Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

I sold my DX 1J and regret only about low price (at srp) i sold it. And tried to preorder vf-1s Focker just for resell in future.

I think i'm like ppl who still love old chunky monkey vf-1 or gakken legioss more than recent versions, but my love is Yamarcadia. I feel, idk, more soul there. But scale is a reason too. Maybe main reason.

It was some kind of frustration when i got my DX VF-1 in my hand. Big and good, but my expectations was higher for toy that 10 years newer than yamato 1/60 (or 16 years for 1/48)

2 hours ago, treatment said:

Let's try to be more specific on the Battroid that you say there's no contest and DX is indisputably better.

Exactly which Yamato does the DX (which DX?)  "blows anything Yamato out of the water"  The 1/48 or the 1/60v2 or both?

Can you specify which, why and how?

Preferrably with pics showing how better the DX is/are against the yammie 1/60v2.

For me, the only DX I have out on display is the Hikkie-1S with FP.  In battroid-mode and in very neutral static pose.  

Both.

Articulation, appearance, balance.

The DX has much more versatile and dynamic posing, plus the sculpt is way better than the 1/48 Yamato when it comes to the torso and shoulders.

Oh, and side-cavity and neck fillers, which are at least as good as the Arcadia ones, if not better.

9 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

Is there a separate connector other than at the hips?  I’d have to look. 

There's a second optional snap bar up near the top of the torso, a little bar that folds out from the back and clips into the cockpit block. (Video at 7:35)

Also you can put the legs on with or without the swing bar attached.

[edit] Also at 8:50 shows pegging in the plastic clip to the cockpit block, so it's not only being held by the trap-door.

Edited by Sanity is Optional

9 minutes ago, ErikElvis said:

Is there a separate connector other than at the hips?  I’d have to look. 

Yeah, the grey connector piece that attaches/detaches from the metal swing bar can be plugged into a hole, just above where the hip bar clips in, when the bar is detached so that the legs stay securely in place.

28 minutes ago, Sanity is Optional said:

Both.

Articulation, appearance, balance.

The DX has much more versatile and dynamic posing, plus the sculpt is way better than the 1/48 Yamato when it comes to the torso and shoulders.

Oh, and side-cavity and neck fillers, which are at least as good as the Arcadia ones, if not better.

hmmm.

Don't really notice any advantages at all vs the 1/60v2 other than it's bigger:

some-valks.jpg

52 minutes ago, F360 said:

Dont forget to add in the Arcadia display stand pricing in there too ^_^  5K yen .. 

Well, the latest Arcadia stand (https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10600388)  is very nifty for the price, but one does not really need it if one already had one or all of these before:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10139388

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10088025    <--- still love this!!!

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10298416

That said, all the Yammie and Arcadia stands are much much more functional and savvier than the generic  jokes afterthoughts that Bandai includes (and even branded as "LE") with the DXs...

:bump:

Edited by treatment

As someone who came from a V1 Yamato and purchased an Arcadia Milia PF edition, I expected to get blown away, but I wasn't. There was definitely less die cast and folding the tail pack up for gerwalk & battroid mode was a nightmare. I thought I was going to break it. The fast pack covers aren't held on very well and keep sliding off. The side cavity fillers keep falling out. I have to admit that I don't know if I'm doing something wrong here.

I also have two first edition 1/48 Yamato VF-1S and VF-1A. I love the size but as many have pointed out the arms and hands aren't proportioned very well and the nose cones for both easily pop off. The gun doesn't hold well in the tiny hands and mine did not come with an extra set as later versions did. I never purchased the SSPs for either. 

The vanilla Bandai DX feels great in hand and is easy to transform. I don't really care about the T-Bracket coming apart to allow for joint swivel. I usually prefer the hip swivel and am glad that option is there. Whatever makes it easier to transform without me feeling like I'm going to break it. Adding the super strike packs add significant weight to the toy and like many have said, the arms don't lock in place in jet mode and can be very annoying. Definitely an oversight. The heft makes all the joints feel looser and all the extra articulation makes is that much easier to fall over without the use of a stand. My VF-1J with SSP installed prefers to do a split and attempts to do so every time I'm not looking or at the slightest touch. An aggressive leg stance without some stand support is close to out of the question.

27 minutes ago, treatment said:

hmmm.

some-valks.jpg

I believe the DX has the additional leg swivel at the intake for extra wide stances, as well as the additional joint at the elbow so the fist can  come right up to the shoulder.  I can't recall if the arcadia has the bicep joint (I never opened any of my 1/60s) ; I know they don't have the extra leg swivel though.

Edited by spacemanoeuvres
wrods

30 minutes ago, treatment said:

hmmm.

some-valks.jpg

Not sure how you'd expect to see any articulation advantages when you have them in what's practically a T-pose.

Try doing this with a Yamato/Arcadia, and see how good it looks, and how stable the figure is.

Spoiler

20200721_135233.jpg.07761cfe85e96551c9f3d3aefee2af4b.jpg20200721_135243.jpg.ca9a3d50d9267f720eb8b8289587ea6f.jpg20200721_135257.jpg.a962698c23f7658c27280af159588272.jpg

You get a much wider and more stable stance, plus the feet are more flat on the ground in dynamic poses. Posing my 1/60s was always much more of a pain, and they were far more likely to fall over. On top of the more limited options for posing.

Give @tjdetweiler some respect here @crackpot as he's not around on the boards that much..

Edit: Plus @tjdetweiler may not know everything in regards in Macross Lore. 

You flamed me and did I retaliated back at you @crackpot? Nope.. I didn't do it.  

Edited by borgified

Hi, new here. You’re free to have a preference, but to say Yamato/Arcadia is a better value is pretty wild to me, but I get it. If you prefer smaller scale and don’t care about poseability, the Arcadia’s make sense. I personally think the DX Chogokin VF-1’s are better built (minus the QC hiccup with the 1S, because my 1J and 1A are fantastic) and far more poseable. My Yamato stealth 1J was okay for the time, but it’s a turd in comparison in every aspect except fighter mode. Just my 2 cents as I’m sure it’s been stated in the craziness lol. 

B19127F6-BE57-459E-8A25-27D664273021.jpeg

0A3907C5-C6AA-4357-848C-F59B6C5D5D0A.jpeg

8 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

it's at the end of Macross the movie. seems like the animators didn't coordinate for that scene. 

7 minutes ago, borgified said:

Give @tjdetweiler some respect here @crackpot as he's not around on the boards that much..

Edit: Plus @tjdetweiler may not know everything in regards in Macross Lore. 

Preeeeetttty sure @tjdetweiler is just trolling you guys, hence, @crackpot's response.  He and I are just over here doing this since we're seeing recent conversations repeated (albeit super fun ones):

tenor.gif.a6cd7609821dd4f514e0ee531aada020.gif

And if I'm wrong...

index.jpg.9af14d9244d6d824db3b29b7ffc5f507.jpg

2 hours ago, treatment said:

hmmm.

some-valks.jpg

Sorry for the potato phone pics.

But I can't do this sort of stuff with my 1/60 V2:

- Aggressively wide leg stance

20200721_180120.jpg.079d786e881ddefcffec5232260bbeb5.jpg

-Individual finger articulation allowing you to do something like cranking up the middle finger

20200721_180418.jpg.69a03b39d10d0c5f5b91c22fd46e3e3b.jpg

-Pretty much full 180 arm bend and have a massive waist swivel.

20200721_181433.jpg.a2a17989a721280a69124e310d3b8cdd.jpg

-cock the head to the side, palm open flat, lean to one side. Balances easily on the leg because of the low center of gravity from so much mass being in the legs and being able to adjust the feet to any angle you need.

20200721_181101.jpg.a91bc023cfe33ccff3b0d36850a6d3c7.jpg

Edited by MacrossJunkie

4 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

-cock the head to the side, palm open flat, lean to one side. Balances easily on the leg because of the low center of gravity from so much mass being in the legs and being able to adjust the feet to any angle you need.

20200721_181101.jpg.a91bc023cfe33ccff3b0d36850a6d3c7.jpg

Damn, if you had another one you could do the DBZ Fusion Dance!

9 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

eh, i don't reconize many of you,   most of you were not on MW a long time, during Yamato's hey day.  

still... it's good to see a few old faces in the crowd.   

You're all good man!  Many of us are newer for sure (like me).  And I'm sure things like Hikaru's changing color heat shield has been discussed ever since the release of DYRL.  Nothing new under the sun and all that...  We're all just having fun with everyone nerding out about which is better.  Or at least I am.  I think Yamato, Arcadia and Bandai all have their place in the Valkyrie history books for different reasons.  I prefer DX in most regards for one simple reason: they feel heftier than Yamarcadia and remind me more of Chunkies.  But dayummm that VF-0D PF is one sexy mf'er.  Bandai better step up.

And as @treatment said:

4 hours ago, treatment said:

Much better stuff for discussion than the endless whining about N-Y in this thread instead of its own separate thread.

(And there is a separate thread for NY.  @crackpot keeps encouraging me to drop it and that no one will listen... but "Goonies never say die!")