Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Just now, jvmacross said:

That's a negative in my book....they probably either could not get the 1/60 license or figured collectors may not have been too eager to "double-dipped" on another

1/60 VF-1.....yet!

So they went the Yamato route..........go big, grab the cash, then shrink it later....and then double-dip on our cash! :rolleyes:

It Bandai does a 1/60 VF-1 later, it's game over for arcadia.

Once they finish the DX 21, they'll have made 2 of3  M+valks. All that will be left for M+ is a 11B and that will kill off the old yamato. logically repaints and a move to M7will be easy with the 19. 22, 11C and then if they release a same scale vf-1 to match with the yf-19. 21 i'll be pretty much over for arcadia.

Arcadia will be left with the VF-0D,S,A with no damn ghost booster in sight.  

back to the 1/48, i'm curious what 1/48 Movie Roy will offer that's different from TV roy 1s aside from the face shape.  

7 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

back to the 1/48, i'm curious what 1/48 Movie Roy will offer that's different from TV roy 1s aside from the face shape.  

Different pilot, different degree of Tampo (see the other TV Valks, different colored arrow on the head, and the VF-1S Hikaru head.

12 minutes ago, levzloi said:

Different pilot, different degree of Tampo (see the other TV Valks, different colored arrow on the head, and the VF-1S Hikaru head.

those are alot of differences right there. i keep remembering that bandai does alot of tampos so it'll be distinct. 

my wish is for a low visiblity colored movie roy.    

Well from TV Roy to DYRL Roy, the only things I'm expecting from them is a change in the head arrows from black to yellow, the console/HUD swapped out for the DYRL version, a change in the pilot figure, and the exclusion of TV hands and the special base. Things that should have further made a difference would have been the "VF" markings on the legs above the feet which are apparently missing on the DX toy, based on Bandai's pictures. On the DYRL version, it should have the different canopy shape and have the small skull squadron insignias just behind the canopy, but the TV version already has the DYRL canopy and we know they've already missed the insignias on the Hikaru 1S AND Kakizaki 1A.

6 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Well from TV Roy to DYRL Roy, the only things I'm expecting from them is a change in the head arrows from black to yellow, the console/HUD swapped out for the DYRL version, a change in the pilot figure, and the exclusion of TV hands and the special base. Things that should have further made a difference would have been the "VF" markings on the legs above the feet which are apparently missing on the DX toy, based on Bandai's pictures. On the DYRL version, it should have the different canopy shape and have the small skull squadron insignias just behind the canopy, but the TV version already has the DYRL canopy and we know they've already missed the insignias on the Hikaru 1S AND Kakizaki 1A.

ah thanks for those details of the VF on the legs. I ordered a Kaki and totally forgot about him. He's the only one that i don't have mulitple copies on order. bummer it's missin that skull    

max weathered.png 2.png

Edited by davidwhangchoi

49 minutes ago, RIBFIR said:

Thanks to @RedComet I was able to curb my hunger for a DYRL Roy. It's a beauty to behold!

Glad you are liking it! You should get the extra decals next week or so :) 

20 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

my wish is for a low visiblity colored movie roy.    

We are actually working on a low-vis DYRL Roy as a custom future project. Will let everyone know when we start taking deposits for it.

I just noticed DYRL Max is 001 in that pic.

That is Max right, and not some on screen artistic colour variation of Hikaru? I can't remember DYRL much at all, but the blue and glasses suggest to me that it's Max.

2 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

I just noticed DYRL Max is 001 in that pic.

That is Max right, and not some on screen artistic colour variation of Hikaru? I can't remember DYRL much at all, but the blue and glasses suggest to me that it's Max.

yeah max is 001 and black skull too

max 1s png 2.png

Edited by davidwhangchoi

7 minutes ago, Shogun93 said:

So has anyone ever had this happen to them? Got a sealed VF-1S from a friend of mine and the left leg came off. Any clue on how to fix it?

@Shogun93 yeah, that happened to the first one I got. I feel like someone did a writeup on it. It seems some come from the factory not quite screwed in all the way, and they work themselves out and fall off.

Good news is it can be fixed. Bad news is it is a pain in the ass! The first thing you need to do is track down a very slightly (1mm) longer screw to screw past any stripped part and hold steady. Then you have to disassemble it, then either dremmel the knob off the hinge so it can open all the way, or drill a screw access hole in the metal. Then you put on some locktite reassemble it with the new screw and put it all back together. Search for the writeup, and if you don't find it let me know and I can put more details and pics here.

Was it the left leg? I think it is always the left leg.

5 minutes ago, RedComet said:

@Shogun93 yeah, that happened to the first one I got. I feel like someone did a writeup on it. It seems some come from the factory not quite screwed in all the way, and they work themselves out and fall off.

Good news is it can be fixed. Bad news is it is a pain in the ass! The first thing you need to do is track down a very slightly (1mm) longer screw to screw past any stripped part and hold steady. Then you have to disassemble it, then either dremmel the knob off the hinge so it can open all the way, or drill a screw access hole in the metal. Then you put on some locktite reassemble it with the new screw and put it all back together. Search for the writeup, and if you don't find it let me know and I can put more details and pics here.

Was it the left leg? I think it is always the left leg.

Yeah it is the left leg. I’ll look for the write up now but man that does sound pretty intuitive lol.

Edited by Shogun93

6 minutes ago, Shogun93 said:

Sounds very involved* now I’m just using words that don’t make sense. What a night.

Well the good news is you didn't break the tabs on the upper part, so it should go back together and hold together forever after it gets fixed. I can post a full writeup tomorrow if you want. It sucks, but it CAN be fixed. I fixed mine and another person's off FB. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, I could even do it for you if you wanted to pay shipping both ways (and you would only have to send the leg). Always happy to help a MW member ^_^ that's what a community is for right?

Edited by RedComet

10 minutes ago, RedComet said:

Well the good news is you didn't break the tabs on the upper part, so it should go back together and hold together forever after it gets fixed. I can post a full writeup tomorrow if you want. It sucks, but it CAN be fixed. I fixed mine and another person's off FB. If you don't want to attempt it yourself, I could even do it for you if you wanted to pay shipping both ways (and you would only have to send the leg). Always happy to help a MW member ^_^ that's what a community is for right?

That’s incredibly kind of you. More than likely I’ll take you up on that offer, but if you don’t mind posting the process so I at least have an idea of what the process entails, I’d really appreciate it.

I would have to disagree with the Bandai being priced better than an Arcadia.

You've got to pay 18k yen for the VF, plus another 13k for the missiles and SSP. Assuming you can find all of the parts for retail price that's still 31k. An Arcadia PF VF-1S with SSP set retailed for just under 28k. It was under 22k for the regular version (if you don't mind doing decals yourself).

Even the standalone release is more expensive - the VF with missiles is going to be around 22k, but Arcadia's two VF-1S releases that didn't include SSP were just under 17k (and included missiles).

I'm not counting the ridiculous secondary market prices for the figures - a  $300 VF-1S, $90 missile set and $130 SSP, in three separate boxes, with shipping, will probably set you back double an Arcadia VF-1S set (roughly $230 before shipping). The DX figure is nice, but I don't see how anyone could think it's worth double an Arcadia.

Edited by jeniusornome

3 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

You've got to pay 18k yen for the VF, plus another 13k for the missiles and SSP. Assuming you can find all of the parts for retail price that's still 31k. An Arcadia PF VF-1S with SSP set retailed for just under 28k. It was under 22k for the regular version (if you don't mind doing decals yourself).

Even the standalone release is more expensive - the VF with missiles is going to be around 22k, but Arcadia's two VF-1S releases that didn't include SSP were just under 17k (and included missiles).

I'm not counting the ridiculous secondary market prices for the figures - a  $300 VF-1S, $90 missile set and $130 SSP, in three separate boxes, with shipping, will probably set you back double an Arcadia VF-1S set. The DX figure is nice, but I don't see how anyone could think it's worth double an Arcadia.

YEESH.  Too rich for my blood...

11 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

I'm not counting the ridiculous secondary market prices for the figures - a  $300 VF-1S, $90 missile set and $130 SSP, in three separate boxes, with shipping, will probably set you back double an Arcadia VF-1S set (roughly $230 before shipping). The DX figure is nice, but I don't see how anyone could think it's worth double an Arcadia.

You see the true cost of a fully decked out DX VF-1!

Well, thats the genius of bandai's marketing (besides artificially created scarcity)..... making us think the the DX Chogokins are more reasonably priced, but with all bells and whistles in (which all diehard fans will want anyway), it is waaaay more substantial that what we think we are willing to pay when we tried to convince ourselves that a plain VF-1 is enough.... 

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

to be fair you are comparing a smaller 1/60 scale to a bigger 1/48 scale .  That’s like the size difference of a Macross Zero valk to SDFM /DYRL .  And any other the Arcadia valks that is not a Premium Finish lacks the tons if pre tampo markings that’s offered by Bandai by default.  There’s also the included display stand from each Bandai valk ( I don’t care for that much , but it’s there ).  The Diecast content is much much higher on the Bandai ver too .  

I like them both Arcadia and Bandai :lol:

@Shogun93 and @Red Comet - There is another member that also had the same issue to a degree, @SuperHobo on one of his copy of the DX 1s Hikaru.

Found it after some digging.

February 21, 2020 : Page 400 [almost to the same time that bbilly trolled us with the pic of a 1/48 Hasawaga kit of Hayao's 1a and not the real thing] 

@SuperHobo: So I opened up my VF-1S and things were going well until I noticed the left leg jiggled a lot. And after doing a little disassembly I see that Bandai did not screw the hip joint in tight enough and it never quite met the other side of the joint. But in order to screw it back together I need access to the thigh via a screw, but this damn screwhole cover is not budging. Any thoughts on how to remove this screw hole cover? If only Bandai made disassembly easy.

@Lolicon: That cover is most likely super glued on, so there won't be any way to open it without breaking it. Bandai loves their super glue! Parts that I could open on the 1J can no longer be easily opened (or at all) on the 1A and 1S thanks to Bandai just going hog wild with the glue.

Bandai wants to deny you the color scheme you desire. Like a certain paint scheme? Bandai won't release it. Think you'll just make your own custom? Bandai will make it damn near impossible to do any disassembly whatsoever.

@SuperHoboUghhhh if I can't get the screwcover off, in order to screw in a loose screw holding the thigh to the intake, I might just glue the damn hip. Sigh oh Bandai. 

@Chronocidal: So, as an alternative, what if you drill out the screwcover, just accept that the cover is a lost cause, and make a new one after fixing the leg?

Personally, I would try and cut the cover in half by drilling small holes down the slot in the center, then pry it out.  Then if the halves are still good, sand away what remains of the recessed slot, and glue them together around a thin slice of plastic to rebuild the cover.  The slot won't be as obvious if it's a slightly different shade of plastic.

@SuperHoboI was able to take the screwcover off via a super thin hobby tool. Only a tiny corner was glued in. Now, to fix the rest of the thigh....

After that post, I've lost track. Superhobo did end up fixing it and sold it for less than asking price for it. 

IMG_20200221_225025.thumb.jpg.9838a892f2322e4ab9b4d33d8cdf5e67.jpg

2 hours ago, myk said:

YEESH.  Too rich for my blood...

Indeed, I went ahead and got that Hikaru DYRL VF-1S, just to have one in hand before Roy comes out, but other than that, the only other one's I'd be interested in is Hikaru TV 1S, VF-1D (Or DYRL Ostrich), and any Low Vis scheme they make, that's my kryptonite, lol. 

26 minutes ago, Kyp Durron said:

Indeed, I went ahead and got that Hikaru DYRL VF-1S, just to have one in hand before Roy comes out, but other than that, the only other one's I'd be interested in is Hikaru TV 1S, VF-1D (Or DYRL Ostrich), and any Low Vis scheme they make, that's my kryptonite, lol. 

Lemme know when you get that '1S and what you think, as I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who hasn't been mesmerized by the DX...yet lol.  

As for the low viz stuff, i'm so glad I bought that grey low viz '48 way back when as its still one of my favorites.   Do you have the grey V2 low viz '1S also?

5 hours ago, jeniusornome said:

i agree with the crappy missile price point and seperate release. Bandai is getting their 3900yen (orginal price) money back. (see all my original posts way back saying bandai is ripping us off with the missle scheme.) 

but the recent TV packs 8800yen with red tip missles is a good value. 

remember yamato sold fast packs too. 

Bandai knocked it out of the park with roy tv and the TV fast packs.    

Edited by davidwhangchoi

4 hours ago, jvmacross said:

One of 10 lottery exclusive Bandai Platinum Club "crushed" head DYRL VF-1S Focker Specials!

gallery_12176_640_39084.jpg

nice illustration JV: i was thinking about a battle damage movie roy but wouldn't know how it could be impletmented. (maybe weathered and a swappable head?)

I always wanted  a 1/48 Super TV roy have the abilityto loose it's forarm after blocking that missile volley. 

2 hours ago, myk said:

Lemme know when you get that '1S and what you think, as I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who hasn't been mesmerized by the DX...yet lol.  

As for the low viz stuff, i'm so glad I bought that grey low viz '48 way back when as its still one of my favorites.   Do you have the grey V2 low viz '1S also?

I had it, but sold it years ago, sadly. I might try and score another one one day, but I think I'll wait to see if Bandai ever does the Low Vis scheme. 

I will let you know what I think of it when I get it in hand, but I can say that from what I've seen from Anymoon's review, they definitely improved the sculpt over Yamato's 1/60 V2. 

Edited by Kyp Durron

9 hours ago, eggy99 said:

It was covered in an interview i believe. 

They stated they wanted to go 1/48 because the VF-1 is much smaller than subsequent variable fighters, and they wanted them to still look impressive when placed next to the other 1/60ish variable fighters they’ve previously released. 

That's a lame BS reason.