timeline.

If he wants to put 6x reaction missiles on his DYRL valks, that's cool. Not sure why being canon or not would diminish his enjoyment of that.

22 minutes ago, sqidd said:

Dammit! I was right......but I typed the wrong thing. My first Macross trivia win........and I threw it down the road in turn one.:p

You would be terrible at Final Jeopardy. :lol:

1 hour ago, betocc said:

I got mine there (Everywhere else was sold out) for $275.10 shipped, I'm just hoping they actually come through with it, I guess I'll find out in another couple of months...

*Edit* I see I finally made it to Alaska Base Survivor rank after all these years, lol. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

1 hour ago, Kyp Durron said:

I got mine there (Everywhere else was sold out) for $275.10 shipped, I'm just hoping they actually come through with it, I guess I'll find out in another couple of months...

Your odds are likely much better than mine. I was in the very first round of POs for Nin-Nin, which had a 10% discount on MSRP. I'd very much like to get my Roy, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there are a few others here in the same boat.

Edited by Anasazi37

32 minutes ago, Anasazi37 said:

Your odds are likely much better than mine. I was in the very first round of POs for Nin-Nin, which had a 10% discount on MSRP. I'd very much like to get my Roy, but I'm not holding my breath. I think there are a few others here in the same boat.

WHAT?!? I honestly didn't think anyone got in on that round, I just figured they set that up as some kind of special employee price :p did anyone else get it at a discount? (asks the guy who was very happy to get in at $225)

Edited by RedComet

1 minute ago, RedComet said:

WHAT?!? I honestly didn't think anyone got in on that round, I just figured they set that up as some kind of special employee price :p did anyone else get it at a discount? (asks the guy who was very happy to get in at $225)

Heh, I was happy to get it at $275, actually, I'm happy to have gotten a pre-order at all. :P 

3 hours ago, Lolicon said:

Nothing so meta. @Sanity is Optional was saying that something he saw in some promotional art or something was canon, despite not actually being in the movie. Nothing to do with the TV series or the overall Macross timeline.

If he wants to put 6x reaction missiles on his DYRL valks, that's cool. Not sure why being canon or not would diminish his enjoyment of that.

Totally. Hell you could paint pink lipstick on your VF-1 Valk and I wouldn’t care. Just confused by the posts. :pardon:

8 hours ago, RedComet said:

Screencap of my Nin-Nin invoice:

image.thumb.png.b25db6cdb7ec97bf2d6f40694076c545.png

I'm reading the -10% as both the discount and the chance of actually receiving my Roy from them. I've been screwed again and again on PO nights, never managing to get one. If it was finally going to happen, I was hoping it would be for Roy because he's my favorite, and it did! After securing the order, though, I started hearing about what Nin-Nin has done on previous POs and it makes me...skeptical. <_<

DYRL Final Battle Scene. Who's got pics of their DX posed like this? I've been messing with it for about an hour and I can't cheat the anime magic enough to feel all fuzzy abut it. I can get both hands on the gun pod and really, really close to the pic. But, then the Strike Cannon is not pointed the same direction. The Gun pod has to go across the body at an angle for both hands to reach. Which is actually picture accurate. But then the Strike Cannon isn't pointed the same way.  It's bugging me that I can't get that. I'm also curious what you guys did with the legs. The RH leg looks like it's come up and is bent at the knee. I'm not sure what the LH leg ends up doing. I stopped the video at the last second (1:43:39 in the video below) before it cuts to the close up and it's not very telling. Screen shot of last second below. Also video.

556892669_TheSuperDimensionFortressMacrossDoYouRememberLove151817.thumb.jpg.e027335dafa7065ad1a961f1544ac217.jpg

2.1.thumb.jpg.28cc69ec072416fc53564d403176c64f.jpg

6 minutes ago, sqidd said:

DYRL Final Battle Scene. Who's got pics of their DX posed like this? I've been messing with it for about an hour and I can't cheat the anime magic enough to feel all fuzzy abut it. I can get both hands on the gun pod and really, really close to the pic. But, then the Strike Cannon is not pointed the same direction. The Gun pod has to go across the body at an angle for both hands to reach. Which is actually picture accurate. But then the Strike Cannon isn't pointed the same way.  It's bugging me that I can't get that. I'm also curious what you guys did with the legs. The RH leg looks like it's come up and is bent at the knee. I'm not sure what the LH leg ends up doing. I stopped the video at the last second (1:43:39 in the video below) before it cuts to the close up and it's not very telling. Screen shot of last second below. Also video.

Eh, don't let the impossibility of the pose get to you. I always thought all of it was a bit overkill to murder an unarmed old man (albeit a giant one).