Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

41 minutes ago, ghostryder said:

Some fighter mode love... I did the same light panel lining to the VF-1S as I did on the VF-1J. 

Here's a comparison to the ~1/48  Robot Hero OS Skywarp.  I wish I had the new Sentinel 1/48 Legioss to add to the pic.QLQt2D.jpgshhhm1.jpgxf87fx.jpg

Wow, that Skywarp is BIG! I've never seen it contrasted against anything else.

45 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Is that basically an upsized version of the masterpiece seekers? That toy must be massive being at 1/48 scale.

Yes, upscaled MP-11 with improved leg sculpt.  They are pretty big in fighter mode, but even up in bot mode:

uic2bt.jpg

8qnAMg.jpg

BQ6nAT.jpg

Edited by ghostryder
pic

1 hour ago, ErikElvis said:

Anywhere to preorder the kakizaki 1A that’s reliable. Missed the preorder window. Hope it’s easy to snag after release. 

Yeah I’d just wait like what DYRL said. I waited for Max a couple weeks after release and got him at 212 shipped on Amazon Japan. 

Kakizaki was a Tamashii Web Exclusive so it won't be available at the usual shops like Amazon and HLJ at all.

If you didn't snag a preorder when it was open your best bet is going to be watching stores for secondary market listings - Mandarake, etc - for people who got theirs and then immediately sold them - or places like Yahoo Japan Auctions, ebay, etc.

1 hour ago, jeniusornome said:

Kakizaki was a Tamashii Web Exclusive so it won't be available at the usual shops like Amazon and HLJ at all.

If you didn't snag a preorder when it was open your best bet is going to be watching stores for secondary market listings - Mandarake, etc - for people who got theirs and then immediately sold them - or places like Yahoo Japan Auctions, ebay, etc.

Maybe NY will pull through and not jack the prices through the roof. 

15 minutes ago, jeniusornome said:

Maybe, but if we could avoid another 20 pages of discussion about NY I’d be happy. 

lol yuppp. That’s why there is a thread dedicated to it and since they lurk the board here it might be better to concentrate discussion where they can easily find it haha

My Hikaru VF-1S arrived today and I got to mess around with it some. In terms of looks and the feel of it in my hands, it just blows away the Yamato 1/48's and the Yamato/Arcadia 1/60 VF-1's. It just has such well sculpted lines and proportions, especially in battroid mode where the Yamato 1/48 had arms that felt too skinny, awful hands, and a far too long nose cone,  The details are crisp. It feels like it might be about 80% heavier than the Yamato 1/48's from all the extra metal content.

The poseability of this DX is leagues better too. I was never happy with the Yamato and Arcadia ones. The leg motion was fairly limited without having to resort to weird looking leg positions. You couldn't get a good wide leg stance and the ratched feet further limited the stances you could have where the toy could stand on its own. The DX's ability to make a wide stance along with the feet being on a ball joint gives so much more freedom.

Even the little pilot figure is better. Instead of having shapeless blobs for hands, it actually has thumbs as well and the arms are positioned so that the fingers and thumbs go around the flightstick and throttle in the cockpit. A really nice touch indeed.

I just have a few nitpicks, like the arms being held in place in fighter mode through friction alone, the large gap between the folding flap and the backpack, and it being hard to handle in fighter mode without constantly knocking the stabilizers on the legs or the head lasers out of place.

Now I just need the DYRL FAST packs to be re-released at a reasonable price along with the missile sets. It's dumb that those missiles are their own separate release and don't come with the toy or the FAST packs for the price they're already charging for them.

Blows away the '48 and the V2?  That's quite a statement.  Also the weapons being sold separately is irritating and insulting to me.  If it wasnt for roy I never would've given the DX a thought...

Edited by myk

blow away the v.2 1/60? better, but not by much, the 1/60 is a decade old mold which still stands today at near the top. it's so good bandai stole and outright copied the design, made some nice improvements to the leg posiblity and threw on a heap of tampos. 

where Bandai is killing is price point for the size you get for the DX.  the value is so superior vs. an arcadia. it's so much cheaper than an arcadia 1/60. all that tampo and larger scale for less money. the value is defiinately there. 

it forced arcadia to throw in free premium VE-1 tampos at a lesser price point. (kinda too late Arcadia)  

18 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

where Bandai is killing is price point for the size you get for the DX.  the value is so superior vs. an arcadia. it's so much cheaper than an arcadia 1/60. all that tampo and larger scale for less money. the value is defiinately there. 

The Bandai price point is way too low......it is worth more than the MSRP.....they just need to price it accordingly......no one is out there trying buy out VF-0D's on PO day....^_^

I am thinking $250-ish would "hold the line" on first day scalping....oh and pay up front would go along way...

8 minutes ago, myk said:

Blows away the '48 and the V2?  That's quite a statement.  Also the weapons being sold separately is irritating and insulting to me.  If it wasnt for roy I never would've given the DX a thought...

Yep. I firmly stand by my opinion on that. It's got an impressive heft to it, the range of movement, the sharpness of the mold and details are just so much better. And the hands... it's got every finger and knuckle individually poseable and very well proportioned all around. It's also got a much lower center of gravity due to most of the weight being in the legs and feet. It was kind of a waste to have the fixed pose hands included and I'd have rather they used that plastic for some AMM-1 missiles instead.

6 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

blow away the v.2 1/60? better, but not by much, the 1/60 is a decade old mold which still stands today at near the top. it's so good bandai stole and outright copied the design, made some nice improvements to the leg posiblity and threw on a heap of tampos. 

it forced arcadia to throw in free premium VE-1 tampos at a lesser price point. (kinda too late Arcadia)  

I personally think it's a lot better. Don't get me wrong, I still love the 1/60 v2 and yes both the Yamato 1/48 and the 1/60 v2 pioneered the way. but the 1/48 lacks greatly in poseability and has some proportion issues and the 1/60, while fixing most of the proportion issues, lacks in detail and lost the waist swivel. The ratcheted feet with relatively few fixed positions on the 1/60 also makes it difficult to get nice looking poses that are stable for the toy to stand on its own. The DX has details galore even in places you'd be hard pressed to see normally, great proportions, great looking and functional hands, far more range of movement, and ball jointed feet that allow you to put the feet at the angle you need instead of forcing you to have the legs angled to match the feet and get it to balance. It also does a much better job hiding screw holes like in the back or inner sides of the arm and legs and at covering gaps like at the top of battroid mode.

None of the above is even accounting for the tampo printing, btw.

4 minutes ago, Duymon said:

well then we can say it blows away the 1/48 and 1/60 v2 yammie in both features and expense =@

Yeah... it's stupidly expensive, particularly if you want to get the FAST packs and missiles. I'll likely be looking to get a Roy and then I'm done because 1/48 doesn't match the scale of the rest of my collection and these DX VF-1s are more like a centerpiece sort of thing for my collection.

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

The Bandai price point is way too low......it is worth more than the MSRP.....they just need to price it accordingly......no one is out there trying buy out VF-0D's on PO day....^_^

I am thinking $250-ish would "hold the line" on first day scalping....oh and pay up front would go along way...

No one buys out the VF-0D on PO day because they don't disappear .000005 sec after they come up for pre-order. Arcadia actually seems to make them to order (like what the purpose of a pre-order SHOULD be) instead of deciding from the start to make only 20 to be distributed and make everyone fight to get one on PO launch.

7 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

agree, it's priced too low. 

imagine if the premium 0D was 17900yen at pre-order? would be killing.              at close to 500 :unsure: arcadia going keep releases 1 every 2.5 years.   

1 minute ago, MacrossJunkie said:

It also does a much better job hiding screw holes like in the back or inner sides of the arm and legs and at covering gaps like at the top of battroid mode.

arcadio covers screw the holes on the VF-1 

2 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Well that doesn't help with all the 1/60 VF-1s I do have... none of which have the screw holes like those covered.

i don't think they will go to your house retroactively plug them in:lol:

In all seriousness, i prefer with out them as it's easier to access to retighten loost joints or repair the valk.  The screw covers are a pain to get out on the 1/60 VF-1. I don't like them personally.  

Well yeah, but the ones I have are the basis of my comparison. To say they have them NOW doesn't improve the ones I do have, for which the complaint of having the screws exposed is valid, and I have no plans on re-buying them for the screw covers :P I don't know when they started adding the screw covers because that VF-1S is an Arcadia release also.

Screw covers aside, everything else I said is still valid from my perspective.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

what if someone were to claim, the crotch mechinism is so superior on the DX vs. arcadia 1/60 v.2 toy bc they only have the early 2.0 releases and they complain the 1/60 crotch are so hard to lock in? i don't think it would be a good comparison or conclusion to say the dx is better based on those observations.    

anyways, cool beans, the 1/48 is cool. i like it too.

6 minutes ago, treatment said:

tampos are nice.

when they're correct...

:5:

:bump:

They are a bit overdone aren't they? Yet they still missed canon ones like the little skull squadron symbol near the cockpit.

5 minutes ago, davidwhangchoi said:

what if someone were to claim, the crotch mechinism is so superior on the DX vs. arcadia 1/60 v.2 toy bc they only have the early 2.0 releases and they complain the 1/60 crotch are so hard to lock in? i don't think it would be a good comparison or conclusion to say the dx is better based on those observations.    

anyways, cool beans, the 1/48 is cool. i like it too.

Okay, let me amend my statement. They did a much better job at hiding the screw holes than all of the Yamato 1/60 v2 VF-1s and the early Arcadia ones. The rest I said still remains as is.

Edited by MacrossJunkie

8 minutes ago, weiser21 said:

I wonder why Bandai didn't make any 1/60 VF-1s...

It was covered in an interview i believe. 

They stated they wanted to go 1/48 because the VF-1 is much smaller than subsequent variable fighters, and they wanted them to still look impressive when placed next to the other 1/60ish variable fighters they’ve previously released. 

4 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

They stated they wanted to go 1/48 because the VF-1 is much smaller than subsequent variable fighters, and they wanted them to still look impressive when placed next to the other 1/60ish variable fighters they’ve previously released. 

Interesting. Thanks for the info!

Unfortunate though because I'd rather have things in a common scale when it makes sense to (doesn't make sense to have a 1/60 SDF-1 for example).

16 minutes ago, eggy99 said:

That's a negative in my book....they probably either could not get the 1/60 license or figured collectors may not have been too eager to "double-dipped" on another

1/60 VF-1.....yet!

So they went the Yamato route..........go big, grab the cash, then shrink it later....and then double-dip on our cash! :rolleyes: