Bandai DX Chogokin 1/48 VF-1

IXTL

Just so you guys know, I blame this thread and the mospeada thread for going from ...."Wow look at the cool transforming toy eye candy" ..... to clearly begin clearing stuff out for a eventual 1/48 Bandai purchase at some point.  It's bad enough I bought a Legioss.... now you guys keep talking up the Bandai stuff!  I mean sheesh... talk about peer pressure.....

1 hour ago, sqidd said:

Oooooooooohhhhhhhhh, so I'm just stupid then!:rofl:

I had no idea. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Slave IV said:

Same here, lol! I think I may have clicked the right spot on accident before to get the desired results but never paid enough attention to know what was actually working or not.

No problemo, friends.

Yeah, it isn't obvious, given how the link is formatted but I'm glad I was able to help. :friends: 

2 minutes ago, Dax415 said:

Just so you guys know, I blame this thread and the mospeada thread for going from ...."Wow look at the cool transforming toy eye candy" ..... to clearly begin clearing stuff out for a eventual 1/48 Bandai purchase at some point.  It's bad enough I bought a Legioss.... now you guys keep talking up the Bandai stuff!  I mean sheesh... talk about peer pressure.....

Well his is a Bandai DX thread so what else would we talk about?:D

The Sentinel Legioss is fantastic by the way. If it helps at all, it has actually been overshadowing my DX Valks since I got it. 

21 minutes ago, MacrossJunkie said:

Could be also to also extend the bullet travel through the gunpod and so provide greater accuracy and exit velocity.

Out of universe, it's probably just because it's a cool gimmick.

"nominal “effective range” is listed as 1,100m (1.1 kilometers) with a margin of error of 200-300mm (20-30 centimeters)" so even if we assume that's in space so that it doesn't need to account for wind or gravity, it's pretty damn accurate!

Want to spend a fun 15 minutes? Check out more gunpod info here: http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrosstechman/tech-gunpod.html

Edited by RedComet

6 minutes ago, Slave IV said:

Well his is a Bandai DX thread so what else would we talk about?:D

The Sentinel Legioss is fantastic by the way. If it helps at all, it has actually been overshadowing my DX Valks since I got it. 

Same here, can't wait for Sentinel to announce the Tread (I'm pretty confident it will come given some details on the Legioss) so I can put them with the DXs.

6 minutes ago, sixtybucks said:

Same here, can't wait for Sentinel to announce the Tread (I'm pretty confident it will come given some details on the Legioss) so I can put them with the DXs.

Heck yeah! I've been waiting a lifetime for a great Legioss/Tread combo and this is going to be it. I'm in for every color of the rainbow and then some.

4 hours ago, ghostryder said:

How prevalent is this issue with everyone's VF-1S?  Both my specimens have a slightly crooked/leaning  001 tampo on the starboard side, port side not as bad.

1FQmqK.jpg

I have one 1S and starboard is slightly crooked too. 

It was discussed before and if I'm not mistaken all of them are the same.

3 hours ago, RedComet said:

Glad you finally found it!

What is the in-universe reason for the gun pod extending anyway? Closest I could get to something that made sense was talk about how the VF-0 version extended to vent heat. Are we all good with that for a reasonable explanation?

Maybe its like a telescoping butt stock in real world firearms, which should not make sense for a robot firing a gun....haha

Edited by Guyffon

8 minutes ago, sixtybucks said:

How do you know it's a proxy? it's $347

Because of the PO madness, some are still conditioned to look at the add to cart button first. :shok:

Not a joke. The days after the PO, my fingers were literally trigger happy before my eyes came in. 

Vlenhoff, I like your display with the dark all around and the light only on the VF-1S and the (I assume) Perfect Grade Gundam Wing Zero.  Question, when you were assembling the Perfect Grade, did/do you have an issue with the legs coming off the connection to the hip?  Also, you hands look so much prettier than my Perfect Grades do, did you do anything special.  Thanks!

Twich

24 minutes ago, twich said:

Vlenhoff, I like your display with the dark all around and the light only on the VF-1S and the (I assume) Perfect Grade Gundam Wing Zero.  Question, when you were assembling the Perfect Grade, did/do you have an issue with the legs coming off the connection to the hip?  Also, you hands look so much prettier than my Perfect Grades do, did you do anything special.  Thanks!

Twich

Thanks @twich! I do like high contrast photography! I did use a white piece of paper off camera to reflect light to the underbelly of the 1S. Otherwise a lot of detail would be lost. This is a temporary place holder for the 1S, but I do love how it looks. I should have two 1/60 valks there instead. Yes, it is a nearly 20 year old 1/60 PG Wing Zero Custom. I recall one of the legs did slide off from the hip peg, but i slid it back in with no problems. The left outer "triceps" cover pops off easily. One of the big wings do slide easily if you try to do try to pose them. I only rarely pose my Gundams, so this thing has been posed like 3 times in 19 years. The hands are original, and they do look too slim, but I managed to pose in a way that looks as natural as possible. 

kgd2SVl.thumb.jpg.131f8b64aeabc9a6ae1ba8eae9efa5d1.jpg

All in all, I didn't really finish it, and/or sanded the places where i clipped the parts. I may do a wash on it eventually. I do love it, but I think it could have been better than it is. This is my only PG, as it's flaws prevented me to venture in other PG versions. I am sure they have improved over the years. The other PG Gundam I would try is a newer RX-78 or RX-79 from the 8thMS series.

Sorry for hijacking the thread gents!

15 hours ago, sqidd said:

About a million years ago someone posted a pic of a DX Max (I think it was a Max) posed like the SOCOM guys shoot. They had the gun pod collapsed so it could be pulled in tighter and I think the pic was taken outside. I just went through an eye bleeding number of pages here and in the  1/48+fp's, 1/60+fp's, 1/72, 1/2k, 1/3k,1/100 and now 1/144 thread looking for it. I can't find it. I'm hoping someone knows where it is (maybe a different thread) or the person who posted it up can post it again. It looked really great and i'm trying to replicate it....with little luck. Thanks!

This is the shooting stance but the pic was from a different angle.

SOCOM.jpg.aef4bbd2055184874bff752f2eb5bb9b.jpg

Chris Costa :)

Imust have watched Magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine a million times when it first came out, lol!

PB083712.JPG.2fd1469508f3d8a838a55348f9d1b579.JPG

48041623_375550746585354_7655886214230179840_o.jpg.e4f9258d94c7ee0dd6eeb16b8f2b10d7.jpg

I tried to get the Valk to hunch over more, but it wasn't possible.

10 hours ago, RedComet said:

"nominal “effective range” is listed as 1,100m (1.1 kilometers) with a margin of error of 200-300mm (20-30 centimeters)" so even if we assume that's in space so that it doesn't need to account for wind or gravity, it's pretty damn accurate!

Want to spend a fun 15 minutes? Check out more gunpod info here: http://www.macross2.net/m3/macrosstechman/tech-gunpod.html

How big is that round?

I shoot my IMG-20190818-WA0006.jpg.07ed4615abd8cdfba288584c3239d9b2.jpg50bmg out to 1km once in a while.  All depends on whether I'm using $hitty bulk ammo or the match grade stuff.  That being said, I also have 308 and 6.5cm that can easily reach out to 1km and hit a torso sized gong.

11 hours ago, RedComet said:

Actually that's not great. Especially considering that there is no atmosphere to shoot though. And not much gravity to contend with. And also, a "robot" stabilized shooting platform. But it is a "carbine"/ grunt gun and not a precision rifle. I would like to think that at that level of technology it would be better though. It's a 1MOA gun. About the same you get out of a decent AR-15/M4 which is probably a pretty good gauge of a "grunt gun". They could have given it an accuracy much better. It is made up after all. If it was a .25MOA gun I wouldn't bat an eye or question it in the Macross universe. The range is way off though. Currently the worlds longest sniper shot is 3,450m. I would hope the VF-1 would be much better than that. Especially in space where the range is who knows how far? How long does it take a solar winds to slow a round down?:unknw: Now that I think about it, there should be two specs. One in space, one on the surface. 

My .308 has a margin of error of 140mm over 1,100m (.5MOA). Man I hope I calculated that right. I just woke up and haven't had coffee yet. And that is with a person running it. Disclaimer: That number is theory. I've shot .5MOA with it at 600m. It's the longest range I have access to.  I shouldn't have technology better than a VF-1.:D That said, the VF-1 can just rip 20 rounds out in a slight arc and will absolutely hit what it's aimed at. It's not intended as a one shot one kill weapon.

Wow, I just went full gun nerd for my first post of the day.8P

My .308. I should have gotten a bolt gun. 

82044638_932721243915508_4631316075691481775_n.jpg.c6dd2c8f3b2b9072716c1b1080844499.jpg

Edited by sqidd

20 minutes ago, peter said:

Chris Costa :)

Imust have watched Magpul's Art of the Tactical Carbine a million times when it first came out, lol!

PB083712.JPG.2fd1469508f3d8a838a55348f9d1b579.JPG

48041623_375550746585354_7655886214230179840_o.jpg.e4f9258d94c7ee0dd6eeb16b8f2b10d7.jpg

I tried to get the Valk to hunch over more, but it wasn't possible.

12 minutes ago, peter said:

How big is that round?

I shoot my IMG-20190818-WA0006.jpg.07ed4615abd8cdfba288584c3239d9b2.jpg50bmg out to 1km once in a while.  All depends on whether I'm using $hitty bulk ammo or the match grade stuff.  That being said, I also have 308 and 6.5cm that can easily reach out to 1km and hit a torso sized gong.

You did a fantastic job of getting that pose down though. Even "not hunched enough" it's fantastic.:good:

Maaannnnnn, I was all set to finally get a 50BMG this year. Then I found out I have nowhere to shoot it in Michigan that is within 3hrs.:( And a .338 just isn't as sexy as a 50BMG . If you're getting a big gun, get a BIG gun!!!

BTW, nice rig! So jealous! 

10 hours ago, ghostryder said:

Do your decal sheets have 001s of the same size? Because now that I've seen it printed straight... :(

At present, no. It seems to be a relatively rare printing issue (I think) and I was trying to keep the sheet small, both to conserve ink and to keep the price low. With the current set layout, there isn't room. I could always print some up separately for folks who are interested and include them with an order of the current set.

7 hours ago, sqidd said:

You did a fantastic job of getting that pose down though. Even "not hunched enough" it's fantastic.:good:

Maaannnnnn, I was all set to finally get a 50BMG this year. Then I found out I have nowhere to shoot it in Michigan that is within 3hrs.:( And a .338 just isn't as sexy as a 50BMG . If you're getting a big gun, get a BIG gun!!!

BTW, nice rig! So jealous! 

Haha, I have to drive 4 hrs to shoot my 50.....so it sees the light of day only a few times a year.  

I was thinking about the gunpod's ejection chamber on my DX and noticed that it closes when the gunpod stock is collapsed....but I've seen the thing shoot in fighter mode....so does it extend when firing to let the empty cases eject, is there an alternative ejection port for fighter mode, or maybe uses an internal brass catcher when collapsed, or maybe Bandai got the design wrong, or maybe I'm overthinking it since it's a cartoon, lol!